Author Topic: Collapsible BoardIndex / Members' Archive Return Possible  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Collapsible BoardIndex / Members' Archive Return Possible
« on: March 23, 2003, 12:58:14 AM »
Once again we're able to collapse the BoardIndex so that it only shows the categories that are currently likely to receive new posts (General Discussions, RobinV's Crypt and Members' Mausoleum). This version seems to work the same as the SP version - just click on the name of the category that you'd like to collapse. However, when a new post has been made in a collapsed category, not only will the new post icon display, but a "new" icon (similar to the one that displays after a topic name whenever it gets a new post since your last visit) should also display after the category name.

A few people have been asking when the Members' Archive will be returning. The truth is I'm not quite sure. Setting up the Archive is going to be more complicated with SE than it was with SP, and I'd prefer to get a bit more experience with PHP before I attempt it. Also, there's been talk on the SE site of incorporating the ability to create nested forums within the main forum (a fancy way of saying that sub-forums would be able to be created in very much the same way as boards are created in each category). If that does indeed become a feature, it would honestly be the best way to go because it would not only simplify the creation of the new version of the Members' Archive, it would also simplify how we'd access it. ;)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:The Collapsible BoardIndex Feature Is Back
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 01:48:58 AM »
MB...I came to testing 1-2-3 to ask...is this why tonight (Sunday) on the Home page...usually it lists most recent post, but only 1; right now it lists like 5; also, instead of you, Dom or Midnite, it, in the blue, says Global Moderator (which I believe is Dom) and one other (I  think it's you MB cause it ALSO says you're on).
Is this part of the new & improved forum?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 07:17:35 AM »
also, instead of you, Dom or Midnite, it, in the blue, says Global Moderator (which I believe is Dom) and one other (I  think it's you MB cause it ALSO says you're on).

This:
[ Administrator | Global Moderator ]
(minus the colors) just shows how our names display in the Users online area-- blue for admins and teal for our fab GM; ditto for the titles in our messages.  It's always going to be there regardless of whether we're online or not.

Is this part of the new & improved forum?

All the things you mentioned are updates.  The new forum we promised for the future sorta got relegated to the back seat when we were forced to convert to SE. :(

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 08:04:50 PM »
Just out of curiosity.........is there any other sort of Moderator besides a "Global Moderator"?  And if there is, what is the difference?   Are you perhaps planning these names in anticipation of that glorious day when you'll have a dozen minions to help out around here?  [smrtasb]

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 09:00:08 PM »
Just out of curiosity.........is there any other sort of Moderator besides a "Global Moderator"?  And if there is, what is the difference?

There are Moderators and Global Moderators. Moderators only have moderating privileges on the board(s) the administrator(s) might assign them to, whereas Global Moderators automatically have privileges on every board on a forum. Global Moderators also have access to certain administrative privileges.

Are you perhaps planning these names in anticipation of that glorious day when you'll have a dozen minions to help out around here?[smrtasb]

The designations were created by YaBB, but that would be nice. ;)

BTW, the colors have changed because I've installed the MemberGroup_Color mod for SE. Everyone's colors were supposed to change (similar to the ones we were using on SP), but that part doesn't seem to work. Apparently I'm going to have to try to figure out why that is on my own...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 09:12:42 PM »
Minions... ROFL!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 09:36:15 PM »
Minions... ROFL!

SOME people are easily amused..... [smrtasb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 09:54:05 PM »
Minions... ROFL!

SOME people are easily amused..... [smrtasb]

We take our amusement wherever we can. [lghy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Members' Archive To Return Soon? Maybe!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 03:38:14 AM »
A few people have been asking when the Members' Archive will be returning. The truth is I'm not quite sure. Setting up the Archive is going to be more complicated with SE than it was with SP, and I'd prefer to get a bit more experience with PHP before I attempt it. Also, there's been talk on the SE site of incorporating the ability to create nested forums within the main forum (a fancy way of saying that sub-forums would be able to be created in very much the same way as boards are created in each category). If that does indeed become a feature, it would honestly be the best way to go because it would not only simplify the creation of the new version of the Members' Archive, it would also simplify how we'd access it. ;)

WOOHOO!! The perfected version of this mod was just released today! Can't wait to install it in the copy of the forum on my computer to see how it works! And if it works as well as promised, it should only be a matter of time before the Members' Archive comes back into existence. (Not to mention a huge backload of stuff that's been waiting in the wings for months now would finally get posted...)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Collapsible BoardIndex / Members' Archive Return Possible
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 09:37:26 PM »
I don't know.....seems to me that it would be more efficient to get those minions lined up before you add any more chores to the list of things you have going on.  ::)

Honestly.....just how large a forum can three people supervise?  ???
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 09:48:46 PM »
I don't know.....seems to me that it would be more efficient to get those minions lined up before you add any more chores to the list of things you have going on.  ::)

We're actually working on that.

Honestly.....just how large a forum can three people supervise?  ???

Oh, I don't know. Midnite and I handled things quite nicely when the MA was up and running the first time. Midnite focused primarily on the main forum, and I primarily handled the archive and the Testing board. Back then guest access was still open, and the forum averaged more than 100 posts a day. With guest access currently closed, we average only about two thirds of that amount, and we now have dom as our GM. Hopefully something I was just discussing with Midnite last night will come to pass, and if so, we'll have more help. So, I wouldn't worry about us quite yet...

But if you feel that we might be overworked, you could volunteer some of your own time. After all, you probably spend more time logged in than most - why not put that time to good use? I'm sure Midnite, dom and I would welcome you with open arms! In fact, I can already see you handling a lot of the grunt work. Things like correcting errors in posts, moving posts to the correct boards, maintaining the error log by deleting the older errors - in other words, all sorts of fun stuff. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 09:58:24 PM »
......and what happens when you re-open membership?  Midnite's indicated that there's already a significant list of people who are waiting for that happy day.

Will you still be able to maintain order with a host of new people wandering about, asking questions and getting lost?  Glad to hear you anticipate the arrival of help.  I think you're going to need it!  ;) 
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 10:00:38 PM »
......and what happens when you re-open membership?

All the more reason for you to volunteer yourself. ;)

If it's any sort of an incentive, I could even create an all new "special" staff catagory just for you: Dark Shadows Forums Grunt. Has a nice ring, don't you think? ...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 10:16:28 PM »
All the more reason for you to volunteer yourself...

OH!!  Now THERE'S an idea!!!   [6184]

Bring on the short-tempered Luddite!!!  I could probably reduce membership to 16 people in a week's time!!!  Sorry.....you need people with a virtue I have NEVER had....lots and lots of patience.

All kidding aside, I do hope you find the help you're going to need, BEFORE you need it desperately.  [nerv]
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003, 10:30:25 PM »
All the more reason for you to volunteer yourself...
OH!!  Now THERE'S an idea!!!   [6184]

Bring on the short-tempered Luddite!!!  I could probably reduce membership to 16 people in a week's time!!!  Sorry.....you need people with a virtue I have NEVER had....lots and lots of patience.

Well, that's why we'd keep you doing background tasks - no need to actually interact with members. And as someone who has often voiced a reticence to learn some of the more complicated aspects of computing, this would be your chance to show off all the talents you readily possess. And dare I say, you *might* even learn new ones along the way in spite of yourself. All in all, I think it could be a fantastic opportunity for you. I'm sure Midnite and dom would agree that all you need do is say the word, and the position is yours! It could be the start of a beautiful relationship. [smlyb]

All kidding aside, I do hope you find the help you're going to need

All kidding aside, I know you do. :) But I'm actually only half-kidding about the position. Though, of course, it's entirely up to you...