Author Topic: Robservations 3/25/03 - #862-863 - Quentin Asks For Evan's Help  (Read 1318 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
862 - Jeremiah's ghost steps close to Kitty and raises his hand. "You must leave this place," he says, "leave Collinwood and never return. If you stay, he will kill you!"
Kitty looks at the spirit in horror.

Who will kill me? asks Kitty, you must tell me!  Go, now, he urges, before it's too late--and the specter disappears. Kitty looks around for him, wondering what this place is and what she's doing here--and where did this dress come from--how did I get into it?--what's happening to me? Petofi appears.  Kitty screams, "You had something to do with that horror, didn't you? I saw the apparition, he says, but had nothing to do with it--Judith and I saw you leaving the house, so I followed you to make sure you were all right, considering you didn't seem yourself--why did you come out at this hour--and why are you wearing that dress? he asks. Kitty doesn't know--I was just drawn to someone out here, I know not who--it's happened before this way, first something appears to me--tonight, a note appeared on my dresser that said, "Know yourself--be who you must be." Someone put it there, he says, but why, and what does it signify? I don't understand, she confesses. If you did, says Petofi, you might understand what drew you to Widows' Hill--the apparition we saw--do you know about it? No, she insists. You did says "he" would be waiting for you, says Petofi, just before leaving the house. I don't recall leaving the house! she cries.  This is most disturbing, says Petofi.  Why does it disturb you? she asks.  Never mind, he replies--I'm going back to Collinwood--come along.  Again she asks why it disturbs him.  You aren't the object of my concern, he says--I'm going to Collinwood, are you coming or not? And with a last, scared look around, Kitty follows Petofi away.

Collinwood - Judith sits at her desk, looking through some colorful correspondence (doesn't look like 1897 to me). Petofi comes in and reports that Kitty has gone upstairs, upset, but all right for now. What was wrong? asks Judith. Severe emotional strain since her husband's death, says Petofi--I found her on the edge of the woods. Judith wants to check on her.  Petofi says, I'm sure Kitty will appreciate it. You're most considerate, praises Judith.  Thank you, he says. Call me Judith, rather than Mrs. Trask, she says. Inside Petofi's head, Quentin speaks--why am I worried about Kitty?--how could I possibly help her when I can't help myself? There must be a way to fight Petofi, he says, slamming his hand down on the desk. He finds a piece of bright yellow notepaper--Evan Hanley! If anyone can help me, he can--why didn't I think of him before? (HAA fans, it's been a long time since we've seen your favorite!)

Evan's house - Evan answers his door to Petofi, complaining, it's far too early for business. You'll be interested in what I have to talk about--Evan, says Petofi. Who are you? asks Evan. "I am Quentin Collins," replies Petofi--"Are you going to invite me in or aren't you?" No, says Evan, but backs off when Petofi shows him his hand--"You do remember this, don't you?" Petofi enters and closes the door. I know who you are, says Evan. You think you do, responds Petofi, but you are mistaken. There's only one hand like it, you are Count Petofi, says Evan--if you want something from me, tell me what it is, then please go away! Don't be frightened of me, says Petofi, sit down and I'll explain. Keep that THING away from me, begs Evan, I'll do anything you want, just don't touch me. If it weren't so tragic, I could almost laugh at the sight of you, says Petofi--cringing with fear from an object that is totally powerless. This surprises Evan. For my sake, and perhaps your own, listen to me, begs Petofi, and believe what I say--you're familiar enough with the black arts to know anything is possible--this is indeed the body of County Petofi, but inside it is the mind of Quentin Collins--and vice versa. Evan looks stunned--I understand, he says, but find it too fantastic to believe. Go to Collinwood and find out for yourself, urges Petofi--go and find Quentin--don't announce yourself--I guarantee that he won't know you, because that Quentin has never laid eyes on you. Assuming what you say is true, says Evan, the hand of Count Petofi has always been an entity in itself--how can you say it's now powerless? The power of the hand was transferred to Quentin's body along with Petofi's mind, says P--this hand is worthless--you must believe me, Evan, I need your help desperately!  Evan considers, then says, I don't see how I can help you. There must be some way of reversing this transference, insists Petofi--you know every black ceremony there is, there must be one that can help. Finding the proper ceremony isn't what worries me, says Evan, the new Quentin Collins--in order for us to succeed, he'd have to participate in the ceremony, and be tricked into doing so--I would hate to see what would happen if we tried--and failed. Think what would happen if we don't try, says Petofi--Petofi has gained a new life in Quentin's body, he's more dangerous than ever! There's a knock at the door. Go out on the terrace, Evan says--I'm expecting no one now. Judith is at the door.  I hope I didn't awaken you, she says. I was already up, he assures her.  I won't take up too much of your time--I know you have a busy day ahead. Never too busy for you, he says, sucking up royally--how long have you been back? I arrived last night, she says. Gregory must be pleased, he remarks (oh, yeah!--and Evan took money to help Trask!) He's away and doesn't know yet, says Judith. I'm delighted to see you, says Evan.  I'm glad, she says--I'm back to stay--before I went away, you had me sign a paper giving Trask power of attorney. Evan recalls. I want that paper back, she insists. Evan is surprised, and uneasy. Surely, now that I'm back, says Judith (and Petofi is listening carefully out on the terrace), there's no reason for Gregory to have power of attorney--is there, Evan? No, I suppose there isn't, he agrees. Give me the paper and I'll leave, she says.  I don't have it here, says Evan--it's in the vault at the Collinsport Bank. Go into town and get it for me, she orders. I won't be able to do that, says Evan--I'm leaving for Bangor in an hour--I won't be back until after four, and the bank will be closed. Have them open it, she says. Impossible, he says. Oh, but it is, she says, it's very simple--tell them Judith Collins Trask wants her power of attorney back by six o'clock or she will withdraw her money and open her own bank.  (If only I had that power!) I promise to have it for you by six, says Evan. I'll leave, says Judith--I don't want to delay your trip to Bangor. He opens the door to see her out.  It's nice to be back, she smirks.  Evan closes the door, looking quite pissed. Petofi enters.  Evan says, "You might have told me that she was back." Petofi asks, did Judith's visit present you with some sort of problem? Of course not, says Evan. You seemed nervous when you were talking to her, points out Petofi. I was just surprised to see her, says Evan. Not so surprised as your friend, Trask, will be--"I hope you haven't made any rash commitments to Trask, Evan."  What are you saying? demands Evan.
Only that Judith meant what she said, Petofi assures him--she's come back to stay, and to rule--I advise you to reexamine your loyalties--and now, what about me--can you help me?  Evan says, I'll go through with the ceremony if you will find a way of getting him here without arousing his suspicion. I know a way, says Petofi--quite simple, sit down and I'll tell you what it is.

5:45 - Collinwood foyer - Judith pours tea. Quentin enters and apologizes--I didn't realize anyone was in the room. He excuses himself. Judith orders, come into this room at once! Quentin looks nervous. Gazing sternly at Quentin, Judith says while I didn't expect to be welcomed back with open arms, you could have done better than you just did. (big screw-up, Petofi!)  Quentin apologizes, and says "Welcome to Collinwood."  While I know we've never had an ideal brother sister relationship, she says (damn, she told him!), I do think after not seeing you for four months, you could have expressed more concern for my health. Quentin says, you've changed enormously, I barely recognize you--you look that much better now than you did when you left. Don't flippant with me, she orders.  I only speak the truth, dear sister, he says. You were supremely happy when I went away, she says, and would be extremely happy if I'd stayed there.  "And leave the rest of us with your charming husband?" asks Quentin--"No thank you!"--after dealing with your husband, he adds, pouring a drink, I'm very glad you're back. Oh, really? she says--I suggest you make a little more effort to show it--there will be some changes made in this house, she assures him, and you and everyone else will conform to them.
Quentin stays silent.  When there's a knock at the door, she orders him to answer it. (She's so like the old Judith, and I welcome her ass-kicking self back!) Evan is at the door, and greets Quentin. "Good evening," replies the latter. Evan greets Judith and asks Quentin how he's feeling. "Fine, fine," answers Q. "Don't you know Evan Hanley, either?" asks Judith sharply. (Another giveaway!) Of course, says Quentin, how are you, Evan?  Judith asks Evan, did you have trouble at the bank? No, he says.  I didn't think you would, she says--bankers are very practical. He hands her the paper and asks, has Gregory returned yet?  No, I expect him sometime tonight, says Judith carefully. She excuses herself, leaving the men alone. Quentin surveys Evan, who says quietly, "I'll see you at my house at nine, right?"  Nine? asks Quentin. Have you forgotten about the meeting? whispers Evan. It just slipped my mind a second, smiles Quentin. Evan asks, are you  still showing up?--you haven't made other plans, have you? I'll be there, Quentin assures him. You seem preoccupied, remarks Evan. I will need to get used to Judith being back, Quentin reminds him. Tonight's meeting will make you forget all your problems, promises Evan. Yes, agrees Quentin, closing the door after him.

8:55 - Petofi looks at the clock on Evan's mantel. Evan comes in to report, everything is ready-- he should be here any minute. Will this work? asks Petofi. There is always a chance of failure, says Evan, and we both know it--do you know what you must do? Yes, says Petofi. Don't make your move until he's seated in that chair, warns Evan. Petofi understands. There's a knock at the door.  Petofi disappears into another room. Evan answers and lets Quentin in--this is a pleasant surprise, he says--you're right on time when you're usually the last one here. Oh, says Q, will wonders never cease? They both chuckle.  Quentin looks uneasy--who else is here? Just my valet, answers Evan.  How many others will be here? asks Quentin. Half a dozen, says Evan, and I have quite a surprise for you--we want you to lead the meeting!  How interesting, says Quentin, not pleased at all. You should be quite honored, says Evan. Oh, I am, says Quentin. Evan has him sit down in the chair, remarking, you'll look 1quite impressive. Quentin sits in the proffered chair. Evan begins to light candles. Quentin says, I hope I won't be a disappointment, I haven't had as much practice in the black arts as you have. Petofi has left his hiding place.  He quietly moves toward Quentin.  Evan says, you have seen me perform this ceremony countless times. Yes, but this is his first time in a very long time, says Quentin. Petofi grabs Quentin and presses a chloroform-soaked cloth to his face.  Quentin begins to struggle wildly.  Keep his hands down! Petofi orders Evan. Quentin falls unconscious as Evan carefully holds his hands away from his face. Quentin falls forward onto the table, unconscious. Evan warns Petofi, I have no idea when the chloroform will wear off, we must proceed immediately.
Evan lifts Quentin back into a sitting position, then begins to light black candles...

NOTES: Loved how cleverly they got Quentin to come to Evan's house--let him think he's forgotten a regular appointment, and he shows up!  Apparently, Quentin's initial blankness toward him convinced him that there has been a mind/body switch. Quentin copped a big break with Judith's reference to their relationship, and Judith even supplied Evan's name for him, another break--but Evan wasn't fooled. At least someone believes him now! Judith is full of spit and vinegar, just like the Judith of old. You have a feeling she already knows what her husband did, at least some of it, and his connection to Evan. One can't help but wish the worst for Revvy Trask and his ass Tactics.

It was also fun to see Quentin walking around all those land mines--Judith, Evan, his participation in these ceremonies, etc. It's fun to see him squirm. You can also tell he'd love to kill some of these people right now, like Judith when she ordered him to answer the door and perhaps Edward yesterday. Or maybe he enjoys being part of a big, unhappy family? He just wants to get to the future, so what differences does one life more or less make to the ruthless SOB?

863 - Evan, in black robes, stands, muttering to himself. He checks Quentin and Petofi's pulses, then lifts a golden chalice and says, Lucifer, great god of man and beast, look on us with favor, help us correct this evil that has been done in defiance of you, renew our bondage as your servants, grant us the power we need this night, and we will be yours for eternity, for Bow, who guides your mind, for Beelzebub, who rules your spirit. Evan drinks from the chalice. He places his hands on Quentin's head and says the robber of a soul must not be spared. He releases Quentin's head, then touches Petofi's--the robbed must be avenged. He touches Quentin's head again--I exorcise thee, oh impure spirit who is the mind of the enemy, by the holy right of Hecate, I conjure thee that thee do immediately hear and obey my command. Leave this man's body that he may return. "It isn't working," moans Petofi.  Be silent, orders Evan, who takes the chalice and asks the spirits of invisibility--"I conjure and constrain thee herewith to consecrate this ceremony, so surely and without trickery you may return each to the body of thine origin. Speak, oh Lucifer." Petofi says, I can't see, everything is so bright--then passes out. Evan raises his hands and commands thee--"Answer my demands--depart from these alien bodies and return to those from whenst you came--depart--so be it--so be it--so be it. Oh, Lucifer, we give thee thanks." Quentin stands there, grinning with pleasure.  Evan assumes it means the minds have returned to their own bodies. QUENTIN! he cries, joyous--it happened, I did it, exults Evan. Yes, you did it, Evan, says Quentin, you've just made the greatest...mistake of your life. "You are still Petofi," says Evan, horrified. That's the chance you took, says Quentin--we are only allowed so many mistakes in one life, and you have just made your last. "Count Petofi," acknowledges Evan fearfully. "Quentin," please, says Q.  Evan leaps to his own defense--I only did it because HE insisted, there were other ceremonies I could have chosen, one that surely...  I think you overestimate your powers, my boy, says Quentin, right in Evan's face.  I did nothing to harm you! pleads Evan. Chloroform does not have a pleasant taste, says Q menacingly. Begging, Evan promises, I won't say a thing, never. Quite true, agrees Quentin, looking at him. Don't kill me, begs Evan, I know you can, I know your powers, that hand...he looks down. That hand is approaching him, and he cries out NO! "Look at me," demands Quentin, "you have no choice." Don't raise the hand! cries Evan, but Quentin touches his face nevertheless, rendering him a victim. Take off your robe, demands Quentin--you know what you must do, and where you are to go. Yes, Evan says, trancelike. Quentin says, let no one stop you--he will meet you there, will know when you are ready for him--now go! Evan leaves. Petofi returns to consciousness, calling Evan. He's gone, says Q--so we meet again, huh? Where is Evan? asks Petofi fearfully. You'll never see him again, says Quentin.  "You've killed him," accuses Petofi. No, I'm far cleverer than that, says Q. I'm to blame for whatever you've done to him, laments Petofi--tell me where Evan is.
I'll tell you, says Quentin--perhaps it will discourage you from enlisting any other friends to your cause--search the graveyards, go to the cemeteries and there you will find your friend, alive, laughs Quentin.

Quentin sits in the drawing room at Collinwood reading a book (would Q do that normally)? Edward and Judith are playing cards.  It's like old times, remarks Edward, the three of us together--but for certain things, it could be a year ago. It could not, says Judith. I suppose so, agrees Edward, a year ago, Quentin was not a bachelor--he is now, despite his flurry over Angelique. It was right to postpone the wedding, says Judith--Quentin shouldn't rush into marriage. As you did, charges Edward. Your play, Edward, she says, annoyed. Gregory should be coming home from the sanitarium by now, says Edward, this is usually the time he gets here--it's curious that he didn't come after the doctors told him you'd been released, but he may have had other business. "Are you enjoying yourself, Edward?" she asks coldly. He reminds her, you yourself said Trask never visited you while you were there; every week he'd leave to see you, even when there were people staying here that I'm sure he'd preferred to have stayed with. What do you mean? asks Judith. It's common gossip amongst the servants, says Edward--Trask brought a woman to this house--do you know that? If he did, he had a good reason, says Judith. Yes, he was going to save her soul--she was very beautiful, wasn't she, Quentin? asks Edward. The latter merely agrees. If you ask me, says Edward, she left because of his attentions. Do you know that to be true? asks Judith. No, says Edward, but I did see the way Trask looked at her. Fed up, Judith says, I've won the game and will await Gregory upstairs. She leaves, furious.  "A fine help you were!" Edward complains to Quentin.  I thought you said all that needed to be said, Quentin retorts. Edward says, you could have told her the truth about Amanda--you knew--you hate Trask a much as I do, and you're aware our existence is threatened as long as he's married to Judith--why do you refuse to fight? I'll let you handle Trask, says Q, since you feel more strongly about him than I do--I have an interesting appointment, says Q. At this time of night? asks Edward disapprovingly--you certainly haven't changed.  You don't know how glad I am to hear you say that, says Q, leaving Edward looking perplexed.

Woods - Evan walks, shovel in hand and begins to dig.

Trask returns home to Collinwood. Edward greets him--I'm glad you're back, he says.  Trask bids him good evening and refuses a brandy--I'm very tired, and don't approve of imbibing spirits--I've had a most distressing journey. Oh, nothing has happened to Judith, I hope, says Edward.  I hesitate to tell you this, says Trask, but Judith didn't recognize me--her own husband! Edward feigns horror--good heavens! You can imagine my feelings, says Trask sadly. I can indeed, says Edward. I pleaded with her, "Judith, it's Gregory!", but to no avail. "Judith knew ME when I went to visit her," says Edward, hiding his mirth--with all the treatment she's been getting, how can she be worse off than she was?
The doctors don't understand, it's the will of an angry God, says Trask. Why should "God" be angry at Judith? asks Edward. It's the mysteries of the all-knowing mind, says Trask--they aren't ours to question.  Perhaps I should go to her myself, suggests Edward.  The doctors have discouraged anymore visitors, demurs Trask--although I did insist on my right to go next week. He allowed you that, surely, says Edward. I think I convinced them it would be beneficial to the poor, tortured creature--my experience has left him weak with fatigue--will you excuse me? I understand, of course, says Edward.  Trask puts a grateful hand on his shoulder. Edward is smiling much like Lady Kitty when she's pulled off a successful scam.  Trask takes his suitcase and turns in dismay when, from the stairs, Judith calls, "Good evening, Gregory." (Oh, Revvy, you're in TROUBLE!)

Trask and Judith survey each other.  Are you surprised to see me? she asks.  He should be, sister, says Edward--he's just been telling me of his visit to the sanitarium, and how you failed to recognize him. "I was speaking of the last visit," gasps Trask.  "You were not and you know it," snarls Edward. I wish to speak to Gregory alone, says Judith--I will decide what's a lie and what is not. Trask and Edward exchange glances of pure hatred before Trask and Judith close themselves in the drawing room. "My dear wife," says Gregory, "you don't know how happy I am to see you so well again." No, I don't," she says--"where have you been?" In Boston on business--YOUR business, says Trask. Edward eavesdrops from the foyer. You told Edward you were visiting me, she says. I told Edward I was going to stop at the sanitarium on my way back from Boston, he corrects. And did you? she asks. My carriage broke down and I was forced to take the train, so I couldn't, he says. You never came to see me--not once, she accuses. I did! he insists.  Do not lie, Judith says. Have I ever? he asks.  Your doctors said it would not be to your advantage if I saw you--they felt it might interfere with the treatment. They let Edward see me, Judith says. He forced it, insists Trask, against their will, they warned Edward it might harm your treatment, but he did not care--your brothers have always tried to take advantage of you, you know that. She looks at him, not swallowing his malarky. I'm aware of that, she says--but why did you lie to Edward? I'm guilty of one thing, he admits, of treating your brothers as they treat me--I have learned deviousness from them, would I want you to tell Edward I was in Boston with your broker, discussing your finances--did you want Edward to know about that? No, she admits. "To think that my innocent actions have caused you pain," he says sadly--come to me, let me hold you in my arms. No, she says softly--this time, you come to me. And he does--"My beloved!" he murmurs. They hug. Outside the door, Edward looks pissed. "I hope you didn't change any of my stocks, Gregory," she says, still in mid embrace, because I've gotten back my power of attorney. "Oh?" he asks. (Zing!)  We're going to be so happy, says Judith--our life will be as it should have been from the very beginning--I have so many plans, so many SURPRISES!--I've brought your daughter back to this house. She is not my daughter, he insists. Yes, she is, says Judith, and we are going to help her--you're so fond of helping people. She touches his face and says, I must go, forgive me, my darling--I'll see you later. She opens the doors and walks past Edward, who says to Trask, "You won again."  She is my wife, don't forget that, says Trask smugly. Have you forgotten already?" demands Edward--I'm going to find out what you've been up to, promises Edward--and Judith will be first to know about it.

Evan has finished digging the grave. Petofi shows up to apologize--I'm so sorry I asked for your help--come away from here, I'm your friend--he isn't, come with me. Evan refuses--you don't understand. You can't stay here by this grave, says Petofi--I'm afraid for you. Don't be afraid for me, but for yourself, says Evan.  Let's get out of here! urges Petofi.  They begin to grapple. Evan grabs Petofi around the throat and threatens, you will go no where...  "Let me go, you're killing me!" cries Petofi. Quentin arrives and orders Evan, let him go!  He finally does. Quentin says, your curiosity is always getting you into trouble--even with old friends--no, you may go--what I'm going to do to Evan is none of your concern. He should not be allowed to go, says Evan.  Silence, commands Quentin, and grins--don't be surprised, your Excellency, we shall meet again--now go!  Petofi leaves. Quentin praises Evan's work on the grave.  Who is it for? asks Evan. Who do you think? asks Q. I don't know, says Evan. Yes you do, says Quentin, it's for you
--I am going to bury you alive!  Quentin smiles.  Evan's face is stoic.

NOTES: How awful of PIQB (Petofi in Quentin's body) to tell Evan he's going to bury him alive! I guess he wants to kill him slowly to punish him for what he did to him, but that's so cold!

Judith knows, I think, that her husband is a rat bastard, and one can only hope she will reel him in by making him think she believes, loves and trusts him, and then show him who's really boss at Collinwood!  Edward was so angry at the thought that Trask won, but in all honesty, I think the old Judith is back and she's going to GET her lying, cheating hubby--after lulling him into a false sense of security!

HAA had some long speeches in the first part of this episode. He always does such a fine job with those, and he had a lot of opportunity to show his acting mettle in this episode. Bravo!

Love, Robin