Author Topic: Goodbye (almost) to Magda?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Goodbye (almost) to Magda?
« on: March 03, 2003, 06:43:33 PM »
As far as I can tell, the character of Magda Rakosi only appears in one more episode (856) after today, which I find disappointing, 'cos I've been really digging Grayson in this role.

So what do y'all suppose happened to Magda after her days (and nights) running errands for 'Meester Barnabas' ended?  Could she have gone back to the gypsies?  She's in deep sh** with them right now, isn't she?  Did she help Mrs. Fillmore to raise Quentin's daughter Lenore?  Or did she wander off to Pennsylvania, where she settled down with a nice country doctor by the name of Hoffman?  ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re:Goodbye (almost) to Magda?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 12:09:47 AM »
It's too bad Magda is only appearing in one more episode. I really enjoyed her character. According to Dark Shadows Memories her voice is also heard in #887. Maybe Charity talked to her about Atlantic City and Magda decided to follow her dream of being a tarot reading dance woman.  :P

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 12:35:31 AM »
No more Magda! ahhh!!  :-[  :-[  Perhaps Grayson got allergic to all the makeup or they ran out. . . It does seem strange that her fate is in now way hinted at. . .
Julia99

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 04:36:24 AM »
Ive always thought "Magda" was her best role..I'll miss the character :(
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 07:11:16 AM »
Ive always thought "Magda" was her best role..I'll miss the character :(

Me too Maggie.  I really liked Grayson in that roll.

SPOILER...........SPOILER........SPOILER.......SPOILER

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

It's too bad though that they never did let us know what happened to her or what her final fate wound up being.  I would like to think she lived a long full life, but with the threat of Julianka's curse hanging over her head we can only imagine what really happened to her.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 02:51:49 PM »
Here's my take on what happened to our beloved Magda.

Fed up with everything that happened, and knowing she can't do anything more, she decides to leave Collinwood and Collinsport.  Barnabas understands, and with new help for him on the scene, he not only wishes her a fond departure, but gives her some money to allow her to start a new life.

With her immediate family now all deceased, and being a pariah among her Gypsy clan, she travels as far away as possible, out to the west coast, to San Francisco.  There, with Barnabas' money (but being very frugal with it), she rents a small flat in a side alley and goes into business as Madame Magda.  To supplement her income, she uses what she learned tending to Barnabas and goes about cleaning houses, eeking a living by both means.

Her fortunes change with the 1906 earthquake.  Although the subsequent fires destroy the building in which she lives, she gains instant but quick fame when several of her clients state that she had predicted the earthquake and warned them about it.  Her new popularity brings in more wealthy clients, allowing her to purchase a small house and dump the side-cleaning job.  Yet, she remains cautious with her funds, living a more simple life.

During WWI, her services are even more needed, especially by the women of San Francisco's upper-crust, who are desperate to know about the welfare of their sons, brothers and even husbands fighting in Europe once the US enters the war in 1917.

In 1918, Madame Magda almost falls victim to the Influenza Epidemic, but survives.

She receives a "visitor" in 1922, none other than Quentin Collins.  His appearance disturbs her, she insisting that she wants nothing to do with the Collins family.  His visit setting off feelings of remorse over all that happened decades before, she "retires" (save for just a few priviledged clients) and becomes a virtual recluse.  About the only place she is spotted is at Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, where she remains in back, on her knees, during the long services, her head and face heavily veiled, in deep prayer.

In 1927, at the age of 75, Magda dies, mainly forgotten within the local community.  Only a small handful of people attended her funeral, and she was interred in the Greco-Russian/Slavonic-Illyric section of the General Cemetery.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 03:23:56 PM »
Very interesting Gerard!  Especially the part about Magda and Quentin meeting up again; although I'd like to believe that maybe they'd have at least one more adventure together.  Can you just see a geriatric Magda tromping around the woods with Quentin, being chased by some supernatural baddie?  ;D
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 03:31:10 PM »
i think she did all right but wish they had mentioned her in the future> it always seemed strange to me that she didn't seem to have anything to do with Lenore! didn't she have a claim to her.
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 11:45:22 PM »
I also will miss Magda.She is my favorite Grayson charactor.  I enjoy her wit.  Also enjoy how she acts with the Barnster.  At times I just want to wack Julia for her blind devotion to him.  Julia lovers don't hate me.  I just can't stand that an intelligent woman would put up with his crap.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2003, 12:37:04 AM »
I also will miss Magda.She is my favorite Grayson charactor.  I enjoy her wit.  Also enjoy how she acts with the Barnster.  At times I just want to wack Julia for her blind devotion to him.  Julia lovers don't hate me.  I just can't stand that an intelligent woman would put up with his crap.  Birdie
I don't understand it, either, Birdie. Maybe if she spoke up more often, Barnabas would have respected her more and eventually would have fallen in love with her.  She's too whiney, too needy. She should've told him that Josette was dead, get over it, and see a real woman of the 70's.  Barnabas probably wouldn't know what do with a free lovin' woman. He was stuck in the 90's--the 1790's! LOL
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2003, 04:23:47 AM »
I also will miss Magda.She is my favorite Grayson charactor.  I enjoy her wit.  Also enjoy how she acts with the Barnster.  At times I just want to wack Julia for her blind devotion to him.  Julia lovers don't hate me.  I just can't stand that an intelligent woman would put up with his crap.

Birdie

Hence. .the famous Julia slap series on the Julia list. .wherein she finally gave the bat a taste of the sting of her palm. . .
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2003, 04:27:44 AM »
II don't understand it, either, Birdie. Maybe if she spoke up more often, Barnabas would have respected her more and eventually would have fallen in love with her.  She's too whiney, too needy. She should've told him that Josette was dead, get over it, and see a real woman of the 70's.  Barnabas probably wouldn't know what do with a free lovin' woman. He was stuck in the 90's--the 1790's! LOL

Carol are you joking?? The last thing Barnabas wanted was a woman with a mind of her own . . and Juliia was blindly devoted to him (which ickens me too) but she spoke up plenty of times. .okay, he often said "do as I say . . " now. .i challenge the notion that she did it. . she often just looked aside and did what she was gonna do all along. . . but the idea of Julia just throwing him down and giving him a taste (no pun intended) of a mature, educated woman rather than simpering naive fools. .that's a good thought!
Julia99

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2003, 04:55:59 AM »
Carol are you joking?? The last thing Barnabas wanted was a woman with a mind of her own . .
That's EXACTLY what he needed but was too blind to see it. He was thinking with a 1790 brain while Julia was thinking with a 1960 one. Unfortunately, the writers made her wimpy when he came to him. Man speaks, woman listens.
and Juliia was blindly devoted to him (which ickens me too) but she spoke up plenty of times. .okay, he often said "do as I say . . " now. .i challenge the notion that she did it. . she often just looked aside and did what she was gonna do all along. . .
Yes. she spoke up but eventually did what HE wanted.
but the idea of Julia just throwing him down and giving him a taste (no pun intended) of a mature, educated woman rather than simpering naive fools. .that's a good thought![/size]
A man like Barnabas NEEDED a strong woman like Julia to tell him like it is , was, and will be.  The SYT would've been a flash in the pan and he would've lost interest. Julia would've needed to convince him that the type of woman he wanted was worldly, not wordless. SYT's just go so far and then what? I can't see Barnabas dancing at the Blue Whale when he would've preferred a night at home conversing with a knowledgabl woman. 
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 05:49:10 AM »
I have always found it ironic that Barney and Josette, the star crossed lovers, his ideal woman, blah, blah, blah---had ZERO chemistry together. Those two were as dull as dishwater.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Connie

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 06:56:32 AM »
That Magda - I'm gonna miss her something fierce.   :'(

Barn & Julia:  I remember reading somewhere that the writers had been planning on heading in a romantic direction with them or something.

S P O I L E R
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+

That great scene in 1995 with the two of them.

Barnabas: "Not without you....never without you."

Ah...