Author Topic: Robservations 2/26/03 - Angelique Steps In - #828-829  (Read 1614 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 2/26/03 - Angelique Steps In - #828-829
« on: February 25, 2003, 09:52:19 PM »
828 - Lara Parker does our intro, which means Angelique is finally going to be in an episode!

Johnny raises his scimitar and brings it down, laughing--but someone shoves a knife in his back--Aristede.  Johnny falls to the floor.  Relieved, Petofi calls Aristede a "dear, dear boy." Are you all right? asks Aristede.  Yes, thanks to your providential arrival, says Petofi--I owe my life to you--untie my wrist; it's uncomfortable.  Eyes glittering with hatred, Petofi reveals that Barnabas told Johnny about me--he betrayed me!--wherever he turns, Barnabas has contrived to make matters uncomfortable for me--we must deal with Barnabas, decrees Petofi, as soon as we deal with the gypsy on the floor.  I dealt with him rather well, brags Aristede, considering how far he was from the door. And I'll remember that, promises Petofi--now we must deal with this savage.  Aristede pulls out the knife and wipes the blood on Johnny's grand velvet cape.  "This one doesn't have long to go," says Aristede.  Did you hear that? Petofi asks the gypsy--I promised you things beyond your dreams, and you never dreamt you would die tonight, but you are, and I will kill all your kind that cross my path--they must learn to leave me alone and give me peace.  "No!" shouts Johnny hoarsely--"No peace for you, none!  You kill King Johnny, you think you are safe--think again--nine days after my spirit leaves the earth, I will return, and give the power to another gypsy somewhere, he will then have the power kill you--whoever he is, wherever he is, you will not know
--he will come for you, until then, the golden scimitar will be raised against you again."  Aristede requests permission to finish Johnny off now.  "And you!" shouts Johnny, "you've done enough to King Johnny--my spirit curses you!"  He spits at him, then dies.  Aristede is about to stab him again.  Save your weapons for the living, advises Petofi, holding him back--"The dog is dead."  He immediately takes a drink, obviously shaken.  I don't like the idea of his cursing me, frets Aristede.  You killed ONE gypsy, says Petofi, I've killed hundreds in my time--in spite of all their curses, I have dined well, slept well and dreamt no desperate dreams--dispose of him.  What if the others come looking for him? asks Aristede.  He boasted he was the only one who knew where I was, says Petofi, I could leave him in an open field, like an animal--get a shovel and bury him immediately.  They'll never know what happened, says Aristede, and walks away.  Perhaps not, says Petofi to himself, if we dig well and deep enough--but in nine days, another gypsy will know the power over Petofi has been passed on to him.  This does not please Count Petofi at all, as his haunted eyes attest.

Study - Jamison lies asleep, Quentin watching him with loving eyes.  Jamison awakens and greets Quentin.  I feel very sleepy, says Jamison.  We can talk for a while, says Q--I'd like that very much.  "David," he calls--"Tell me how we met in 1969."  Jamison says he must know how they met.  I just want to see if you remember, says Quentin.  Jamison/David explains about the telephone they found in the West Wing--"You used to tell Amy, and me, what you wanted, on that telephone."  Oh, says Q, but then, you wouldn't have recognized me--you saw me in 1969?  Sure, says David/Jamison, when we went into the sealed room, and found the skeleton.  Where did you find the skeleton? Asks Q.   "In a chair, near a big rolltop desk," replies Jamison.  Quentin is alarmed to hear that--the sealed room is my room, and the skeleton must be mine.  I'm tired, complains Jamison--I want to sleep.  Not yet, begs Q--even though you found the skeleton, you saw me--what did I look like?  Jamison doesn't understand what he's asking--you looked like Quentin, how else would you look?  Quentin doesn't know--how does a ghost look?  That's why they were all afraid of you, explains David/Jamison; they said you were evil.  Am I evil? asks Quentin.  Beth loves you, says Jamison.  What is Beth doing there? asks Quentin.  I don't want to talk anymore, says the boy--I'll do as you want, but please let me sleep...he drifts into slumber.  Quentin thinks to himself--I'm frightened to know that in 1969, Quentin Collins will be a skeleton in a sealed up room, a ghost terrorizing a small boy and driving people from Collinwood--why does this lie in store for me?--how does it happen, and what does it mean?  Angelique appears in the corner--I was looking for you--how is Jamison?  He's very sick, says Quentin.  Jamison awakens and looks up at her.  "Cassandra!" he cries.  (Uh oh, he remembers stepmama dearest)  I didn't know she was coming back! Cries the boy.  And I didn't know you were at Collinwood, in David Collins' time, says Quentin.  Another time, another name--yes, I was here, admits Ang.  Or I WILL be there, before you arrive, however.  I do arrive, says Quentin, and I'm terrified to think how, why or as what--there must be a way to end this, save them now and in the future, too.  Perhaps, says Ang, but won't tell him anything--I will try to remove the spell from Jamison, and Edward, too--if you'll marry me.  "You offered to help me once before," he reminds her--"IF I would marry you."  I know, she says, and I failed, thus the marriage was off, she agrees--this time, you must promise you'll marry me no matter what happens
--the spells on Jamison and Edward are very powerful, I have strong powers, too, but I don't know if they are strong enough, and won't know until I try--it's far easier to cast a spell than remove one, as you yourself know from your situation (and as she knows from cursing Barnabas in 1795).  And if you fail? asks Q.  There is a chance Edward and Jamison will die, she says.  No, protests Q.  But if I succeed, she says, they will be as they were before--look at the boy and tell me what you want me to do.  Quentin walks over and gazes down at his sleeping nephew.

Petofi walks through the woods, carrying a lantern--this place will be perfect to bury King Johnny, he tells Aristede.  I'm exhausted from bringing him here, protests Aristede.  I don't want the body found because you have an aversion to physical labor, says Petofi.  Aristede rises and says, I find it a lot easier to kill a man than bury him.  Petofi agrees with this.  Aristede mops his face with his red handkerchief.  Start digging, orders Petofi, it's almost dawn.  Dead, King Johnny lies there, eyes wide open.

I want an answer, Quentin, demands Angelique.  He doesn't look thrilled, but agrees--do what you must, and so will I.  I hope you mean it, says Ang, I don't like to be disappointed.  (gee, really?)  We are going to get married, he assures her--at least start off in a pleasant atmosphere.  Yes, she agrees, no time for suspicion--I have much to do, for both Jamison and Edward--if I can--go now, she orders, I want to be alone with the boy.

Aristede puts the finishing touches on Johnny's grave, patting down the earth--good enough, he says, properly done, King Johnny Romano is now sovereign of the worms.  Petofi gets a weird feeling that something is working against his spells, trying to raise them from the people at Collinwood--I cannot endure that--I must go to Collinwood at once--go back to the mill, Aristede, and destroy the golden scimitar--break it up, melt it down, get rid of it.  If it has no powers, why do you want me to get rid of it so quickly? asks Arristede.  Because the gypsies think it has the power to take my hand, says Petofi--I'm going to Collinwood to find out who dares to defy the will of Count Petofi!  They head in separate directions, leaving behind the freshly dug grave.

Angelique kneels at Jamison's head, fire burning behind her.  "Jamison Collins, I command that you throw off the possession that has been placed upon you by the powers of evil. . .listen only to my voice. . .do nothing but that I tell you to do, nothing, even though it may cost you your life."

6 o'clock - Quentin paces the drawing room as the hour chimes.  Someone knocks at the door-- Petofi.  What are you doing here? he demands.  Petofi shoots the question right back at him--what are YOU doing here?--whatever is going on in this house, I will not have it--she must stop immediately.  She? asks Quentin.  Don't be a fool or think me one, insists Petofi--who but Angelique would make the dreadful error of tampering with my spells?--she must stop and come here at once!

Angelique continues to try to lift Jamison's spell--listen only to my voice, feel the vibrations of life returning, she tells the child...  Feeling Petofi summoning her, she stops, rises and leaves the study.

I wish you could cast aside the petty concerns of family affairs, the urge to patch up something far past patching, says Petofi--let the Collins family return to the nothingness from which it came!  Quentin gazes steadily at him.  Your future could be brighter and far more expansive than you ever dreamed, if you could come over to my camp, develop those talents I perceive in you, urges Petofi--great talents, rare talents.  For what? asks Quentin.  For evil, my dear boy, says Petofi, pure evil.  Angelique enters.  You're a charming lady who has also taken the wrong side, says Petofi--you're interfering in matters that don't concern you--a serious mistake.
Angelique assures him, I never involve myself in anything that does not concern me.  Neither you nor Quentin shall attempt to change any of my spells on Collinwood, orders Petof--is that clear?  No, it's not, says Angelique (you GO, girl!), and I will not be spoken to in that manner.  I know who you are and how to deal with you, he warns.  "Then DEAL with me," she challenges, because I will do exactly as I please.  You are tragically mistaken, he says.  One of us is, she counters, only time will tell which one--excuse me, I haven't finished my day's work.  She turns to go.  This day's work will never be finished, insists Petofi.  Angelique doesn't stick around to hear the rest of the sentence.  She's gone. "You have my warning," Petofi tells Quentin--I'm not responsible for what happens to anyone if you interfere with my plans.  Petofi leaves.  Quentin heads upstairs.

Jamison calls for Quentin--why did you ask about the telephone when you already know about it?--Amy used to talk to you!  Angelique stands at the foot of the couch.  Remember everything I said to you, she urges--answer my question now with the truth for all time--"Tell me who you are!"  David Collins, he responds.  She asks him again, louder, and gets the same response.  Asks again, desperately. "David Collins!" he cries--"my name is David!"  She asks again, but this time, he replies that he isn't sure.  (Progress?)

At the mill, Aristede searches everywhere for the Golden Scimitar.  Petofi comes down, bellowing for the red candles of Kari and the parchment that belonged to some soothsayer.  Aristede, very nervous, hesitantly tells Petofi the scimitar was gone--I searched everywhere--no other gypsy knew it was here.  Get me the things I want, orders Petofi--and hurry!--no time to worry about the sword now--the only gypsy who knew where it was was King Johnny, and King Johnny is dead and buried.  Petofi stares at his hand.

"Who are you??" demands Angelique of Jamison.  He twists his head back and forth.  "Not who I thought I was," he answers.  "I'm someone else, someone far away!"  Yes, agrees Angelique, someone else far away, and you must let that someone into your body, where he belongs!  You must say your rightful name, claim your right identity, be who you were born.  Go on, tell me, I command you now to tell me who you are!"  "I am..." begins Jamison.  There's a burst of lightning, then thunder.  Angelique's eyes widen with fear.
"Tell me who you are!" she cries.  No! yells Jamison, no!  She kneels again--you must tell me who you are! she insists, you must, you must.  The child screams NO, over and over, then passes out.  Angelique stares down at him, frustrated.  Did it work or did it fail?  Did Petofi prevail?

NOTES:  What a terrible thing to do to a proud gypsy--stab him in the back and bury him in a nameless grave.  One hopes King Johnny did come and recover his sword, and will soon pass it along to the next in line to get back Petofi's hand.  He is a miserable SOB and doesn't deserve it!

Angelique returned, and now we know that she was NOT engaged to Quentin all this time, but she resurrected her request--whether she succeeds or not--and how he's stuck.  How will Beth feel?  And Pansy--will she try to poison Quentin's fiancee?  And this time, there will be no backing out--Quentin must marry Angelique even if she fails!

The scene in which Angelique appears to be battling Petofi for David and Jamison's soul was very exciting.  The question is, which won out?  I just love the way she told him off; she's such a strong woman, and her beauty and spunk make her a fascinating character at this point in the story.  But why must she persist in blackmailing Collins men to marry her?  Find a man who loves you, girl, and get on with your life!

829 - After Jamison collapses, Angelique stares through the window, then turns to tell Petofi, you cannot take this boy--"I will not let you have him!"

Angelique turns back to Jamison, who lies motionless on the sofa.  She kneels before the fire, clasps her hands and asks the Master of Darkness, look with favor upon me--hear my plea, I beg you, in this most crucial struggle, help me restore the identity of this child, in order that Quentin Collins shall be mine--and yours!"  (oh, so is THAT the real deal?--she will force Quentin to give his soul to the devil, too?)

Up in the tower room, Edward, gentleman's gentleman, hears Charity singing her sing outside his door.  He listens.  She tries the door and finds it locked, complaining of "more secrets in this house!"  He calls out, who's there?, scaring her; she covers her mouth and says, I didn't know anyone was here.  I think you know who I am, says Edward--you were sent up here to taunt me by "him."  Who are you speaking of? she asks.  The scoundrel who locked me in this room, he says, I was all set to perform my duties with my usual excellence, but he didn't even give me the opportunity!  Charity looks sorry for him, proclaiming it an awful thing for someone to do.  Edward begs her--if he sent you here to give me false hope...   Oh, no, she assures him, I didn't even know you were here, you must believe that--I would like to help you.  Hopeful, Edward asks, is it possible to let me out?  If I can find the key, she says.  The master of the house has the key, says Edward.  Then you should just sit tight, I'll run fetch him, she promises.  I don't know how to thank you, says Edward.  Getting a flirtatious look on her face, she says, if you look like you sound, we'll think of a way.  And with a dirty laugh, swinging her crimson shawl, she walks off.  Edward sits on his bed, thrilled.

Back in the study, Angelique continues praying to the master of darkness.  Jamison stirs, and calls her Angelique.  She's delighted--he knows who she is!  How long have I been asleep? He asks.  That's not important, she says, you're yourself again.  What are you talking about? He asks.  What's the last thing you remember before falling asleep? She asks.  I remember saying goodbye in the foyer to that "man," replies the boy--his name has slipped my mind.  Victor Fenn Gibbons, she offers.  Yes, he's certainly a strange old man, comments Jamison.  Angelique agrees--very strange indeed--do you remember anything else?  He sits up.  I must have had a dream, he says, because things keep coming into my head, images, like an old box, carved, a little black notebook, and this hand that's cut off, with a red ring on it--I don't understand any of it.  It's far better that you don't, Angelique assures him.

Edward, up in the tower room, has been released from his spell, too.  He uncovers his face, stands, goes to the door, tries it, and furiously demands, let me out!  Charity returns to the other side of the door.  I had some trouble finding the keys, she says, but finally got them.  Open the door! He orders.  I must find the right key, she says.  Who are you? asks Edward.  You don't sound like the fellow I spoke with earlier, she complains.  OPEN THIS DOOR AND BE QUICK ABOUT IT! he barks.  She opens the door, mumbling about him getting high and mighty.  When he sees her, he says, "Charity!  What does this mean?"  You asked me to release you, right? she says.  Who locked me in this room, and why are you dressed that way?  He asks--the change in your voice, too.  YOU'RE the one who's changed, she says, walking her fingers up his tie--you seemed rather pleasant when I was up here before.  She pinches his cheek.  He pushes her away.  You've turned stuffy now, she sniffs.  He retorts, I think you have lost your mind.  He leaves the room, storming insolently past her.  One of us has gone mad, agrees Charity, that's for certain.  She closes the door behind her.

Quentin enters the study.  Everything is all right, says Angelique--Jamison is himself again.  Thank God! says Quentin, turning to his nephew--we were very worried about you.  Jamison stares fearfully at his uncle and asks, "Why are you trying to kill David Collins?"
Angelique gazes at Quentin for a moment, then turns away and walks a few feet from them, leaving them essentially alone.  Why did you  ask me that question, Jamison? Asks Quentin.  I don't know, replies the boy, it just came into my head, so I asked it.  Do you know who David is? Asks Q.  Someone that...someone that you're trying to kill, says Jamsion.  But you don't know who h is or what he looks like? asks Q.  No, says Jamison, confused, nor do I understand why you would want to kill anyone.  I don't, Quentin assures him--you had a terrible experience, but it's all over now, and we will take good care of you.  Edward enters--I thought everyone had died, he says sarcastically.  Quentin realizes his brother is back to himself--he's come out of it, too.  Of what? asks Edward--I only know I found myself locked in the tower room without the remotest idea how I got there.  I put you in there, says Quentin--you and Jamison were both in a state of possession for the last month, imposed on you by Count Petofi.  Have you lost your mind? asks Edward.  No, says Q, but you came very close to losing yours.  (Does Edward know who Count Petofi is?)  Absurd, says Edward.  Quentin asks, what's today's date?  Edward responds, the 23rd of July.  It's the 28th of August, corrects Quentin--and shows him the yesterday's newspaper, the BANGOR HERALD.  A whole month of my life, murmurs Edward--and Jamison's too?  Yes, answers Q.  Leave me alone with Jamison, says Edward.  Not yet, says Q, we have much talking to do.  Not yet, insists Edward, I must speak to my son; you and Angelique are to wait for me in the drawing room.  They go.  Edward gently asks Jamison, how do you feel?  Fine, says Jamison, but I have no memory of what happened.  I feel the same way, says Edward--it's frightening enough to know it really happened--I promise you that nothing like it will ever happen again--we will resume our normal lives, or leave Collinwood--I promise that.

Out in the foyer, Quentin angrily tells Angelique, Edward wants to see me alone.  Me, first, insists Angelique, walking into the drawing room.  He follows her; they close the doors.  Charity comes flouncing out and listens at the door.  What's on your mind? Quentin asks Angelique.  Now that Jamison and Edward are all right, I think we should seal our agreement, don't you? she asks.  Whatever you say, agrees Quentin, hands in pockets.  You could sound more enthusiastic, she chides.  I entered into this reluctantly and shall fulfill it no less reluctantly, he says.
Oh, Quentin, she says, I'm sorry to hear you say that; I like you very much.  But you don't love me, he points out, anymore than I love you.  Perhaps I do, she says.  Shouldn't you wait until you're sure? he asks.  No, we agreed to marry, and we will, she says, within the month--I will leave the exact date up to you.  He promises to let her know the place and time within a few days.  "Oh, no you won't," says the eavesdropping Charity aloud, "you ain't never gonna marry that one--not on your life!"

Charity hears footsteps and flees, running into the servants' quarters.  Edward enters the drawing room.  Excuse us, he asks Angelique.  She leaves.  I gather this possession didn't extend to you, says Edward--do you have any idea why?  Not the slightest, says Q.  What has he been doing all this time? demands Edward.  Busy, day and night, trying to undo what Petofi did, says Quentin.  Who is this Petofi? asks Edward.  A former houseguest of yours, says Q--Victor Fenn Gibbons.   Are you serious? asks Edward.  His real name is Andreas Petofi, a Hungarian nobleman, reveals Quentin--his friendship with the Earl of Hampshire is fiction, something I tried to warn you about before Jamison's possession, but you wouldn't believe him.  Edward nods, ashamed--I know--I thought it all too incredible then--"I'm sorry, Quentin."  His manner less adversarial, Quentin admits, if I had been in your place, I might not have believed it, either.  Edward looks out the window, remarking, this family has had more than its share of tragedy over the past six months--we must set this house in order, the two of us, says Edward--never mind Petofi--what about Barnabas, has he been apprehended during this month?  No, says Q uncomfortably.  Then we must concentrate on finding, capturing and destroying Barnabas, says Edward--he is the greatest danger to the family.  Edward, says Q, if we don't deal with Petofi and Trask, there won't be any family left to be concerned about.
I'll deal with them at the proper time, says Edward, but first, Barnabas--I'm going to find him and drive a stake through his heart.  Edward stomps from the room.  Quentin, probably considering his friendship with Barnabas, looks miserable, torn.

Charity joins Quentin.  Are you contemplating what life would be like with Miss Moon eyes? She asks sarcastically.  He pours himself a drink--leave me alone, he says.  You're not going to marry Angelique, and you know it, she says, you don't love her, you tried to tell her that, but she wouldn't listen--maybe she'd listen if I were to tell her it's me you love.  You haven't been yourself, says Quentin impatiently--you don't know what you're talking about.  She primps her hair--I've seen the way you looked at me, she says, I know how you feel about me, you can't hide it.  I'm not hiding anything, he says, I'm going to marry Angelique.  She curls her hands over his shoulders.  This isn't anything to be making jokes about, she says.  "I'm not making jokes!" yells Quentin, extricating himself from her touch.  She looks lost.  "You're really going to marry that...that woman?" she asks.  Yes, says Q.  I won't let you do it! cries Charity.  You can't stop it, he retorts.  She takes a letter opener into her hands--it's me you love, she says, not her!  She lunges at him with the letter opener.  They begin to struggle, Quentin not putting down the brandy glass.  He fights her one-handed, ordering "For God's sake to put that down!"  Edward enters and breaks them up.  Charity begins to cry.  Edward, clutching the letter opener, asks her, "How much of this madness must we endure?"  She's been like this for a week, explains Quentin-- another example of Petofi's unique powers--perhaps it will convince you that something must be done about the Count.  Leave the room, demands Edward, I'll deal with Charity.  Edward closes the doors and addresses her as Miss Trask.  She shushes him, ordering complete silence so she can concentrate on the future.  It's coming to her, and it's the very near future that concerns us--the 10th of September, yes!  The 10th of September.  She sees this house (as do we), it's very late at night, there's a storm coming, the house is dark, but not everyone is in bed.  She hears music, Quentin's music, coming from downstairs.  Now, someone is coming into the house.  It's Angelique!  The latter opens the drawing room doors, calling to Quentin--she's been waiting for him at the cottage.  She finds his portrait, and gasps--blood is running from the chest!  There's blood on the floor, too.  Angelique follows the trail of crimson into the foyer, up the stairs, over the landing, following drops of blood like grotesque crumbs.  She opens the tower room door--there is Quentin, lying with a huge bloodstain on his chest.
Charity screams, "IT'S DEATH I SEE, QUENTIN'S DEATH!"  She runs past Edward, opens the double doors, and flees, screaming, from the room.

NOTES:  So what's this awful premonition Charity's had about Quentin?  Sounds pretty gruesome, huh?  Who is responsible for his death?  Petofi?  A jealous Charity?

Edward returns to himself and his first mission is finding and destroying Barnabas.  Quentin has befriended Barn during that time, and prefers to work on getting rid of Petofi before searching for Barnabas.   Which brother will win out?

Jamison is back to himself, but seems to retain some vestiges of being David Collins.  He knows Quentin is David's enemy, his killer.  What else does he know?

How will Beth react to this engagement?  Quentin doesn't want it, and Angelique's motives seem less than pure--she wants to share her new husband with her Master.  Interesting threesome.  Quentin was walking the line, tending toward the dark side, but now he's turning into a good guy who truly cares about his family.  He turned down Petofi, right?

Love, Robin