Author Topic: KARLENZINE VI  (Read 831 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
KARLENZINE VI
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
KarlenZine VI is here!
>
> Hey, everyone! After much toil and hardship (yeah, right—well, much toil at least), I've finally gotten this volume together. Size-wise, it's about the same as the last three. It contains the last of the Gina Lee series by the late N.J. Nidiffer and two stories in a new series that she wrote back in 2000 and 2004, to which I've added one of my own. Cherie Groves and Janet Carlson have provided some of their terrific artwork and a couple stories each. Besides a lot of stories, there are poems by E. DeJesus and Cherie.
> Most of the writing in the zine was done back before KZ V was published, and the plan to publish them at the same time just didn't happen because of the high volume. It's taken me several years to get back the interest, then make the push to finish. In doing so, I found my writing voice again. (And I have to thank both Cherie and Janet for their contribution to my inspiration returning.)
> As in a lot of things, timing can be weird, and the day before taking the master to the printer, I heard about Jonathan Frid's passing. It took me all day to absorb this, and the sadness I've felt ever since has dampened my joy/relief over finishing this project. Nonetheless, it's done and I hope for those of you who buy it, there will be many hours of enjoyment.
> KarlenZine VI
> $28 postage included.
> Checkout my website (Willie Loomis Tribute Page ) for other details and a peak at the cover. Please email me off list for details about ordering.
> ——————
> Also, I'm starting work on getting my DS universe sequel ready for printing, though it will be a while as the fund is currently empty from paying to have KZ VI printed. It's long (238,400 words), so it's going to be another big book. It ties in all the stories I've written that are related to each other, i.e. Summer's Son, "Long Winter....", "Spring", etc. There will be a list of included stories in the book and where they may be found.
> Summer picks up at the end of "Spring" (how predictable!) and takes Willie on an emotional and difficult journey both inside himself and across the country, where he discovers his roots and finds out what is most important to him.
> All my DS universe loose ends and some of the show's are tied up in this book, and I hope it will be a satisfying conclusion to the series. I need to gauge interest to help me figure out how many to print when the time comes. I'm sure the price will be mid-20s, but that will depend on print run.
> Please email me off list if you are interested in buying one of these when they're ready, so I can get a rough idea of the quantity I need. Thanks!
> —Mary
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: KARLENZINE VI
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:28:17 AM »
Congrats, Janet!  I always wished I could get involved in fanzines.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
Congratulations!  I remember hearing of Karlenzine back when I first learned of fandom in the late 1980s.  It's very special that Mary has published a new issue.  Long may she sail!

Interestingly I just saw a fun Karlen cameo--it almost had the flavor of "Karlen does Columbo" (well, he did have the raincoat)--he played a baffled police detective in a Lela Swift production of the mid 1970s, The Cloning of Clifford Swimmer, which was recently shown on the "Fox" "movie" "channel."  The play was originally produced for the ABC Wide World of Mystery series.  Karlen's scene lasted perhaps five minutes, but he was great as always.

G.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »
Interestingly I just saw a fun Karlen cameo--it almost had the flavor of "Karlen does Columbo" (well, he did have the raincoat)--he played a baffled police detective in a Lela Swift production of the mid 1970s, The Cloning of Clifford Swimmer, which was recently shown on the "Fox" "movie" "channel."  The play was originally produced for the ABC Wide World of Mystery series.  Karlen's scene lasted perhaps five minutes, but he was great as always.

I did not know about that credit!  [ghost_shocked] And I've been collecting John's movie/tv appearances for years, now. Thanks for the tip!  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
Congrats  Janet  !  Never heard  of that before.   
                   Take  Care  Love  Anne [ghost_smiley] :) :)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
Thrilled to hear that fanzines are still being published. Much success with it!
Fade Away and Radiate