Author Topic: Robservations 3/20/03 - #856-857 - Trading Places; A Doxy Named Wanda  (Read 1197 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
856 - Quentin is asleep in the drawing room when Peotif's eyes roll up his head, his concentration intense. Quentin! cries Beth--they're trying to d something terrible to you--you must wake up, before it's too late!--you've GOT to wake up!  Could it be too late? Wonders Betn--no, it's impossible, you're in a trance of some kind, whatever Petofi's trying to do hasn't happened yet--or has it? She takes Quentin's hand and presses it to her face.

Fish-eyed Petofi wakes up, holding his head as if in pain. He sinks to his knees, then collapses on the floor, unconscious.

Quentin awakens.  Beth is thrilled--I was afraid you wouldn't regain consciousness, that Petofi had succeeded. He looks at her oddly.  Are you all right? she asks--speak to me!  He looks calculating, then says, of course, I'm all right. Thank God, she says. I must have dozed off in the chair, he says. No, it was more, much more, she says--I don't know exactly, but Petofi was trying to do something hideous to you--I was there when he was telling Aristede, and then Petofi went into another room to perform some sort of ritual. And this was supposed to have some sort of effect on me? asks Q. Yes, she says. Do you know exactly what? He asks.
No, says Beth, I asked Aristede, but all he told me was that I should imagine the most horrible thing that could happen to a human being, because that was going to happen to you. Quentin rises--did you come here to save me? he asks.  Yes, she says. You don't hate me anymore? he asks. No, I never did, never could, she assures him, no matter what happens--if I had killed you that night, I'd have killed myself, too. Q reminds her--Petofi saved me that night, so we are both in his debt. No, she says, you owe him nothing, and neither do I--he's an evil, foul man, and I hate him! Do you? asks Q.  Yes, she replies. I'm very grateful to you, says Q, I don't know how I could be so wrong about you--even though I didn't have any other choice, I don't know how I could have let another woman come between us. She's thrilled--do you really mean that? Yes, he says, and kisses her with large, wet passion, holding her tightly--now I want you to meet me at the cottage later tonight, he says--until I resolve some things with Angelique, it's better we aren't seen together, but I want us to discuss OUR plans together, later; we're going to be together again, he promises. Beth, ecstatic, says, I love you. I love you, too, he says, going for another kiss with gusto--meet me at the cottage at 3 o'clock; I'm going to find Angelique and talk to her at once. Beth looks like she could fly, she's so happy.

Magda is waiting at the gazebo when she hears a rustling sound. It's Quentin, who asks what are you doing out here? She anxiously asks, are you all right?  I am, he replies, rather curtly. I was worried, the way you were behaving, she says, I came to talk to Petofi, but I can't get in, the mill is locked. You haven't seen Petofi, then? He asks.  No, she says. He smiles--I'm fine, he says. But something did happen before, she you were like a crazy man. All over now, he says, in fact, I feel like a new man--I'm going to the mill--unfinished business with Petofi--do you remember seeing the ring?  I don't understand why you're still wearing it, she says. Nether do I, says Q, and I'm returning it. Don't go in there, she begs, something bad is happening, I felt it all night--don't go to see Petofi.  "That's impossible," he says, but I'm not afraid of Petofi--not anymore.

Petofi lies on the floor, his glasses have fallen off his face, so when he comes to consciousness, and everything is blurry. He stares around himself, confused, his vision near blindness. He reaches out blindly, pushing aside the glasses. Aristede enters.  Who are you? asks Petofi--what's happened to me?--what are you gonna to do me? Aristede picks up the glasses--"I'm going to help you," he says.  Who are you? asks Petofi. Put these on, says Aristede, handing him the glasses. Petofi does so and recognizes Aristede. At your service, the other man says.  What am I doing here? asks Petofi--how did I get here? You've been here all along, says Aristede. "Is this one of his rotten tricks?" demands Petofi, grabbing for Aristede's lapels--I'll make him tell me!  Then Petofi notices his hideous hand. (Someone sneezes loudly in the background.) He holds it up, asking hysterically, give me a mirror!  Aristede laughs at him--there's no mirror here! "Aristede, for God's sake, tell me what he's done to me!" cries Petofi.  The other man just laughs. Someone else is laughing--Quentin, standing in the doorway. "My boy," he says, "we must get you a mirror." His eyes are filled with mirth. He holds up a mirror in front of Petofi. "Oh, NO!" he moans. Yes, says Quentin--yes, you know, there is an essential difference between us--your mind is having great difficulty adapting to your new body, while mine is making the transition with incredible ease--how exhilarating is it to be young and handsome and so full of energy again. Say something--Quentin Collins!" "I don't believe this is happening," says Petofi, "it's a nightmare." "Oh, but it is happening--Quentin, your mind and spirit are now in the body of Count Petofi--my mind and spirit are in the body of Quentin Collins--how does it feel to see yourself enter a room--sort of like seeing yourself step right out of a mirror, isn't it? Quentin admires himself in the mirror. "How did you do this to me?" demands Petofi--"WHY?" A very fair question that deserves an honest answer, says Quentin--I'll be needing this body because it's the answer to all my problems--my key to the future--I've learned without a host body to inhabit, only one's essence can transcend time, so for me to go to the future, I need a host body awaiting me--and this is the host body. How can that be? asks Petofi, I belong in this time, not the future. It may interest you to know, says Q, that Quentin Collins is alive in the year 1969.  Impossible, insists Petofi. No, I made is possible, says Quentin--the portrait Tate painted of you not only ended your curse, but gave you--or should I say me--immortality! Quentin simpers--this body is not only alive in 1969, but still looks as it does now. He lights a cheroot in a candle. "You are a fiend," whispers Petofi--"A monster!"  You must get used to the reality of this situation, insists Quentin --I am not Count Petofi, I am Quentin Collins--YOU are Count Petofi!"   "I AM Quentin Collins!" wails Petofi. Aristede, says Quentin--look at this man and tell me who he is. Count Petofi, answers Aristede, anyone would know him. Of course, says Q, smoking his cheroot--"You might have the idea that you can scream the truth to the world, but believe me, they'll only think you completely mad." Petofi, holding up the withered hand, asks, have you forgotten one thing--the power of the hand--Ie can make you undo what you did!  He grabs Quentin around the throat. Stay where you are, Aristede, orders Quentin, easily forcing Petofi's hand away from his throat. He pushes the old man onto the couch, asking, "Do you think I'm fool enough to leave the power of the hand in THAT body? No, my boy, I do think of everything--the power of the hand is with me! And speaking of the hand, I am going to return this ring to you, because if I do go on wearing it, people will get curious, perhaps even suspicious--it has served its purpose. He hands the ring to Petofi. I trust you shall wear it in good health. "You can't do this to me, you can't," pleads Petofi. "I already have," says Quentin, and before I send you out of here, there's one more thing I'm going to do
--I want you to realize it's futile and useless to try to fight--Aristede...  The latter steps forward and pulls the glasses off Petofi's face. "Aristede, please don't take my glasses," begs Petofi, "I can't see without them." He pleads for the glasses back, but Aristede plays a cruel game of keep-away with them, holding them out of Petofi's reach as the elderly man tries to follow him, calling his name over and over. Defeated, exhausted, Petofi leans against a wall. Quentin, cigar in hand, leans next to his ear and says, softly, "Now, will you be quiet and listen to me? Now do you realize how vulnerable you really are?" He holds the cigar as if to set Petofi's beard aflame. "Now, I would suggest that you do not interfere in my plans." Petofi asks, "Why don't you kill me now?--it's useless for me to go on living, why don't you kill me, get it over with"  I can't do that, says Quentin--the body you are occupying is also part of my plans. Aristede hands the glasses to Quentin, who returns them to Petofi. The humiliated old man puts them on.

Petofi leaves the mill, wiping his mouth with a handkerchief. He runs into Magda--I'm glad you're still here, he says.  Where is Quentin? she asks--why hasn't he come out yet? Something terrible has happened, he reveals.  Have you done something to Quentin? she asks. I must talk to you, says Petofi--I AM Quentin--Petofi did do something, so horrible I can't understand it yet--he switched the minds of Quentin and Petofi!
I never heard of such a thing, insists Magda--it's one of your trucks. "I'm telling the truth, Magda!" he declares, advancing toward her. She orders him to stay away--you are Petofi, you look and sound the same, I can even tell you think the same--you're fooling me, I won't listen! And she runs off, leaving him sad and bereft.

You're curiously silent, Quentin tells Aristede--did my display of power fail to impress you? No, I was very impressed, Aristede assures him, but about the future--how do I fit into it? When the time comes, you shall gain the sight--says Q, until then, we won't discuss it.  Aristede agrees. We have things to do, says Quentin, we must leave.

Petofi returns to Collinwood. We heard Quentin's voice, saying, "I can't go in there now. I can never explain what has happened, no one would believe me! He was right--people will think I'm insane--I've got to go somewhere else, think this thing out..."

Cottage - Beth enters Quentin's love nest and turns on a light. She hears a sound and sees Petofi emerge from the bedroom. She wants to flee from him.  I must speak to you, he insists. I don't  want anymore to do with you, she says.  I must tell you something, he says, you'll find it hard to understand, but you must believe me--because it's true. She's nearly hysterical, thinking he came here to kill her because she went to Quentin. I don't want to harm you--just let me talk to you--I need you--something terrible has happened! Quentin enters the cottage.  Beth runs into his arms, so glad he's there--when I came in, Petofi was waiting for me!  Stay away from him, Beth! warns Petofi.  Take me away from here now, Beth begs Quentin. "He's not Quentin, I am Quentin!" blares Petofi as Beth huddles close to the man she believes to be Quentin. "He did something tonight, cries Petofi
--I don't know what it was, but I know he did it because I know that I am Quentin--the mind in this body is the mind of Quentin Collins, just as the mind in that body is the mind of Petofi! I see and feel and think as Quentin Collins, you must believe me, Beth, he's the one you should be afraid of, not me. You're in danger with him!"  Beth doesn't get it.  I don't, either, says Quentin, but I'm beginning to understand that the mighty Petofi has finally fallen victim to his own evil!--he's gone mad, he's completely deranged.  Believe me, Beth! Petofi begs, I know what I'm saying!  Do you believe him, Beth? asks Quentin. It's too fantastic, says Beth. Of course, agrees Quentin, he's lost all of his powers, he's nothing but an old, harmless man. He grins cruelly. The Count Petofi we know is gone," says Quentin, "as we once knew him." He leads Beth out of the cottage as Petofi again begs her not to go with him. "HE IS PETOFI, I AM QUENTIN, I AM QUENTIN, I am Quentin..." And he bows his head, knowing it's futile.

NOTES: Great acting on the part of everyone. This is going to get confusing, but I'm calling everyone by the names that match their bodies, so Quentin will be Quentin and Petofi, Petofi, otherwise, I will go mad! Pretty ingenious--and hideous--idea on Petofi's part. Who'd want to find oneself in an old man's body? I was also thinking how Beth is going to make love to Petofi in Quentin's body--will it be different enough for her to say, "Hey, this isn't Quentin!" As Petofi goes around trying to convince a lot of different people who he is, it's going to get quite interesting. Excellent show, full of suspense and drama.

857 - Intro: . . .Trapped the mind of Quentin in his own ungainly body (what a mean thing to say about Thayer David)!

Quentin, standing outside the doors of Collinwod with Aristede, contemplates with satisfaction (in Petofi's voice) how beautiful the place looks through my new eyes. Don't go in there, begs Aristede--what if you make a mistake? They'll only think Quentin drunk again, says Q--distracted by all his women. (see how Petofi turns Q's excesses against him?)  He grins at the thought.  Perhaps you're too confident--one mistake too many and they'll know who you are, warns Aristede--perhaps we should go to the future immediately.  You know I can't without the right hexagram, Quentin reminds him--I have to keep testing for the right hexagram. I have it narrowed down, and plan to send someone through the door, through the darkness, tonight--how about you, Aristede? Quentin suggests--yes, I think that would be an excellent choice. Aristede, apparently not agreeing, looks horrified. Why so pale? asks Q--I thought you were anxious to go to the future. If it were the wrong door, blathers Aristede nervously, I'd hate to think of Your Excellency managing without me. You're just afraid, says Quentin.  Are you joking? asks Aristede.  Yes, says Q, to A's great relief--you're too valuable to me to be risked--you won't have to go through the I Ching tonight, but find someone else in two hours and bring that person to the cottage. I'll find someone, vows Aristede, and make sure the cottage is clear; no one will come around while we are entertaining our new friend.

Quentin enters Collinwood slowly. In the drawing room, Edward and Trask are arguing. How dare you talk to me like this? shouts Edward--I'm not one of your schoolchildren! It's the ledger that is talking to you, says Trask--it says in black and white that each person who stays in this house adds big expense to the household, especially someone with such refined tastes as Lady Kitty. Blast your ledger, shouts Edward, you can't run Collinwood like a boarding school! I can when it's MY money that's being spent! shouts Trask. Edward retorts--the money is still Judith's, I will thank you to remember. And I have her power of attorney--I will thank you to remember THAT! roars Trask. Edward pulls open the double doors. Quentin is there.  Come in, urges Edward--explain to this "gentleman" about Collinwood's tradition of hospitality. Yes, tell me about it, says Trask, I'm sure Amanda Harris would like to hear about it. Why should he be concerned? asks Q, about what Amanda likes or dislikes? How insensitive you are to the feelings of other people, accuses Trask. No, says Q, reaching for a drink, I've merely found that others are quite capable of taking care of themselves. See here, Quentin, says Trask, grabbing his elbow, are you going to pretend it never happened? Quentin turns on him, a look of sheer rage on his face, and says, in a dangerous voice, "I abhor people tugging at my sleeve!"   "And I abhor you," retorts Trask, "for the way you treated that girl!--I dissembled, I stole, but it was for a good cause, and I am not ashamed." I'm sure it isn't the first time you've stolen or lied, says Q--so why get so excited about it now? Amanda's salvation is important to me--can you understand that? demands Trask.  Quentin grins, quaffing his drink--yes, I understand. Trask informs him, "I was the one who took your note, I kept her from meeting you, I did everything in my power to stop her, to protect her from you until the last moment I saw her."--what's the matter, Quentin, you seem different somehow. Perhaps it's because Amanda's out of the house and you just THINK I'm different, suggests Quentin, but don't be a fool, Trask, I am the same, let me assure you. Words, just words, says Trask, but Edward is paying very close attention to this exchange. They do not alter my shock at your lack of concern for poor Amanda, says Trask--I wish she could hear you now--she thought you cared for her, but I was the only one who cared for her, who could of helped her
--you are incapable of loving or caring for anyone but yourself! Quentin adjusts his cufflinks and asks, are you quite finished?--if you are, please get out. "Yes, I'm finished," says Trask, "and in my loss, triumphant, because now the world can see the truth about you, the truth I have always known--that Quentin Collins is the most callous, heartless womanizer I have ever known!" He turns and leaves. Edward is staring with furrowed brow at Q, who asks what's the matter?  I don't know, answers Edward--you tell me. I'm terribly concerned about Amanda, says Q, but why should I expose my heart to Trask? No, says Edward, it's not Amanda, something is different about you--what's wrong--Quentin, tell me what's the matter.

A dejected Petofi sits in the cottage. Aristede enters--get out, he orders--it's Collins property--don't tell me you're Quentin, I have too much to do to listen to the babblings of a crazy old man. I could kill you! threatens Petofi.
It's as useless to go around threatening people as to insist you're Quentin, taunts Aristede--now get out! Petofi refuses.  Aristede grabs him from the chair and tosses him toward the door--you're soft from easy living! He jeers. Where is he now? asks Petofi.  Collinwood, says Aristede--why, do you intend to go there shouting that he isn't Quentin? No, says Petofi, sooner or later he will say something, make a mistake, and someone will know he isn't really me!  Aristede laughs--he won't make a mistake!--it may be your body, but remember, it's his mind, and he's a lot smarter than you are. We have a split screen comprised of Petofi and Quentin for a few moments.

Something was bothering me, says Quentin, and after listening to you and Trask, Edward, I realized what it was--Trask is insufferable!--he's like some medieval torture machine, some grim punishment pressing down on all of us, squeezing the life from this family!  I didn't know you had such a way with words, remarks Edward. Trask inspires me, says Quentin, and I won't take what Trask says. It's not just life he's squeezing out of us, it's money, says Edward. We must do something, insists Q. There's a way of dealing with Trask, says Edward, and I think I may have found it.

Yes, brags Edward, I think I found a very effective way of dealing with Trask--don't you want to know what it is? You know I would, says Q. "I shall marry Lady Hampshire," says Edward--she's a very charming lady.  Quentin is shocked.  She also has other assets as well, adds Edward--she's very wealthy--the Hampshire holdings take up half the county--what's wrong, Quentin, don't you approve of my plan? Quentin points out, the recent death of her husband just might stand in your way. I worried about that at first, admits Edward, but now I feel she's drawn to me, and things are going well. (Such irony here, each thinks the other has money, and neither does.) Quentin agrees--Kitty is very interested in you. It takes money to be master of this place, and I think Trask's days of being master are coming to an end, says Edward. So do I, agrees Quentin, looking quite pleased about it.

Dock - A lady of the evening, slugging booze straight from the bottle, drinks and wipes her mouth in a most unladylike manner. Aristede grabs the bottle from her and tosses it in the trash. Hey, I worked for that, she protests. Forget it, I'll get you champagne, promises Aristede. She's impressed--no one ever told me I was a champagne girl before (dock slut fits better). You've never met anyone like me before, says Aristede--I'm not like the other men in this town. He touches her chin in an intimate manner.  I'm pretty new here myself, she confesses.  Then we'll have to really celebrate your arrival, says Aristede. Where are we going? she asks.  It will be a night you will never forget, Aristede assures her. They walk off, his arm around her.

Petofi comes to Collinwood and enters the drawing room, where Edward looks over the ledger.  I'm sure Edward will believe what I'm telling him, muses Petofi, no matter how incredible itsounds--he's known me since birth, he must know me now--Edward, my brother. Petofi enters the drawing room.  Edward greets him kindly and offers him a nightcap. I must speak to you, says Petofi--something's terribly wrong--I am Quentin, he says--do you hear me?--I'm Quentin, forget the brandy. I assure you, if you were Quentin, you wouldn't forget about the brandy, says Edward.  It's not a joke, insists Petofi. When you say something so patently absurd, how can I take it as a joke, and not a very funny joke, especially considering what's been happening around this house? asks Edward. You know what happened here, he says, and you know Petofi was responsible.  Edward sits down with his drink and says, I know I suspected you, but time proved that what happened at Collinwood was Barnabas' fault. No, it wasn't Barnabas--it was Petofi! insists the other man.  Edward is confused.  It's not confusing, says Petofi--it's diabolical--listen, please, you must, Petofi has stolen my body, and left me trapped in his--Petofi's mind is in my body, just as my mind is in his body--do you understand who I am, don't you know who's talking to you? he asks desperately. "You are Petofi," says Edward, drinking. No, says Petofi, I look like him, sound like him, but behind the face and voice is the mind of Quentin Collins--Petofi has taken my body, he says, gazing at himself in the mirror--if I can't get it back, the entire Collins family will be in danger now and in the future--do you understand? Go home, advises Edward. I'm NOT mad, please listen--Petofi is terrified of the gypsies, they've been his downfall before now and will be again unless he can escape. And he plans to escape in my body--I know it's difficult to believe, but do try. Where would he go in Quentin's body? asks Edward. "MY BODY!" corrects Petofi.  Edward continues...that he can't go in his own? To the future, says Petofi, "to 1969, because, you see, I am still alive in 1969!"
Edward looks at him like he's totally whacked.

Cottage - Quentin brings the I-Ching wands and sets them down on a table. Aristede enters with Wanda Paisley--who is joining us tonight. Why didn't you tell me you had a friend? asks Wanda--I don't mind another participant, she smiles, as long as there's champagne for Wanda. She reaches for the I-Ching wands and asks, what are these? Quentin grabs them away from her--they are going to be used for a little game we're going to play, explains Quentin. Oh, games first? She asks--what's the point in that? I like games, says Quentin. I do, too, says Wanda, depending on what happens in the games (if you know what I mean). They smile at each other. Wonderful things are going to happen in this game, says Quentin. I wish you had told me about this, Wanda tells Aristede. Why? asks Quentin, I can assure you you'll be very well paid for all services rendered. She agrees with him--that's what counts! Sit down at the table, says Quentin, I will explain all.

Edward is skeptical about Petofi's claim that Quentin is still alive in 1969--I think I'd better call the doctor. No doctor, insists Petofi, grabbing Edward by the shoulders, he'll think me mad, and that would suit his plans perfectly, to have me confined where the gypsies could get me!--please, don't send for the doctor! Get hold of yourself, says Edward, promising not to call the doctor--I think you had better go home--and leads Petofi to the door. Believe me, please help me! begs Petofi. I promise to help you in every way I can, says Edward--go home and stop talking about these aberrations of yours--you're only hurting yourself. Petofi looks around the foyer before silently going (very sad to see him kicked out of his own home).

Quentin tells Wanda, it's very important that you tell me what you see on the other side of the door. She refuses to do it--sounds cuckoo, going through a door that ain't there! But it is there, says Quentin, it's all in your mind. There ain't no doors in my mind, she says--skip the champagne, I'll leave without it. She starts to leave, but Aristede detains her. Quentin holds out his hand and touches her throat--I'm quite sure you will reconsider, he says--come here where you belong and sit right down. She does so, docilely, takes the wands from Quentin and throws them. He sets up the Tai Kwon hexagram, that of vigor. Concentrate, he orders Wanda, on your mind, and nothing else--that is your only reality, your only need... The wands spin.  Wanda falls into a trance. Someone knocks at the door; Quentin orders Aristede to get it. Wanda's in a trance, says Q, nothing will disturb her now. Petofi, at the door, shouts, you must not find a way to the future--I won't let you take my body! Aristede grabs him and punches him in the face. That's enough, says Quentin, pulling Aristede away Petofi--don't kill him, I still find that ungainly body very precious--lock him in the back room.  Aristede does, none too gently. Wanda moans in her trance, not in a happy way. I see it, she says, I see it!--the door opened.  Go into it, orders Quentin. No, she says, I don't want to, it's dark. Do it, and tell me everything you see, demands Quentin. A pair of skeletal hands reach out for Wanda, who screams. She sees a laughing skull with bulging eyes. She screams and screams, terrified, as the entire skeleton grows larger, looming closer.
When we return to the cottage, all that's left in Wanda's chair is a skeleton, adorned in her hair and clothing. Good God, what happened to her? Aristede asks.  Quentin, terrified, says I don't know--anything is possible beyond the I-Ching door--anything. And the camera focuses on dead Wanda, who never even got her champagne.

NOTES: Whoa, baby, would Barnabas and Julia have used I-Ching if they had known they might end up like poor Wanda, a good time girl who only wanted champagne? She seemed quite willing to be part of a threesome with Quentin and Aristede, but she ended up dead, her skeleton wearing only a wig and her tacky clothes. What a lousy way to go, LOL! Is Quentin/Petofi planning to kill 60 something more people before finding the right hexagram? He should have just forced Julia to tell him the one he needs.

It's pitiful to watch Petofi try to tell Edward--anyone!--who he really is. You'd have thought Edward would be more receptive, considering he noticed something odd about his brother. Someone is going to have to believe him, but who is it going to be. Kudos to Thayer David for an amazing performance, and jeers to the unfeeling producers who twice refer to his body as ungainly.

Interesting, too, to hear that Edward is almost as calculating as Kitty--he's going to marry HER for her money! Ironically, neither of them has any wealth of their own, so it would pretty much be two paupers getting married. How ironic that is! Edward has apparently been putting on an act as much as Kitty has--yet he seemed so sincere!

Now, who will believe poor Petofi--er--Quentin?

Love, Robin