Author Topic: Suspiria Alert  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Suspiria Alert
« on: March 22, 2003, 08:04:33 PM »
Looks like SciFi will be airing Dario Argento's Suspiria on 3/29 at 3AM.

http://www.tv-now.com/stars/joanben.html

Joan Bennett has an interesting, if brief part in it. Very gory Italian horror film, with minimal storyline, but it's also visually striking. Also features Alida Valli (who had not aged well) and a surprisingly good Jessica Harper.

Enjoy!
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Suspiria Alert
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 12:35:13 AM »
Never heard of it, but will try to catch it.  Thanks for telling us!  :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 02:20:47 AM »
I was in the local "Hollywood Video" store not 10 minutes ago, with a copy of the "Suspiria" tape in my hand.  And then I put it back and left the store.  Why did I do that?

???  rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 03:53:06 AM »
It's pretty extreme and freaky.  Very psychadelic with a migraine-inducing score to boot...  Yet, strangely compelling, all the same.

Joan's part is very small, but has more than a touch of Elizabeth about it.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2003, 03:53:49 AM »
I was in the local "Hollywood Video" store not 10 minutes ago, with a copy of the "Suspiria" tape in my hand.  And then I put it back and left the store.  Why did I do that?

Heh :) Of course, you may wish you did pick it up if the Sci Fi chops the film up. Not that the completed version will fill in any gaps.

Be warned. The film is extremely lacking in narrative cohesion. And the sound quality (except for the Goblin soundtrack) is poor.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2003, 04:21:34 AM »
Ahhhh, SUSPIRIA!  For anyone who hasn't seen it, I recommend renting the DVD (released by Anchor Bay Entertainment) to get the full effect of the widescreen composition and the rich, gorgeous colors.  Granted, there are scenes of violence and gore, but the film is so beautifully designed and shot that it really should be seen the way Dario Argento intended.

And not only is Joan Bennett in it, but there is a scene involving a bat that is reminiscent of DS.

Regards,

John 

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2003, 04:44:56 AM »
It's pretty extreme and freaky.  Very psychadelic with a migraine-inducing score to boot...  Yet, strangely compelling, all the same.

I really didn't expect to like it much, but I've watched it multiple times now (at first so I could make out half the dialogue). Kind of a spooky Grimm Brothers fairy tale in a way.

Joan's part is very small, but has more than a touch of Elizabeth about it.

But not quite ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 10:09:06 PM »
I love Suspiria just for the scene in which Joan uttered the immortal words, "I want you to get rid of that American bitch NOW!"  It sort of reminded me of Liz under the influence of the Leviathans... those evil smiles and calculating, cat like glints in the eyes.

Other than that, as far as I am concerned, the movie is a disaster area, but I'm the only person I know who thinks that.  (Well, now I think of it, my video junkie housemate watched it and agreed that Joan's scenes were the only salvageable parts of the flick.)

Of course my tape of it was made from a TV broadcast.  If I ever have the chance to see the Anchor Bay DVD, I might slightly alter my opinion.  But, honestly, I'm SO not a Dario Argento fan.

Gothick

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 11:48:01 PM »
Ah, yes, my favorite line of dialogue:  "We must get rid of that bitch of an American girl!  Vanish!  She must vanish!  Make her disappear! Understand?"

La Bennett's reading of that line reminds me of Ruth Gordon's line readings in ROSEMARY'S BABY.  ("I told ya not to tell her!  I told you she wouldn't be open-minded!  Now we gotta start all over again from SCRATCH!")

Regards,

John

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 01:28:22 AM »
Ah, yes, my favorite line of dialogue:  "We must get rid of that bitch of an American girl!  Vanish!  She must vanish!  Make her disappear! Understand?"

Isn't that a hoot?

One of my favorite bits happens at the beginning. She's delivers this really long-winded bit of exposition (enjoy it while it lasts because the plot becomes really murky afterward) to Jessica Harper in true Elizabeth Collins Stoddard fashion, complete with her best boarding school posture. Sends Harper on her way so she can resume talking to the police. Harper then turns around and interrupts. The look on Bennett's face is absolutely priceless.

That and when she and Alida Valli get their way about something Harper didn't want to do ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 12:45:24 AM »
Just to clarify for anyone else who finds these late night/early morning airings confusing ... This will air "late night Thursday" -- technically in the wee hours of Friday morning.  I'm glad I happened to notice that in my TV schedule, because I was thinking it was going to be late night Friday.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 06:08:30 AM »
One of my favorite bits happens at the beginning. She's delivers this really long-winded bit of exposition (enjoy it while it lasts because the plot becomes really murky afterward) to Jessica Harper in true Elizabeth Collins Stoddard fashion, complete with her best boarding school posture. Sends Harper on her way so she can resume talking to the police. Harper then turns around and interrupts. The look on Bennett's face is absolutely priceless.

When you think about it, SUSPIRIA is similar to the pre-Barnabas era of DS!  Both focus on young girls traveling to mysterious houses (presided over by Joan Bennett) and becoming involved in all sorts of mysterious and evil events.  Of course, La Liz never called Vicki a bitch... :)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 12:50:10 PM »
I agree..check it out!  I'm always looking for interesting horror genre movies old and new and stumbled upon this one at Hollywood Video. Although gory, just the fact that Joan Bennett is in it makes up for the violence.  True she does have a small part but it's a good one!  Note: Jessica Harper is from Chicago for those interested in knowing more about her.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 01:46:50 AM »
I watched my tape of the SciFi airing on Saturday night.  The movie wasn't too bad and definitely had some points of interest.  I'm not sure, though, whether I would have stuck with it had I just happened to turn it on without having heard about it here.  ;D

It's hard for me to know for sure if DS is influencing me or not, but I did think that Joan Bennett's performance was the best part of the film.  I had slightly mixed feelings about the square-built German woman; would be interesting to know if she is an actress of note (excuse my lack of knowledge)?  Bennett did keep you guessing as to her true nature, as the movie also kept the viewer guessing right up to the end.  That aspect was quite well done -- not knowing who was evil and who wasn't.

Parts of it seemed to "borrow" rather freely from "Rosemary's Baby" -- e.g., the "healthful" food that the main character was given to build up her strength, and the climactic discovery in the adjacent chambers of who the witches really were.  The movie itself, though, was no "Rosemary's Baby."  It seemed more like a cheap drive-in type of movie (not that I've ever actually been to a drive-in) ... and it did seem rather surprising that someone of Miss Bennett's stature would have wanted to be in it.  Just what is the director's reputation?

There were so many movies like this, a lot of them made-for-TV movies (e.g., Satan's School for Girls) in the 1970s ...

The music really did keep you on edge -- like fingernails on a chalkboard ...

What language was the movie originally made in?  The mouths and words didn't seem to match ... Was Joan Bennett speaking Italian?

And I definitely didn't hear her say "bitch" -- all she said was something about getting rid of "that American girl."  :(

What was the deal with the coils of wire that girl fell into?  And the first one who was murdered, it looked like the hairy arm was plugging an electrical cord into her.  And how did that black lingerie stay on the clothesline outside the apartment window with all the wind?!?  And didn't it seem like that girl's friend was overreacting?  How did she know that her friend was being murdered?  What was with the actor playing the psychiatrist -- it looked like he was reading his lines from a teleprompter.

Did SciFi alter the film much?  I assume they dubbed over the naughty word Joan Bennett was supposed to have said.

What are the differences in the two DVD versions?

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2003, 05:40:26 AM »
It's hard for me to know for sure if DS is influencing me or not, but I did think that Joan Bennett's performance was the best part of the film.  I had slightly mixed feelings about the square-built German woman; would be interesting to know if she is an actress of note (excuse my lack of knowledge)?

That was Alida Valli, who you may or may not have seen before  in movies like The Third Man and Hitchcock's The Paradine Case. She made a few films in Hollywood and was sometimes billed as "Valli," but her primary career has been in Europe.
Here's a picture of her from The Third Man

http://www.german-way.com/cinema/images/cottenvalli.jpg

Parts of it seemed to "borrow" rather freely from "Rosemary's Baby" -- e.g., the "healthful" food that the main character was given to build up her strength, and the climactic discovery in the adjacent chambers of who the witches really were.  The movie itself, though, was no "Rosemary's Baby."  It seemed more like a cheap drive-in type of movie (not that I've ever actually been to a drive-in) ... and it did seem rather surprising that someone of Miss Bennett's stature would have wanted to be in it.  Just what is the director's reputation?

Dario Argento? He's an interesting filmmaker really. This film was part of a trilogy based rather loosely on a piece from Thomas DeQuincey, although I don't think the third film was ever made. His films tend to be loose narratively, but rather striking visually. This particular film has quite the cult status and there tend to be two schools of thought: 1. It's genius 2. It's crap.

To the best of my knowledge, Bennett fell into the latter camp. Her husband was asked about the picture and said something like, "oh, that awful movie Joan did so we could go to Rome."

What language was the movie originally made in?  The mouths and words didn't seem to match ... Was Joan Bennett speaking Italian?

From what I've read, no, Bennett, Valli, and Harper spoke English. I'm not sure about sure about the actress who played the friend there, but many of the cast were speaking all sorts of languages and the dialogue was dubbed.

This is an interview Harper did about the movie:
http://www.geocities.com/digitalcinema/jessicaharper.html

And I definitely didn't hear her say "bitch" -- all she said was something about getting rid of "that American girl."  :(

Oh, she says "bitch" all right ;) I fell asleep during the Sci Fi airing so they may have dubbed it, but on my taped version, she most definitely says "We must get rid of that bitch of an American girl!  Vanish!  She must vanish!  Make her disappear! Understand?"  ;D (yes, I know it's cheesy, but I get such a kick out of it)

What was the deal with the coils of wire that girl fell into?

You got me. Seems like an awfully bizarre kind of a death trap to have laying around. You would have thought a group of witches would have been a bit more subtle (these after all are the same people who managed to make Harper fall ill to begin with simply so they could grab her board money and who managed to make the dog attack the blind piano player).

And the first one who was murdered, it looked like the hairy arm was plugging an electrical cord into her.  And how did that black lingerie stay on the clothesline outside the apartment window with all the wind?!? 

I know the hairy arm belonged to Argento. He apparently uses his own whenever there's a killer required. As for the clothes, I think we are supposed to be freaked by the supernatural aspect or something. I don't really know. The set details always nab my attention.

And didn't it seem like that girl's friend was overreacting?  How did she know that her friend was being murdered?

Sarah? She drove me absolutely nuts. I think it was an IMDB review where I read one person's perplexed comments about her. She hears the footsteps every night and instead of at least considering a logical conclusion like maybe the teachers were having a meeting or coffee or something, she becomes obsessed by the notion that it's suspicious. Another Rachel Drummond, lol.

What was with the actor playing the psychiatrist -- it looked like he was reading his lines from a teleprompter.

Couldn't stand him either. It's a weird scene really. Doesn't fit with the rest of the mood of the film--brings Harper's character back into the real world, which is jarring. After all, as soon as she walks out of the airport, she's in a nightmarish universe.

Some of the commentary I've come across for this film suggests that it's meant to be a very dark fairy tale and I would agree with that assessment.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/film_review.asp?ID=405