Author Topic: #0071/0072: Robservations 07/11/01: A Suspect Day With Roger  (Read 1338 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #71 - The morning mist has formed a lace curtain around Collinwood, almost like the haze that surround the ghosts which live within its walls, ghosts which haunt a family which lives with fear.

Roger comes downstairs at Collinwood as the clock strikes, and he compares his watch to its time. He goes into the drawing room and dials the phone, asking for the sheriff. Good morning, he greets Patterson, you're quite an early bird. I have to be, says Patterson, to keep up with what's happening in this town--what can I do for you? I thought I might catch you before I went to the office, says Roger, I was wondering when you might complete your investigation. It's a funny thing, says George, I've just been sitting here looking at the papers on my desk, wondering the same thing--I don't think Bill Malloy had half as many words written about him when he was alive. Then you are getting a written report ready for the coroner, says Roger. Yes, I'm getting it ready to dress up in a nice, red ribbon and drop it in his lap, says Patterson. When do you think it will be decided? asks Roger. I won't be through with this until 11, says Patterson, writing, then I've still got to get it over to him. It shouldn't take him long to decide Bill's death was accidental, says Roger--that he simply fell in the water and drowned. If that's the answer, probably not, agrees George, there are other possibilities, you know--suicide, maybe. You think that will be the decision? asks Roger. No, says Patterson, in my mind, it will be either accident or homicide, by person or persons yet unknown--if it's accident, the case will be dropped, if it's the other, you and I will be talking about it again. When do you expect to know? asks Roger. Stop worrying, says the sheriff, you'll get the answer soon enough. I'm not worried, says Roger, Malloy was our plant manager, this is of interest to me.
I'm sure it is, says Patterson--well, if I ever get back to this report, we should find out which way we're going to go sometime today--is that soon enough for you? Roger nods.

Roger stands gazing out the drawing room window. He checks his watch again, then goes back to the phone. (Love those dialing sounds.) He asks to speak to Patterson again--tell him I have some additional...never mind, forget it. Roger enters the foyer and spies Vicki on the landing. He greets her good morning and says she's saved him several unnecessary steps. Good for me, says Vicki. I was on my way upstairs to find you, he says. Complaints so early in the morning? asks Vicki, heading downstairs. A dozen, he teases, how could we start our day without our battles? Vicki meets him at the bottom and says more pleasantly than usual--Mr. Collins. You see, you've already forgotten to call me Roger, he says. I'm sorry, Roger, she says, what did you want to see me about? I was just wondering how well you're getting along with David, he says, we had a talk about you yesterday, you know. I think he's trusting me a little more, says Vicki, as Roger leads her into the drawing room and seats her in a chair--he'd even be willing to introduce me to his friends. Friends? asks Roger--I didn't know he had any friends. Ghosts, says Vicki--he took me to the Old House last night to have me meet them--that's a scary place. Yes, and a good place to stay away from, says Roger--did you meet any ghosts? No, but I dreamt about them all night long, she says--I must have awakened 20 times thinking there was something in my room. What you need is a change, an excursion away from all our gloom, he says. David's lessons start at nine, she tells him. You've never seen our cannery, have you? he asks. I haven't had time, she says. Today I'm going to conduct you myself on a personal tour, he says. What about David? she asks. Let's be extravagant and give him the day off, says Roger. That sounds marvelous, but I don't think Mrs. Stoddard would approve, says Vicki. I'll phone her from the office and tell her I have spirited you away, he says, and don't worry, any blame will fall on my well-accustomed shoulders. In that case, I'll do it, she agrees. Good girl--and to celebrate your holiday, I'll buy you breakfast at the hotel cafe, he promises--orange juice, pancakes, bacon and eggs, milk, coffee, toast, anything else you want. All I want is just two minutes, she says. After breakfast, says Roger, there might be one stop I must make, but you don't mind do you? You're the excursion director, she says--two minutes--and she goes upstairs, smiling. Roger looks very pleased with himself--and calculating.

Burke visits Patterson at his office. Doesn't anybody sleep late in this town?--what do you want, Burke, asks the sheriff. I thought I might buy you breakfast, says Burke. I've had my breakfast, says Patterson. Oh you shouldn't eat and work at the same time--bad for your digestion, says Burke. So are interruptions when I'm trying to get something done, says Patterson. That the report for the coroner? Asks Burke. Patterson turns over the paper he's working on and asks Burke what he wants. Cup of coffee if you've got another one brewing, says Burke. Go to the hotel restaurant, says Patterson, I'm the worst cook in the world--my coffee would make you sick. Then we'll just skip it, says Burke, sitting in a chair in front of his desk--we'll talk about those papers--you have finished your investigation, haven't you? Yup, says Patterson. How do things add up to you? asks Burke. I knew I'd be sorry if I let you sit down, says Patterson. You talked to a lot of people about Malloy's death, says Burke, how does it look to you? Patterson closes the file and offers to get him the coffee. I thought you said it might make me sick, says Burke. Maybe that's exactly what I want to do, says Patterson, and Burke laughs.

Burke makes a face as he drinks the coffee, pronouncing it lousy. Just like my mood, says Patterson. When do you expect the coroner's findings? Asks Burke. Sometime today, says Patterson, sitting on his desk. How do you think it will go?--you must have some idea--it's your report he'll be reading. What's your guess? asks Patterson. I think it depends on how much weight the Collins family carries, says Burke. They own the biggest house, says Patterson, the biggest fishing fleet, cannery--but they don't own me or the coroner! I'd like to believe that, says Burke. You'd better believe it, advises Patterson, annoyed--no matter how this decision goes, it's going to be an honest decision, and I don't want any trouble from you! Burke rises and asks if he's expecting a finding of accidental death by drowning. Maybe, maybe not, I wouldn't know, says Patterson. Case closed, forget all about it, Roger goes walking around, free and easy, says Burke. If that's how the decision goes, that's right, we will forget about it, says Patterson, all of us, including you! Malloy was murdered, says Burke.
Maybe, maybe not, I wouldn't know, says Patterson. What is the answer going to be? demands Burke. I told you, says Patterson, I'll probably get the answer sometime today, but no matter how it goes, accident or homicide, I'm warning you, hands off! He sits back down at his desk and Burke leaves.

And how do they get the sardines out of the boats? Vicki asks Roger. They are having breakfast at the hotel restaurant. By suction through a large tube, he says, like a giant vacuum cleaner. I can't wait to see it, says Vicki. You will, ever bit of it, he promises. It's funny your family should start with whales and end up with sardines, says Vicki. They've all contributed, he says, all helped build the house on Widows' Hill. And Bill Malloy, says Vicki. Roger looks at her. It must be very hard for you now that he's gone, remarks Vicki. At the cannery or personally? Asks Roger. Both, she says--actually, I was thinking about the cannery, you must have an awful lot of work now without any manager. Yes, I miss Bill's help a lot, says Roger--he was an extremely effective worker--poor man. Vicki apologizes for bringing it up--how do the fishing boats know where to find the sardines? From experience, he says, you know, Vicki, I'm sure you'll agree with me that the best thing that could happen to any of us would be if all the questions about Bill's death were completely answered and finished. Of course, she agrees. The sheriff is working right this minute on a report to hand over to the coroner, he says, it's based on his investigations. Will that settle it? she asks. I hope so, says Roger, providing he gets all the necessary information that he needs--if he does, I'm sure that the findings will prove that Bill's death was accidental due to drowning. Burke enters the restaurant and says "I don't think you'll be quite that lucky, Roger." He goes over to the counter.

Doughnuts and coffee, Burke orders from the waitress. What were we talking about? Roger asks Vicki after an awkward pause. Mr. Malloy, says Vicki. No, before that, says Roger--oh, I know--how the fishing boats find out where the sardines are. And you said it was by experience and luck, says Vicki. There's much more to it than that, says Roger, looking where Vicki is looking, at Burke. It's really quite interesting, says Roger. Vicki apologizes. Occasionally, we hire plans to fly over the areas where there might be sardines, he explains, and they radio back to us and we tells the boat where the fish are. The sardines don't stand a chance, says Vicki.
The Collins cannery isn't a sporting enterprise but a business--not a vendetta whose sole aim is destruction--he looks at Burke as he says this. Roger, please don't, says Vicki. Would you like some more coffee? Offers Roger. No thank you, says Vicki. Roger says he's going to make a phone call to the cannery, saying he'll be a little late--excuse me. He gives Burke a dirty look as he passes. Burke goes over to asks Vicki if she's playing hooky. Roger...Mr. Collins was planning to show me the cannery, she says. How nice for you, he says--they're really taking you into the family, aren't they? I think it will be very interesting, she says, uncomfortable. Oh, it is, he assures her, I have a special interest in the Collins canneries myself. About the other night, I'm sorry, she says. You don't have to apologize to me, he says--you helped Roger out of a tight jam, that's all. That's what I wanted to talk to you about, she says. You're guide is coming back, he says, I'm afraid it's time for the next activity. Where will you be later? she asks. If you really do want to talk to me, he says, I'll be here, waiting. Shall we go? asks roger, hat in hand. All right, says Vicki. I'll be right here, Burke tells Vicki, and Roger leads her away, saying he has one more place to stop. They leave the restaurant. The waitress passes by Burke, then brings coffee and doughnut to his table.

We see Vicki and Roger strolling down the sidewalks of Collinsport, smiling at each other. He leads her across the street and into the sheriff's office. Patterson works at his desk. Vicki and Roger enter, and Patterson rises and asks if there's anything he can do for them.
Is there anything I can do for you? says Roger, and says he hopes he doesn't mind his bringing Miss Winters along, he's taking her to the cannery to show her around--then he had an idea he might be able to add something to the report he's sending to the coroner. Well, can you? asks Patterson hopefully. I don't know, says Roger. It seemed to me we went over all the ground, says Patterson. I suppose we did, says Roger, I just wanted to show Miss Winters what the inside of a sheriff's office looked like. You're getting the grand tour today, Patterson tells Vicki. It looks like it, she agrees. This is it, he says, wanted posters, filing cabinet, desk, water cooler, coffee pot and lots of paperwork--which I really should get done in the next couple of hours. I think the sheriff wants us to leave, says Vicki. Unless you do have something to add to the report, says Patterson. I'm not sure, says Roger...we know that Bill died at a quarter of 11. Patterson pours coffee. I assume that is in the report, says Roger. Naturally, says Patterson. And, says Roger, I assume that you also have my statement to the effect I didn't leave the house until 10 of 11, so I couldn't have had anything to do with Bill's death. I have that statement, yes, agrees Patterson. I assume the report will list that statement as unsubstantiated, will it not? asks Roger. Yes, agrees Patterson. Suppose there were someone who could corroborate that, says Roger, my alibi, so to speak--would that be of any help to you? It would be of help to YOU, says Patterson (get him, George). Then we are fortunate we happened to come this way, says Roger to Vicki, pushing her into a chair--you can help bring the sheriff's report up to date--Miss Winters was on he way to bed when I left--I forgot to mention it to you earlier. You saw Mr. Collins leave the house? asks Patterson. Not exactly, replies Vicki, I came downstairs to speak to him, we talked for a while, then I went upstairs to bed--I heard him leave. What time did he leave the house? asks Patterson. I can't exactly say for sure, says Vicki, but I have every reason to believe it was 10 minutes of 11. There are quite a few qualifying words in that statement, says Patterson. I'm sorry, but I can't be any more accurate, she says. No, but it is a help, isn't it? asks Roger. Anything is a help, agrees Patterson. And it will go into the report, says Roger. Yes, it will, says Patterson. Fine, says Roger, I guess we'd better run along now and let the sheriff get back to his work--I'm sorry to break into your day like this, George. Not at all, says Patterson, clearly knowing the reason for this visit. They all say goodbye, and as they're leaving, Roger assures Vicki she really has a nice experience ahead of her now. Patterson sits back down with a sigh, shaking his head.

Vicki thanks Roger for showing her around the cannery as they leave the fleet office (lots of wonderful outdoor shots today). My pleasure, he assures her, and she leaves. He watches her walk away, leaning against a can on the boardwalk.

Collinsport Inn - Vicki enters and finds Burke drinking coffee in the restaurant. She apologizes to him for being late. Did you enjoy the tour? He asks. It was very interesting, she says. Did Roger show you the place where they cut the heads off the fish? He asks. I don't want to talk about the cannery, she says--I want you to know I'm not taking sides in this. Look, the other night I went up to Collinwood to have it out with Roger, says Burke--we went around and around about Bill Malloy's death--and then he brought you into the room, and you gave him a solid gold alibi. I told the truth, she insists. He leans forward. I think Roger killed Malloy, says Burke, but if what you say is true, he couldn't have done it--and I am wrong--and I know I'm not wrong. if you remember, I said I wasn't sure, she tells him. He stands. You were sure enough the other night, says Burke, to get him off the hook! She stops him before he leaves, calling his name. That's the way life is, says Burke, sometimes there's nothing to do but sit around and wait--things even themselves out sooner or later. I'm working at Collinwood for one reason, she reminds him, and you know what that is. Don't you understand? he asks--if you're working there and lose sight of what you are, trying to find out who you are or who you think you are. And what do you think I am? she asks. You're a decent, honest girl, he says--and a very attractive one, too. Patterson enters and greets them. Burke asks if the report went in? Yes, says Patterson, then tells Vicki that she can inform Roger that he included what she told him today about the time he left the house. You certainly do get around, says Burke, pissed off, don't you? Vicki looks away. DO you expect a finding today? Asks Burke. The coroner will probably call me in for additional questioning, says Patterson, but yes, it will probably be sometime today--how about some of your good coffee? He ask the waitress. Then I guess I have time to take you home, says Burke. You can't go back to Collinwood, she protests. Why not? he asks--because they threw me out the other night?--look at me, I'm trembling--come on. They leave. Patterson watches them go. You know something, Suzie, he says to the waitress, there are two kinds of fools in the world--the ones who know they're making fools of themselves and the ones who are sure they're not--it's the second kind that makes the most trouble for me. He goes to the counter and sits down.

Vicki enters Collinwood, but tells Burke she really doesn't think he should be here. How would you have gotten home, walk? He asks. I could have taken a taxi or bus, she says. I don't understand why Roger didn't see you home, says Burke, after that favor you've done him not once, but twice. I told you, I had no India we were going to the sheriff's office, she says. He chuckles--and you still think you can stay uninvolved, idea? he asks, entering Collinwood--poor little governess--the world's crashing in about her head and she doesn't even know it. If Mrs. Stoddard finds you here, says Vicki nervously, she's going to be furious. Me?--an old, trusted member of the family? quips Burke. Don't be an idiot, she says. Oh, no, he tells her, I'm not--I'm the only sane one in this mess, except maybe you--I'm not afraid of them--I never have been and never will be! You didn't have to come back to the house, she says. I came back because I wanted to, he says, and it won't be the last time, either--I'll be here again, and I'll be seeing you again
--and maybe when the world does crash, I'll be able to save a small piece for you to stand on. And he looks around, says, "Say hello to Mrs. Stoddard for me," then leaves. Vicki enters Collinwood and closes the doors.

NOTES: Once again, Roger is being super-sneaky. He only took Vicki out for the day to make sure she told Patterson about seeing Roger before he left that night. Roger is slimy and coming across as an untrustworthy, evil man. Burke, by comparison, seems kinder, more honest and much more likable. I sense Vicki likes him a lot and wants to be seen in a positive way in his eyes. Patterson and Vicki herself saw through Roger today, and his pathetic efforts to ensure that he isn't blamed for Malloy's murder. The question is, is he to blame?

Episode #72 - Collinwood is a cauldron of tension; desperately as I have tried, I have been unable to avoid involvement in the mystery of a man's death--a mystery that reveals hidden emotions and brings unexpected hatred s to the surface.

Vicki gazes from her bedroom window. She opens her closet and takes out a dress, then takes scissors from a box on her dresser. Carolyn knocks and enters. I was just going to take up the hem on this dress, explains Vicki--do you want to help me? I don't think you need any help, says Carolyn, her tone angry.. I'm not all that good, says Vicki, back in the foundling home... Look, I'm sick and tired of your endless stories about the foundling home, says Carolyn meanly--Little Orphan Annie does pretty week for herself. What's hit you? asks Vicki. that's a pretty dress, observes Carolyn--planning on wearing it for a big date tonight? No, says Vicki, I've been meaning to pick up the hem for a long time but never got around to it--I decided today I might as well. I'll be you did, says Carolyn sarcastically. What IS this? asks Vicki. You are really something, says Carolyn, arms crossed, you know that--walking around with that innocent smile and sweet stares
--poor little Vicki Winters, who only wants to do the right thing--I've just about had it with you! I think you'd better tell me what you're talking about, says Vicki. Why don't you go home--pack your bags and go back to that precious foundling home? Hurt, Vicki stares at her. (Carolyn gets down-and-dirty vicious!)

I don't understand you--what have I done? asks Vicki. What has she done, mocks Carolyn--you think nothing's been happening around here--for your information, Miss Winters, a good friend of our family has just died, and someone has been going around and accusing my uncle of murdering him. Oh, says Vicki. that's right--oh, mocks Carolyn--the other night, Burke Devlin came to this house and stuck knives into my Uncle Roger--and don't tell me you don't know about it, because I know you were there. Yes, says Vicki, helping and giving him an alibi. Sure, that was that night, says Carolyn, then suddenly you switch--you decide to play the other side of the fence--whose side are you on, Vicki? No one's, replies Vicki, I'm just trying to do my job, that's all! don't play innocent with me, orders Carolyn, not 10 minutes ago, I saw you and Burke Devlin driving up to this house! I saw him in town, he insisted on driving me home, says Vicki. You KNEW my mother didn't want him up here anymore! storms Carolyn, or my uncle! I tried to talk him out of it, explains Vicki. What were you doing talking to him at all? demands Carolyn--you were hired to give my nephew his school lessons--not to play footsy with the man who wants to put my uncle in prison! She walks away. I've had enough of this, says Vicki. What's the big plan for tonight--dinner, a few dances, a little more talk? asks Carolyn. I think you'd better leave, advises Vicki. Carolyn whirls on her--you and Burke Devlin--I never would have believed it! There is nothing to believe, can't you understand that? asks Vicki. what did you talk about--the price of sardines? Asks Carolyn--or maybe you both had a big laugh over what a silly kid I am. You're being ridiculous, says Vicki. I suppose he told you I was chasing after him--well, I'm not--you can have him, Vicki, with my blessing--but I think you'll have the decency to quit your job and leave! You're talking nonsense, says Vicki, Burke means nothing to me. He drove you home, didn't he? asks Carolyn. Why are you angry, asks Vicki--because I brought him to the house--or because he drove me home? You're talking in riddles, says Carolyn. For the past five minutes, you've been ranting and raving, says Vicki, not because I met an enemy of your family, but because I met Burke Devlin. You think I'm jealous, is that it? asks Carolyn. I hope you're not, says Vicki, because you're right about him--he can be very dangerous to your family. Oh I get it! says Carolyn, now comes the big speech telling me to stay away from him and ;leave the field clear for you. Not that speech, says Vicki--just one question, one you asked me just a little while ago--whose side are you on? Carolyn glares at her, and leaves the room, slamming the door behind her.

Sarah Johnson sits in the Inn's phone booth, asking Burke if he heard anything about the coroner's decision on Malloy's death--no, I haven't heard a word from Collinwood--I guess they decided they don't want a housekeeper up there--oh, of course I'll let you know--we're in this together, aren't you?--that's right. She exits the booth and Maggie greets her from behind the counter--we don't see you in here very often. Is your roast beef well-cooked? asks Sarah. Any way you want it, says Maggie. I'll have a well-done roast beef sandwich, orders Sarah. Anything on it? asks Maggie. Is your lettuce well-washed? Asks Sarah. Maggie smiles crookedly and says she did it herself this morning in the Laundromat--mayonnaise, too? Is it fresh? asks Sarah. As a baby, promises Maggie--coming right up. I always made my own mayonnaise says Sarah. I bet it was good, too, says Maggie. Mr. Malloy liked it, says Sarah, and you've been a man's housekeeper as long as I did, you learn to know what he likes. I'm sure you do, agrees Maggie. He was a wonderful man, finest that walked this earth, says Sarah--his death was a terrible thing. Making the sandwich, Maggie agrees it was. It's not easy, I'm not a young woman anymore, says Sarah, to find myself with nothing to do. Here you are, says Maggie--you want coffee, too? Later? says Sarah. Pie? Asks Maggie--baked fresh this morning. what I need is something to keep me busy, to keep my mind off what happened, says Sarah. What about your daughter? asks Maggie--couldn't you go live with her? And spend the rest of my life sitting in a rocking chair? asks Sarah--no, I have more important things to do. She sniffs the sandwich and tells Maggie it doesn't smell fresh. I just opened the jar this morning, says Maggie. You should complain to the firm that made it, says Sarah--fix me another sandwich, without mayonnaise, please--and she says she'll move to a table, since the stools give her a backache. Yes, ma'am, says Maggie, taking back the rejected sandwich, making a face. I'm sorry to make you fix that sandwich again, says Sarah, but I have no desire to get sick--not while evil walks the streets of this town. Yes, ma'am, says Maggie, gazing at the sad-faced woman.

Liz is in the drawing room when Carolyn comes downstairs and nastily tells her mother she's going to town--is that all right with you? No need to snap at me, I jut asked a question, says Liz. I'm sorry, says Carolyn. Have you seen Vicki? asks Liz. Why? asks Carolyn. You have a terrible habit of answering a question with a question--it's most annoying, says Liz. I'm sorry, says Carolyn--why did you want to know about Vicki. She disappeared this morning without a word, says Liz--David hasn't had his lessons all day. (So Roger didn't cover her butt, huh?) I'm sure he's not kicking, says Carolyn. When I want him to have a holiday, I'll say so, says Liz. Vicki's had her holiday, why shouldn't David--she spent the day with an old friend of the family--I think you might have met him--Burke Devlin? Angry, Liz asks where Vicki is. Upstairs in her room, shortening a hem, tattles Carolyn. Liz thanks her and heads upstairs. Carolyn calls to her mother and says she was just wondering--when she was in town, she might run into Mrs. Johnson--should she say anything to her?--has she given any more thought to hiring a housekeeper? I'm giving all my thoughts to firing a governess! says Liz. Carolyn, looking smug, picks up the phone and calls the Inn, asking for Burke, but he isn't there--she leaves no message, then exits the house.

Up in her room, Vicki assures Liz she had no intention of breaking rules, hurting anyone or anything else. But you did bring Burke back to this house, accuses Liz. I explained to Carolyn, says Vicki. I'd ask you to explain it to me, but I don't think any explanations would do any good--have you no idea how I feel about this man? demands Liz. I'm sorry, says Vicki. Just what did you expect to gain? Asks Liz. Why did you need driving home? asks Liz--why weren't you here attending to your duties? I thought you knew, says Vicki. All I know is that you were engaged to help my nephew with his schoolwork, says Vicki--on your arrival, we agreed on the number of hours to be devoted to his lessons each day--and I don't expect those hours to be spent with Burke Devlin. Did Carolyn say I was with Burke the whole time? asks Vicki. What you do with your time is none of my business, says Liz, unless it conflicts with David's schoolwork. You were supposed to have been told, says Vicki, by Mr. Collins--he said he was going to call and tell you where I was. Where were you? asks Liz. This morning, he asked me to visit the cannery with him, explains Vicki. MY brother told you to take the day off? demands Liz. Yes, says Vicki, we went to the hotel for breakfast this morning, then the cannery--but he said he was going to call you. Then your meeting with Burke was just a matter of chance? asks Liz. Yes, says Vicki. Liz looks chastened. All right, she says, but in future, please check with me before going off on a school day. I would have, says Vicki, but Mr. Collins said he was going to. I pay for your services, not my brother, says Liz, displeased
--now go see if you can find David--and in the future, if you should meet Burke again, please do me the courtesy of not bringing him back to this house. She leaves. Vicki looks really upset.

Maggie brings Sarah a cup of coffee and asks if she enjoyed the pie. Sarah asks her to sit down with her, please. Maggie says she can't, really, she's got loads of cleaning up to do. Just for a minute, please, begs Sarah. Maggie sits down. It's a funny thing, I've been eating my lunches alone for years, says Sarah, there's just such an emptiness about it all of a sudden. It's a terrible thing being lonely, says Maggie. You're young, says Sarah, you haven't spent years knowing a man was coming home to supper, trying to fix what he likes--thinking up ways to make him smile. I guess in a lot of ways, says Maggie, being a housekeeper for one man for so many years is almost like being a wife. We never shared the same bed, says Sarah, and I didn't have his name or wear his ring, but I was as close to Mr. Malloy as anyone would have been--she clenches a fist and says he should have lived another 30 years! You've just got to accept it, says Maggie, unfortunate accidents do happen. Accident! scoffs Sarah, if it's an accident--but there's no sense in Mr. Malloy falling into the water and drowning. There's no sense to a lot of things, says Maggie. But there are answers to some, says Sarah--you just read your bible--an eye for an eye
--Mr. Malloy died in violence, and some people are going to pay for that! Like who, asks Maggie, upset, whose eye are you after? Oh, I'm not after anyone, says Sarah, I'm just a bitter old woman, unaccustomed to loneliness. Carolyn enters, giving Maggie an excuse to leave the table. Carolyn! Maggie greets her, I was wondering when you'd be dropping by! I didn't think it would be such an occasion, says Carolyn. Why don't you come to the counter and try some of our fresh baked apple pie? Invites Maggie, uncovering the pie and gesturing toward Mrs. Johnson for Carolyn's benefit. Carolyn looks and smiles--that's Mrs. Johnson, she says. I know who it is! says Maggie--(loudly)--how about a nice, hot cup of fresh coffee? Sure, says Carolyn, I guess so. How are things up on the hill? Asks Maggie, cutting a large slice of pie. Do me a favor, asks Carolyn, bring the coffee and pie over to Mrs. Johnson's table. Maggie looks astounded at request. Carolyn greets Sarah and asks to join her. Of course, dear, says Sarah--how are you and your mother? Well enough, says Carolyn offering her condolences. You're a good girl, says Sarah, Mr. Malloy was always very fond of you. I was fond of him, says Carolyn, that's why I'd like to do something for you. What might that be? asks Sarah. Maggie brings over Carolyn's order. You haven't seen Burke Devlin around today, have you? asks Carolyn. Sarah looks disturbed. Uh-uh, but I just got here a little while ago, says Maggie. That's OK, I'll catch him later, says Carolyn, sipping her coffee. Sarah asks if Carolyn and Burke are friendly. I don't know exactly what we are--he's a strange man, says Carolyn. I wouldn't know, says Mrs. Johnson, I haven't seen or spoken to him since he's come back to Collinsport. Oh?--he had mentioned talking to you, says Carolyn. That's right, says Sarah, yes I did, just once, you'll have to forgive me, ever since Mr. Malloy's death, I don't know what's going on in the world. Carolyn tells her she needs something to keep her busy. A young girl like you understanding an old woman's problems? Asks Sarah approvingly. Carolyn grins and says she's been thinking about her--and she just might have an answer for those problems.
I sincerely hope so, says Sarah.

It just seemed like a perfect idea to me, explains Carolyn, you'd be doing the kind of work you've always done, and you'd be with people all the time. Have you spoken to your mother about this? asks Sarah eagerly. Yes, says Carolyn, but then I thought maybe I might have taken too much for granted--I never even thought to ask if you'd be interested. Well, uh, says Sarah, I suppose it would be what Mr. Malloy would have liked. I know, it seems like a very big house, says Carolyn, but most of the rooms have been closed off--and there aren't too many people--just my mother and me, Uncle Roger and his son--and Vicki Winters--David's governess--sounds like a lot, doesn't it? What does your mother say? asks Sarah. She hasn't really made up her mind yet, says Carolyn--until Vicki Winters came up there, we never really had anyone but the family living in the house. Then why would she want a housekeeper now? asks Sarah. You just leave that to me, Carolyn assures her, smiling, I think it would be very good for both you and mother--if you want the job. I do, I certainly do, says Sarah eagerly, clasping Carolyn's hand--and you tell your mother that. Wonderful! says Carolyn. If she offers me the job, says Mrs. Johnson, I'll be delighted to accept. Oh, she will--if I have anything to say about it, says Carolyn. I'd better leave before I burst into tears, says Sarah, rising from the table. Carolyn does, too. Sarah thanks her and blesses her for being so thoughtful. Is everything OK here, folks? Asks Maggie. Yes, the pie was delicious, says Sarah--she points to Carolyn--and this young lady made me feel good--and here is a dime for you--good bye and bless you again. Don't worry, you'll hear from my mother! Calls Carolyn. Ecstatic, Carolyn tells Maggie, "We're going to have a housekeeper up at Collinwood!" Maggie, money in hand, asks, "Her?" She's a very nice lady, just very upset right now, says Carolyn. She's also very creepy, opines Maggie--gives me the willies, always has. You just don't like her because she's a 10-cent tipper, says Carolyn. I don't like her because she makes me nervous, says Maggie--don't ask me why!--she always has. If I can talk my mother into it, she's coming to0 work for us, says Carolyn. Good luck, says Maggie--just ask yourself one little question--whose eye is she after? Carolyn gives her a face and leaves.

Liz is on the drawing room phone, asking Roger if he told Vicki she could skip David's lessons today. Vicki, passing by, overhears. Don't you think I ought to have been told? demands Liz--I see--you put me in a very embarrassing position, I said a great many things... Spotting Vicki, she stops talking, then says, in the future, please check with me first--goodbye. Vicki reports that David is no where to be found. Liz tells her she owes her an apology--she's sorry for what she said. Hurt and angry, Vicki says she's sorry Liz found it necessary to call her brother and check on the story. I called Roger to tell him to stop interfering with the order of this house, says Liz. And check on me, accuses Vicki. I beg your pardon, says Liz. Ever since I came to this house, says Vicki, I've been badgered and bullied and most of the time I've taken it!--but there comes a limit, even for me--when I came in here and heard you on the phone, that was the last straw--I don't lie, Mrs. Stoddard
--I don't snoop or pry or steal other peoples' boyfriends! And I don't like being shouted at! says Liz calmly. I was a fool, says Vicki--I should have packed up my first night here--but I'm going to stay and not sit by and take all this nonsense! I think you're forgetting you're still in my employ, says Liz. Then fire me if you want to, orders Vicki, which takes Liz aback--either that or begin trusting me--one or the other! Liz looks at her a moment, then walks to the fireplace. She stands before it, silent, motionless. Vicki appears beside her and apologizes, saying it was the only way she could convince her. I know, says Liz, and I'm truly sorry--will you forgive me? Forgive me for shouting at you, says Vicki. Oh, Vicki, Vicki, chides Liz, pulling her down beside her on the fireplace seat--I don't think you realize how fond of you I've become--I know it's lonely and difficult for you here. I haven't had much chance to be lonely, says Vicki. When I asked you to come live here, says Liz, I had no idea there would be so many difficulties and pressures. I'm sure they won't last forever, says Vicki. I hope not, says Liz--sometimes I feel as if I were buried here, as if there were no outside world at all. There is, Vicki assures her. Maybe I should bring some of it here to Collinwood, for you and Carolyn, says Liz--Carolyn's been talking to me about getting a housekeeper. I think that would be a wonderful idea! says Vicki. I know, says Liz, but it would be so difficult--other than you, only the family has lived here for years! A housekeeper would be such a help to you, says Vicki. Yes, and maybe I could be of help to her, says Liz.

Sarah Johnson is back on the Inn's telephone, telling Burke that she just spoke to Carolyn Stoddard--yes, uh huh, I think it's gonna work out--yes, Mr. Devlin--bye. She hangs up, looking smug.

NOTES: So everyone thinks having Mrs. Johnson at Collinwood would be a great idea, but would they feel the same if they knew she was a spy for the enemy?

Bravo, Vicki! Good for you, finally not turning the other cheek to these nasty, overbearing, lying people! I was so glad to hear her fight back with Carolyn, and then later with Liz. She's been taking it right on the chin from just about all of them, and Carolyn was especially bitchy here--and she IS jealous. Carolyn wants Burke herself, her family's feelings (and her own) notwithstanding. I also hope Vicki gives Roger a piece of her mind for not telling Liz she was spending the day with him, as he promised he would. Boo, Roger, another strike against you!

Sarah doesn't seem the type to engage in lying, either, but to her, this is justified--she has to find out what happened to her beloved Bill. Her scenes with Carolyn and Maggie were priceless. I can understand why Sarah scares Maggie. She seems so much like Abigail Collins, LOL, ready to accuse someone of witchcraft! And her grilling of Maggie re: fresh mayo, clean lettuce, then forcing her to re-make the sandwich, was delicious to watch! Clarice Blackburn is fabulous as Sarah Johnson, and under that dark, ugly wig is a headful of red hair, and she's many years younger than Mrs. Johnson is supposed to be.

Vicki gave as good as she got here--it was fun to watch, too!

Love, Robin