Author Topic: Robservations 2/24/03 - #823_4/825  (Read 1646 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 2/24/03 - #823_4/825
« on: February 23, 2003, 01:56:43 PM »
823_824  - Magda makes her way to Collinwood, banging on the door, begging to be let in.  Someone puts a hand on her shoulder and, terrified, she turns around to see who it is...

It's only Quentin.  What's the matter? he asks.  I didn't hear anyone--except HIM, she says, and breathlessly asks, let me inside.  He has to support the exhausted, trembling woman.  It's so cold out there, like death, she says.  He helps her to sit by the fire, shuts the window and offers her a brandy.  It isn't just the cold, it's King Johnny, she says, he came for me--we were at the campsite, and I ran away--he was taking me to Boston, to see the others in the tribe.  Why didn't you tell me Petofi had the hand? demands Q.  Magda drinks the brandy with gusto.  Johnny found a hand at the Old House, created by Petofi, Magda explains--they think it was I who tricked them, not Petofi.
You must tell them, says Quentin, your life depends on it.  I can't! she sobs.  Quentin figures out Petofi put a spell on her to prevent her speaking of it.  "You can tell them," says Magda eagerly--tell them where the hand is.  They would love that, he agrees--finding Petofi and the hand, joined together--where is Johnny now?  At the edge of Birch Lake, she says.  There just might be a way to free Barnabas yet, says Q--it might just work.  He smiles.  Relax, he says--we may all be out of trouble very soon.  He closes the double doors.  On the landing, Charity calls to him, but he disappears through the servants' entrance.  Charity follows him.

Magda paces the drawing room, holding the brandy glass in both hands.  I'm safe here, she assures herself, I'm safe!  She doesn't look convinced, however.

Beth is in her room when Quentin knocks.  For once, nothing is the matter, he says, things might be going our way--the stubborn Count Petofi might realize he must free Barnabas or face a very unpleasant future.  When Barnabas is free, he'll be very angry at me for turning away from him when he needed me, worries Beth.  Now look, he says--Barnabas knows what Petofi can do to people, he won't be angry.  (Outside the door, Charity listens in.)  I'm still afraid, says Beth.  "Barnabas is our only hope for help if there is to be any help at all," says Quentin, and you must help him free him, for all our sakes.
After he caresses her face and throat, using Q magic, she agrees.  They kiss, quite passionately.  Charity, gazing through the partly open door to witness this long, long buss, is infuriated.

In Beth's room, Quentin quickly writes a note.  Do you know what to do if I don't return by one? He asks.  Yes, she says, but I don't like it--I'm so afraid something will happen to you.  He hands her the note.  It's a chance I'll have to take, says Q, keep your eye on the clock--and take care of Magda--give her food and rest, and don't let her out of the house.  Beth understands everything.  He leaves.  She looks at the note and puts it on her dresser.  It's 11:25.

Drawing room - Magda is still putting away the brandy.  She hears a noise and opens the window to peer out (foolish!)  The doors open--it's Beth--I'll look after you, she promises the gypsy--I'll take you to the kitchen to get something to eat.  Magda is very upset to hear Quentin went to see Petofi.  Oh, why? asks Magda--that crazy man!--he should have done what I suggested and let the gypsies take care of what needs taking care of.  They head into the kitchen.  Beth notices it's now 11:30.

11:45 - Petofi conducts music from a book, hearing the instruments in his head.  I'm delighted to see you, he tells Quentin--this score, Berlioz, is held in Italy--I hope to conduct it someday.  They agree that Italy is beautiful.  Tuscany, the Campagna, I expect to go back there as soon as I can, says Petofi.  This might be your perfect chance to travel to those places, suggests Quentin, now that you aren't going to the future--you may also find you want to move very far from Collinwood when you learn the reason I'm here--"To get Barnabas Collins," says Q, "and you're going to give him to me."  As simple as that? asks Petofi.  I'm sure you want to think it over, says Q, but consider the alternative--you have until 12:45.  What is the alternative? asks Petofi.  "The gypsies will find out exactly where you are, and exactly what you have," promises Quentin.  The gypsies learned nothing from Magda, normally a very talkative lady, Petofi reminds him.  Quentin grins.  What will prevent me from doing to you what I did to Magda? asks the Count.  A very good reason, says Q--if I'm not back at Collinwood at precisely one o'clock, someone is prepared to deliver a note to King Johnny with the whole story.  Congratulations on a good try, praises Petofi, but it won't work--I can easily stop it, all I need to do is find out from you who the person is who has the note and intercept that person--I realizes you're going to try to pit your will against mine, but please don't try, you'll be wasting your time--I can make you tell me who has the note, very easily, at this moment...he points the hand in Q's direction.  The latter moves away and says I'll be glad to reveal who my accomplice is--Angelique.  Uh oh, says Petofi.
Yes, I chose Angelique because there is nothing you can do to influence her mind, nothing you can do but accept my offer and free Barnabas in exchange for your own freedom from the gypsies, says Q.  You're a brave man, says Petofi, but I advise you to leave this place at once.  Not without Barnabas, insists Quentin.  Yes, without him, says Petofi, because if you stay, I may very well decide to kill you.  "And you may very well decide to give me Barnabas," counters Q.  Are you willing to wager your life on that possibility? asks Petofi.  I am, says Q.  Very well, says Petofi, smoke a cigar, have some brandy, there are a great many things we can do together--a great many things, and any one of them may be the very last thing you ever do in this world.  He hands him a drink.  It's midnight...

Charity stands on the landing, her pretty music tinkling in the background.  She tells herself, I really never was a headliner, with no one to blame but myself.  She flounces downstairs.  When push came to shove I was just too soft, but I'm not going to be soft now, unless I'm ready to lose Quentin the way I lost Carl.  She admires her reflection in the mirror--I'm far prettier than that whiney little item under the stairs--she won't be whining much longer, and what a relief that will be for Quentin!  She grins and enters the drawing room, taking a small bottle from her dress and arranging some glasses--it's going to be a happy surprise for Quentin, finding Beth Chavez is dead!  She closes the doors and locks them.  It's 1:15.

Petofi and Quentin sit side by side.  Q refuses another drink.  I could kill you in quite a number of other ways, besides poisoning your drink, says Petofi.  Agreed, says Quentin, but the gypsies will still find you.

12:20 - Beth paces her room, clutching the note.  Charity comes to see her.  I couldn't sleep, says Charity, I needed company.  I have some things to do, says Beth--this isn't a good night.  Charity seats herself at Beth's desk, promising to be as quiet as Miss Mouse.  Beth asks, are you all right?   I'm fine, says Charity--I just needed your company to perk up my spirits--let's sneak downstairs for a brandy.  I'm going to find your father, says Beth.  "Find me father?  That's more than my mother ever did when she needed him!" chortles Charity (LOL!)--come with me!  Before heading downstairs with the other woman, Beth takes the letter first and puts it in her pocket.

Petofi pours himself another drink, then another.  They don't exchange a word.  Quentin looks at the clock.

Why did you lock the door? Beth asks Charity.  The servants have light fingers, Charity replies--oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it personally!--I don't think of you as a servant; if I did, would I be drinking with you, swapping secrets?  Charity pours out the drinks, adding the poison to Beth's.  In have no secrets, says Beth.  I know you're supposed to meet Quentin, says Charity.  No I'm not, says Beth.  Then there's no reason for you not to have this drink, blares Charity, mixing the poison into the drink.  There is a reason, says Beth--I promised Quentin I'd do something for him. Charity laughs--I have something to do for Quentin tonight, too, and you'll find out what in time.  She hands Beth the drink.  Beth hears the clock striking and stops with it poised at her lips.

We see the clock twirling around in Petofi's hideaway.  Quentin looks at Petofi, who is still drinking.  Five minutes are left, says Q, and after that, too late for me to get back to Collinwood--  Angelique will go to King Johnny, King Johnny will come here (Petofi takes out a cigar), and the gypsies will find you.  But I shall have moved on, says Petofi.  You can't move far enough to avoid them, especially now that they know what they're looking for, says Q.  "I could kill you a dozen times over in five minutes," spits Petofi.  "Go ahead!" challenges Q--"If you think that will do you any good."

Charity encourages Beth to finish her drink--then we can have another.  Nervously, Beth says, I can't finish it, I must go.  "There's always time for a drink, Luv," insists Charity.  Beth hands her the glass--it's too late, she says.  Charity hands it back--the last few drops always taste the best.  Beth is about to drink when Charity stops her.  I'm superstitious, she says--I like to drink to someone--to Quentin--do you object to drinking to that?  Beth raises her glass--to Quentin--and finishes off the poisoned drink.
Charity looks very pleased.  Beth starts to say, "I must go," but passes out instead.  Charity walks around her and says, "Quentin loves ME, Luv, not you, that's why I had to do it, that's why I had to get rid of you, I had to do it for Quentin!"  She drapes her crimson shawl over Beth's face, then, singing, "I Wanna Dance For You," leaves the dying woman on the floor.

NOTES:  Quentin was very clever in telling Petofi he gave the note to Angelique, but I sure wish he HAD given it to the witch instead of Beth who now lies near death's door, poisoned by a madwoman who has a warped idea of what love is.  Loved that long, passionate kiss Beth and Quentin shared, didn't it just seem to go on and on?  Bet Terry Crawford was thrilled!

Charity's image of Trask's death is very interesting.  A rope?  For those of us who know how it does end, does anyone recall a rope?

Loved the tension drawing out between Petofi and Quentin!  It was wonderful, with all the shots of clocks the two of them not speaking, just looking at each other to see who would call whose bluff.  You know how much Petofi fears the gypsies, so this must be driving him nuts.  Quentin remains cool, with his humor intact, but surely he is nervous, too.  If he knew what had happened to Beth, he'd REALLY be worried!

Excellent episode--I sure loved Nancy Barrett's jealous, scheming, insane Pasny/Charity!

825 - Magda walks into the drawing room and gasps when she spots the unconscious Beth.  She checks her pulse, smells the empty glass and runs from the room.

At Petofi's hideaway, Petofi and Quentin still sit, waiting for one to call the other's bluff.  You have two minutes, says Q--will you release Barnabas?  I gave you the answer an hour ago--no.  Have you ever had any dealings with Angelique? Queries Quentin.  As few as possible, says Petofi.  I think it would be interesting to pit your powers against hers, says Q--she's aware of exactly what's going on in this room at that moment, and if you don't release Barnabas by one, she will see to it that King Johnny knows exactly where to find you.  Petofi considers this, takes a puff on his cigar, says nothing.  Quentin sits down next to him.  It's one minute to one...

Quentin taps his fingers on his knee.  Petofi takes another drink.  Sixty seconds, says Q--are you going to release Barnabas to me?  Petofi asks, why do you need him--are you going to the future, too?  No, says Q, if that's your intent, I don't share it--my future is limited by the moon, and without Barnabas, I have no hope.  You're a fool, says Petofi--I told you I'd already dealt with your curse.  Prove it--in 30 seconds, suggests Quentin.  How can I? asks Petofi.  Yes, how can you indeed? asks Q, and how can I believe you?  If you won't accept my word, it's impossible, says Petofi, swilling down the last of his drink--even if I offered to cure you tonight and go through some contrived ceremony, would you believe me?  No, says Q.  I don't want the gypsies to come here, says Petofi.  Why are you so afraid, with the powers you have? asks Q.  Count Petofi explains, the Romanos took my hand, 100 years ago, the grinning Nicholas Romano took my severed hand in his, staring at me--I was still conscious despite the pain, and looked into Romano's face with all my power and pride I'd ever had to take away that smile and make him feel the pain I felt.  "Do you know how I hate each generation of those Romanos, every male child born to them?" snarls Petofi.  Ten seconds, says Quentin--five!  The clock strikes one.  STOP! screams Petofi, you can have Barnabas Collins!  Quentin demands the key to the coffin.  Petofi hands it over.  Quentin enters the second room.

Beth lies on her bed.  Do you feel better? Magda asks her.  If you hadn't come into the room, I would be dead, says Beth--what time is it--I must know the time!  She sees her clock has stopped, and asks, how long was I unconscious?  I don't know, says Magda.  Quentin is depending on me, Beth wails--oh, my God, he may be dead!  She moves to leave, to find out what time it is, but Magda urges her to stay.  If anything's happened to Quentin, I'll kill myself, sobs Beth.  I didn't give you gypsy herbs for that, says Magda.  (Wonder how she knew what to give her?)  She urges Beth to sit back down on the bed and leaves the room.

Quentin unlocks the coffin.  Before he raises the lid, Petofi asks, may I leave the room before you free Barnabas--I don't want the vampire to witness my humiliation.  Petofi leaves, closing the door behind him.  Quentin opens the coffin.  Barnabas looks up at him helplessly.  Quentin removes the cross--Petofi is letting you go, he says.
Barnabas hoarsely asks what trick Petofi is playing.  It's no trick, says Q, but you're still not out of danger--hurry!

Magda reports to Beth, it's five minutes past one.  He's dead! Beth cries.
This shocks Magda.  Beth wants to immediately go to King Johnny.  Magda grabs her, preventing her from leaving.  You must stay here, insists Magda, urging Beth back to the bed.

Petofi tells Barnabas, I enjoyed your visit--one seldom has a visitor from another time.  I'm ready to go, Barnabas tells his cousin.  I will see you again, promises Petofi, so we can discuss my trip to the future.  Nothing to discuss, demurs Barnabas.  We shall see, promises Petofi--before you go, there will be nothing said to Johnny Romano, right?  You can rely on my word, says Q.  That's why I like you, says the Count.  He leaves the gentlemen to their newfound freedom--until, he tells Barnabas, we meet again and your friends cannot rescue you.  Petofi lifts a glass to the departing Barnabas and Quentin, drains his drink, then crushes the glass in his hand in anger and impotence.

Tate shows up at Petofi's lair, in a crazed state.  It's all about Amanda.  You're the one who told me about her, accuses Tate--and you told me I would come to you after seeing her.  I'm in a state of unease, says Petofi--come back tomorrow.  So you're gonna play games with me, not tell me anything? snarls Charles--if not for you, I'd never have known that girl existed!  You knew, says Petofi.  No, says Charles.  You painted her portrait two years ago, and a thousand sketches, Petofi reminds him--I had to take one.  He pulls it out and unrolls it.
The resemblance is remarkable, says P--you have a great talent, Charles.  He rolls it back up and hands it to Tate.  Never to touch one of my sketches again, warns Tate.  You must be calm, insists Petofi, or how can we logically discuss this?  There's no logic here, says Charles--I dreamed this girl up!--and she did not exist.  She does exist, you proved it, says Petofi, she's at the Inn at this moment.  Tate asks, how did you find her?  Aristede saw her first, says P, and he has quite an eye for beauty.  What do you know about her? asks Charles.  Only that she travels with Timothy Shaw, who had the use of my hand for a short time--Shaw used my hand to make a great deal of money, and the young lady is very fond of money--I advise you to set a higher price for your paintings.  Where is she from? asks Tate.  New York, answers Petofi--you must have met her there, saw her on the street?  No, if I had, says Tate, I'd have followed her and wouldn't have given up until I had a chance to know her.  I doubt you will be happy when you do get to know her, says Petofi--the lady's face has innocence, but she, alas, has not.  You know more than you're saying, says Charles.  She'll do anything Tim Shaw asks her to, says Petofi, and he's the kind of man who will ask her to do some questionable things.  I don't believe you, says Tate.  You'll find out for yourself, promises Petofi.  Yes, I will, says Charles, now that I know she exists, I can't forget her, and if it makes you feel any worse, I wouldn't forget her even if I could.  Petofi smiles.  (a master manipulator, probably does stuff like this just to see what will happen.  It must get boring, living so long!)

Beth tells Magda, Charity poisoned me, only she was so strange, she didn't act like Charity--she's in love with Quentin, and jealous.  I'll take care of it, Magda promises--I'll go find Charity, she believes in the cards--I will tell her that she will marry Quentin.  Don't even to say that jokingly, cautions Beth.  I'll tell her if she hurts you, something terrible will happen--don't take the note to King Johnny.  I feel so weak, says Beth.  Quentin is all right, Magda assures her--I would know it if something was wrong--he's all right!  The gypsy leaves Beth's room.  Waiting in the hall is Istvan, who immediately grabs her and plants his huge hand over her mouth.

Barnabas and Quentin walk together through the woods.  Will you be safe in your hiding place? asks Quentin, till tomorrow, at least--I'll be there at dawn and stay until dusk--now if only Beth hasn't gone to King Johnny.  How curious, says Barn, that you'd keep your word with a man like Petofi.  Wouldn't you, asks Q?  If he were to leave this earth, says Barn, we'd have lost nothing--I want to go to Collinwood and find out how Jamison is--dare I?  It's very late, says Q--Beth's room should be safe.  I still can't disappear as I could before, Barnabas reminds him--as long as I have the mark of Count Petofi--and he holds out his hand.  Come along, says Q, Jamison may need us.

Beth is struggling toward the door, note in hand, when Quentin comes in.  She's thrilled to see him, and he's glad she didn't go to Johnny.  He notes something is wrong.  Nothing is, not now, sue assures him, and almost falls.  Is anyone is still awake? Asks Quentin.  Magda, and Charity, somewhere, she says.  I've got Barnabas outside, he tells her, can we safely get into your room without being seen?  Yes, I'll go make sure it's safe, she says.  Quentin opens the door and motions for Barn to come in.  He does, slowly, gazing around the dark foyer--will I ever be able to walk through this house again? he asks himself--I could accomplish so much more if I were able to be accepted...I must do something!  He enters the servants' quarters.

Beth is telling Quentin how intolerable this house has become--Charity, Jamison...I could tell you Jamison is better, but he isn't--he still thinks he's David, but there's no doing anything, for him, Edward or Charity.  Should we wake Jamison so Barnabas can talk to him? asks Q.  Not with Charity roaming the halls, advises Beth.  What about Magda--how long has she been gone? He asks--I'll go look for her, Charity may decide to kill her, too--Barnabas says he'll stay here until I come back.  Left alone with Barnabas, Beth is uncomfortable.  You must hate me, she says, for failing you.  No, he assures her, I summoned you, but Petofi prevented you from coming to me, I don't blame you--I misused you, says Barnabas, ashamed--you belong to Quentin.  I will never use what powers I have to summon you again.

Quentin leaves the servants' quarters and goes into the drawing room, calling for Magda.

Woods - Magda begs Istvan, take pity on me.  He ties her hands behind her back.  Do you hate your brothers for cutting off your tongue? She asks.  Istvan just gazes at her balefully.  Untie me, I'll hide you, she says--my friends will take you anywhere you want to go, you will be safe--anything you want to do, my friends will do for you.  He finishes tying her up, then gags her.  We hear the sound of someone walking toward them.
Magda's eyes widen as someone comes into view holding a lantern.  Is it friend or foe?

NOTES:  Very tense moments as the Petofi/Quentin waiting game comes down to the wire.  Luckily, Petofi's fear of the gypsies won out, and he freed Barnabas, although you could see how furious he was at being bested.  One senses he wants severe revenge against both of the Collins cousins at this point.  Fortunate indeed for Beth that Magda figured out the proper antidote to the poison Charity had administered via brandy.

Love, Robin

IluvBarnabas

Re: Robservations 2/24/03 - #823_4/825
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:42:43 AM »
I just watched these two episodes today....I have to offer my opinions on it.

[spoiler]I have to shake my head at Quentin today. While I admire how he was able to bluff Petofi into releasing Barnabas, why oh why is he so relieved to find that Beth didn't make it to the gypsies and that Petofi will go on living? Barnabas is right, they'd all be much better off if Petofi was out of the way. As long as he lives Petofi will remain a threat to both branches of the Collins family (1897 and 1969). Quentin's concern for Petofi's well-being really doesn't make sense considering the amount of grief the count as inflicted on the family. Unless deep down, Quentin has begun to believe Petofi really is the only one that can cure his curse. While Petofi does cure him with the portrait, the gypsies like King Johnny, who have knowledge of curses and cures, could have cured him too....and without turning him into a slave too.

I was really mad at Charity/Pansy for trying to kill Beth. I am surprised that the poison didn't work so fast....considering how badly Charity wanted to do away with Beth, I figured she'd have used a poison that would have done the job in a moment. Perhaps Charity overestimated how strong the poison would work in such a short time. But I really, really, REALLY want to smack some sense into that jealous, spirit-possessed mind of hers...killing Beth wouldn't have gotten her Quentin....more than likely it would have gotten her a life sentence in prison or a long stay at a mental institution.[/spoiler]