Author Topic: MATURE Fan Question  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
MATURE Fan Question
« on: February 08, 2003, 11:34:29 PM »
Hey...for all my 'mature' poster friends (the people who as teens saw DS in orig. run).
Who of you say had a pic of David Selby ? taped ? onto your school locker (assuming people did that in circa 1970)?
Did any of you (hopefully younger than teen!) have a DS lunchbox?
Also, (and this is predominantly towards the males on here), did any of you get teased from your schoolmates, "Eiy, you like dark shadows!" ?
Anyone have pics of David Henesey?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: MATURE Fan Question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 12:22:30 AM »
Hi Patti,

I remember buying the Quentin Postcards that came out but I always kept stuff like that hermetically sealed (so to speak) lol. Never had the lunchbox - didn't know it existed; too old for lunchboxes at the time. I bought the teen mag's that would have DS in them, one of the games (Barn - I think), the Ross books, the LP, and the trading cards. I didn't know anyone who watched the show. I had to wait 30 years before I found others who like the show - which is why I bow before my computer.

dom

PS - The only picture I ever had in my high school locker was a picture of Bette Midler. [blshy]

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 02:24:59 AM »
I got quite a lot of $hit in the orig run about watching a 'soap opera'......"ya gotta go home an watch yer STORY, you freak?"  BUT, I did hang around with a bunch of cute girls that we discussed the show the next day in the band practice room, so there were some nice sides of the story, too.  I was always a collector of all things 'junk' and had/have the games, puzzles, cards, comics, teen mags, etc. [but my lunch box was The Beatles]

and I used the pics of David H. for a dartboard.

Hi Patti,dom
PS - The only picture I ever had in my high school locker was a picture of Bette Midler. [blshy]

HaR!!!

The D. Ms. M is one of the few celebs to refuse to sign an autograph for me, she denied she was on the Ringo [real Ringo] album I had brought - and her name was listed in the credits [It WAS 'Ringo the 4th' - a real dog of a record, but she WAS on it, and could have inked it!]

[jester]

and, Oh Yeah, if you mean old by 'mature' - that would be the only definition that would apply to moi!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 02:26:51 AM »
I always purchased (whenever I could) the Marilyn Ross paperbacks, and the comic books.  The only teacher who ever teased me was at the conservatory where I went every Wednesday after school (and after DS!) for organ lessons.  One Christmas, my parents got me the sheet music for Quentin's Theme, and when I brought it to the conservatory, my teacher looked at it and asked:  "Do you watch that show?"  When I answered in the affirmative, she retorted:  "Don't you think it's silly?"  Regardless of her tastes, I ended up playing Quentin's Theme for the autumn recital that year in the conservatory's auditorium.

Gerard

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 03:41:01 AM »
Of course I had DS pictures plastered all over my bedroom door and closet door. My mother would not let me hang anything on the wallpaper.  I didn't have a locker at the time I got hooked on DS.  I think I was in the 5th or 6th grade.  I had the cards, the books until 1981 when they were destroyed in a cellar flood.  Why did my mother force me to take them to my house they would have been safe in hers? I still have the album.  I don't remember anyone making fun of me during the original run.  Of course, now I have seen a few raised eye brows when people find out I am still a fan.  I suffered a few snickers when I went to the fest in 2001.   Wonder what they were saying about me behind my back.

On the bright side my daughter had a photo of David Selby in her locker last year.  A few kids even recognized it.  This year I don't know what she has hanging on her locker door.  She still has a few pictures of the Q-man on her bulliton board hanging in her room.  Also of course the photo of her with the real thing.  I am still jealous hers came out so much better than mine.  My pictures are in the photo album.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 04:07:54 AM »
The only DS 'things' I ever owned were a slew of the Ross books....which are long gone.

The only photo I ever had was of John Karlen but it wasn't DS related.  It was a photo from our local paper along with a review of the play in which he was appearing.

No one teased me about watching the show....it seemed like every girl in my school watched as well.  But I did take a lot of grief for despising Barnabas. :P

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 04:11:23 AM »
Of course, now I have seen a few raised eye brows when people find out I am still a fan.  I suffered a few snickers when I went to the fest in 2001.   Wonder what they were saying about me behind my back.
Birdie

Me too Birdie...why do they care?  ?!?

Ringo: HOW DARE SHE!!(indignant!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2003, 04:21:09 AM »

Oh!  Can I tell my Bette Midler story too?

Hubby and I went to see "Evita" on Broadway (many moons ago!) and during the intermission we had to walk outside the building so he could have a cigarette. Who do we notice coming out the entrance but  The Divine One....... on the same mission.  Only she had to run from the Theatre entrance to the bodega next door to buy cigarettes.  

When she came back out she was fumbling with the cigarette package and the book of matches so Hubby offered to light it for her.  Unfortunately the flame shot up like a blow torch and almost set her hair on fire!!!!

I guess it was a good thing we didn't ask for her autograph, eh Ringo? [lghy] [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2003, 06:30:12 AM »
I too had DS photos on my bedroom wall, mostly of Barnabas.  I had and still do, a DS game, a ViewMaster of DS, trading cards, a bunch of Ross books, writing paper and envelopes and a lot of autographed pictures, which I have gotten off ebay or got it from the person(s).  

Am I a MATURE fan?    

A fan..... without a doubt.  
MATURE....well........
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2003, 07:08:46 PM »
Yes, I have to admit it.  I was a "closet Dark Shadows fan" back during the halcyon days of the 1960s'.  

And, as to the question of whether I had any pictures of favorite Dark Shadows characters, yes I did.  I kept a cherished glossy photo of Bathia Mapes, resplendently attired in her Ursula Andress sequined black evening dress, inside of the front cover of my hardcover copy of "Catcher In The Rye."

Bob the Bartender, child of the 1960s, antiquated hippie of the new millennium.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2003, 08:20:50 PM »
i had a picture of Don Briscoe from one of the teen mags at the time( as well as Rob G of grassroots and Billy C. of the Boston Red Sox) hey i'm fickle...

jennifer
hated Jack wild(???) who was big at the time
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 10:02:21 PM »
The bus usually dropped us off at about 3:25 and all of us would usually meet at the field to play ball around 4 oclock...that would give us time to change our school clothes and grab a sandwich...oh yeah, and some silly soap opera came on at 3:30...i dont know if i was the only one who watched it, but it seemed no one was at the field before 4:00....and if they watched it or not, its was never ever mentioned....lol....i am not sure what was taboo about it, but something was, cause i would never mention it either...nor would anyone else...must be that it was classified as a "soap opera" and no boy would ever watch a soap opera....if it ever got mentioned at school, it was like "hey, did you see that phony vampire when his teeth almost fell out..or "did you see that wall almost fall down when they were trying to open that door"???    
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Nancy

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2003, 10:27:02 PM »
DS was the talk of the school I attended every weekday, particularly if Barnabas had been "away" for awhile and made his return to the show.  If you missed some episodes for one reason for another as I did, it was easy to get filled in by someone at school.  

Everybody in my school world talked about the show since it was so popular during the first few years of its run.  You were considered pretty out of it if you didn't know about the show or watched it.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2003, 10:35:17 PM »
No one teased me about watching the show....it seemed like every girl in my school watched as well.  But I did take a lot of grief for despising Barnabas. :P

raineypark

As well they should have.;)

Seriously though, I do remember some of the girls at school getting their knickers in a twist fighting over this or that character as if they were real people. I thought that was hilarious.  

Nancy

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 05:08:24 AM »
DS was the talk of the school I attended every weekday, particularly if Barnabas had been "away" for awhile and made his return to the show.  If you missed some episodes for one reason for another as I did, it was easy to get filled in by someone at school.  

Everybody in my school world talked about the show since it was so popular during the first few years of its run.  You were considered pretty out of it if you didn't know about the show or watched it.

Nancy

Oh. does that bring back memories.  Everyone in school, especially when we reached junior high (I guess what they call "middle school" today), watched and talked about Dark Shadows.  Anyone who didn't was definitely outta the circle.  And that was another benefit - everyone, from the popular kids to the "Carrie Whites" all had something in common.  Dark Shadows was the great equalizer.  

Gerard