Author Topic: Robservations 2/17/03 - #813/814 - Petofi, Restored  (Read 1290 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 2/17/03 - #813/814 - Petofi, Restored
« on: February 16, 2003, 04:04:26 PM »
813 - (Black and white) - Nora unties the twine on the box and begins to remove the cloth.  She shakes the cardboard box, then opens it, lifting out the box.  She opens the box, and, disappointed, closes it and shakes it again, listening for what's inside.  Disappointed, she returns the wooden box to the cardboard box.

Aristede stands in the woods, smoking.  Jamison shows up.  I've been waiting over an hour, complains Aristede.  I must conserve my strength, insists Jamison, I was resting when you summoned me, and hope you have good reason for bringing me here.  I'm sure you'll be Pleased, promises Aristede.  Weakly, Jamison says, I only have a few hours left without the hand.  The hand is within ouir reach again, reports Aristede--I've seen Tim Shaw, who arrived this afternoon, with a woman--I followed them to the Inn where they are staying--Tim and the woman, Amanda Harris, arrived from NY this afternoon, together.  There's something about this I don't like, says Jamison--Tim knows how many people want to get their hands on the hand, and that he's in danger here--why was he fool enough to come back?  Not to worry, says Aristede, we should visit Shaw.  No, says Jamison, you can't believe it's that easy--Tim probably isn't as foolish as we think, and we can rest assured we won't find the hand at the Inn.  We could "persuade" Tim to tell us where it is, says Aristede, eyes sparkling at the chance to torture someone again.  No, says Jamison, I think your particular persuasion would work better on the lady friend--I will make sure Shaw doesn't disturb you in your efforts.

Collinsport Inn - Tim downs a drink at the restaurant.  Jamison comes over to him.  I'm shocked to see you here at this hour, says Tim.  I came into town with my father, lies Jamsion--he's across the street at a business meeting.  I thought you were sick, says Tim--then, remembering he can't speak of his meeting with Nora, says I called Collinwood--Nora told me that you had been ill.  I was for a few days, says Jamison, but I've begun to feel much better today.  They agree it's good to see each other.  Where have you been? queries Jamison.  New York, on business, says Tim.  You must have done very well, comments Jamison--you don't look like the teacher who used to teach school.  Jamison admires his clothes--they make you look rich.  A successful business deal, says Tim, sipping his drink.  Are you here to stay? asks Jamison.  Just to settle a few affairs, reveals Tim, then I'm leaving for good.  Too bad, says Jamsion, I hope you'll visit me at Collinwood before you leave.  I shall, Tim promises--I don't want to keep you.  My father isn't waiting, says Jamison--he told me to take my town.  He joins Tim at the table; the former teacher checks his watch.  Are you expecting someone? asks Jamison.  Yes, answers Tim, I am.  Is it somebody that you like? asks Jamison, sounding like a mischievous little boy.  Yes, admits Tim, I met her on the train from NY, charming and attractive. I guess you won't want me to stick around once she's here, says Jamison.  You're welcome to stay and meet her, says Tim, but I want to be alone with her afterwards.  "Yes, I understand," says Jamison.  Tim looks at him oddly.

When Amanda returns to her room.  Aristede grabs her from behind, covering her mouth with his hand.

Aristede drags Amanda backwards and turns on the light.  He draws out his Dancing Lady knife and warns her, if you make one sound, you're dead.  She agrees to keep quiet.  Who are you, she asks--what are you doing here?  All unimportant, says Aristede--but you must know what I'm doing here.  She denies that.  Tell me where it is, he demands, if you want to save yourself a lot of misery.  I don't know what you mean! she wails.  "The hand, Miss Harris, the hand!" he says.  She has no idea what he's talking about, and when she tells him so, he accuses her of lying and hits her, knocking her down.  I intend to get the information from you one way or another, he warns, so make it easy on yourself.  Holding her hurt cheek, Amanda suggests, you're a lunatic!  No, just very determined, he says--I came to get the hand of Count Petofi and I'm going to get it, even if I have to kill you--believe that!  I do, she says--tell me more about the hand--is it an ornament or piece of jewelry?  He looks at her strangely; it has suddenly occurred to him she might be telling the truth--perhaps Tim Shaw was intelligent enough not to tell you about the hand, he says.  He didn't, says Amanda quickly.  Toying with his knife, Aristede suggests, you can still be of use to me.  Go to Tim Shaw, says Amanda, he's got what you want.  Even if you never saw the hand itself, you must have seen the box it's carried in, says Aristede--an ornately carved brown box?  She shakes her head--no, I don't remember anything like that.
He holds the knife to her throat and suggests, check your memory again.  If I knew, I'd tell you, she sobs, but I don't, so why won't you leave me alone?  "I'm beginning to lose my patience, Miss Harris!" he warns.  There was a box in Tim's room earlier, she says.  Now you're being sensible, says Aristede.  It was an ordinary box wrapped in paper, says Amanda--Tim took it away.  Where did he take it? demands Aristede.  Crying, Amanda says, I don't know, I asked him where he was going, but he wouldn't say.  I think you're either extremely loyal or extremely foolish, opines Aristede.  I told you everything I know, insists Amanda.  Not everything, counters Aristede, "I want details--I want to know every deal Mr. Shaw made, every person he spoke to--and I advise you to remember it all, very clearly!"

I don't know when Aunt Judith will be out of the rest home, Jamison tells Tim--my father's been to see her, but says she's still pretty sick.  It appears that Trask has become quite the lord of the manor these days, remarks Tim.  Yes, says Jamison--Trask acts as if he owns Collinwood!  Enigmatically, Tim says, all things, good or evil, come to the same end.
Jamison asks, what do you mean by that?  Nothing, Tim says--just a stray thought off the top of my head.  Tim checks his watch again, concerned about Amanda--perhaps I should check the desk.  Aristede appears, commenting to Tim, I almost didn't know you with your new clothes.  Tim remembers Aristede--we met in the Blue Whale and I delivered a message for Quentin.  Yes, and then you disappeared suddenly, says Aristede--I'd wondered what happened to you.  Business, says Tim, out of town.  I assume it had nothing to do with delivering messages, jokes Aristede, and they laugh together, falsely.  If you're going to be in town for a while, says Aristede, perhaps we could get together for a drink--good night.  Aristede leaves.  Very strange man, observes Tim.  Who was he? Jamison asks--I never saw him before.  I met him only once, answers Tim, and I'm not sure I like him--excuse me, I must find Amanda.  I hope to see you at Collinwood, says Jamison.  Tim, putting on his top hat, promises, I will.  Jamison grins--business completed!

Tim lets himself into the room and finds Amanda unconscious on the floor.

Woods - Aristede and Jamison meet again.  The hand isn't at the Inn, reveals Aristede--not only did the lady not know where it was, she didn't even know about the hand.  Jamison is frustrated--we don't know anymore now than we did before.  Yes, we do, says Aristede, Tim took a carton out of the Inn this evening--he wouldn't tell Amanda what was in it or where he was taking it, he only said he was taking it to someone for safekeeping.  If only we can find out where he took it to, says Jamison.  There's one slight clue, says Aristede--Miss Harris says he took a locket from her which he said he was going to give as a gift--he promised to replace it n the morning.  Then we must assume he gave the locket as an inducement to keep the charm safely hidden, surmises Jamison--and it must be a woman--at Collinwood!  Tim Shaw made one mistake when he spoke to me, earlier, says Jamison--he claimed he spoke to Nora on the telephone, but I think he spoke to her in person, at Collinwood.  So we must go to Collinwood and speak to Nora, says Aristede excitedly.  No, says Jamison, you must stay right here; after all, I'm her brother, I think I can get her to tell me what I want to know.  They part company, both smiling.

Amanda lies in bed, regaining consciousness.  She reaches for Tim, who is sitting beside her.  Don't exhaust yourself, he urges, take it easy.  My head is pounding, she moans--when I came to the room, someone grabbed me from behind, someone I'd never seen before--he said he'd kill me if I didn't tell him what he wanted to know.  Tim apologizes--I thought they'd come after me, but never dreamed they'd target you.  Who are they? she asks--what is this strange hand they keep looking for?  I'll tell you everything as soon as you tell me what happened, he says.  I had no idea our lives would be in danger, or I never would have come, bitches Amanda.
I must know what the man looked like, insists Tim.  Thin, not very tall, wore a cape, had a strange, foreign-looking hat on, she says.  Aristede, guesses Tim immediately--I met him once, but know nothing about him--how much did you tell him? demands Tim, upset.  How much could I tell? he asks Shrilly--nothing he said made sense to me!  Good, says Tim, they'll be back, but not find the hand, not as well as I've hidden it.  "We can't stay in this town," says Amanda--we must get out.  No, we're perfectly safe, he assures her--as long as the hand is securely put away, we will stay until I accomplish what I set out to do!

Nora sleeps, Raggedy Ann at her side.  Jamison stealthily enters her room, closing the door.  He calls to Nora in a whisper, urging her to awaken.  She looks at him, surprised, and turns on her light.  What are you doing up so late? She asks.  I couldn't sleep, he says, I'm worried about something--why did Tim come to see you, and left without seeing me?  "Who said he came to see me?" asks Nora evasively.  He did, didn't he? asks Jamison.  Yes, she admits, but how did you know?  I peeked out of my room and saw Tim leaving, says Jamison.  "You mustn't tell anyone," cautions Nora--"he made me promise!"  It's just that he doesn't like me anymore, says Jamison, acting wounded.  No, says Nora--I told Tim you weren't feeling well and were resting.  I bet he saw everyone else in the whole house, except for me, accuses Jamison.  No, says Nora, I was the only one Tim saw.  Did he tell you that? asks Jamison.  Yes, she says.  I bet Tim saw Charity, or Beth, says Jamison. . .   He barely knows Beth, protests Nora, and he and Charity have never gotten along very well--he came specially to see me!  Wait until morning, says Jamison, I'm going to ask Beth and Charity.  "Even if he did come to see Beth and Charity," bursts out Nora, "I bet he didn't bring them a gift!"  This causes Jamison to stand stock still, silent for a moment.  "He brought you a gift?" asks Jamison, barely able to contain his excitement.  I want to see it, he insists.  I promised Tim I wouldn't show it to anyone, says Nora.  Craftily, Jamison says, you can't show anything you don't really have.  "I do SO have it!" she cries--it's in my dresser.  She takes out the locket and shows it to Jamison.  "What else did he give you?" demands Jamison, I know he gave you something else.  No, says Nora--I'm not lying to you!  "Yes you are--I can tell!" he says--somewhere in this room, he gave you a box and you've hidden it in this room.  No, she denies.  Tell me where it is, he insists.  I can't, she says, I made a solemn promise!  Jamison grabs her arm and twists it behind her back.  You're hurting me! she protests.
"I don't care," he says--"I don't want to hurt you, but I will unless you tell me where it is."  In agony, Nora asks, what's gotten into you?  Tell me where it is! orders Jamison.  "In my closet," she confesses, unable to take it anymore.  He releases her, then goes to her closet, where he finds the box on the bottom.  Nora nurses her painful arm.  He removes the twine and wrapping, opens the carton and takes out the wooden box.  He's beside himself with glee as he unlocks it and opens it.  He surveys the hand with joy, takes it.  "I've found it!" he says exultantly.  "At last, I've found it!"

NOTES:  And now that he's found it, what happens next?  Aristede does love to torture people to get information, doesn't he?  Donna McKechnie was never the world's greatest actress on DS, but she garnered all kinds of awards once her career fired up, and has done very well for herself.  She just managed to make a lot of folks really angry in DS fandom.

More superb performances from Henesy, and it was fun having Tim back, in his new guise as avenger.  What is his relationship with Amanda, anyway?  Friends, business acquaintances, lovers--or all in one?

I miss Barnabas!

814 - It's storming at Collinwood, inside and out.  Jamison hobbles downstairs, the box containing the hand tucked securely under his arm.  He's dying, weak, barely able to breathe.  No, he says, no, urging himself on.  He goes to the front door and leaves the house, not closing the door.  He seems terrified of the lightning.

Aristede speaks to Petofi in a room at the abandoned mill, promising him, I WILL bring it--can you hear me? he asks.  The huge man lies still, his face vulnerable without his glasses.  Jamison walks through the woods, clinging to trees, telling himself, I must get to him, I must.  Unable to continue, he drops the box containing the hand and falls to the ground, unconscious!

Quentin finds Jamison--what happened? he asks the child.  Jamison climbs to his feet, refusing to allow Q to help him.  "Take your hands off me!" cries Jamison.  What's in the box? asks Quentin.  Jamison claims it's a present for someone.  Who? demands Q.  It's none of your affair! says Jamison.  "You're my affair," cries Quentin--Jamison, you're not well.  Don't call me by that name! Commands Jamison--I'll be all right in a few seconds--the gift is a present for Nora.  Quentin grabs it from him and unwraps it--the hand.  He's exultant to have found it.  "Yes, it is the hand," says Jamison, falling to the ground again.

Aristede checks his watch, concerned that Jamison is taking so long.  Time--we have no time!--what if Jamison doesn't find the hand?--what will I do without Victor?--I'll have to think for myself (LOL--the horror!)  Aristede goes back into the room where Petofi lies, kneeling beside him, stroking his hair.

Cottage - Barnabas opens the box, revealing the hand.  We have it at last, he gloats.  Jamison lies on the sofa, Quentin tending to him.  I tried using the hand to make Jamison well, says Quentin, but nothing happened.  Barnabas also kneels beside Jamison and calls to the boy.  He won't answer to that name, says Quentin--he's still possessed.  Does Petofi mean him harm, wonders Barn--want him to be sick?--is this part of the plan?--we must get him to a doctor.  It won't do any good, says Quentin, it's all part of the spell--and we both know it.  Barnabas calls to Jamison, open your eyes if you hear me.  Jamison does.  "The hand," he boy says weakly.  We have it, says Barnabas.  Give it to me or I'll die, says Jamison.  Why must you die? asks Barn, why?  What started in the forest of Oshden will end in this drafty room, says Jamison--"You must give me the hand."  "You are dying, Count Petofi," states Barnabas.  Quentin says a warning, "Barnabas. . ."  Barn asks Jamison, do you think the hand will help you?  It will, says Jamison.  How? asks Barn.  Only I and the deadly gypsies know that, says Jamison--don't let me die.
He speaks to someone who isn't there: "Aristede, where is the boy?  Why hasn't the boy come with the hand yet?  Aristede, have they got him?  Are they keeping him somewhere with the hand?"  Barn and Quentin exchange glances.  Barnabas asks Jamison where Aristede is.  They have played their tricks, says Jamison, but they don't know how to use the hand--give it to me, don't let me die, he begs Barnabas.  Where is Aristede, queries Barnabas--I will take the hand to him.  "Barnabas..." warns Quentin.  "Tell me!" thunders Barnabas.  No, says Jamison, you will keep the hand, you want it for yourself.  You must trust me, says Barn, where is he? At the abandoned mill, reveals Jamison.  Where they had me--where you saved me, Quentin says.  Get the hand, please, whispers Jamison, passing out again.  Quentin observes how weak the boy is--you can't take the hand, says Quentin, it's my only chance.  And what of Jamison--what chance has he? demands Barnabas.  Angry now, Q says, if you give them the hand, they will just disappear, they don't care about Jamison.  Perhaps they do, counters Barnabas, a great deal, because Jamison IS Petofi now.  Petofi's dying too? asks Q.  No one has seen him since before Jamison became possessed, Barnabas reminds him--it's possible he used his last ounce of strength to possess the boy and is now lying somewhere, almost dead, and Jamison is merely doing what he is doing.  If Petofi dies. . .begins Quentin.  Then Jamison will die, too, says Barn grimly.  Barnabas leaves, sans the hand--I'll be back, he says--wait with Jamison.  Quentin kneels beside Jamison and takes his hand.

Petofi lies still, seemingly in a coma.  He moves his hand.  Aristede stops pacing and says, I'm going to Collinwood to find the boy, and bring back the hand--I promise!  Aristede starts to leave, but Barnabas has just entered the mill and is looking around.  Aristede opens the door between the two rooms and, spotting him, quietly closes it.  Aristede takes out a cross looped around his neck and goes out to greet Barnabas.  He sarcastically apologizes for the accommodations--we don't get visitors very often;  it's not what we are used to (presumably much grander quarters).  Barnabas insists on seeing Petofi.  He isn't here, says Aristede, pulling out his cross to hold Barnabas at bay--leave now.  Barnabas offers him another choice--the hand--I know where it is--*I* have it now!  Aristede's eyes widen.

You have brought us the hand because you know we have been searching for it, says Aristede sarcastically.  I'm serious, says Barnabas.  I'm not the fool you think I am, says Aristede--play your games somewhere else.  I got the hand from Jamison, reveals Barnabas.  Aristede puts the cross out of sight and pays attention.  Barnabas turns, able to face him, and says--I want to see and tell my story to Petofi--he is dying, isn't he?--"Your face admits it although you don't."
How do you know? asks Aristede.  Because Jamison is also dying, reveals Barnabas--give me one moment with Petofi.  It wouldn't do any good to see him, says Aristede, if you have the hand, give it to me, it can save them both!  Not until I have a promise from Petofi, says Barnabas.  He can't promise anything; sys Aristede--he can't speak, hasn't been able to speak since he possessed Jamison.  I must get a promise from Petofi, insists Barnabas--even a flicker of an eye or a hand raised that he will cure Quentin and end this reign of terror at Collinwood.  I will promise that, Aristede assures him.  I refuse to accept your word, says Barnabas--I want to talk to Petofi. You must trust me, says Aristede, or the child will die.  Barnabas thinks a moment and agrees--I'll get the hand.  Hurry, urges Aristede.  I know, says Barnabsa, and leaves.  Aristede looks worried.

Quentin kneels beside Jamison.  You've got to live, you've got to, begs Quentin--can you hear me?--can you?--listen, please--you're the only one I've ever loved, cared for in this whole place--you know that, don't you?--keep on trying, don't give in to it--please don't.  Barnabas returns and tells Quentin, I'm giving them the hand--Petofi is dying, too--Aristede has promised to end the curse if we end Petofi's first.  We can't trust either Aristede or Petofi, points out Quentin.  I can't let Jamison die, protests Barnabas--he will recover as Petofi does--stay with Jamison until he's well, says Barnabas, then come to the mill, and we will then force Petofi to cure you.  Barnabas scoops up the hand.  Petofi may cure himself, warns Quentin, then leave Collinwood before we can stop him.  I won't allow that, swears Barnabas, leaving the cottage again.  Quentin looks at Jamison.

Aristede tells Petofi that Barnabas is bringing the hand--you must stay alive until he comes.  He hears a door opening and closing.  Barnabas insists on giving the hand to Petofi himself.  Impossible, says Aristede, give it to me!  Reluctantly, Barnabas hands over the box.  Aristede opens it--wait here, he orders Barnabas--don't come after me into the room or you might affect what must happen.  Barnabas gives his word, unhappy about it.  I have the hand, Aristede tells Petofi.  He opens the box and takes it out, bringing it in both hands, as if it were a crown, to his master.  Aristede says, "Mighty hand that touched the face of the Sphinx, hand of infinite power come home at last, heal this man, force breath into his body, make his heart strong, for without you, he cannot live.  If he dies what was begun in the forest of Oshden will end, for his body is your body, and his mind is your mind, his life, your life!  Heal him!
He places the hand on top of Petofi's chest...

In the other room, Barnabas desperately waits.  Aristede comes out--I did what Petofi told me to do, says Aristede.  He knew he'd get the hand, says Barnabas.  Well, Aristede says, it's safe to say he hoped it would turn out in his hands (?)  He offers Barnabas some tea.  No, says Barn.   Ignoring him, Aristede pours a special blend of the finest Chinese leaves.  "I want no tea!" says Barnabas harshly.  Aristede tastes the tea, complaining, it's gotten a bit cold.  Barnabas asks, how can you sit sipping tea with what's going on with Petofi?  I can do nothing about it, says Aristede.  What IS happening? asks Barnabas.  I'm not isn't privy to all my master's secrets, says Aristede.  I've seen the hand work, seen it change people in an instant, says Barnabas.  The hand knows what it must do, says Aristede.  Barnabas, impatient, says, I'm going in there.  No, says Aristede, you won't, for Jamison's sake--"Just sit down and wait," advises Aristede, "it's all you can do now."  Barnabas sits.  He and Aristede stare at each other.

In the cottage, Quentin, looking out the window, hears Jamison moaning and immediately goes to him.  "Help me!" Jamison begs him.  How? asks Q.  The hand--why doesn't it move from my chest?  There's nothing on your chest, says Quentin.  Why is it still there, why is it where Aristede placed it? asks Jamison.  You must come to your senses, urges Quentin.  "Oh, hand, hand that was once mine, help me!" implores Jamison--"Before it is too late!"--has it lost its power?  Lie back and be quiet, says Quentin.  "Why doesn't it do as I say?" asks Jamison--why?  He lies back.

Aristede plays cards.  It's been an hour since you went into the room, says Barnabas.  I don't know how long it's supposed to take, says Aristede.  "Petofi has died, I know it," laments Barnabas.  "And if he has, Jamison has, too, and my mission here..."  Aristede asks exactly what that mission is--tell me about it, perhaps it will make the time go.  Never, says Barnabas.   Perhaps you'll change your mind, says Aristede.  One of us should go check on Petofi, insists Barnabas.  I have my orders, says Aristede--if you're so concerned, why don't you go to Jamison?

Quentin checks Jamison--almost no pulse at all--he's dying!--God, don't let them die; don't let that happen, please, he begs.

Aristede deals another hand.  Barnabas tries to go into the other room--one of us must! he cries!  I'll use force, if necessary, threatens Aristede--get away from the door.  "We haven't heard anything in over an hour," Barnabas says--"There is some plan here, have you given that hand to Petofi and he's disappeared, because if he has, I will kill you!"  Don't be so suspicious, cautions Aeistede.  "You have made me that way, says Barnabas--I am going in there."  No! says Aristede, grabbing him.  Barnabas pushes him down onto the sofa.  They both hear the cackling, triumphant laughter of Count Petofi.
"IT IS MINE!  It is mine again!" he cries, holding up the hand, which has been restored to his wrist!

NOTES:  What now?  Wasn't it funny, watching Aristede and Barnabas sitting there, waiting, waiting, Barnabas always wanting to check, Aristede ordering him not to?

Quentin's feelings for Jamison surely come through here--he loves the boy, even if he has used him wrongly in certain black arts rituals.  His tenderness showed how very much he could have loved his own son, if given the chance.

How hard it must be for Barnabas and Quentin to give the hand back to Petofi--he could very well flee and leave Quentin a werewolf, and could, if he wanted, kill Jamison, endangering the Collins family of the future (no Liz or Roger if there's no Jamison).

Convoluted, but so much fun to watch!

Love, Robin