Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0214  (Read 1300 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0214
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
Robservations - #214

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0214

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »
When Carolyn was cajoling her mother to hire Mrs. Johnson a few months ago, she said Mrs. Johnson was a great cook.  Today, however, she didn't argue when Roger complained about Mrs. Johnson's cooking.  So I think I was right before (somewhere or other): Carolyn occasionally visited Bill Malloy's house when she was a child, and Mrs. Johnson gave her snacks that she liked because it was different from home.  Then when Mrs. Johnson came to work at Collinwood, Carolyn ate Mrs. Johnson's cooking three times a day and changed her tune pretty fast.

We got our first signs today of a memory problem with Jonathan Frid: some difficulty in the Old House and two bloopers in the study with Roger - "eternal health" corrected by Louis Edmonds to "eternal life"  (Edmonds was nimble at correcting other people's bloopers as well as his own) and a comment about Joshua Collins's jewelry rather than Barnabas's, which Edmonds didn't correct.

I figure James Hall's bloopers were part of what got him fired, but Dark Shadows management can't do that so easily with Frid: not with the portrait of Barnabas hanging in the foyer.  And I imagine they had already seen enough of Frid's acting so they would have been very reluctant to fire him anyway.  So the writers learned to write lines that were easier to remember than what he got today.  That laundry list in the Old House - foundation, clamshell and horsehair in the walls, Dutch something-or-other (would that be the Delft tile fireplace that I love so much?), Italian and Spanish workmen - it must have been torture for Frid to memorize.

Barnabas adores the great house of Collinwood and the Old House, but he badmouths the Collins family of the era of the supposed "first" Barnabas Collins.  If I were Vicky, I'd be asking him, "Wasn't anybody nice back then?"

When I listened today to Barnabas's story of the father and son arguing on the Old House staircase, I had a different feeling from what I had the last time I watched this episode.  In the intervening years I have started writing down the history of my own family, and reading whatever I can find to add to it.  (Blessings be upon Google for scanning tomes and musty old magazines that nobody would ever want to read, but which contain precious stray nuggets of information.)  So I can't help imagining Barnabas as if his story were true: as if he were indeed the last member of the English branch of the Collins family, with the stories he read in journals and letters, and the stories his father and grandfather told him.  And I think: "It's all in his head.  And when he dies it will be gone."  So much is lost each time the last of a generation dies.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
Here's what Barnabas says about all the nationalities and their contributions to the Old House. It mentions plain old bricks from Holland. That Delft fireplace migrates to various settings, if I remember. The list must have been hell for JF to memorize, but it's just great:

The design and construction of this house represented a marriage of the elegance of Europe and the vigor and enterprise of a new world. The foundations were made from rocks left behind by the ancient glaciers (which JF pronounces to rhyme with “racier”), thousands of years ago. The beams and supports were cut from ancient local forests. The plaster walls were made from crushed clamshells and horsehair. Bricks were imported from Holland. That dusty chandelier, brought over from France, gleamed with hypnotic brilliance. That faded wallpaper was specially designed by a Belgian artist. The parquet floors were installed by an Italian craftsman. Cornices and moldings were the effort of a Spanish craftsman.

When Roger meets Barnabas at Collinwood, he offers his new-found "cousin" some Amontillado.  [ghost_grin]

Good luck with your family history, Lydia--what a great project!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
I love this shot of Barnabas from this ep:

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Wow, thanks, MB!! It's just about perfect! Barnabas has just told Vicki, This house was not _designed_ to be a tomb. The balustrades, thick with spiderwebs, look like prison bars framing his anguished face. Another great JF moment.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »
This is one of my favorite episodes mostly because I like old houses.  Vickie is once again unafraid, despite having witnessed many supernatural events, she goes headfirst into the old house as if she had never seen a ghost.  There she meets Barnabas who is not a ghost, but as David said seems to haunt the house that was not designed to be a tomb.
If it were not for Jason's remarks on Mrs J's cooking, I might be inclined to think that Roger was just being snobbish about her boiled dinners. It must be fairly hard to ruin a boiled dinner.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:05:02 AM »
For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a recipe for a New England Boiled Dinner.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:09:29 AM »
Whoa. Tallk about a gas attack.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Maybe it's just as well that Mrs. Johnson burned them!  [ghost_wink]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 01:12:34 AM »
It seems like everyone is slow on the up-take, and picking up the oddities with Barnabas.

Everyone is so excepting, Vickie is the one that is getting the strange feelings.

I think there is a new disease.  CDD, Collins Denial Disorder.  With everything that is going
around on the estate, people just don't see or just ignore things.

Barnabas it seems is more scary because he looks so normal.  No real spikes yet.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »
CDD...I like that.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans