Author Topic: Mr.Rogers OT  (Read 2821 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re:Mr.Rogers OT
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2003, 01:56:06 AM »
 :'(feel the same he seemed like a lovely man
and had better advice than Dr S. i was too old also and grew up on The Captain and Rex Trailer's Boomtown!!!
 His show endured time and so many changes saw a piece he did
after RFK's death on how to tell children about
death and it still moves me to tears.
he will be missed too bad he didn't get to enjoy his retirement but hope he is in a better
neighborhood now! :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2003, 04:08:15 PM »
I'm sure the nieghborhoods in heaven are going to enjoy the new nieghbor..for sure.But we'll miss him in ours :(
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2003, 11:49:01 PM »
Minja Wrote:
The article also list some other children's show the writer enjoyed as a kid and The Electric Company was mentioned.  A DS connection here, since Denise Nickerson was once a member of The Short Circus, the youthful musical group on The Electric Company

OMG, I forgot all about that show Minja!  I remember my daughter's watching that one alot also.  Brings back so many memories too! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2003, 03:10:32 PM »
As promised in my earlier post on this subject, here are a few photos I took at the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago. The first two photos depict the Garfield Goose Show display featuring the puppets of: Garfield Goose, Romberg Rabbit, Beuregard the III, and Macintosh the mouse. Also pictured is a photo within the photo of host Frazier Thomas in his Prime Minister garb. (His jacket is also on display as seen in the photo) :) I don't know if the Garfield Goose Show (circa the mid/late 1960's) was a regional t.v. program shown only in the Chicagoland area, or if it was indeed a national show. Did anyone posting here living outside the Chicagoland area  ever see the show?

The photo below is of the Cuddley Duddley display. Initially, in the mid/late 60's, stuffed Cuddley Duddley's were  available for purchase via a promotion through one of the Chicago Newspapers. Eventually a puppet was designed using one of the actual stuffed dogs, and a "talking" Cuddley Duddley appeared on a morning t.v. show, (I think he even had a theme song) making him even more popular with children. I remember my sisters and me had a Cuddley Duddley. You can tell by the photo that Cuddley had a long neck, a poor design(big head-slim neck) for a stuffed play toy. I remember we played with our Cuddley so much that the stuffing in his neck shifted to the point that his head was slumped all the was over and came to rest on his body. :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2003, 03:45:23 PM »
Oh yes...I was raised in the chicago suburbs and I used to watch Garfield Goose..aaaaaaaaand..remember the "Ray Raynor" show???..there was also another one called "Bj & the dragon"..remember that one? Cool pictures by the way..I'll have to go see that display sometime...  :)
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2003, 05:11:30 PM »
Thanks for posting those photos from the museum Bob.  My mom and I went there in December of 2000 and had a great time  :) .

I grew up in Indianapolis and I don't remember those shows - though the goose puppet with the crown looks really familiar for some reason.  Our local shows were Popeye and Janie, Cowboy Bob, Kindergarten College and The Bill Jackson Show.  Bill Jackson was my personal fav because he drew cartoon characters and showed re-runs of the Mickey Mouse Club - was I ever green when my sister got to be on the show and I didn't!  Ahhhhh, such simple, good times! Sometimes I'd love to go back for a vacation.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2003, 08:12:57 PM »
i don't remember it here in Boston Bob We had a few local shows such as Boomtown (cowboy show) and Major Mudd. Boomtown we went on
once(think it was based in Cambridge)and the
deputy Pablo was so mean too us when the show wasn't running and he smoked like a fiend! it was upsetting because we watched it every day and he was so nice on the air LOL

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2003, 09:03:25 AM »
I don't know any of the characters but just wanted to say Bob, your photo's are beautiful!
Thanks for sharing them!

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2003, 01:00:53 PM »
I'm not familiar with these characters either, Bob, but the pix came out great though.  In our area, we had Freddie the Freihofer Show(puppets, stories, and squiggles) and Teenage Barn, half hour show for local talent. These were back in the late 50's and early 60's.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2003, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing those great photo's with us Bob.  It must have been a Chicago thing.  Like Jennifer I was familar with Rex Trailer and Major Mudd.  Never went on either show, but did get to meet both of them.  If my memory is working correctly they did a guest appearence in Worcester at the Filenes store.
Rex Trailer did this thing were he ran a trip to Ca. in the spring, Boy did I always want to go.  Of course, that was not possible.  Never dreamed in the 60's that I would ever get to Ca. and to '"DISNEYLAND".   Finally, got there in 1985.  It had such a magic for those of us who grew up with the Wonderful World of Disney.  We have been very lucky to be able to take our family to Disney World three times and some other good vacations.
There I go rambling again.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2003, 03:19:40 PM »
Thanks for posting those photos from the museum Bob.  My mom and I went there in December of 2000 and had a great time  :) .

I grew up in Indianapolis and I don't remember those shows - though the goose puppet with the crown looks really familiar for some reason.  Our local shows were Popeye and Janie, Cowboy Bob, Kindergarten College and The Bill Jackson Show.  Bill Jackson was my personal fav because he drew cartoon characters and showed re-runs of the Mickey Mouse Club - was I ever green when my sister got to be on the show and I didn't!  Ahhhhh, such simple, good times! Sometimes I'd love to go back for a vacation.
Hi Castlebee,
I grew up in Indiana too. I remember Cowboy
Bob and Janie and then later Peggy.  I don't
remember Bill Jackson show though. I must
have been watching Captain Kangaroo or
something else. I still blame Janie for getting
me hooked on Pepsi. LOL
Julianka