Author Topic: Robservations 3/11/03 - #846/847 - Charity's Deed Spreads to All  (Read 1304 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
846 - Charity, a tear glittering in her eye, looking dazed, sits in the Blue Whale.  Tim Shaw is there, remarking, you're up early.  I haven't been to bed, she says.  The tear slides down her cheek.  "I done it," she says, and slams her hand on the table--I want a drink!  It's not open, says Tim.  I'll help myself, then, she says.  Get some sleep instead, he advises, you can't carry the party on indefinitely.  Party? She asks, giggling madly--it weren't no party, Luv, believe me!  She pours a drink.  Tim, listening to her insane cackling, takes it away, advising her not to have it.  She continues laughing.  What's wrong with you? he asks--be sensible, what's wrong with you? Nothing's the matter, she says--my Carl, who loved me so, can rest--"It was terrible, the blood!--the blood!  I put the stake over his heart. . ."  "What?" demands Tim.  "I brought the mallet down," she continues--"He screamed!"  Who? Demands Tim.  "The vampire," says Charity.  "I've just killed Barnabas Collins!"  And she sinks into the stunned Tim's arms.

Tim helps Charity drink her drink.  She chokes--I did it for my Carl, she murmurs.  Where did you find Barnabas' coffin? asks Tim.  I found it, she says.  How, he asks, the Collinses have been searching, Petofi, Trask...are you making it up?  No, she insists, I don't think the Collinses wanted to find him, after all--Quentin didn't, I know that--I followed him there, he couldn't do it!--I saw the stake hammer lying on the ground...  She bursts into tears, her head falling into the circle of her arms on the table.  Does anyone else know about this? demands Tim.  No, she says, sobbing.  Did Quentin see you? asks Tim--good, Edward will be very grateful to you.  I don't care, she sobs.  Don't be foolish, he says, you can demand a big reward for what you did.  I don't want one! blares Charity.  I want us to go speak to Edward, he says.  I don't want to go there! Insists Charity  Yes you are, he says, just decide what you want--you've done that family the biggest favor they've ever had.  She gets hysterical--"I don't care!" she shrieks.  Tim grabs her and says, you've got to care--we'll go straight to Edward.  I want to forget, that's all, she cries, just forget.  You can't, says Tim, not this, and no one else is going to forget it, either.

Kitty is looking into her fire, and smiles when Edward knocks at her door.  She checks her appearance, puts on perfume (she looks delicious) and says, "Come in!" in a very fake happy voice.  KITTY! he cries, delighted.  He takes her hands, delighted to see her.  She's smiling, running to him.  I was astonished when a maid told me you were here, he says--but where is Gerald?  Her smile fades--you haven't heard?--I should have cabled, everything happened so suddenly--Gerald is dead.  Not possible, says Edward, calling her "poor dear", trying to take her into his arms.  She doesn't allow that, and says, "No, Edward, please don't feel sorry for me, I'm determined not to feel sorry for myself."  What was the cause? asks Edward.  He didn't feel right, says Kitty, I should have known, I blame myself, no sense of pretending, since you and Gerald were so close, but in truth, Gerald killed himself.  Oh no, why? asks Edward--business reverses?--you and he were so happy together!  Yes, agrees Kitty, thank you for remembering that.  She begins to cry.  He takes her into his arms, soothing her.  I'll never forget Gerald, she murmurs.  You were wise to get away, he says--a visit here will give you proper perspective again.  I'm never returning to England, she says, even though I was happy there, from the first moment my carriage passed through the gates of Hampshire House
--I was so frightened before then, rhapsodizes Kitty, not knowing what the children would be like or what these English strangers would expect from an American governess, but the moment I saw that house, I knew it would be all right.  And it was, says Edward.  And I felt the same way last night when I saw THIS house, says Kitty--oh, Edward, do you mind my being here?  I was touched and flattered that you came here, he says, holding her hand against his chest--I want you to stay as long as you like--if Judith were well, I know she would insist upon it--you will be an adornment to Collinwood.  She gazes at him as if she'd like to kiss him, but he looks uncomfortable.  I brought you something, she says, knowing Gerald would have wanted you to have it, since you admired it since having dinner at the Admiralty.  Edward opens the box--his emerald (cuff)links, he says, overwhelmed--I couldn't.  You must, she says, it will help you to remember when Gerald was happy.  You'll be happy again, Edward assures her.  Yes, says Kitty, perhaps I will be in this new life I'm starting.  "This new life you're starting...with us," says Edward, intimately touching her hand as she closes the box containing her dead husband's cufflinks.  (Can you say golddigger, boys and girls?  Is she the biggest phony you've ever seen or what?)

Collinwood foyer - Charity tells Tim, this is none of your business.  You never know when something is becoming my business, says Tim.  You got me here, says Charity, but don't go trying any of your fancy tricks on me--I want nothing from them and there's nothing that can change the way I feel about it!  Edward comes downstairs and greets them--I'm busy, he says, tell me what it's all about.  We have news of great interest, reveals Tim.  I doubt that, says Edward.  For once, you're wrong, says Tim.  What is it? asks Edward.  "Barnabas Collins is dead," reveals Tim, to Edward's shock.

Drawing room - So, says Charity, now you know the whole story, and I can go.  Tim tries to stop her.  Edward says, if I couldn't deal with the vampire, I doubt you could--I suspect it's another of your lies.  "Don't believe me then, Luv, it don't matter a wit to me," she says.  I don't know your connection with this, Mr. Shaw, but I suspect you're taking advantage of an unfortunate creature.  Charity takes offense to this--you don't know the truth when you hear it.  You had best listen to her, advises Tim.  I already have, says Edward, then turns to Charity and says, I don't know what will happen to you, but you must stop this scurrilous story!  Go and see for yourself, she advises--go on, Mr. Collins, or don't you care, either, grand Mr. Collins?--maybe you've been protecting the vampire, too!  No, says Edward, I wanted to be rid of the vampire, too.  Let's go to the cave, suggests Tim, we'll find out easily that way.  Edward agrees, but says, you will both stay here--I'm going alone.  I'm in on this, says Tim and want to come along.  Edward agrees, but orders Charity to stay--I'll want to speak to you when we return, whatever we find.  Tim and Edward go.  Angry, Charity thinks about how they're always ordering me around, treating me like a servant or something--what will happen when Quentin hears I killed Barnabas?--why did he lie to me and say he didn't know where the vampire was?  Kitty comes in and introduces herself to a suspicious Charity as Lady Hampshire.  "LADY Hampshire, oh la di da!" cries Charity mockingly.  I was looking for Edward, says Kitty.  He ain't here, answers Charity.  Did he say where he was going? asks Kitty.  Did he ever, laughs Charity, but he wouldn't want you to know, since you aren't a member of the family.  Kitty haughtily says, I'm a guest here.  "I was almost a Collins," says Charity--"I'd have been mistress of this house if my Carl hadn't died.  Carl was the nicest one," she confides.  "I'm Pansy Faye!"  I'm pleased to meet you, lies Kitty--if you'll excuse me.  Charity hesitantly asks, could you stay and keep me company--I'm kind of nervous, with everything happening...  What is happening? demands Kitty.  Never mind, says Charity, they'll let you know if they want to--but listen, if this house ever gets to be too much for you, get Quentin or somebody to bring you down to the Blue Whale--you can watch my act, I sing, and I see things, too, sometimes, I'm a mentalist!" Most fascinating, remarks Kitty, insincerely.  I got powers, says Charity, I didn't used to, but I do now--I know things about people they don't even know themselves--I know things about you, says Charity.  This unnerves Kitty, who asks, what do you know about me?  "Do you hear that?" asks Charity.  Kitty hears nothing.  Then Charity begins humming Josette's theme.  Kitty listens, bored, as Charity finishes the music box theme.  I don't know that song, says Kitty.  "You will," predicts Charity.  "I can see it...where the music box is coming from!"  (We see Josette's music box appear between Charity's eyes).  An old music box, says Charity.  Kitty, annoyed says, I've never had a music box, and probably never will.
We see the music box open in Charity's vision, then disappear.  Destroy the music box, orders Charity.  Kitty insists, I don't have one.  You will! cries Charity--destroy it as soon as you get it--keep it and it will mean your death--remember that.  Kitty just looks in astonishment at the babbling Charity.

Tim and Edward go to the cave.  "To think that his life would end here," comments Edward regretfully, "in a dismal cave."  He opens the coffin and looks inside, then closes it again.  "Barnabas Collins is dead--may he rest in peace," says Edward--the coffin must be chained, the cave sealed, insists Edward--he must remain here forever.  He and Tim leave the cave.

Remember the tune, Charity urges Kitty, and hums it again.  Kitty furiously says, I've heard quite enough! and runs from her, upstairs.  Charity comes after her, warning, this house holds danger for you, dangers you don't know about--you'll see.  Leave! demands Kitty.  Edward and Tim return.  Charity smugly asks, what did you find out?  Take her to the drawing room, Edward orders Tim.  Charity finds this insulting--like I'm a bloody package!  Tim closes the double doors behind him.  I'm sorry Charity upset you, says Edward to Kitty.  "She's mad, isn't she?" asks Kitty.  Yes, but someone must deal with her, says Edward--I'm entranced by you, he says--let's have a special dinner tonight, just the two of us--I was wrong when I said life is starting over for you--it's starting over for both of us.  Kitty smiles--her plan is going beautifully!

Edward joins Charity and Tim in the drawing room.  It will be a long time before you call me a liar, won't it? Charity asks Edward.  I'm prepared to admit I was wrong, he says.  Mighty decent of you, she says sarcastically, ain't it, Tim?  You expect a reward, don't you? asks Edward.  It does seem fair, Tim pipes in.  Stay out of this, orders Charity, and speaks directly to Edward--I want no thanks, nothing!  I'd like you to answer one or two questions, says Edward, which might seem strange, about Quentin--you followed him to the cave?  He knew where the vampire was, reveals Charity, I got that feeling, talking to him here, that's why I followed him.  If he knew, why didn't he come to me? wonders Edward--he could have kept it in the family.  You can count on us to keep very quiet, Tim assures him.  Can I indeed? asks Edward.  "She'll keep it quiet," promises Tim, "I'll see to that."  You will, will you? asks Edward--I'm sure of it, and no doubt at a price--what is your price?  Sometime I might want a little favor, says Tim.  I'm prepared to do you a favor right now, says Edward, by taking Miss Trask off your hands.  You may deny being Charity Trask, Edward tells Charity, but I remember the day you came into this house with your father--perhaps it's fortunate he's visiting Judith, he might not agree to what I'm going to say
--"Stay here with us--we can get proper treatment for you."  Proper treatment? demands Charity, insulted--"Who'll get proper treatment in this house?"  There are doctors, he says.  I'm not sick, Guv, she insists.  He asks, do you remember the girl you were when you first came here?  I remember coming here with my Carl, she says, and this house holds no happiness in it, for no one!  We will change all that, says Edward.  It will never happen, she insists--I love my life, singing at the Blue Whale, I ain't about to start sitting around at my age!--if my Carl was still alive...  Miss Trask, says Edward.  She explodes--you are NOT to call me that name, you should call a lady what she chooses, and I choose Pansy Faye!--you got that?  She tells Tim, I want to get back to town.  Tim assures Edward she'll be all right--drop in and see us at the Blue Whale sometime.  I doubt I'll find the time, says Edward, but I'm sure you will find the opportunity to drop in and see me--when you want something.  Tim leaves.

Kitty is in her room, writing a letter to her mother.  She smirks as she reads it--"Edward has been exactly as I expected, hospitable, understanding and very dear.  The house is nearly as grand as Hampshire House, and he's invited me to stay as long as I wish--thank goodness, because I barely have the money to come to you in PA.  Things are looking up now!"  She folds the letter and inserts it into an envelope.  She's affixing the stamp when she spots it--Josette's music box, sitting on a couple of books on her desk.
She remembers Charity's words--an old, old music box--you must destroy it, it will cause your death!  Kitty opens the music box.  Josette's theme trills from it. She listens...

NOTES:  We know what Kitty is really all about, after Edward for money and security.  She's so blatant about it--but Charity's predictions are right on.  She was such a hoot today, although I didn't appreciate her staking our favorite vampire.  Tim continues in his Bad Boy ways, looking for money and favors wherever he can find them.  Edward's apparent regret/sorrow over Barnabas was touching; vampire or not, he was family, and that's important to Edward.  At least he wished him a peaceful rest.  Charity's disgust over what she did was palpable.  Would she want to kill Quentin, too, if she knew of his equally guilty role in Carl's death?

Great episodes, but now we have the Barnabas drought.

847 - Tim paces Petofi's mill, then sits down.  Beth enters.  That's HIS chair, she says--he doesn't like anyone else sitting in it.  Tim sits elsewhere.  Beth says, surely you don't want to displease him.  When he hears what I have to say, predicts Tim, he's going to be quite pleased.  Why? she asks.  Wait and see, advises Tim.  I get the feeling you believe Petofi will be more than grateful, says Beth.  Smiling, Tim remains silent.  Petofi enters and hands Beth his hat.  (shot of Mike R. Phone)  Petofi remarks to Tim, you stop by with disquieting regularity; your persistence is admirable, you impatience annoying--I'll send for you when I have a chance to consider the matter we discussed.  I have news you've been anxious to hear, reveals Tim--Barnabas Collins is dead.  How unfortunate, says Petofi, I must offer my condolences to Dr. Hoffman...

Petofi says, I seem to have disappointed you in some way--did you expect me to bask in the warm glow of gratitude?  You knew Barnabas was dead, accuses Tim--had something to do with it--you're acting much too casual about this.  You thought that bringing me this information would obligate me to you in some way, says Petofi--you are wrong.  Wouldn't you even like to know who was responsible for Barnabas' death? Asks Tim.  It doesn't matter, says Petofi.  Tim spills anyway--Charity Trask.  This seems to surprise the Count.  Remind me to send dear Miss Trask some flowers, Petofi tells Beth, then orders Tim to stick around--I have things to discuss with you when I return.  Petofi leaves.  Tim asks Beth, did the Count have something to do with Barnabas' death?  She looks evasive--I wouldn't know, she says.  What's wrong with you? he asks.  Nothing, she replies.  You're sorry Barnabas is dead? asks Tim.  I have no feelings on the matter, claims Beth, one way or another.  Why do you seem so upset? asks Tim--what was Barnabas to you?  Go sit down and wait, she orders Tim--if you're good and do what Petofi tells you to do, your greed may be rewarded (zing!)

Julia prepares an injection and places it in her doctor's bags.  Someone knocks; she looks concerned.  She opens the doors--Petofi.  You need not be alarmed, he assures her, I have no intention of harming you--I congratulate you on the bravery of Barnabas and the ineptness of Aristede for leaving you alive--but you find yourself in a predicament now; you cannot rely on Barnabas to assist you.  Why not? asks Julia calmly.  Barnabas is dead, replies Petofi.
Julia gasps in shock--I don't believe it, she says, it's one of your tricks!  He offers to show her the proof.  I saw him last night, she wails, beginning to cry, he was with me last night!--did you kill him, or have him killed?  My hands are clean, says Petofi--Barnabas fell victim to the wrath of an outraged woman--Charity Trask drove a stake through his heart--her motive was revenge; Barnabas apparently caused the death of her fiance.  Julia can barely speak--where is the body? She asks.  Edward Collins must know, says Petofi, but I advise you against seeing him--he might ask some very embarrassing questions.  Are you protecting me so that Aristede can have another try at killing me? asks Julia.  I haven't seen him since he botched the first attempt, says Petofi--no, you're alone now, friendless and unprotected in an alien world--you can't stay here long, soon you shall return to the future--when you do, I will be by your side--you'll be under surveillance morning, noon and night--good day to you, Doctor. Julia looks lost and depressed.

So does Quentin, who sits in the drawing room listening to his music.  Amanda, in a stunning yellow gown (she finally got rid of the pink frilly thing), sits beside him and teasingly asks, do you play any other song?  Where were you this morning? He asks, I was looking for you.  I took a walk along the beach, she says.  I would have liked to come with you, he says, his manner more than a bit romantic.  I wanted to be alone, she says, smiling.  Why? he asks.  I just felt that way this morning, she says.  I was thinking about you when you walked in, he says.  I find that a bit disturbing, she says, you listening to that sad music and thinking of me.  Believe me, he says, that music isn't as lovely as you are.  He kisses her, hard, and long, then says, I love you.  She looks suspicious and unhappy, and doesn't respond.  Did you hear me? he asks.  Yes, she says, but we can't have it this way, you don't know enough about me.  (Did she call him Tim?)  I know what I feel--and you feel, he assures her.   We like and enjoy being together, she says, that's the way it should be--a good time and joy of being together, no sadness or regrets.  You don't believe a word you're saying, he says.  Yes, I do, says Amanda--I know what's good for us and what isn't.  Look at me, he says.
She does, finally.  You tell me you don't love me, and never could, he asks--come on, if that's the way you really feel, tell me.  She goes into his arms, wondering, why did I have to meet you now?--why must it be this way?  "I do love you, Quentin, I do," she murmurs.  They kiss, another juicy liplock.  Petofi catches them.  You're a man of endless surprises and impeccable good taste, remarks the Count.  Amanda and Quentin look at him, unsmiling.

Has Edward given you the run of the house, considering you didn't knock? asks Quentin.  It doesn't matter, smiles Petofi, you were far too preoccupied to notice me--it's pleasant to see you, Miss Harris, but I must speak to Quentin alone.  She leaves.  Petofi nods at Quentin, who takes a drink.  She's very beautiful, comments Petofi, but what will you do about your engagement to Angelique?  Quentin hands a drink to Petofi and pours another for himself.  "Break it," says Quentin.  I see, laughs Petofi.  I do admire a man who lives as dangerously as you do--what do you think Angelique's reaction will be?  I don't think she'll be very happy, says Q.  Petofi says, I'd give anything to witness the fury Q you are about to unleash.  What do you want? asks Q.  I congratulates you for a job well and cleverly done, says Petofi.  Q is puzzled.  You disposed of Barnabas Collins, says Petofi--having Charity Trask drive the stake through his heart was a stroke of genius!  Quentin is stunned.  Barnabas is dead? he asks.  Dead and soon to be forgotten, says Petofi.  Charity must have followed me there, says Quentin--I had no idea.  Admit you arranged it all, says Petofi.  I went there to do it myself, but I failed, do you understand, I failed, says Quentin fiercely.  I understand that you succeeded, says Petofi--how you did it is of no consequence.  I didn't! Quentin shouts--I wasn't responsible for that.  Yes, you were, says Petofi, as guilty as if you hammered in the stake yourself, I assure you--and now, for your next assignment--Julia Hoffman.  Quentin says, I want no more assignments, nor anything further to do with you.  You know you don't mean that, says Petofi.  Yes, I do, I can't go on living this way, insists Quentin.
Consider the consequences of cutting yourself off from me, says Petofi.  I have, says Quentin through gritted teeth, and I don't care what you do to me.  Don't think what I might do, says Petofi, think of what YOU might do--think of that lovely lady who left the room just now--think of the consequences to her if you revert to what you were--you are in love with her, right?  Yes, admits Q.  Then I assume you want both of you to stay alive, suggests Petofi, keep the beast from her door, so to speak?  Quentin ponders it, leaning against the window.  That's much better, says Petofi, taking silence as assent.  He puts his hand on Q's shoulder--I assure you you will learn to enjoy your new life--watch Julia day and night--report every move she makes to me--  good day, Quentin.  The Q-man looks outside and hates himself.   Amanda enters and says, I met Petofi once before--he was frightening!  You have every reason to be frightened, agrees Q.  Why did he come to see you, what does he want from you? she asks.  More than I'm willing to give, says Q.  Amanda doesn't understand.  Quentin slams the window closed and doesn't answer.  What's wrong? She asks.  He looks at her and says, we're going away together, it's the only way out--we'll leave, get married, never come back!  We can't, says Amanda--I can't.  I thought you wanted to leave Collinsport? He asks.  I do, she says, but...  I'm giving you the opportunity, what's to stop you? he asks.  Impossible she says.  Do you love me? he asks.  Yes, she assures him.  Then it's possible, he insists.  It can never be, she says--I can never love anyone, nor can I be loved.  I've never met a woman more deserving of love, says Quentin.  Please don't say that, she begs.  He puts his arms around he and says, in my whole life, I've never met anyone like you--I never felt this way, he says caressing her shoulders, I never knew what it was to be in love like this.  She turns to face him--stop talking like that, she begs--it can never work out between us, I can't explain it, I can't...and she runs away.  Quentin looks after her as she retreats, perturbed.

Petofi smokes a big cigar in his lair, lighting it from a candle.  He suggests to Tim, let's be frank--your obvious reason for coming to see me--currying favor by bringing me information.  Tim insists, I naturally thought you'd be interested to hear it.  If you want to earn my gratitude, says Petofi, you'll have to do far better than that.  Tell me what I must do, asks Tim.  Petofi asks, do you know anything about I-Ching?  Tim doesn't.  Oldest form of mysticism and divination in the world, says Petofi--it can produce miracles, or lead to disaster, and one can't tell which--I want you to assist me in an experiment by going into the I-Ching trance.  What does it involve? asks Tim, any great danger?  There's no adventure without an element of danger, says Petofi--does that frighten you?  What's in it for me? asks Tim.  Find what I'm seeking, says Petofi, and name your own price.  Tim looks intrigued.  Just what is it that I'm looking for? asks Tim.  I shall tell you after I explain how I-Ching works, says Petofi, leaving the room.  Tim stands, walks a few steps.

Quentin answers a knock at the door--Julia.  You're taking a big chance coming here, he warns.  I know, she says, I won't stay long.  He quickly ushers her into the drawing room and closes and locks the doors.  Have you heard the news about Barnabas? she asks.  Yes, he says.  I have a message for you from Barnabas, she says, something he told me before he was killed--"He said that if anything ever happened to him, I was to come to you right away and have you leave Collinsport immediately--he said you were under enormous danger from Count Petofi."  I have realized that myself, says Quentin--I'd advise you to either leave Collinsport or return to your own time.  I can't leave now, she says.  There's nothing here to keep you, insists Quentin.  I must finish some things Barnabas started re: the Collins family she says.  If you stay another minute, you're crazy, he says urgently--I know what I'm talking about.  Petofi is convinced I will eventually show him the way to the future, says Julia, so he can't kill me--you are the target and must get out before he traps you here forever!

Petofi has Tim sit before the thrown I-Ching wands--concentrate on the door, orders Petofi, then pass beyond it--and remember everything you see beyond the door--that's vitally important.  Tim concentrates, the wands spin.  We see the Collinwood drawing room, Amanda being approached by someone in a hooded cloak.  The figure strangles Amanda, who pulls off the hood to reveal a hideous devil's mask.  She tries to flee, but the figure catches her.  Terrified, she cries out, No!, but it approaches her, it's horrible eyes glittering.
She pushes off the mask to reveal Quentin, who laughs as he gleefully strangles her!

NOTES:  We saw a strange clue--Julia putting a filled hypo into her doctor's bag.  Why?  Quentin dismisses his engagement to a witch awfully easily; does he really think Angelique will let him marry someone else?  She's been there, done that, and one suspects won't allow yet another Collins male to escape her clutches.  Petofi seems willing to sacrifice anyone to learn what he needs to know about I-Ching.  Human beings are nothing but lab rats to him, all dispensable.  Quentin really does seem to love Amanda, he never spoke that gently or sincerely to poor Beth, who seems to be really getting into becoming one of Petofi's minions.  Poor Q, learning Charity finished what he couldn't even start--and his friend is dead, for real!

Love, Robin