Author Topic: Trailer for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter  (Read 1847 times)

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Trailer for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
Thanks for posting a link to the trailer, usffan.  [snow_smiley]

I completely forgot it's in 3D. Should be interesting to see if people will go back to embracing 3D this summer or will still be shunning it...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
I am glad Shadows isn't going to be this action-packed.  Still, it looks cool.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:19:36 AM »
Really not my cup of tea.  I did tee-hee about the gaffe with the Washington Monument and Capitol buildings (which weren't around in Lincoln's lifetime).

Still, Rufus Sewell is always worth making time for...

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:07:14 AM »
Thanks usffan for posting the trailer.

I do hope DS is action packed.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »
I did tee-hee about the gaffe with the Washington Monument and Capitol buildings (which weren't around in Lincoln's lifetime).

Gothick, the book's prologue is set in present day, with the author acquiring Lincoln's journals, and that looks to be the point in the story that we get a glimpse of the Washington Monument.  As for the rest of it told during Lincoln's time, I can't say how the Capitol building looked, but it was very much around.  However, as you can imagine, huge liberties were taken with history in this tale anyway.

I'll add my thanks for posting the trailer.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »
[ghost]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
If it's anything like the book, and I think it will be, I won't be seeing it. I've read bad fan fiction that better.
The only thing the book has going for it is a cute title.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
Can't wait to see it.

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 01:51:41 AM »

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
I went to see the movie yesterday.  I should preface this by saying that I have not read the book, and one of the reasons why I wanted to see this was to see how Seth Grahame-Smith wrote a screenplay to source material I wasn't previously invested in and possibly see why he was selected to pen (or at least tweak) the Dark Shadows screenplay. 

While I felt that the concept had a few clever concepts to provide "context" to things like the Lincoln-Douglas debates and his son Willie, I pretty much felt like this movie was a hot mess.  It kind of felt like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be an action movie or a thoughtful reimagining of historical events, and therefore fell short of doing either.  They never really explained how their vampires were free to roam the earth in daylight, how some vampires seemed to be able to largely control their urges or any restrictions on killing them.  There was something fairly provocative about the naming of the primary antagonist (I don't want to say anything more for fear of spoiling anything), but it was never delivered on.  Finally, there were a couple of ostensibly surprising plot twists that I found fairly transparent. 

The long and the short of it is, I don't understand what it was about this that would have prompted Tim Burton to invite Grahame-Smith to tweak the Dark Shadows script. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
Very interesting, usffan - thanks so much for sharing.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 05:55:30 AM »
I actually quite liked the book, but I suppose for full disclosure I'd better admit that I read it while on a particularly fun and pampered vacation (a rare treat for me!) so I was in a pretty good mood that whole week, lol.  However, the reviews for the film were quite weak (more negative than DS's reviews) which disappointed me.  Maybe Seth has good story ideas but just hasn't yet learned to translate them to film  [ghost_sad]  Well, I will surely see this at some point, but perhaps on DVD.  Thanks for your feedback, usffan!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
CNN had a segment about it a week ago and they had a historian on.  Apparently they had an event at the Lincoln Presidential Library and the historian said that it was bringing in people who were interested in the vampire aspect, but then spent time at the library and became exposed to the history. He seemed to mostly consider it a positive thing.
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
A friend of mine who has more patience for current pop culture trends than do I saw the movie on Friday.  She praised the performance of the actor who played Lincoln (Ben Walker, I think, was his name? she said he was Meryl Streep's son-in-law) but particularly mentioned the ever-luscious Rufus Sewell, who plays the head vampire.  On a whim, she decided to buy the novel on her way to see the movie.  She started reading it on her way, I think.  Anyhow she thinks that the movie is a bit of fun but the novel is much, much better.  Just letting folks know one fan's opinion.  She is also a diehard DS fan (she gave the Depp movie a lukewarm review--for anyone who's counting heads, I still haven't seen the Deep creature).

G.