Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #91  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
Re:ShadowGram Update #91
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2003, 07:46:30 PM »
Please, somebody, tell me I didn't read that, it was just a bad dream ...

Invasion of the Bobbleheads!![/b]

No, Vlad, bobbleheads are only found in parallel time, so you can relax now.   ;D

My question is, do these heads really "bobble"?  Or are they just oversized like some actors' egos?  (Ahem, I won't say who!)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2003, 08:00:45 PM »
I think I must have been frightened by a bobble-head when I was a small child... (perhaps around the same time as the infamous avatar incident) because the idea strikes me as grotesque.  Hasn't DC wrung enough cash out of Dark Shadows YET?

I would LOVE to hear Jonathan Frid's take on being made into a bobble-head!  ::)

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2003, 08:34:28 PM »
I think I must have been frightened by a bobble-head when I was a small child...
Maybe you were frightened by that Twilight Zone with a very young Billy Mumy (later Will Robinson of Lost in Space) - playing a demonic brat  [evild] that made David Collins look like an amateur.  Toward the end he turns this guy into a Jack-in-the-Box toy and the head bobbles around grotesquely. "He's a bad man, he's a really bad man!" - one of the classics later re-told in the '80's movie (BTW: Mumy was in that one too, but only did a cameo.)
I would LOVE to hear Jonathan Frid's take on being made into a bobble-head!  ::)
OMG! THAT would be rich!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2003, 09:13:41 PM »
Toward the end he turns this guy into a Jack-in-the-Box toy and the head bobbles around grotesquely.

One interesting thing about that scene is that what happens to the man in the original short story is far, far grislier, and impossible to film!   Nevertheless, Mumy's chilling portrayal of evil incarnate makes this one of TZ's most chilling and memorable episodes.   
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2003, 09:16:12 PM »
Maybe you were frightened by that Twilight Zone with a very young Billy Mumy

THAT'S IT!!!  THAT's what I'm thinking of!!!  The poor man who ended up in the Jack-In-The-Box!!

By the way, the NEW Twilight Zone series just did an episode where Billy Mumy plays that little boy all grown up...with a kid of his own....or something like that.  I certainly didn't watch it!!!  :o

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2003, 09:51:58 PM »
I think I must have been frightened by a bobble-head when I was a small child... (perhaps around the same time as the infamous avatar incident) because the idea strikes me as grotesque.  Hasn't DC wrung enough cash out of Dark Shadows YET?

rainey
OH rainey you'd love one of willie bouncing around on your dashboard! ;D

jennifer
karlen was on an old Mike Hammer movie today on Mystery Channel one of the advantages
of being home sick is watching all the old tv
shows seeing DS friends is really great!(for those of us who refuse to wacch the news these days!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2003, 10:19:17 PM »
OH rainey you'd love one of willie bouncing around on your dashboard! ;D

Now make that Willie himself, bouncing around the back of my van....and you've got a DEAL!!  [smrtasb]

(for those of us who refuse to wacch the news these days!)

Please....I've watched nothing but House and Garden TV for DAYS!!....wait'll my husband comes home and sees what I've done to the living room!   [argue]

rainey
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2003, 05:18:48 PM »
By the way, the NEW Twilight Zone series just did an episode where Billy Mumy plays that little boy all grown up...with a kid of his own....or something like that.  I certainly didn't watch it!!!  :o
Oh, I would really LOVE to see that one! I always liked him. I wonder if his son Seth played the kid role.  Was this show on SciFi?
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2003, 06:33:15 PM »
My question is, do these heads really "bobble"?  Or are they just oversized like some actors' egos?  (Ahem, I won't say who!)

LOL!

I confess.... I think the prototype Barnabas bobblehead is kinda cute, unlike the old "Groovy Horror Heads", brrr!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2003, 06:39:02 PM »
Oh, I would really LOVE to see that one! I always liked him. I wonder if his son Seth played the kid role.  Was this show on SciFi?

I saw it, CastleBee.  It was shown on UPN and the kid was his daughter (not sure if she's actually Bill Mumy's but she looked like him).  Sadly, it wasn't a very good episode.  :'(
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2003, 06:42:05 PM »

If not Sci Fi, then FX (I'm watching "Buffy" re-runs when I can't take any more HGTV....ANYTHING but the news  ::) )...and I'm pretty sure the child was a little girl.

Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2003, 06:45:34 PM »
I saw it, CastleBee.  It was shown on UPN and the kid was his daughter (not sure if she's actually Bill Mumy's but she looked like him).  Sadly, it wasn't a very good episode.  :'(

It was Mumy's daughter Liliana.  Cloris Leachman played his mom again, too.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2003, 12:48:38 AM »
I wasn't aware of it until recently (I'm waaaay out of the loop on things like this), but apparently there's a bobblehead of just about any and everything that has ever been on television

I didn't know that -- I was barely aware of what these things are as it was.

or, for that matter, a replica of a music box that looks like a plastic cup and now sells for over $100

Make that $150.

Wish you hadn't described it as a "plastic cup," Castlebee dear ... now that's probably the cold reality of what I'll see whenever I look at mine ...

>:(

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2003, 03:56:35 AM »
Sounds good to me - it's cool having any merchandise from MPI that isn't a red logo pasted on any random black item it happens to fit on...

Can't be any more horrifying than the gargantuan Barnabas boxer shorts from a few years back... ;)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2003, 04:07:32 AM »
Can't be any more horrifying than the gargantuan Barnabas boxer shorts from a few years back... ;)

I don't know....boxer shorts just seem kind of....silly.

Bobble-heads, on the other hand, have a sort of....demonic.....quality to them, don'tcha think?   [liteye]
Dylan Thomas