Author Topic: OT: Night Stalker question  (Read 1720 times)

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
OT: Night Stalker question
« on: March 14, 2003, 04:37:50 PM »
Does anyone know who currently owns the rights to the Night Stalker/Night Strangler movies and the Kolchak tv series?  I sent a message to Anchor Bay asking if they were planning to re-release the now out-of-print movie DVD and/or release the tv series on DVD.  I received a reply message informing me that they no longer owned the rights.

Anyone know if there are any future plans for Kolchak-y releases?  Thanks...

Joe

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT: Night Stalker question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 02:14:34 AM »
MGM just bought the license to the two TV movies which they'll be releasing on DVD this year or next.

Universal owns the rights to the series (which Dan Curtis had no involvement with) and currently has no plans to release it on DVD.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 06:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.  The Anchor Bay DVD has become almost impossible to find now... a seller briefly offered some copies on Amazon last week, and I jumped on it... just hope I don't get a "sorry, we're really out of stock" type message!

Another Anchor Bay DVD release, Daughters of Darkness with John Karlen, has also gone the way of the pterodactyl... luckily I bought that one about a year ago, before the title disappeared.  I noticed the other day that someone was trying to sell a USED copy of the DVD on Amazon for $99 (!!!!)....  it's a great DVD with pretty cool commentary from Karlen, but a hundred bucks?!

Too bad some of the coolest stuff is the most underappreciated.

Thanks again, Darren.  You are an awesome source of information and your efforts around NoDS and HoDS are truly admirable!     :)

Joe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 07:39:07 PM »
Another Anchor Bay DVD release, Daughters of Darkness with John Karlen, has also gone the way of the pterodactyl... luckily I bought that one about a year ago, before the title disappeared.  I noticed the other day that someone was trying to sell a USED copy of the DVD on Amazon for $99 (!!!!)....  it's a great DVD with pretty cool commentary from Karlen, but a hundred bucks?!

Oh, I think the audio track of Johnny K's comments is worth considerably more than $100.  I never laughed so hard in my life!  [lghy]

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 03:46:49 AM »
MGM just bought the license to the two TV movies which they'll be releasing on DVD this year or next.

Hi, Darren.  Do you know why MGM bought the rights?  Does this mean some sort of special edition of each film (NOT! considering MGM's previous releases of Midnight Movies and such classics as MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE)?  Or does this mean we can soon expect to see BURNT OFFERINGS, HODS and NODS on DVD?  (I know you probably don't know for sure, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

Brian

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 07:34:51 AM »
MGM licensed a whole package of films that Disney owns, which includes several ABC titles. Most, if not all of these were released by Anchor Bay a few years ago.

The night stalker movies aren't currently on the schedule for this year but should be next year or beyond.

As for BURNT OFFERINGS, yes that will be released in August.

Click here for the scoop, courtesy of Stuart Manning's site.

http://www.collinwood.net/news/

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 04:00:35 PM »

As for BURNT OFFERINGS, yes that will be released in August.

Speaking of Burnt Offerings....The Vista Theater in L.A. (home of the 30th ann. cement ceromonies for both House and Night of Dark Shadows, and most recently seen by many here in the new Batman movie) is considering showing the movie in conjunction with the release of the DVD this summer.  If and when more info becomes available to me  I will post it.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2003, 08:04:02 PM »
Another Anchor Bay DVD release, Daughters of Darkness with John Karlen, has also gone the way of the pterodactyl... luckily I bought that one about a year ago, before the title disappeared.  I noticed the other day that someone was trying to sell a USED copy of the DVD on Amazon for $99 (!!!!)....  it's a great DVD with pretty cool commentary from Karlen, but a hundred bucks?!   Joe
After seeing this message, Joe, I went on ebay and finally managed to outbid a Daughter's of Darkness DVD for $31. I lost two others and they were sold for well under $50.  Without your tip, I probably never would have gotten around to buying it. Anxious to hear JK's comments now. Thanx.

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2003, 08:32:27 PM »
After seeing this message, Joe, I went on ebay and finally managed to outbid a Daughter's of Darkness DVD for $31.

Woo hoo, congratulations!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 01:52:52 AM »
As for BURNT OFFERINGS, yes that will be released in August.  Click here for the scoop, courtesy of Stuart Manning's site.

Thanks for the link, Darren.  And how great to read that you moderated the commentary!!  (But it was too modest of you not tell us about that in the post!)

Brian

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 02:26:37 AM »
Blue Underground is planning on re-releasing DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS from their label complete with the Karlen commentary and probably a trailer and some other stuff.

I think the new transfer will be 16x9 as well, so it should be worth the upgrade.

D