Author Topic: A Quentin's Theme Query  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
A Quentin's Theme Query
« on: March 05, 2003, 04:55:28 AM »
Hello all.  I'm kinda new here (well, been lurking for a couple of weeks & I know the poster known as petofi in real life) so I guess I'll start off by saying  "hi"   *waves*

Anyway, to my point.

Has anyone out there heard of sheet music for Quentin's Theme being available for violin?  I know the piano music is readily available in the Dark Shadows Music Book, but since it was recorded originally (if I am remembering this correctly) in piano & violin, I thought there might be a possibility of the violin sheet music lurking out there somewhere.  The reason I ask is because I thought it might be nice to incorporate Quentin's Theme into my wedding ceremony and my sister plays the violin.  The weddings over a year away, so I've got plenty of time to search, but I would be extremely grateful for any help anyone may have to offer.

Thanks!

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re:A Quentin's Theme Query
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 10:06:58 AM »
hello!

the only printed music i've seen thus far is for piano only.  it's in the MPI video page under dark shadows merchandise to buy.  i'm doubting that it would have any other arrangements.

you may need to have your sister make an arrangement for violin and piano.  it'd probably be easy for her esp. if she has a lot of music training or went to music school and had basic music theory.

you can also check with the music publisher of the piano version and see if they have any other arrangements available.  that would be the only publisher that would have it i'm sure since it's very, very copyright protected.

good luck on your wedding.  ooo this song would also sound really pretty on the harp!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 06:42:23 PM »
the only printed music i've seen thus far is for piano only

It was also for organ when it came out back in '69.  I got a copy of it that year for Christmas!  As a matter of fact, it was the piece I played for the spring recital of 1970 at the conservatory.

Gerard

Connie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 08:38:54 PM »
Has anyone out there heard of sheet music for Quentin's Theme being available for violin?

Hi Aristia...

Funny you should mention that.  I keep telling LoveAtFirstBITE that we should record a little rendition of Quentin's theme together (she plays violin).  I've been meaning to write it out for her - but in a different key.  (The original is rather high I believe, and she's not that great in fifth position, lol).  Anyway, like victoria winters said, it's such a simple little melody, that any violinist could pick it out very easily.  Hell, I could do it in a couple of minutes and I don't even play violin - LOL.

I used to have the piano music years ago and if I remember correctly, the arrangement is nothing like the original accompaniment you hear on the show though.  If you wanted it truer to the original, you'd have to change it.

-CLC   ;)

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 01:58:08 AM »
 :) It's a beautiful and simple melody. I remember when it first came out, I picked it out myself on the organ, having some knowledge of chords. Possibly your sister could do the same on the violin. Coordinating with a piano or organ is another matter-----but if all else fails, it's worth a try.
                                                                            Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 03:45:03 AM »
You could take the printed copy of SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT and have a pianist play the piano part and have the violin play the vocal melody, and probably get a very nice rendition.  If you have a good pianist, give him/her the sheet music and a copy of the recording and ask them to ad  lib their accompaniment to recreate that of the recording.  If you need some help with this, email me and I'll give you some musical tips.

Brian

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 06:05:07 AM »
Hello Aristia and welcome  :)wish i could help
but can't add much morethan the others. it is such a pretty piece hope you get to use it!
Good Luck with your plans! :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 04:36:03 PM »
Hello all.  I'm kinda new here (well, been lurking for a couple of weeks & I know the poster known as petofi in real life) so I guess I'll start off by saying  "hi"   *waves*

Anyway, to my point.

Has anyone out there heard of sheet music for Quentin's Theme being available for violin?  I know the piano music is readily available in the Dark Shadows Music Book, but since it was recorded originally (if I am remembering this correctly) in piano & violin, I thought there might be a possibility of the violin sheet music lurking out there somewhere.  The reason I ask is because I thought it might be nice to incorporate Quentin's Theme into my wedding ceremony and my sister plays the violin.  The weddings over a year away, so I've got plenty of time to search, but I would be extremely grateful for any help anyone may have to offer.

Thanks!

Well, shut my mouth and lose my hand!   [clap]Congratulations!  Email me, and give me all the details!  As you can see Ari, the folks on this board are always willing to lend a"hand." :P  Gad! enuff with the hand jokes!

petofi

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 12:21:43 AM »
Thank you all for your advice!
I'll chat with my dad to see how good my sister is at playing music by ear.  She's 11, but has been playing the violin (and piano!) for 5 or 6 years!  Brian's suggestion just might work.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2003, 02:04:47 PM »
The reason I ask is because I thought it might be nice to incorporate Quentin's Theme into my wedding ceremony and my sister plays the violin.  The weddings over a year away, so I've got plenty of time to search, but I would be extremely grateful for any help anyone may have to offer.

Thanks!

I have a suggestion for you.  Not too long ago I went to a music school in our town for a short while as I had received a keyboard for Christmas and wanted to take lessons to help get me started. After I had taken several lessons I brought in the sheet music for 'Joanna's Theme' by Robert Cobert and the teacher helped me learn to play it in about 6 lessons.  Perhaps converting from piano to violin might be something doable if your teacher is agreeable.  Quentin's Theme was incredibly popular and there are many versions of it available.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2003, 02:35:04 PM »
[ Quentin's Theme was incredibly popular and there are many versions of it available.

It sure was. In the past I have come across Quentin's Theme sheet music written for: Piano, Guitar, Organ, and Accordion.

I have heard it played on the violin though.  At the 1999 Collin's Association Halloween party, the organizer had a string Orchestra on hand to entertain the guest with a variety of the Dark Shadows melodies.
                    Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2003, 06:00:30 AM »
Hellllllllloooooo [hello]
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.