Author Topic: Robservations 3/19/03 - #854-855 - Body Snatcher  (Read 1280 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 3/19/03 - #854-855 - Body Snatcher
« on: March 18, 2003, 09:59:29 PM »
854 - Quentin surveys the ruby ring on his hand, thinking, I don't want a new life from Petofi--but I can't wrest the ring from my hand, no matter how much I struggle!

Old Mill - Petofi sits in a chair, looking as if he's expecting someone. Aristede enters and turns on a light, then starts to take a drink. No wine, warns Petofi, because tonight will be the most important night of our lives, more important than the night we arrived at Collinwood, or the night I found you shivering with cold on the embankment in London--more important even than the night I found this (his hand). Aristede notes, your ring is gone.  You're observant, says Petofi--what would I do without you?--tell me, Aristede, you are so fascinated by clothes--what do you think they will wear in the time I'm going to?--Julia Hoffman showed up in that obscenely short skirt, but I find it hard to believe men's clothes will be in such bad taste--I must have Beth tell me exactly what Quentin was wearing in the future. You can still ask her, says Aristede, if you trust her  answers. The future, exults Petofi--I've lived for 150 years, and for a hundred of them, lived in fear of the gypsies--but in the future, we shall be free. Aristede picks up the wine bottle again--we should celebrate, he says.  Petofi takes it from him--I want none of your usual bungling, he warns--and drops it on the floor, where it shatters. Aristede is surprised by this gesture. Everything must be perfect, instructs Petofi, what I am doing tonight will require intense concentration, and he can't afford to worry about you, who has a most important part--soon I will have a visitor who will ask many questions, and I will want to know how my plan is working, then I'll want the interruption I've planned--I will say a certain word, and when you hear it, you will come from that room--the word will be "unknown," because my new life will be just that--unknown. Aristede asks--what will my fate be when you go into the future? You will follow me, explains Petofi. HOW? cries Aristede. Quiet, demands Petofi--he's just about to leave Collinwood, now I will find out if my plan is progressing, if I've been powerful enough to...SHE has stopped him from coming, exclaims Petofi, furious.

No, of course you think me mad, Kitty tells Quentin--what else could you think, seeing me talking to that strange woman at the rectory?  Quentin, wearing his cape, looks away. Why did I go there, what was I after? she demands. Kitty, he says soothingly. You heard what I said to her, now tell me! cries Kitty. You were looking for someone, and it was some kind of aberration, says Q.  TELL ME! she shouts. "Barnabas Collins," admits Quentin. Josette's music begins to play.  Kitty goes to look at the portrait on the wall, wondering--why was I looking for a man I only met once--a dead man?  He touches her shoulders; she spots Petofi's ring. Have you always worn it? she asks. No, he says. Good, if you had, I surely would have thought I was losing my mind, she says. Quentin gazes at the ring and asks why. My husband, she says, wore one very much like it, once--exactly the same! Can't be, objects Quentin. No, of course not, she agrees, calmer, that wouldn't be possible. Quentin asks, do you happen to know Count Petofi? She repeats the name and says no--why? I just thought you might have met him, he says. I'd remember, Quentin, I never forget names, she says--never!  He looks at her, surprised by her vehemence.

Old Mill - Petofi tells Beth, it's good you're here--tonight, you'll see things you'll never forget--I must go meditate until our visitor comes--every moment is too precious to waste. He goes into the other room, leaving Beth and Aristede alone. She asks what's happening.  Aristede, looking peacock-proud, refuses to tell her. What am I about to see? she presses. Something that should amuse you very much--it concerns Quentin Collins, says Aristede. She smiles evilly--what's going to happen to Quentin? she asks.  Take my advice, says Aristede--don't ask!
I want to know, insists Beth--won't I enjoy it more if I know what will happen? If His Excellency would have wanted you to know, he'd have told you himself, boasts Aristede--"Not ME!" She gives him a dirty look.  (They remind me of squabbling siblings.) Petofi sits in a chair in the room that once held Barnabas prisoner, only a lamp inside. Aristede enters, kneels, and asks is it a good idea to have Beth here?--she once loved Quentin very much. Bring her in, orders Petofi. Aristede does so. Petofi orders Aristede to leave; the latter isn't thrilled.  Petofi asks Beth a most important question--how do you feel about Quentin, exactly. "I hate him," she says. You don't care what happens to him? asks Petofi.  No, he's going to marry Angelique, she says. You can stand by and watch whatever I think necessary to happen? asks Petofi. Yes, she assures him. And in the morning, you will be very happy, for you will be revenged, he says. Aristede enters. "He is here?" asks Petofi. Aristede nods. Remain in the room, orders Petofi, and both be very quiet--"You know what the word is, Aristede, and what you are to do?" Yes, says Aristede. Good, says Petofi. Good luck, says Aristede.  I don't believe in it, says Petofi--it's a poor substitute for will. Aristede smiles at Petofi, then swings the triumphant grin around to Beth.

Petofi takes a book and sits down in a chair, pretending to read when Quentin comes in. I didn't expect to see you again tonight, says the Count--come down, my dear boy, how clairvoyant you are, I was just wanting some company. Why did you gave me the ring? asks Quentin. A present, answers Petofi. Quentin won't accept that. You admired it, says Petofi. That's no reason to give it to me, says Q. Why are you so upset? asks Petofi. I can't get it off my finger! says Quentin.  That's a sign you should keep it, asserts Petofi. I don't want it, says Q. There are times one should simply sit back and let life happen, advises Petofi. This isn't one of them, shoots back Quentin. I think it is, says Petofi. Tonight, says Q, Lady Hampshire--do you know her? Petofi thinks it over.  Don't lie to me, warns Quentin--she already has, claiming not to know you--she was lying, I know it--I wonder WHY I know it, that's what's so puzzling--from the moment she said she didn't, I knew as well as I knew my own name she was lying--but why?
Petofi laughs, nodding, then says, it was exceptionally bright of you, very intelligent, yes, Quentin, Lady Hampshire and I have met--surely she forgot. No, you know each other very well, says Quentin--am I gaining some second sight? Would you like that? asks Petofi. Quentin asks, is it because of the ring? How suspicious you are! says Petofi.  Yes, agrees Q, I'm becoming suspicious, it's as if I feel I'm about to remember how you and Lady Hampshire knew each other, as if, any moment, I'll know it--"You said once that I would have to pay for the portrait," recalls Quentin. "My portrait. Is this part of the price?" You will never know, Quentin, what you have to pay, says Petofi--you were very careless about that portrait, my boy, very careless indeed--dangerous to lose anything so valuable, if it fell into the hands of an enemy and the moon was full, one slash of a knife across the portrait and you would be as you were--"you should be more careful when you deal with"--and he goes to the door--"the unknown!" The only thing I'm certain of, says Quentin, is that you are the unknown--what do you want from me?  Aristede brings out Quentin's covered portrait, a move Petofi calls clever--you must have known we were talking about this. Petofi shows Quentin the portrait.  Q demands to know, where did you get it? That doesn't matter, says Petofi, I don't want you running in a rage to chase whomever stole it--no, I looked out for you, just relax and don't interfere.  Look at that face, says Quentin, every time I look at it, it looks uglier and harder. It's your imagination, insists Petofi.  Look at the shadow under the eyes, suggests Quentin--it wasn't like that when Tate first painted it. Quentin looks confused, shaky, dazed. What is it? Petofi asks. My eyes, says Quentin, covering them with his hands--"I can't see!" he cries desperately, covering his face with one hand. Petofi grins. Quentin uncovers his face--I can't see. Turn around, orders Petofi--can you see me? Not very clearly, says Q, I can see an outline. You will see, Quentin, says Petofi, close your eyes and when you open them again, you will see as clearly as Quentin Collins ever could--close your eyes! Quentin does as he's told; Petofi touches his eyes with his magic hand. Now, open them, orders Petofi. Quentin is delighted--I can see--how did you do this?--nothing like that ever happened to me!  Don't take it too seriously, says Petofi heartily--that little demonstration was given to show you more of my powers--I advise you to take my advice without argument for once--go back to Collinwood, go to bed, get some rest, you're exhausted, and I need rest--tomorrow morning, everything will be very different--I mean it, it will be!  Why do I believe you? asks Q. Because I'm right, says Petofi--not another word out of you--shall I send Aristede with you--would you like company on your way home? (Like he'd really want Aristede's company!) No, I'd prefer to be alone, says Quentin. Yes, I understands, says Petofi.  Tomorrow, says Q, we will meet again, to get everything clear as to exactly what I owe you.  Tomorrow, agrees Petofi, if you still want to talk, we will. We will, I mean it, says Q. Tell me tomorrow, reiterates Petofi. Quentin goes upstairs.  Petofi calls for Aristede and says, it's going brilliantly, far more brilliantly than I dared to imagine--nothing can stop it now--NOTHING!

Kitty, book in hand, closes the window in the drawing room, then puts down the book. Quentin returns. Join me in a drink? she asks--I'm being very forward she is, but I think it would help me to sleep if I had a brandy. "What are you REALLY doing here?" Quentin asks. She turns to look at him--"I bet your pardon?"  I wonder why I asked that? says Quentin, puzzled, then adds, yes, of course--Gerald Soames died penniless, and you have come here to marry Edward and all of his money!  Kitty is horrified.
Quentin laughs at her.  She smacks him--stop it! she orders. Why did you hit me? he asks--did I say something?--tell me!!   "Quentin, if you don't remember," says Kitty, "neither do I." She leaves him, heading upstairs.

We see Quentin's portrait, which does look dissolute compared to its original, pristine condition. Petofi covers it, with Aristede's help, and says, tonight is the most crucial part of my plan. I don't know what the plan is, says Beth.  You won't, says Petofi--there's no time to explain now, but you will obey me if you understand. Yes, she agrees. I'll go into that room, Petofi says, the door will be closed, neither of you will enter--that's an order--what I must do here, I must do alone. You won't he disturbed, Aristede assures him. Neither of you will sleep tonight, instructs Petofi--if anyone comes to see me, including Quentin himself, he will not be allowed to disturb me.  Aristede and Beth agree--we understand.
"When we meet again," says Petofi, "everything will be different--VERY different!" He enters the room, closing the door. Beth looks at a smiling Aristede, who says I'll be upstairs at the door--you can bring me some coffee.

Petofi sits in the chair and intones, "Quentin Collins, you must bend your will to mine, and there shall be no resistance, because I am the fire, the air, the water and the earth, I am the powers of all the stars! You will hear the rustling of leaves in a thousand trees, telling you the wind of change is upon you--so it is, and so it shall be, forevermore!"

NOTES (include spoilers): Loved the scene between Quentin and Kitty, where he becomes "inhabited" by Petofi, says something that horrifies her and she smacks him.  Quentin returns and doesn't understand it--what a well-acted scene!

Those of us who have seen this before know that Petofi is about to do a mind exchange with Quentin, which is why he had those weird flashes when he was with Kitty, and why he knew her real motive for coming to Collinwood and that she lied about not knowing Petofi.

Fasten your seatbelts, my friends, it's going to get quite weird!

855 - Quentin looks out the drawing room window forlornly, his hand on the window pane.

Aristede looks at the door behind which Petofi meditates and tells Beth, sit down and relax--we can't leave the door unguarded--it could take Petofi all night.  How will we know it's over? asks Beth.  You aren't getting impatient, are you? demands Aristede. No, she replies. Sit down and relax; when it's over, you'll know it, he shouts. Beth sits, her back very straight. Inside the room, Petofi sits, too, his eyes huge behind his glasses, his mouth hanging open slightly.
Quentin's eyes are oversized orbs, too--he remembers it all began when Petofi put him to sleep--he awakened wearing the ring--why did he put it on me, and why can't I remove it? -it must have something to do with what's happening to me, but what? Quentin's torment is interrupted by a knock at the door. He starts moving toward the doors, but stops, leaning against the doorframe weakly, then continues on. It's Magda. Stay away from me? he orders, almost hysterically--I know what you want, but you won't get it--"It's mine and going to stay mine!"  Sympathetically, she asks, tell Magda what's wrong. He looks at her, now out of his trance. When did you come in? he asks.  She's puzzled--just a moment ago, you let me in, don't you remember?  No, says Q. "What happened?" she asks. I don't know, he says. When you let me in, says Magda, you looked scared--why? He presses his hand against his forehead--no use asking questions, he says, ...“cause I don't know the answers. Magda notices Petofi's ring on his finger and is immediately concerned--it belongs to Petofi, she says, how did you get it? Leave me alone! shouts Quentin. He's trying to use you, says Magda, take it off! I tried, says Quentin, it won't come off--he's too powerful for us, no one can do anything to fight him. He leaves the house. Magda is very worried.

Aristede listens at the door. Beth asks, can you hear anything? No, he says, lighting a cheroot in a candle. What exactly is Petofi doing in there? she asks. He petulantly says, you haven't been with him long enough to be taken into his confidence, especially in a matter this vital. Why is this so vital? she asks. You'll find out before this night is over, promises Aristede. Is Quentin going to die? Beth asks.  Aristede laughs--no, he says--but before this night is over, he just might wish he had died--do I detect a note of concern for Quentin?
Of course not, she says, I pledged my loyalty to Petofi and believe I deserve to know what is going to happen. I'll give you one small clue, he says, then you can figure it out--I suggest you give your imagination free reign--try to see a man experiencing something far worse than death, try and think of the most diabolical, the most terrifying thing that can happen to a human being, and that's what will happen to Quentin tonight--that's all I'll reveal; it's up to you now.  Her face remains stoic. Are you sure you aren't suffering from some small concern for Quentin? asks Aristede.  I feel no concern whatsoever, she says defiantly. Aristede takes a puff of his cheroot as Beth returns to her chair.

Blue Whale - Charity, alone, sings "I Wanna Dance For You" as she drinks, standing next to the piano. She wears black and pink, a fairly fetching dress. She pours another drink. Quentin knocks at the door.  What's this? she asks, and lets him in. He already seems drunk. Quentin Collins, of all people, she chirps--what brings you here at this late hour? He's stunned, wondering, how did I get here? The place is closed, she says, your timing's bloody awful. Let me stay for a few minutes, he begs. Why should I, the way you treated me? she demands.  I need help, he says, dazed.
Oh, says Charity mockingly--you need help, you haven't changed a bit--you were like this the last time I saw you--you knew where Barnabas was, knew it all along, didn't you? Quentin walks away from her. When the time came to destroy him, YOU couldn't do it, I had to, and I haven't forgotten that! "I don't want to talk about Barnabas!" screams Q, taking down a chair from a table and sitting down. He covers his face with his hands--"I'm just trying to understand what's happening to me!" Charity flirtatiously asks him, "Like what? Could it be you come here to see me, after all?" She takes his hands in hers. Yes, he says, I guess it could. She's pleased--why didn't you say so when you walked in?--I'm not one to harbor a grudge, especially against you.  She touches his face longingly--we don't have to stay here, Luv, she says seductively, I've got my own place now, and we...  No, I want to stay and talk, he says. (a first!)  Talk? she asks, laughing--the night wasn't made for talking, Luv. This one was, he says, pressing his fists to his mouth. She asks if everything is all right. I don't know, I can't explain it, I only know that...they frighten me, he says. Who are you talking about? she asks.  My head--I can't think straight! he says.  Could you have taken a bad fall? she asks.  No, he cries, clutching his head. You poor Luv! she cries, caressing his hair. He presses his head into her bosom. "You need a little tender loving care," says Charity--and you came to the right place, you've been living in that house with all those barmy relatives of yours--that's no place for the likes of you and me. Q agrees--I can't go back there. Now you're talking, she says excitedly--stay right here with me, and you'll be chipper in no time at all! He doesn't answer. You do so need to be cheered, she says--I'll go fix you a drink, and you can sit back, relax, and let me entertain you. Quentin, hair all mussed, doesn't look well at all.

Mill - We see Petofi--enormous eyes, his fishlike mouth, deep in his trance...  Aristede smokes, Beth sits, both of them waiting. Annoyed, she asks, why do you keep watching me?  I was wondering what you're thinking about, he says. Nothing, she says, nothing at all. Are you sure you aren't wondering what will happen to Quentin? he asks. Quentin deserves whatever is going to happen, says Beth defiantly. To us, she appears uncertain, hearing in her mind Quentin saying how sorry he was--I wanted to tell you, couldn't find the strength to risk hurting you, I know you can't understand, I still love you, but I have no choice. Still love you, love you, love you, echoes in Her mind.  Her face fades, juxtaposing with Quentin's at the Blue Whale as he listens to Charity singing, "I'm Gonna Dance For You." She swings and sways, trailing her boa over him, but he doesn't even smile. He seems like a man in a trance, then suddenly beings to laugh. "Summon the innkeeper!" he shouts, happy and raucous. "Tell him to keep the wine flowing, and you my beautiful, exquisite creature, let me look at you!" He lifts her high in the air as she squeals, kissing her wildly, twirling her around. She's left breathless.  He offers to play her a tune, sit down at the piano and begins to play her theme song. She hums along, delighted. Quentin sways to the music, lavishly playing the tune. Charity comes over and presses her face to his. "I didn't know you could play the piano, Quentin," she says, smiling gleefully.  Quentin asks, "The piano? You know, my dear, many long years ago, I used to play it quite brilliantly--until THEY came. Until they came!"  And, abruptly crazed, he slams the piano shut, covering his face. Play me a song, she asks him. Play? he repeats--what are you talking about, I never played the piano in my life! I just heard you, Luv, she says, you were playing beautifully. "I was?" he asks. Yes, she says--you said you hadn't played for a long time, but don't believe that. I said that? he asks, confused. You do remember? she asks. No, he says. She kneels and caresses his hair--maybe you don't need the kind of looking after that I thought you did, after all, maybe you need a doctor. No, a doctor won't help me, no one will, he says, and leaves the Blue Whale.  Charity gazes at the closed piano.

Quentin, in a horrible state, returns to Collinwood. He shakes his head, goes to pour a drink. He sways and tips into a chair, lowering his head to the arm, closing his eyes. The ring on his finger glitters.

Petofi sits in his chair. Beth and Aristede wait. Beth paces the room, looking thoughtful. Aristede realizes someone is upstairs. He tells Beth, go upstairs and get rid of whoever it is--hurry! It's Magda, trying to get through the door, which is locked. Beth opens it--why did you come here? she asks.  What are YOU doing in this place? demands Magda.  I'm not obligated to answer that, replies Beth. Are you mixed up with Petofi? asks Magda.  I'm working for him, says Beth. "You're crazy," says Magda. Go away and stay away, orders Beth. I must speak to Petofi, insists Magda. He's busy, relays Beth--and for your own sake, I suggest you go. Magda sighs--it has something to do with Quentin, she says--I saw him before, something scary happened to him--I've got to speak to Petofi. Nervously, Beth says, I have strict orders not to let anyone in--please go away. I know Quentin doesn't mean anything to you anymore, says Magda, but he is in danger, she warns, doesn't that mean something?  "Good night, Magda," says Beth, and goes back into the mill, closing the door.

Petofi sits, still deeply meditating. Beth, back at her post, again remembers Quentin saying, I love you. Then she recalls Aristede asking her to think of the most diabolical thing that can happen to any human being--and then you'll know what will happen to Quentin. Next she hears Magda talking about how Quentin doesn't mean anything to you anymore, but he's in danger. . .the three voices whirl around and around in Beth's mind, and her eyes widen with fear. "Still love you," "danger," "most diabolical"...  Beth suddenly screams.  Be quiet! Aristede reminds her.  She covers her face with her hands, wailing, "No, I can't let you do anything to him, he does mean something to me, I still love him, and you can't take him from me!" She races out of the mill, Aristede calling, you can't go to him, you'll ruin everything. She races to Collinwood, finding Quentin asleep in a chair. She kneels and breathlessly says, "You must wake up, Quentin, listen to me, they're trying to do something dreadful to you, and I don't know what it is, but you must wake up before it happens, before it's too late!"
She shakes him, trying to rouse him, but he seems to be in a deep sleep from which he cannot be awakened.

NOTES: What a great episode. Petofi sits there looking like a creepy fish, working on his mind switch. The scene with Charity at the Blue Whale was so touching; it's clear she really cares for him, and adorable how she tried to "entertain" him out of his problems. When he played the piano, then exultantly lifted her into the air and kissed her, you felt her elation--and puzzlement. We knew Beth would crack, you can't turn love on and off that easily, and hate and love supposedly share opposite sides of the same coin. The question is, has Beth arrived in time to prevent what's about to happen--or not? Great seeing Magda again. Funny, too, how she, who once put a terrible curse on Quentin, is now one of his staunchest supporters. She went to Petofi to try and stop him, which was very brave, considering how much she fears him.

[spoiler]And isn't it cool how enthusiastically Petofi, in Quentin's body, kisses Charity? The man is a lech, obviously, and he's going to really appreciate the beautiful ladies at Collinwood once he has secured the kind of body the women will want. It might prove to be his undoing...[/spoiler]

Love, Robin