Author Topic: Lara Parker on Kolchak the Night Stalker  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Lara Parker on Kolchak the Night Stalker
« on: March 28, 2003, 02:34:25 PM »
For those of you out there who are fans of Lara Parker a/k/a Angelique, she is appearing in an episode of Kolchak the Night Stalker today (28 March, 2003) at 12 Noon EST on the SciFi channel.  The episode is called "The Trevi Collection," and from what I hear LP plays (what else?) a witch! [witch]

Happy viewing!!!

- Cassandra Blair

P.S.  And no, I didn't notice that this had already been mentioned in the 'Galactica' thread earlier, sorry - my bad!  [blshy]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re:Lara Parker on Kolchak the Night Stalker
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 08:52:11 PM »
Cassandra Blair,

Lara Parker is so wonderful in such films as "Save The Tiger," "Washington Behind Closed Doors,"and in her many appearances in such TV shows as "Kojak"and "Hawaii 5-0."  Nevertheless, Ms. Parker's appearance in "Kolchak - The Night Stalker," is NOT, IMHO, her finest moment on the screen (including both 25 feet or 25 inches).

To be fair, this particular "Kolchak" episode involving modern day witches, has to be, IMHO, the worst "Kolchak" episode ever (even worse than that extremely inane episode, where a headless motorcycle rider, carrying a sword and attired like the "immortal" Buzz Hackett, drives around Chicago, decapitating  the bikers who had previously "offed" him).

Don't get me wrong.  I think that Darrin McGavin is wonderful as Carl Kolchak, the down-on-his-luck newspaper reporter, who invariably gets involved investigating paranormal crimes/stories.  In fact, Mr. McGavin shows great wit and humor as Kolchak in these off-the-wall stories involving vampires, werewolves and dopplegangers, etc.  (I understand that David Chase, creator/writer of "The Sopranos," was a young and upcoming writer for some of the very amusing "Kolchak" TV episodes, and of course, the original Kolchak TV film, directed by Dan Curtis,  is outstanding!)

It's just that the witch episode (with Ms. Parker) is so lame and uninspired.  I mean, how dopey is it when those mannequins come to "life" and plod (and, I mean plod!) after Carl Kolchak during the episode's finale?  And, as Ms. Parker laughed so frequently (and so convincingly, and completely in character) as Angelique on "Dark Shadows," it's just seems silly to see her laughing in that incessant manner after Carl Kolchak leaves the witches' coven in that scene from this particular Kolchak episode.

I guess every actor has appeared in a film, play or TV show that he or she wishes had never been made.  I understand that Paul Newman would not go to see his first onscreen performance in the kitschy "Silver Chalice" until he got drunk with his friends before departing for the movie theater.  And, the late Robert Morley, a very fine British character actor, once said that he preferred to appear in stage performances, because if the play was a stinker, it would probably be short-lived and no one would ever see it again (unlike certain tacky episodes of TV series!).

In conclusion, I hope that I have not offended any Lara Parker fans (of whom, I consider myself also to be one).  Suffice it to say, I'd rather see this extremely talented and beautiful actress in "Race With The Devil" than in this particularly schlocky episode of "Kolchak - The Night Stalker."

Bob the Bartender, avid Tony Vincenzo fan. 

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 09:43:28 PM »
Bob the Bartender -

So disappointed to hear that this ep of Kolchak isn't up to snuff, particularly Lara's performance.  I haven't actually seen it yet, just set the VCR this morning - yes, I'm at work today.  ::)  Maybe I'll still get a kick out of it - I have been known to enjoy my share of bad TV shows!

Will look forward to having a gander at some of her better performances that you recommended.  Have always heard good things about "Save the Tiger."

No offense taken this end!  :-*

Cassandra Blair

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 10:10:10 PM »
Well, Cassandra Blair, I haven't seen most of the Kolchak shows since their initial airing, back in the Seventies.  I do have this one on tape and I'm actually rather fond of it.

Lara has some great moments, and it's fun to see her onscreen with the great Nina Foch, who some might describe as the 1940's answer to Lara Parker.

Foch's performance always seems to me to echo that of Susan Hayward in Valley of the Dolls, another personal favorite.

I actually find the effect with the mannequins to be rather eerie.  YMMV.

Gothick

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2003, 01:17:20 AM »
LP has talked about filming this episode at Fests.  Apparently she hasn't fond memories of working with DMcG, and has mentioned his commenting to her that she "didn't know how to do camp", and her response:  "Oh, Really?"

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2003, 01:30:40 AM »
Maybe I'll still get a kick out of it -

Cassandra Blair, I'm betting you will, and would love to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to watch your tape.  I think the ep is a hoot and a must-see for LP fans.  Love the Smurfette look on her. ;)

Offline Angelique820

• I will never leave you alone Barnabas Collins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2003, 02:38:59 AM »
Actually I only saw the last 15 minutes...too bad I wasn't aware earlier that it was on.  The part I saw was way out ad kind of freaky...but I liked it all the same.  I'm sorry I didn't know about it...I would have taped it.    :'(   I'll just have to keep my eyes open for it to reair.   Oh BTW, Im a big Lara Parker fan...as if you couldn't guess that by my name!   :D
Angelique820

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2003, 03:19:03 AM »
Sheenasma,

I read with great interest your comment about Lara Parker's recollection of an apparently "frosty" working relationship between herself and Darren McGavin on the set of "Kolchak."

I remember hearing Burt Reynolds relate to Johnny Carson, during one of Burt's many and very funny guest appearances on the "Tonight Show," that, regretably, he and his fellow co-star Darren McGavin did not get along very well on the set of their 1960's series, "Riverboat."  (I wonder if Mr. McGavin got along with Melinda Dillon and young Peter Billingsley on the set of the wonderful "A Christmas Story"?)

And as to Ms. Parker's appearance on "Kolchak," I remember that it originally aired only a few years after "Dark Shadows" went off the air.  So, at the time, I was particularly interested in seeing Ms. Parker, once again, portray a seductive and deadly practitioner of the Black Arts.  What can I say, the episode was, for me, a big disappointment after seeing Ms. Parker as Angelique on "Dark Shadows."

Of course, this is a very subjective matter.  While some fans love this witchcraft-oriented episode, I prefer the episode in which Kolchak is on the last voyage of that decrepit "love boat," that just happens to have a werewolf among its passengers!

Bob the Bartender

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2003, 11:01:54 PM »
Cassandra Blair, I'm betting you will, and would love to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to watch your tape.  I think the ep is a hoot and a must-see for LP fans.  Love the Smurfette look on her. ;)

You win that bet, Midnite!  Not only did I get a big kick out of it, my husband enjoyed it too.  He can only take so much of Dark Shadows, but likes Lara.

Lara's over-the-top performance, especially the coven scene and the "Smurfette" scene put paid to Darren McGavin's claim that she didn't know now to do camp.  As far as I'm concerned, she redefined camp with this performance.

Nina Foch (love that last name ::)) as Madame Trevi had a super line early in the episode, remarking on the outfit Lara's character was modelling: "The truly liberated woman is not afraid to be a woman.  No camp, no kitsch, no...cartoon t-shirts!."  I'm recording it as the new greeting for my cellphone's voicemail!

And how about the name of LP's character: Madelaine?  Not only is she a witch again, she has a French name this time too. Overall, it was a hoot - glad I got to see it.  Hope others enjoyed it too, even as a curiosity.

And thanks, Sheenasma for the 'inside info' about LP and DMcG's working relationship - very interesting.

BTW - Welcome, Angelique820!  It's great to see another Lara fan here!!! [wave]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2003, 12:02:52 AM »
What can I say, the episode was, for me, a big disappointment after seeing Ms. Parker as Angelique on "Dark Shadows."

I managed to figure out when/where this was showing and taped it while at work ... I've only been able to see the first 30 minutes so far, but I have to admit that this wasn't one of Lara Parker's better credits.

So far I've seen her in DS, in "Save the Tiger," and in live performance in "Love Letters."  The Kolchak episode is definitely the least impressive of these.

It did require more camp than DS, IMO.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995