Author Topic: Return To Collinwood  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Return To Collinwood
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
I have the new KLS book and while I enjoy it, there is reuse of a lot of the text from My Scrapbook memories of DS.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Return To Collinwood
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
Thanks Joey; interesting to hear, and hardly comes as a surprise.

Any observations or thoughts on the photos?

Best, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:46 PM »
I was just going to start a topic about the book and get into a similar thing as to what you just posted about, Joeytrom, so that's why I've split your post from the new film's topic and it now starts this new topic.

Anyway, I've only read two chapters of the book so far and I found them interesting for vastly different reasons.

The chapter entitled "Cinematic Collinwood" is basically the same chapter as the Movie Book's "Collinwood At the Cinema," however, it's not entirely the same because some things have been edited out while other things have been added - and in some cases entirely new paragraphs of info have been added. It would be interesting to know if it's the same piece that Darren originally submitted for the Movie Book, but this time around it's simply been edited differently, or if Darren added more to it. I suspect the former over the latter. But in either case, it's very nice to have both versions to present an even more accurate picture of what transpired with both original movies.

And the only thing I have to say publicly about the "Hidden In the Shadows" chapter is that it should come across as a major marvel of discretion to anyone who closely followed some of the projects it discusses and, therefore, got different sides of the stories from several of the parties involved. But then, I would expect nothing less from a KLS book or a chapter written by Jim Pierson.

And now that Joeytrom has mentioned that other parts of the book are also recycled from other PomPress sources, it's going to be really interesting to see how much of the text of the book is recycled and how much is new. But then, I never really bought the book for the text - much more so for the new photos - and when it comes to them, I'm quite satisfied.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
Hi.  "Cinematic Collinwood" is actually a top-to-bottom rewrite/revision of the chapter I wrote for the movie book.  The movie book chapter was written under a very tight deadline and had some errors in it.  In the intervening years, more information and documentation has become available, so I made dozens of corrections and added several paragraphs of new or clarifying information, and tweaked some frankly, embarassing clunky prose.  It's the more accurate of the two and just better all around.

There's lots of additional information and crew quotes that I hope to make use of someday.  Perhaps when the restoration is accomplished, I'll proprose doing a slim book on it with the BFI.  I certainly think I could fill one up by this point.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »
I found the chapter on the trip to England for filming the cameo scenes to be quite entertaining.  Even the original series foursome were kept very much in the dark about most everything, and had pretty much no idea of what they'd be doing in their cameos until it came around to the actual filming.

The chapter on the 2004 pilot was very sad reading.  Most of that was news to me.  It would be really cool if WB could somehow include the pilot as bonus material on a future DVD release.  Perhaps with the Burton film or, more appropriately, with House of Dark Shadows.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
I hope you do get to do a book, Darren, because I would greatly look forward to that.  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
The chapter on the 2004 pilot was very sad reading.  Most of that was news to me.

Trust me, though, don't take everything written in that section of the chapter as gospel. In fact, there's information posted right here on the forum in the pilot's own topic that calls into question some of what's written...

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:22 PM »
What is the quality of the book like? Is it expensive looking or cheap? Do the photos reproduce well. I own the very first boook KLS put out, My Scrapbook memories, and it was top notch. actually, the first few books she did were beautiful-looking books, sometimes hard-covers, but some of the later ones were cheaper-looking compared to her earlier ones. The photos didn't reproduce well And the size changed to smaller paperback-type versions.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
What is the quality of the book like? ...I own the very first boook KLS put out, My Scrapbook memories, and it was top notch

It's a return to that size and that quality and nothing like everything beyond the 30th Anniversary Almanac.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:57:40 PM »
Thanks! That's good to know. I might actually buy the book now!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »
The book is gorgeous.  It's arguably the most handsome book Pomegranate have ever put out about the series.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 12:24:18 AM »
Darren, congratulations on being given the opportunity to revise and improve that chapter!  I will look forward to the book now for your contribution alone.

Really?  There are omissions and equivocations in the chapter on the 2004 pilot?  I'm shocked.  Simply shocked.  Why, I always thought of Miss Scott and Mister Pierson as authors of the most unsullied candor.

am I winking or do I have something in my eye,

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »
Really?  There are omissions and equivocations in the chapter on the 2004 pilot?  I'm shocked.  Simply shocked.  Why, I always thought of Miss Scott and Mister Pierson as authors of the most unsullied candor.

LOL! Though when I referred to the chapter as being a major marvel of discretion, I wasn't actually referring to the portion about the pilot because for the most part it's actually an accurate recounting of the situation. (Though I know that I and others here on the forum would vehemently disagree with the piece's final view of the pilot)

I was actually referring to how the situations with some of the other projects are described and how one particular remark is an understatement if ever there was one. Those of us who were active on the old incarnation of the forum on VantageNet will no doubt realize what situation I'm referring to as soon as they come across it because, as we did here with the '04 pilot, we followed that project very closely back in those days and we linked to/discussed articles covering all sides of its development...

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 02:25:22 AM »
There were some new photo's but most were in several other books.   
What surprised me about the 2004 pilot was who was actually behind the project being shelved.  I thought it was the reverse.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 02:46:15 AM »
I wouldn't say most are in other books. There are certainly some that have been recycled from other PomPress books. But it looks to me as if others are only similar to what's been published before and in and of themselves are new. While others are completely different from what's been published before.