Author Topic: Traskian logic?  Please explain  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Traskian logic?  Please explain
« on: February 15, 2003, 07:40:44 AM »
 Why does Trask want Charity to marry Quentin?  If the Reverend wants control of the family fortune, he should have Charity marry the befumbled Edward. . .then thru that marriage gain control of Jamison. . .Quentin ain't got nuttin' but his pretty face. . .what am i missing?  
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Traskian logic?  Please explain
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 09:34:42 AM »
The man is just so irritating and i agree makes no sense
He knows quentin has no money or control of the estate, a bad risk also for his daughter!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 02:10:59 PM »
 Why does Trask want Charity to marry Quentin?  If the Reverend wants control of the family fortune, he should have Charity marry the befumbled Edward. . .then thru that marriage gain control of Jamison. . .Quentin ain't got nuttin' but his pretty face. . .what am i missing?  

I would think so too but now that Edward has lost his marbles and is being locked up in the Tower room Trask is already thinking about making plans to have him committed along with his dear wife Judith.  Since Quentin is the only "normal" one still around at Collinwood he's throwing her off on him.  If Carl was still around he'd probably do the same with him.  He's so darn desperate to take over that family he'll try anything!

If Jamison was a few years older he'd probably do the same with him! lol!!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 08:10:14 PM »
But see Cass that's my point. . with Edward being bonkers and thinking he's a servant, Task could easily manipulate him (as he does Charity) into marriage.  Then Charity is Jamison's "mother" and with an incapacitated husband, she gains some control over the "son".   Much clearer step to power than messing around with the SELFISH/WOLFISH one. . ?? duh, i should've written for this show. . .oh wait it do. .
Julia99

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 09:17:09 PM »
Edward is most likely still legally married to Laura. I doubt that Edward divorced her or has had her declared legally dead (family name pride, etc.). And if the coast were legally clear for Charity to marry Edward, it could be contested (by Quentin, if need be) because Edward is mentally ill. Trask the elder also considers Jamison bonkers as well (and therefore not a threat). And if I'm not mistaken, Judith has willed all to Trask (through trickery with help from Evan). I don't know if Quentin would have a legal leg to stand on but perhaps by having him married to Charity, Trask could get rid of him too and in turn would have gotten rid of the last possible threat to his taking complete control of the Colllins' holdings, being any claim Quentin has to the family fortune would automatically (and legally) be transferred to his wife upon his death.

And after all is said and done, I doubt that even Trask would assume that he could get Charity to marry Edward. He is smart (or is it evil) enough to know that his young daughter would more likely be a lot less resistant to marrying the younger and more dashing Quentin.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2003, 11:04:03 PM »
I'm a little fuzzy on the logic of turning Edward into an valet for his "moment of truth".  Ideas, anybody?

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 02:56:20 AM »
Well, without my jester hat on, that Eddy behaves outwardly as if everyone is beneath him and that they should be his servant, while in reality in his deep subconscious he knows that the facade he puts on is merely that, a false front of 'know-it-allness' and arrogance. So his moment o'truth comes out by actually placing him in the role of gentleman's gentleman, literally licking the boot of his master.  There is a bit of irony there, too [esp. if he does the ironing for the shirts of the master] that he ends up treating those that he has looked down on for so long with an unknowing respect.  So maybe the Kiss of Truth could be called the Kiss of Irony.

[I am glad dinner will be ready soon, so I can get my [jester] hat back out]

I just want your extra time,
Ringo [who is watching the grill as I type this!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2003, 03:11:15 AM »
I liked on Fridays ep (2nd I think) when Ed told Trask, "I've seen several mistakes by my late ?master?lord?, and I've never told anyone."
Hello, you just  told Trask ;D

Love Louis portrayal!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2003, 10:30:26 PM »
Well, without my jester hat on, that Eddy behaves outwardly as if everyone is beneath him and that they should be his servant, while in reality in his deep subconscious he knows that the facade he puts on is merely that, a false front of 'know-it-allness' and arrogance. So his moment o'truth comes out by actually placing him in the role of gentleman's gentleman, literally licking the boot of his master.  There is a bit of irony there, too [esp. if he does the ironing for the shirts of the master] that he ends up treating those that he has looked down on for so long with an unknowing respect.  So maybe the Kiss of Truth could be called the Kiss of Irony.

[I am glad dinner will be ready soon, so I can get my [jester] hat back out]

Again with the food??!!  ;)

Ringo, as far as I'm concerned you can put that scholar's hat on any time you want!  Your explanation is the best I've heard.  Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Loved when you called him "Jeeves" in that other post thingie.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 12:05:46 AM »
To me, it kinda makes sense that Edward would become a valet, gentleman's gentleman, head butler, Hazel, whatever.  As Edward Collins, stiff Victorian concerned about family honor and all that jazz, he was obsessed with it to the point of maximum stress.  It was a load of responsibility.  However, as a sophisticated domestic, he no longer carries that load, and yet remains in an environment to which he is accustomed (refined and all that).  He can still be concerned about family well-being, but it doesn't have to consume him, as it's someone else's family, not his.  Edward, as a fancy-pants butler, can now have the best of both worlds and none of the malarkey of either.

Gerard

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 12:30:05 AM »

I agree with this Ringo.... it would also humiliate Edward after the fact.
Wiley S.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2003, 12:45:45 AM »
I'm a bit lost on the logic of pushing his daughter at Quentin as well. I think Dom's explanation of Edward's marital status is plausible (although he'd probably have less problem getting that taken care of without having to resort to divorce--a couple of witnesses saying she burned to death would probably suffice; it's not like they'd have forensic investigators sifting through the rubble of the burned building looking for body parts back then), but having said that, it still doesn't explain why Quentin is still Candidate #1.

I would have thought that Trask would have aimed farther afield, perhaps Bangor or Boston, looking for an independently wealthy and less disreputable future son-in-law.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Connie

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2003, 12:54:51 AM »
I love Louis Edmonds in this role.  He is just soooooo magnificent.  So perfect.  What a treat.  
(Also love him as Quentin's father in 1840 - so endearing)

-CLC

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Traskian logic?  Please explain
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2003, 09:44:33 PM »
Actually, when Roger married Cassandra, she told him Laura was not legally dead.  This is another pattern with the Collins men and Laura Collins.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 03:06:04 AM »
I love Louis Edmonds in this role.  He is just soooooo magnificent.  So perfect.  What a treat.  -CLC 
Edward reminds me of that butler on the new ALL detergent commercials. He has to have everything just so--right down to the clean towels.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe