Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0146  (Read 1313 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0146
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0146
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »
Laura looks positively insane as Elizabeth touches her shoulder, breaking the spell.

Elizabeth tells Laura, "I'm not pleased with the way you're progressing with David--in fact, I don't think you're making any progress at all." Elizabeth makes it sound as if she's doing a job evaluation!

Maggie warns Roger that the doctor said her father is suffering from anxiety (no kidding!). I'll be delicate, Roger sneers. He's a real humanitarian, isn't he.

The oval convex mirror near the Evanses' front door will show up again a long time from now in the home of a character we have yet to meet.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
Laura looks positively insane as Elizabeth touches her shoulder, breaking the spell.

Yes! That is one of the more infamous shots in DS and always gets commented on when this ep gets talked about.

But then, who could ignore it?! [snow_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »
David Ford lights up during director's slate thing.   When I made my notes, I paused the disc on Laura's extreme expression while being interrupted by ECS in the middle of possibly trying to off Sam.   That's some look!   Have I ever glimped that human expression before?   I doubt it.   It doesn't really have any normal human equivalent...   ECS calls it "frightening" --they both turn their faces toward each others' simultaneously....  On a human level, Liz picks up on Laura's probable guilt, in some sense, even if she can't imagine what Laura could have done, or how.   Some nice looks from Liz...   Caught Joan looking at the teleprompter, though.

It seems as if Laura meant to kill Sam, but settled for burning his hands, once interrupted, and thrown off.  Sam waking up interfered I guess.

Sam to Maggie re Laura's being to blame:  "What can I say that will convince you?"   Why do people say this on TV?  That's Sam's job, coming up with persuasive words, not Maggie's.   Maggie just wants him to shut up at this point...

During the burning, Maggie appears from the left side of the screen to put out the flames.  Where was she?   The kitchen is over to the right.   Her bedroom's behind and to the right, at least later it is.  David seemed to return from the Cider 'n' Cookies Depository from that direction vaguely, so maybe Maggie was stuffing her face...

Sam, according to Maggie, is getting both further and farther from reality and truth!   I've never been sure which was which...

Roger is sure he's the most sensible person on Earth!  This is Roger Collins we're talking about....  !!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
Clearly her behavior shows in a human context that Laura is still insane.  In a supernatural context, it shows she is malicous and violent.  In either case, she is an unfit mother and Elizabeth is right to suspect and dissaprove of her vague plans for David.  I don't think attacking Sam will solve the real obstacles in Laura's way...
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:46:32 AM »
She and Matthew Morgan seem to have the same ideas about how to deal with obstacles.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:29 AM »
Looks like Liz has her mind set on Laura not being good for David. Roger will squash that, if he has anything to say about it.

Maggie’s at the end of her ropes with Sam’s drinking.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »
Sam, according to Maggie, is getting both further and farther from reality and truth!   I've never been sure which was which...

Farther usually refers to physically distance, as in: London is farther north than New York City.

Further usually refers to nonphysical matters, as in: I will instruct you further.

So Sam is getting further and further from reality and truth.

And BTW, remember that brown cigarette at the end of the last episode? In the (reshot, I guess) teaser for this one it's white.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
Laura looks bug-eyed when LIz is frightened.  It was absolutely hideous.  Laura sadly states she hasn't much time.  So she must be in some kind of transistional phase of her developement.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:32 AM »
Farther usually refers to physically distance, as in: London is farther north than New York City.

Further usually refers to nonphysical matters, as in: I will instruct you further.

So Sam is getting further and further from reality and truth.

Thank you.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »
My pleasure!  [snow_smiley]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
I'm starting to think that we're not seeing the most interesting part of what's going on: supernatural forces whizzing through the air and colliding.  Is it coincidence that Elizabeth came just in just at the right moment to have a talk with Laura, or was she compelled by some supernatural force to do so?

During the burning, Maggie appears from the left side of the screen to put out the flames.  Where was she?   The kitchen is over to the right.   Her bedroom's behind and to the right, at least later it is.  David seemed to return from the Cider 'n' Cookies Depository from that direction vaguely, so maybe Maggie was stuffing her face...
Maggie said in yesterday's episode that she was going to go make Sam some coffee, and at this point the kitchen is on the left as we're facing Sam on the sofa - i.e. to the right as you come in the front door.  So it seems as though Sam shouldn't have been in any real danger from the fire, because Maggie was so nearby - but maybe Laura's spell made Maggie sort of oblivious.

Sam to Maggie re Laura's being to blame:  "What can I say that will convince you?"   Why do people say this on TV?  That's Sam's job, coming up with persuasive words, not Maggie's.
No, I disagree with you.  If Sam understands Maggie's point of view better, he's more likely to able to pinpoint what is needed to make her see his point of view.  I admit, though, it's very unlikely that he'll be able to persuade Maggie.

First we get Maggie telling Sam that the fire and the Laura pictures are all his fault for drinking so much, and then we get Elizabeth telling Laura that she's getting nowhere with David.  It was an episode for stern talks.

Laura sadly states she hasn't much time.
I think this is the first time we've been told that.  But it makes sense that it would be the case.  If the phoenix burns up every one hundred years, then time must be an issue.  I've been wondering if the reason Laura needs David is that without offspring of some sort, a nest, such as Laura described in the phoenix story she told David, isn't really a nest.