Author Topic: DS DVD question  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
DS DVD question
« on: March 10, 2003, 04:30:56 PM »
Anyone deigning to reply to this query--please bear in mind that it is written by a self-professed luddite who does not actually own (and has never operated) a DVD player.  (btw one of my friends bought a DVD player, and was unable to connect it.  A "cable guy" needed to visit his home to check his cable connections and, while there, obligingly connected the DVD player for him.  Only thing is, Mr. Cable informed my friend that he could not have the DVD player and the VCR connected to the same unit. I'm sure this is not true but, since I do not know anything about DVD equipment, I'm unable to help out my friend.)

I was chatting with a friend (not the same one as above) last night, and she stated that she is looking forward to getting all the DS DVDs so she can go to a favorite scene in any given episode without fast forwarding.

I'm not sure that the encoding of the DS DVD set permits one to go directly to a specific scene in this manner.  Does anyone know about this?

Another thing that occurred to me is that if the disc is not set up with each act encoded as a chapter (or whatever), one might be able to "bookmark" specific scenes, if the DVD player were hooked up to the right kind of equipment (a computer, for example).

Any thoughts on this?

Gothick

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re:DS DVD question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 05:04:27 PM »
Gothick

The only thing I know about them is that we have a DVD and a VCR.  Now, they both are hooked up to our TV.  That I do know.   [crowdhappy]

As for getting DVDs on 'you're favorite scene', my DS DVD's do not have it. I wish it did.   The only thing is, is that you can see  like 'Episode 300" or one like it.   On our remote control for DVD has a button take is labeled "slow+".  If you push that one, it will push you throw the scene until you see the part where you want to stop and watch the scene.

I know that I am a self-professed luddite to, but I hoped that this helped you a little bit.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 06:37:16 PM »
I was chatting with a friend (not the same one as above) last night, and she stated that she is looking forward to getting all the DS DVDs so she can go to a favorite scene in any given episode without fast forwarding.

I'm not sure that the encoding of the DS DVD set permits one to go directly to a specific scene in this manner.  Does anyone know about this?

There is a menu at the beginning that gives you the episode number and date it originally aired.  But there is no menu on getting to your favorite scene.  But it should be fairly easy once there to fast forward to the particular scene.

I've also noticed with my particular DVD player that if I take out the disc.  Then come back to playing the disc.  It will play where I left off.  It's kinda nice.

I have both a VCR and DVD.  But they are plugged into what is called a processor.  I have a fairly fancy home theater system.  Oftentimes, though they get plugged into the TV in the back.  Get the special AV cable.  The picture is noticeably better.

Good luck with your set-up.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 08:18:15 PM »
The DS DVDs encode each episode as a single chapter, rather than breaking them up at the "act" points...

Pity really - I have discs of a couple of other soaps, and it's much better presented with the option to hop about easily.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 10:36:19 PM »
Thanks for this information.  I was pretty sure I'd gathered from the statements on other topics related to this format that the DS DVD's are encoded by episode number and nothing more than that.  Presumably the quantity included on the discs precluded a higher level of encoding.  Who knows.

Steve

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 02:02:24 AM »
Everything I know about DVD players could be put into a thimble but...I have a Toshiba DVD player  that I have hooked up to the TV.  I also have a Phillips VCR player hooked up to the same TV.  I press channel 3 on my Zenith TV's remote and can play the VCR.  If I press the TV/VCR source button on the Zenith remote..the DVD goes on. It isn't pretty but it gets the job done!

Also, once I pushed the menu button on the DVD remote and got a list of chapters across the top of the screen.  However, I haven't figured out a way to bookmark the scenes I would like to.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 08:53:57 AM »
The DS DVDs encode each episode as a single chapter, rather than breaking them up at the "act" points...

Pity really - I have discs of a couple of other soaps, and it's much better presented with the option to hop about easily.

I agree with Stuart. It's too bad that the MPI Dark Shadows person couldn't have had more foresight in the options that fans would desire. I still miss the slates that are on the MPI VHS tapes.  :(

SDP

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 04:50:11 AM »
Speaking of the DVDs, I've just uploaded the cover to DVD Collection 5 at my website - http://www.collinwood.net

It's okay, a bit palid, but a nice shot of Lara :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2003, 06:50:57 AM »
There is nothing to prevent MPI from authoring more chapters per disc. The extra room needed to encode them is almost nothing.

It's just a matter of the authors realizing this desire and complying.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 05:07:13 PM »
Well,  good Goddess, Darren, you would think encoding the DVDs per act would be a no-brainer for these boys!  Ah well.

Here's another question for all the brains in the audience (lol).  Actually, this one pertains to folks who have had DVD players for a few years.

Do the little dears (the players, lol) hold up longer than CD players seem to do?  My latest CD player is dying on me.  I have yet to purchase one that lasted longer than 2 years.  The Walgreens downstairs from where I work has DVD players (APEX ones) priced at 60 bucks which is not too bad for something expected not to last longer than 18 months, I reckon.

TTFN,  Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 05:31:40 PM »
Can't comment on DVD players for you Steve, ours are both pretty new.  But the Pioneer CD player that's hooked up to the audio system is a LOT older than 2 years.

Portable CD players, on the other hand, seem to have the lifespan of kleenex.  My daughter goes through them at a horrifying rate.

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 12:58:15 AM »
Regarding the sale of the DVD's:
Do the actors receive any compensation for the sale of the DVD's?  Also does Jonathan receive additional compensation because they have so far used his likeness on all the DVD's.

I ask this because I believe MPI could have done a much more professional job in what goes into the DVD's.  That said if I knew that the purchase of the DVD not only put money in the pockets of MPI and  Dan Curtis but also the actors who appear in the DVD's than I would be much more willing to purchase them.  I also believe Jonathan should receive additional compensation since they are using his likeness to sell the DVD's. IMO

Thanks,

Murph

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2003, 02:31:04 AM »
Given the age of the source material, I think MPI has done a great job w/ the DVD's.  The truth is there are not a lot extras that could be included but they look great compared to the tapes... for half as much money.   I am not sure chapter breaks are needed when the shows are only 21 minutes each...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2003, 02:32:00 AM »
The actors receive residuals for the videos and DVDs. Keep in mind that these things are not selling millions of units like even a standard b studio release, but they sell solid and strong to an established niche audience.

It's more of a bonus or honorarium, because as far as the law (and the original contracts) are concerned, they aren't entitled to anything past their 1966-1971 paychecks. There was no thought to future marketing, sales or syndication back then, especially for daytime, and in their contracts they basically signed away all rights.

There may have been attempted legal action/SAG intervention/ or a settlement made in the intervening years, but that's speculative and something I'm unaware of.

If it was a nighttime show it would have been set up quite differently, as those are quite commonly syndicated.

The only person who did (that I'm 100% sure of) was Sy Tomashoff who very wisely insisted on it in his contract. DC never thought it would ever go into syndication so agreed to it as more of a lark, but Sy Tomashoff is smilin' now!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 03:05:04 AM »
Steve,
          My TV has both the DVD player and the VHS attached without a problem.  Of course, my son had to make the connection.  It took him about two minutes but the TV is just a year old.  Also, we have had good luck with Sharp portable CD players.  We have one that is nine years old or older.  I tend to stick with brand names I am familar with. Check Walmart if you get a chance they have name brands for reasonable amounts.  Though I am not a brain on these types of things far from it.  We just tend to go with what has proven to be a good product in the past.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth