Author Topic: OT - Progress on My St.-Germain Translation  (Read 623 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - Progress on My St.-Germain Translation
« on: March 19, 2003, 03:35:03 AM »
There are only two French phrases or expressions that are still stumping me in my translation of a sonnet written by the Comte de St.-Germain (see old thread for reason why this is somewhat DS-related).

The first term is quite simple and straight-forward:

"mis contre".  "Contre" means "against," but I haven't been able to figure out "mis contre."  If it means something like "up against" that doesn't quite make sense, so I feel it may be an idiomatic expression.  Could it have something to do with comparing one thing with another?

The other phrase still puzzling me are these two words the poet uses in describing himself:

"curieux scrutateur."  According to my reference sources, both of these words are adjectives, the first meaning something like "curious, inquisitive," etc., and the second meaning "searching."  However, a computer-based machine translation gave me "curious teller."  This is quite interesting and would also work with the way the next stanza begins, but a dictionary I consulted gives the meaning "teller" in the specific context of a political poll (maybe something comparable to a bank teller). Obviously that term could be laughably out of place in the context of this poem.

My French is elementary, but I've been able to recognize the form of the verbs, etc., so with the help of a dictionary I have been able to produce a literal translation of the rest of it -- one that I can make sense of.

To transform this literal translation into equivalent poetical language in English, while retaining accuracy, will be another matter altogether.

Thank you if anyone can shed any light on these few remaining French phrases.

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Progress on My St.-Germain Translation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 04:16:07 AM »
There are only two French phrases or expressions that are still stumping me in my translation of a sonnet written by the Comte de St.-Germain (see old thread for reason why this is somewhat DS-related).

The other phrase still puzzling me are these two words the poet uses in describing himself:

"curieux scrutateur."  According to my reference sources, both of these words are adjectives, the first meaning something like "curious, inquisitive," etc., and the second meaning "searching."  However, a computer-based machine translation gave me "curious teller."  This is quite interesting and would also work with the way the next stanza begins, but a dictionary I consulted gives the meaning "teller" in the specific context of a political poll (maybe something comparable to a bank teller). Obviously that term could be laughably out of place in the context of this poem.

According to my American Heritage Dictionary, under "scrutinize" they have: Middle English scrutinie- taking of a formal vote.....from Latin scrutinium- inquiry, search.....from scrutari- search, examine.....from scruta- trash.

Sounds to me like he's calling himself one who scrutinizes everything around him out of insatiable curiosity.

But what the hell do I know?....I don't speak French!  ::)

rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Progress on My St.-Germain Translation
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 06:54:30 AM »
The translation will depend on the context of the phrase.  One possibility for "mis" could be the past participle of "mettre" (to put.)  Could it be "put against?"  You've already figured out "scrutateur" as "scrutinizer."

Best of luck finishing the translation!

ProfStokes