Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0224  (Read 1359 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0224
« on: June 02, 2012, 03:49:28 AM »
Robservations - #224

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0224

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
I think this is the first time somebody jumps when Barnabas comes in and he asks hopefully, Did I startle you?

Jason barges into the Old House, asks if the "lady" of the house is in and makes snide comments about Willie's "light housekeeping" job. He thinks that now Willie is working for a "moneybags" and isn't sharing--although of course nothing could be further from the truth.

We get our first look at Maggie's bedroom, complete with French doors. The picture starts to get all wavy--it's our first dream sequence!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:39:02 PM »
I think this is the first time somebody jumps when Barnabas comes in and he asks hopefully, Did I startle you?

LOL @ "hopefully"!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
Well, he always smiles when he says it!   [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »
I just pictured him asking that, receiving a "no", and then saying okay, I'll try again later!

Barnabas has so few real pleasures, especially after he reforms, and he's got the guilt all the time.   What would be on his list of things that make him happy?   Maybe startling people and revenge killings...   Really, revenge killings sometimes seem to be the only times he cheers up.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
I don't know about Barnabas's cheap thrills, but it did occur to me that the writers are having a lot of fun with the idea of Barnabas's bat form, even if they aren't showing the bat.  We never saw the phoenix bird, for that matter.

So Elizabeth opened a Swiss bank account for Jason.  I had forgotten about that.  And did all the proceeds from the sale of the land to Mr. Hackett go into it?  I still say Jason wouldn't ask for that much that soon.  But apparently I'm wrong.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
I think that by now Jason has a pretty good idea of how much he can extort from Elizabeth and how much would be, well, too much. I wonder what the minimum for a Swiss bank account was in 1967--and of course, it would be in 1967 dollars, so you should probably multiply that by, say, 10 to get a 2012 amount.

Good point about the invisible phoenix bird, Lydia. That's an idea that the writers will return to.

Poor Barn has so few real pleasures at this point. I guess just being out of that coffin has to be a big one. And even such a conscienceless creature must appreciate the presence of human relatives and their easy acceptance of him. Seeing the earth from a bat's-eye point of view must be interesting too.

But revenge killings--yeah, that must be fun, too--although on a somewhat different level than startling unsuspecting callers. [ghost_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »
We've talked about this before, but the memo from ABC's Standards and Practices about that scene between Jason and Willie is a hoot because they were positively falling all over themselves to make sure that the show made sure that no one would get the wrong idea from Jason's remarks.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
OMG, MB, what a hoot! What did the memo say? I don't suppose it's available on line....

I think that by now Jason has a pretty good idea of how much he can extort from Elizabeth and how much would be, well, too much.

Yes, I know I'm quoting myself here, but there's a really good reason that Jason doesn't demand more money than Elizabeth can pay: A really good vampire doesn't kill its host.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:56:39 AM »
David is crying and afraid at the old House. ADramatic departure from his previous bravado. Barnabas tells Elizabeth that he has Willie under control and they have and undstanding. The innuendo in this episode is great fun.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
Barnabas is really having to work hard at controlling so many things. Willie, David and now making Maggie have bad dreams. I am wondering how he can do that when he hasn't even bit her yet. But it could be someone else.

Barnabas can be so gentle with David, that is after he scared him. He is just trying to protect himself and in many ways save David. I don't think he wants to hurt him.

I also just read the previous time we went through this, and could be Josette. She is the only ghost I think that has the power to warn Maggie. I think at this point they hadn't changed the story.

[spoiler] In the future they will have the love triangle with Josette, Angelique and Barnabas. Now it is that Josette wasn't connected to Barnabas. She had married another Collins. [/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate