Author Topic: Robservations 2/25/03 - #826-827 - Barnabas Saves Magda  (Read 1326 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 2/25/03 - #826-827 - Barnabas Saves Magda
« on: February 24, 2003, 09:56:44 PM »
826 - It's Johnny Romano who asks Magda, did you really think you could get away from me?

King Johnny and Istvan lead Magda to the cemetery, where the trouble started--where you found Barnabas Collins.  Istvan unties her.  How do you know about him? asks Magda.  All there is to know, he says--a lion, a ring, a door, where that door leads.  Who told you? she asks--Sandor?--I suppose you tortured him a lot to make him reveal that.  Your Sandor was a nice fellow, says Johnny, walking toward the Collins tomb--I hated to see him die.  You killed him, accuses Magda.  You did it yourself, insists Johnny, you made me do it when you stole the hand.  He opens the wrought iron door; they enter the tomb.  This is where it all started, says Johnny, opening a door you should have left closed--this is where it will end--you will go on trial, right now.  Here? asks Magda--what about Boston?  Forget Boston, says Johnny.  Where is the jury? She asks--no one else is here!  I will be judge and prosecutor, says Johnny.  That ain't fair, insists Magda.  Open the door to the secret room, commands Johnny, and see what you find--this time!  She does as ordered, pulling the ring in the lion's mouth.  Inside is a table, candles.  The jury will be here in time, says Johnny--do you remember Andras, the gypsy who strangled my wife years ago?--and Milo, who killed my brother?--they're on your jury.  But they're dead! says Magda.  Yes, says Johnny, the whole jury, murderers all--they're what you deserve and what you're gonna get--"Black as the night, as death, as wings of the raven!" calls Johnny, arms upraised.  "Cat that howls in the night, black as the depths of hell where your souls are condemned--let these candles light your way back to earth.  Andras!  Marcos!"  A ghost appears and walks past Johnny, then another.  Magda watches in horror.  "Stefan, Gregor!" yells Johnny.  Two more gypsies come in, one wearing an eye-patch.  "Sergio!"  Another gypsy appears and walks down the steps.  All are very motley-looking fellows.  All condemned to death by their people, says Johnny, murderers all!--Istvan, take your place, the trial will begin.  Johnny introduces Magda as "one of your own--a thief--she stole the hand of Count Petofi, the most precious possession, to use on a gadjo, an outsider.  Magda speaks up--I also took it for Jenny's baby!  Silence, orders Johnny, I'm talking now!--she stole the hand, charge one; charge 2, she murdered Julianka, no ordinary gypsy.
I didn't! Magda protests.  Julianka had the power, the touch, the sight to see into people, says Johnny--Magda didn't respect these gifts, and murdered her.  I didn't! repeats Magda.  "She left her tribal life and now she's dead, ain't she?" asks Johnny--you DID kill her, and the jury will decide which of us is telling the truth--killing Julianka was bad enough, but when you killed the infant. . .you'd think anyone would have mercy on a helpless infant.  But Julianka put the curse on me, protests Magda--that anyone I loved would die; I tried every way to keep those babies alive!  Liar, says Johnny, and adds another charge--when I came looking for the hand, you tried to trick me with a false hand, tried to pull the bajor on ME!  I didn't, insists Magda.  The case is closed, pronounces Johnny--how are you going to vote?  "Wait a minute," protests Magda, you can't close the case yet!--there's got to be somebody to tell my side of it!"  I want a witness, Barnabas, who sent me to Boston.  You can only have gypsies at a gypsy trial, Johnny coldly informs her.  There are none to testify for me, says Magda--Sandor, Jenny, are dead.  And if they weren't, which would you call? asks Johnny.  "My beloved Sandor!" cries Magda--I trust my life to him.  Maybe you will have your chance, says Johnny--Istvan, bring me the lamp and put out all the lights.  Johnny holds up the lantern and passes it over the heads of the dead jury, calling to Sandor to make himself visible.  Magda sees Sandor standing in the doorway, looking very drugged!

Magda calls to Sandor and tries to run to him, but Istvan pulls her back.  Johnny orders the latter to light the candles.   Magda anxiously asks Sandor if it's all right for him.  "Raise your hand," Johnny orders--"Swear on the graves of the slaughtered nine, on the honor of the Romany children, swear to tell me the truth."  I swear, says Sandor.  Question him, orders Johnny, lighting one black candle with another--you have the time until the candle burns down to do it.  Who killed you? asks Magda.  The jury already knows YOU murdered him, says Johnny.  Let him answers, says Magda, he'll tell you I didn't do it.  Don't put words in the witness' mouth, orders Johnny--ask him a different question!  Who killed Julianka? asks Magda.  How could he know, he was in Boston when she died, barks Johnny--ask him something he knows.  What can I ask him? Magda says softly.  "Who wanted Julianka here, when she died," suggests Johnny--who was that, Sandor?  "Magda Rakosi," replies Sandor.  Tell us why I wanted Julianka here, says Magda--to cure Jenny's children.  Cure them of what? asks Johnny.  The curse, replies Magda.
And who put the curse on those beautiful gypsy babies, Sandor? asks Johnny.  Magda, he answers again.  Louder! demands Johnny.  Magda begins to cry--you aren't letting me ask the witness "nothin.'."  Your time is over anyway, says Johnny.  She protests, you said I had until the candle burns.  He bands over the blows it out.  She gasps.  The case is closed, pronounces Johnny, adding, "Sandor, your time is over now, too. Go back to your grave."  Not yet, protests Magda.  Sandor disappears.  Time to decide whether she lives or dies, says Johnny, asking the jury, do any of you have anything to say in her defense?  There is silence.  The gypsies all look like true scum.  Istvan raises his hand and gives Magda a thumbs down.  "How do you like that--Istvan has spoken," says Johnny--he says you die!  No! cries Magda.  Are you surprised? demands Johnny.  I have the feeling there aren't too many surprises in King Johnny's court, says Magda--how am I going to die?  We will play a game, he says, called hunt the weasel--and you are the weasel.  Where will they hunt for me? she asks.  Wherever you go, says Johnny--wherever you CAN go--let her go, Istvan.  The latter exits the secret room, Magda following.  She asks Johnny, "You mean, you're going to let me go free?"  No trick, says Johnny, just a game.  What if I hide and you can't find me? she asks.  Then you win the game--you are free, says Johnny--and if I find you--you're dead!  How much time before they come after me? asks Magda.  You'll find that out later, he promises--now run, Magda, run--the game is about to begin.  Thunder rolls.  Magda leaves the mausoleum and races off, King Johnny watching, laughing uproariously.

Magda runs to the woods, looking around for her pursuants.  Back in the tomb, Johnny and the jury look at a candle.  "Now it's time for us to play the game," he says, blowing out the candle.  The murderous gypsies follow him.  The storm rages around Magda.  To her horror, one of the ghosts appears before her.  She lights a match and orders Sergio back to hell where he belongs--you don't belong here, your crime is best kept in the dark; when this light goes out, go back to the darkness.  Sergio is enveloped in bright light, and, screaming, disappears (even though Magda's match went out way too soon).  She's thrilled and relieved--I got rid of him!  She stands there, breathing heavily, but hears Johnny's laughter--"but you ain't got rid of me," he tells her.  She calls to him, asking, where are you? but he reminds her the game is to find YOU, not me--I like the way you got rid of Sergio--if you gets rid of the others, perhaps you'll win--get moving, Magda, he orders, got to keep the game going until it's over.  She picks up her skirts and runs off.  In the cemetery, she wanders amongst the tombstones, breathing hard.  She realizes to her dismay that she's been running in a circle and is now backed like a rat in a trap--she must hide somewhere.  She turns and sees another ghost, and another.  "If I only knew how you died," she wails, "maybe I would know how to banish you, but I don't know nothing...nothing, and there ain't nothing but death for me!"
The ghosts close in on the sobbing woman as she hangs her head and cries.  Then she stops, holding out her hand.  "In the name of gypsy women who wept for you," she intones, "I know your crime, I order you to go back to sleep without ending, back to death before the tears are dry on my cheek, go walk the earth no more!"  She cries, patting the tears on her face, and all the ghosts disappear.  She hears Johnny's laughter and is hysterical, begging him, stop the game, it isn't a game--stop it!  Keep going, running, he orders, the game isn't over--I'll tell you when it is!  She runs off.  Johnny appears where she was just standing, laughing and laughing.

Magda, breathless, stands on Widows' Hill.  Sandor appears, calling her name.  She reaches out to him.  Sandor, help me, she begs. I've come to help you, to take you back with me, he says.  No, I can't go back with you, she protests--"You're dead!"  You've got to, he insists, there's no other place I can hide you where you won't be found.  "No," she sobs, "I don't want to die!"  I miss you, he says--we should be together.
He reaches out to her.  You belong to the dead, sobs Magda, bending down to take a handful of earth in her hand.  Holding it, she says, "Oh, death, who makes the earth grow, bear witness that this spirit may no longer walk the earth, guide his spirit back to the dead."  Sandor disappears.  Magda finds herself alone with Johnny and Istvan.  Congratulations on getting rid of Sandor--of all of them--praises Johnny, but you haven't gotten rid of me, and there is nothing you can do about either me or Istvan.  She moves closer to the edge of the cliff.  Johnny takes out a knife and asks, are you sure you want to go that way?--it's a long way down--all right, the game is over, and you lost.  He approaches her, grinning, threatening her with the knife, moving closer and closer...

NOTES:  Poor Magda!  That kangaroo count reminded me a great deal of Barnabas' going on trial by a jury of those he killed as a vampire, including Nathan Forbes and the dock whores he feasted on.  It seems unfair that she so cleverly got rid of the ghostly motley crew only to end up on Widows' Hill with Johnny on one side and the cliff on the other.  Will someone save her?  I can't help but wonder if this is the way gypsies really conducted their business--seems pretty dog eat dog and cruel.

827 - Another Fridian intro!

Caught between Widows' Hill and Johnny and his deadly knife, Magda doesn't know which way she wants to die.

Johnny asks her which it will be--the rocks down there or my knife?  He grabs her just as she's about to launch herself over the cliff.  "Let her go!" demands a familiar voice--Barnabas!  Johnny sends Istvan after the vampire, but he's immediately subdued by Barnabas' hypnotic stare.  Barnabas threatens to show him some stuff--if you don't let Magda go now--you won't like it.  Johnny refuses.  Barnabas locks eyes with Istvan.
Johnny realizes Barnabas has put a spell on Istvan, but insists, "I can take it off."  Istvan heads toward the cliff's edge, Johnny calling, "Come back!"  Istvan stumbles as he stands on the rock ledge, then tumbles over, his muffled screams echoing along with the thunder.  Magda and Johnny are horrified.  "Now, let Magda go or I will send you after Istvan," says Barnabas quietly.  This is Barnabas Collins, the one you found in the tomb, says Johnny--you won't send me nowhere, he says, holding out a cross as Magda gasps--  "You ain't got no power over King Johnny."--you can't even come close as long as I'm holding the cross.  He threatens to send Magda over the cliff with Istvan.  Barnabas, back turned, warns him, if you do that, you will never bring the hand of Count Petofi back to your people.  "You brought it to him," accuses Johnny--"You helped her kill Julianka!"  No, says Barnabas, but I know who did kill Julianka and also has the hand--he's only a few miles from here--let Magda go, promise she is completely free, and you will get the information.  How do I know I can trust you, help me get the hand back? asks Johnny.  The hand has caused a great deal of pain and misery for all who've touched it, says Barn--it belongs to the gypsies, and I'm sorry Magda ever brought it.  You've told me what's in it for the gypsies, says Johnny--what's in it for you, Mr. Barnabas? The man who has the hand now has caused great unhappiness for my family, continues Barnabas--I want you to take the hand from him--take those powers away--the choice is yours--kill her or get back the hand.
Magda assures Johnny that Barnabas is telling the truth, he can help you--put the cross away!  Johnny slowly lowers the cross.  Barnabas turns and looks at him.

Old House - Magda opens the front door and lets Johnny and Barnabas in.  The house is empty, she assures them.  We must be cautious, says Barn, my safety is in doubt because of the man who has the hand.  Johnny says I forgive everything, just tell me who has it.  You might find it difficult to believe, says Barnabas, but the hand is again with Count Petofi.  And he's here in this place, asks Johnny?  Yes, says Barnabas.  So, I will finally see him, says Johnny--the owner of that hated crest!  His crest was on Julianka's forehead when I found her dead, reveals Barnabas.  Petofi killed Julianka? asks Johnny, and turns to Magda.  He put a spell on me, she says, so I couldn't say anything, betray him.  Johnny vows, Petofi won't put anymore spells on MY gypsies, or kill anymore of them, either.  Barnabas warns, it's dangerous to go after Petofi alone.  It isn't dangerous for ME, boasts Johnny--I can't tell you why, but Count Petofi will know--where can I find him?  A few miles from here, says Barnabas, who asks for one last condition--that you use the hand on Quentin Collins.  Johnny protests--I can only use it on gypsies.  Barnabas points out--Quentin married a gypsy, his children are part gypsy--you'll be using it against your own people if you don't cure Quentin..
Magda listens anxiously.  Johnny agrees, I haven't time, there's more important things to do--there is something that must be done, and it takes time.  He leaves the house, ordering them, wait for me.

Barnabas paces the living room.  Magda sits on the sofa, watching him.  Thunder booms.  Johnny's been gone a long time, frets Barnabas--are you sure you didn't tell him where to find Petofi?  How could I, after what Petofi did to me? asks Magda.  I don't understand it at all, says Barnabas.  There's a knock at the door and Magda and Barnabas exchanges glances before the vampire goes to hide in the back.  Magda asks who it is.  King Johnny, dressed in a very fancy velvet ceremonial robe.  He twirls around so Magda could admire it.  Johnny asks for Barnabas, who comes out.  You thought I tricked you when I ran off, says Johnny, tell the truth, that'[s what you thought.  Yes, says Barnabas.  I promised to cure Quentin, says Johnny, and I will--have him here by dawn.  I will do that, promises Barnabas but I can't be there myself.  Where is Petofi, asks Johnny.  Barnabas tells him about the abandoned mill.  I will find it, says Johnny--yes, and take care of things as soon as I take care of Petofi.  He pulls out the Golden Scimitar of the Romana tribe.  A hundred years ago, says Magda, it severed Petofi's hand from his wrist--it has always been sacred to the gypsies.  Tonight, it will be more sacred, says Johnny.  "So that's how you're going to get it back," says Barnabas.  It's going to do more than that, Johnny assures him--much more with me behind it.  Barnabas asks for an explanation.  You want to know too many gypsy secrets, says Johnny--just leave it to me.  He returns the scimitar to its sheath.  What if you don't find Petofi? asks Magda--I fear he's too smart to just sit and wait for the gypsies to find him--suppose he is gone? she asks Barnabas.

Mill - Johnny walks downstairs in his gorgeous velvet and fur robe.  No one appears to be home.  He ain't here, says Johnny.  He looks at a book opened on a table and picks it up.  The history of the Collinses.  We see Petofi's ruby-beringed hand curl around King Johnny's throat!  The gypsy struggles, gasping for breath.

Johnny struggles in Petofi's grasp, and succeeds in pushing Petofi's hand away from his throat.  Am I what you expected? Asks Johnny--and you WERE expecting me, weren't you?  Petofi nurses his hurt wrist.  Every time you killed a gypsy, you were expecting me, says Johnny.  I had no idea what you'd be like, says Petofi.  So every gypsy filled you with terror, deduces Johnny, for any one of them could have been me--the greatest, most magnificent!--there was no way of telling, was there?--was there?  No, admits Petofi, clearly scared.  So I'm not a disappointment, says Johnny--I am worthy of Petofi.  The latter picks up a knife.  "Put that down!" demands Johnny.  Petofi obeys.  (What is the source of the gypsy's power?)  It won't do you any good and you know it, says Johnny.  "I was so close to escaping you forever," boasts Petofi.  That's all over now, says Johnny, there is no escape for you now--to me and all the other gypsies, you were was a legend, until my grandfather Mateo died--nine days later, I had a dream, as my uncle Zago had, telling me that I was now the keeper of the hand--he told me that I was the only gypsy in the world that Count Petofi had no power over--"and you do fear me, don't you?"  Yes, admits Petofi, I do fear you.  Tell me why, says Johnny.  Because you are the one gypsy in the world I have no power over, says Petofi.  The one gypsy who has power over YOU, says Johnny.  Petofi begs to be allowed to talk for five minutes.  "My name is KING Johnny!" he reminds Petofi.  I won't call you, insists Petofi, you're no king--a king doesn't wear tawdry robes or have bits of glass and tinsel ornaments, bright handkerchiefs--a real king has rubies, diamonds, the real thing, furs, beautiful women to wrap them around, his palace is full of treasure he can't even count--and I can make all that real for you--the hand will give it to you, and you know its true power--the gypsies don't, and can't gain from it as I can.
You think King Johnny is a fool? asks the gypsy--do you think I'd leave this room with my pockets stuffed with diamonds, and that hand still with you, roaming the same earth as the gypsies?--I wouldn't give up that hand for all the treasure in the world.  But we won't be roaming the same earth, says Petofi--I have a friend with exceptional powers, to a time almost 75 years from now--with that much distance between us, we will never meet again--it will all be over between Petofi and the gypsies when Barnabas Collins takes me to the future!  Johnny laughs--Barnabas Collins isn't your friend, nor is he taking you to the future--he told me where I could find you, and the hand.  Petofi, sits down, cradling his hand, and asks, what are you going to do?  You know, says Johnny--what was done to you 100 years ago.  "Take. . .my hand," says Petofi in a sickened voice--is there no hope, no mercy? he cries.  The same mercy you showed slaughtered gypsies in the Forest of Oshden, says Johnny--the same mercy you showed any gypsy unfortunate enough to cross your path--that is the mercy I will show you!  Then there's nothing more to be said, says Petofi.  Only this, says Johnny, drawing out the scimitar.  "How the knife gleamed when it came close to my hand," says Petofi--"The agony as it was severed from my wrist!--it was 100 years ago and I still remember!--I don't want to remember!"  This time you won't have to remember for long, says Johnny--"I am going to cut off your hand, Count Petofi, it will happen like it did 100 years ago."--there will be one difference--after I've taken the hand, I'm going to take your life, and there's no way you can stop me.  Petofi stares at him, totally fear-stricken and seemingly helpless for the first time.

Magda looks out the window, nervous, fretting--why isn't Johnny here?--what if Petofi is gone?  I don't think so, says Barnabas--Petofi went to a great deal of trouble having that false hand created, setting you up as scapegoat--I thinks he wants to stay here for some time--Johnny will succeed in his mission, Barnabas assures her, so why don't you go to Collinwood, get Quentin, and wait for Johnny--I think this will be the most important day of all our lives!

I've waited for this moment a long, long time Johnny tells Petofi.   The latter, sitting in a chair, suggests, you have waited TOO long--think of yourself instead, what you could gain if you let me go--you're sensible, we both are, there must be some arrangement we could make--I could give you things beyond your expectations, beyond your dreams!  What I want, I'm going to take, says Johnny--right now--I don't need any arrangement to do it--"Nine sacred candles, all burning."  We see nine candles lit before him.  "All ready!"  He pulls out the sword.  "Mateo, Zarco, all you of the Romano tribe who bore the honor and the glory and the power to stand up against our hated enemy, wherever you are, see this moment and make it your triumph, too.  King Johnny Romana, of all the men of his tribe, has found Petofi!--King Johnny Romana alone is going to do what must be done!"  He takes the scimitar and walks over to the terrified Petofi, whose arm rests on the chair's armrest.  Petofi's eyes widen to the size of robin's eggs as, overcome with terror, he watches King Johnny raise the scimitar high above his hand!

NOTES:  Whew!  Is Petofi going to lose his hand again, now that he's finally gotten it back?  Wasn't Barnabas' saving Magda wonderful, cementing the weird friendship they've developed over all this time?  Neat that Johnny has this ability to withstand Petofi's power.  You could see how fearful the Count was, and now we know why he's been so afraid of this pursuer for all these years.

Love, Robin