Author Topic: OT - MP3's  (Read 748 times)

Connie

OT - MP3's
« on: February 23, 2003, 10:47:31 AM »
Anyone with MP3 know how???

I've spent half the night figuring out the title of a song I heard on the radio the other day.  Spent the other half searching for an MP3 of it online.  I found it at Netscape music and it's on a "downloads and streams" page, but I don't know how to download it -- only listen to the stream (and the stream is complete).

What's the best way/place to find downloadable MP3 files??  Any suggestions?  I have no experience with this stuff.  Any help would be appreciated.   ;D

-CLC

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:OT - MP3's
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 04:25:09 PM »
Connie...bless you for starting this...I'll take it further:

WHAT IS EXACTLY AN MP3??? DO I PUT IT ON A CD ROM?

CAN I THEN PUT IT INTO A CD PLAYER AND HEAR A SONG FROM THE COMPUTER????

Patti

class of '82
What a Woman!

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re:OT - MP3's
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 10:54:12 PM »
An MP3 is a condensed compressed sound file usually taking up a very tiny amount of space on the harddrive.  Computers can usually play mp3 thru a built in player, and they can be stored [a buttload of songs on one disc - the entire Beatles catalog fits on one CD!]  But these mp3 discs cannot be played in regular CD players, like the one in most cars and homes. MP3 players are available, but that is indeed new hardware to buy.  What I do with MP3 is to record onto my harddrive as I am listening to the MP3 play.  Most computers come with some sort of recording software, so you will have to activate that software [and probably go thru a help/tutorial if you haven't used it before - but try it, its really neat when you learn it, and very easy after the first time], I use 'Cooledit 2000' - and you may have to change your playback/record control setting [accesories...entertainment...vol control...options...record...select 'wave out' mix]  If your computer does not have  recording software built in, you can download several free ones at 'netware' or 'shareware' or buy one for about 30 bucks [more flexable, and more complete, for boosting the eq, or for editing screaming drunk a$$holes out of live tapes, or commercials out of FM shows, etc.]  There are indeed ways to convert mp3 to a wav file so it can be burned to a CD, but to my ear, they always sound thin and 'downloaded' where the 'record as you listen' method takes longer, but sounds better.  In some cases it is as easy as changing the extension to .wav, some gotta be run thru a conversion program, also downloadable from the above.

Then of course you will need to use some kinda 'burning software' to actually put it on disc.  Easy CD Creator is, well, easy....I also use Sony Hotburn, more flexable, and easier menu hopping, at least for what I do  with live tapes and stuff.

There are many sources for mp3 out there, usually do a search for the band or song you are looking for and include mp3 in the search.  Most of the stuff I go for [again, live shows, not commercial stuff, as that puts poor musicians out of work!] is found in the binary group newsgroups or yahoo newsgroups.  Just like, what is it? alt.darkshadows.rec or something like that, there is alt.beatles.rec  rec.music.beatles  rec.bootlegs.alt  [all the bands/fans have their own newsgroups]  I really don't spend that much time surfing around there - If I started listening to everything I have already, I would be older than Barn by the time I got halfway thru, now!

Hope this helps get you started.

good hunting
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!