Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0225_0226  (Read 1060 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0225_0226
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »
Robservations - #225_226

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0225_0226

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:05:34 PM »
Burke and Barnabas finally meet, and Burke warns Barnabas about how violent Willie can be. Barnabas's reply is horrifyingly ironic: I’m sure Willie won’t make any more trouble, he says smoothly and adds, I am a man who can't stand even the thought of violence, and the last man in the world who would have anyone near me who even contemplated the thought of it. Serenity is my favorite emotion.

Despite the famous flub by JF, the last scene of this episode is actually pretty terrifying.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:51:54 AM »
I read my post from the Watching Project's last round on this episode, and thought, "Hmm...not much different this time."  Then I started thinking a little more.  There's an exchange that's always sort of irked me before, but this time I found it more interesting.  Barnabas has been talking on and on to Sam about what a nice girl Maggie is.  Sam says something about how she can be temperamental on occasion, but women are more fun when they've got a little fire in them.  Something like that.  Barnabas is turned around in his chair, watching Maggie as she dances with Joe.  He doesn't turn back to Sam, and says absently, "I'm sure."  Previously I thought of this exchange as just more blather, but now I think: Barnabas is being told the truth, and he's just not interested in hearing it.

Another thing I thought about was that despite Joe's superabundant niceness to Maggie (taking her to the Blue Whale for a double brandy was an excellent idea), there are limits to his comprehension.  He doesn't seem to be sufficiently equipped to handle a girlfriend who goes off the deep end, for whatever reason - be it Maggie or be it Carolyn.

I also thought about what Barnabas is doing.  His "Sweet dreams" wish to Maggie indicates he knows about her nightmare, which suggests that he deliberately caused it, though I'm not sure why he would do that.  Testing the waters, perhaps.  But there he was, rigidly maintaining his pose for Sam at the Old House, while apparently he was sending the nightmare to Sam's daughter.  Creepy.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »
You could be right, Lydia--I'm sure Barnabas already has idealized Maggie into a much more compliant version than the real one.

I wonder whether Barnabas is the one who's sending Maggie the nightmares. If it was Barn, surely he would make the whole business irresistibly alluring, wouldn't he? i have to wonder if [spoiler]this is our first hint of the existence of Sarah--she might be trying to warn Maggie in the only way she can.[/spoiler] But then again, I could be reaching.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:59:41 AM »
Yeah, I think you're reaching, DarkLady.  The path you mention doesn't seem as though it would start with dreams.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
*sigh* I suppose you're right, Lydia, but that only makes Maggie's nightmares even more inexplicable.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »
 Maggie wears a huge ring to bed that I had never noticed before. I found it odd that a girl as spunky as Maggie has a nightmare and needs to call Joe. Then the solution to the nightmare is to go out on the town and have a drink. Episode title much ado about a nightmare. The fact that Maggie is uneasy around Barnabas makes me think that the nightmare was not caused by him.  I'd say Josette as she would know.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 01:09:39 AM »
You're absolutely right. Of course Josette would know--and I should have too.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
Serenity is my favorite emotion.  this was after he said he didn't life violence.  [ghost_huh]

He must know that people think well of the Collins family.  At least they wouldn't say anything to his face.

Maybe it is Josette telling Maggie to be careful around Barnabas. Again I don't thing that at this point they were going to change the story line. It was just beginning to air on TV. Right now they are planning to do the original fate of Barnabas Collins.

Maggie doesn't want to go back to sleep. She doesn't want to have the dream again. Now we have Barnabas outside her door. Why doesn't she lock it, especially since there is a man out there attacking the female population.  Barnabas just walks right in.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate