Author Topic: Robservations 1/7/03 - #800-801/2 - Count Petofi - To Tell the Truth  (Read 1946 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
800 - Collinwood - Quentin comes downstairs to answer a knock at the door to find a hysterical Magda. I was just coming to see you, he says. She breathlessly says, "You can't go there." She asks for whiskey, which he gives her. I'm so scared, she says--the hand crawled out of the fireplace toward me--I ran. Did you have a few glasses of whiskey before this one? he asks. No, she swears, I'm sober, but scared--I knew the hand was evil, but not how much, if I only knew what it would take from me! We have all lost a lot, agrees Quentin. She sarcastically thanks him for being so understanding. He, with equal sarcasm, reminds her the child who died was my son--remember?--my son, who I never got to see. Yes, he was a pretty baby, she says, good baby, the little girl, too--every day I wake up, wondering if she is still alive--my head aches from thinking--what can I do to help her? And if you could help her, asks Quentin, so she can grow up to be a beautiful young girl--what happens then?--when she marries?--to her children? Her sons will dread the full moon, says Magda, sipping her drink. If I could do something about that, asks Quentin, should I do it? Of course, she says. Suppose I said I needed the hand to accomplish it? he asks. She reminds him what the hand has done. Because we didn't know how to use it, he says--but there is someone who does--if I give him that hand, he'll end my curse. How do you know he can? Magda asks. I don't know, admits Q--but I'm going to take the chance--we're going to the Old House to get the hand, and give it to this man. What's the name of the man who claims he can cure it? asks Magda. Quentin turns cagey--you might not understand, he says--it's Aristede. He's going to HELP you? she asks, incredulous--he tried to kill you. Listen, says Quentin, what Aristede did wasn't done to me personally--he had to do it because he needed the hand very badly--there's nothing wrong with that. There is, insists Magda--the hand belongs to the gypsies and was in their possession for over 100 years. Then your people are going to have to do without it, retorts Quentin, because I'm giving it to Aristede, and he'll cure me. You're a fool, says Magda. I'm willing to be a fool if I can be cured, says Quentin--and keep my little girl from carrying it to her sons--would you take that chance, for Jenny's child? asks Quentin.
Magda looks miserable. Quentin pushes--if we're giving the hand, then let it cure me--maybe Aristede won't be able to keep it and will return it to her people. "Already you're thinking of betraying him," chides Magda. I'm thinking of nothing but being cured, says Q, and we are going to the Old House. Go without me, says Magda. Surely you aren't frightened of it, says Quentin. You would be, too, if you'd seen it coming out of the fireplace, she says. People are frightened when they have something to lose, says Q--we are in that strange, satisfying state of having nothing further to lose, so why be frightened anymore?

9 PM - Evan's house - He sits, reading a book. There's a knock at the door, very slow. He answers, but only the hand is there, hanging suspended in air. Evan, horrified, is about to close the door, but Tim comes out of the shadows, box in hand, and warns him, "Don't do that--we have some very important business to discuss this evening..."

Old House - Quentin and Magda search for the hand, but can't find it. Where can it be? he asks--did anyone else see it? No one else even knows about it, says Magda, except us and Evan Hanley. I'm sure he didn't take it, says Quentin. It must be your good friend, Aristede, says Maga, and his friend, the grand man, Victor. Aristede claims Victor and Aristede don't know each other, says Quentin. Maybe true, maybe not, says Magda, maybe nobody took it, the hand has a will and desire of its own, wherever it is, it wants to be there.

Tim holds the hand up before Evan, laughing--I've been very curious about my new possession, says Tim. What about it? asks Evan.
I hope you can answer that, says Tim. My field of study is law, not gypsy artifacts, says Evan. What makes you think it has something to do with gypsies? asks Tim. I've seen boxes with carvings like that before, answers Evan. But not with similar contents, says Tim, this hand is unique, isn't it? I don't know, replies Evan. I think you do know; says Tim, I heard Magda talking. Is that why you came here? queries Evan. One of the reasons, says Tim--it will do for a start. He holds the hand out to Evan, who backs away, warning--if you don't know how to use it, that's one dangerous thing. I know enough about how to use it, says Tim, and before we are finished speaking, will know a great deal more--won't I? demands Tim. Evan keeps backing away. Dangerous for you, but not for me, says Tim, because I intend to let the hand work its will on you. Noticing how much this scares Evan, Tim deliberately pushes the hand closer to the lawyer's terrified face.

Evan describes to Tim how the gypsies removed the curse of the werewolf from Count Petofi--but their price for doing so was the hand, so they took it, and with it, his powers. So whoever controls the hand has the power? asks Tim. No one knows for sure, says Evan, the only certainty is that the hand, like its former owner, brings evil. Well, says Tim, you answered that one nicely, now let me try something a little more recent--I have this paper, and I've been puzzling over what it means, but suspect not much longer. He hands Evan the paper, making the lawyer very nervous. Curious, says Evan. The queen of spades, says Tim, reading from the paper, now what can that mean?--"You're going to tell me, Evan, aren't you?" I don't know what it means, claims Evan. I know differently, says Tim--you wrote it--why? Evan tries to walk away, but Tim calls to him. The hand lifts itself up in the air, threatening Evan. Make it go away, begs Evan. There's no place for you to run, says Tim--answer my questions!--why did you write that note? Trask made me write it! cries Evan, trying to fend off the hand as it comes closer. I knew he was behind all this--why? asks Tim. It was a plot that we worked out together to kill Trask's wife, confesses Evan. Oh, and you simply made me do it, says Tim. Yes, confesses Evan. How? demands Tim--begin at the beginning, tell me what you did, and what happened, everything! Evan closes his eyes in misery, knowing he has no choice.

Aristede meets Victor in the woods. The older man demands, why are you late?--waiting always makes me fretful! I couldn't help it, says Aristede. I'll accept your apology, says Victor--in exchange for the hand. I don't have it, says Aristede hesitantly. Victor, furious, slaps him back and forth across the face, calling him stupid and incompetent. Please, begs Aristede, it's not my fault, it's Quentin's--we were supposed to meet at the Blue Whale, and he showed, but didn't have the hand--he claimed he lost it.
And you believed him, demands Victor, incensed. Yes, says Aristede, there's no reason for him not to give me the hand. Yes, he has a brain in his head, which you don't behind that lovely face, taunts Victor. He grabs Aristede by the lapels and says, I knew all along he was lying to you. Then why make me meet him at the Blue Whale? cries Aristede. Because I was desperate! shouts Victor, to do anything, even to do the job myself--I've been relying on you too long, and circumstances forced me to be patient, but I can't afford that any longer--do you know that? I can't come out into the open, insists the younger man, it's too dangerous. "What about the danger if I do not get the hand?" asks Victor in a steely, barely-controlled voice--"I tell you I must have that hand!"

Old House - Petofi and Aristede are searching the drawing room for the hand when Quentin and Magda enter. "What's going on here?" demands Quentin. I think you already know that, responds Victor--I regret that I've been less than completely honest with you in the past, but sometimes, from the purest motives, one is forced to follow the most devious roots. I want to know those motives, says Quentin, and they had better be pure, or you won't leave alive. Please, says Victor, threats make me extremely uncomfortable--I'm sure we can conduct our business in a more pleasant manner. What business? asks Q. Yes, our odd methods aside, says Victor, this is a matter of business. You have something, I want it--the hand, and I've wanted it for a long time. Why? asks Quentin. Because it is unique in the entire world, says Victor, because I collect the unique and pursue anything that meets the standards I set, which is why I am the one person who shall have it--may I be completely honest?--once, I had the hand, I asked no more of it than was my due to ask. Why don't you have it now? asks Quentin. A good question, praises Victor--I owned the hand at one time, but if you don't know it, let me tell you that there are men who are unscrupulous, men who smile and steal easily--I who know so much about some things is a mere babe in arms about others, but I do not regret it--I must maintain a certain innocence in order to be worthy of the beauty I constantly seek. "We ain't got what you want," Magda says. I think you do, says Victor. No, says Quentin. She told you she doesn't, says Victor, she told you it disappeared before her startled gypsy eyes--one thing I've learned during my career is that every gypsy has a price--whatever that price may be, I will pay it. I'm telling the truth, insists Magda--we don't have it. I don't always trust the word of a gypsy, says Victor. I never trust is, chimes in Aristede, who slaps her, accusing her of lying--you will do what I say! Victor stops the fight--"No, Aristede! She will do as I say!" Indicating Aristede, Victor describes him to Quentin: sometimes stupid, sometimes cruel, but generally, a nice boy. Get out, Victor orders Aristede--I'll handle this myself--you've upset the lady and we are trying to woo her--now get out! Victor apologizes to Magda, who is holding her hurt cheek. She refuses his apology--I want nothing from you, she says. Aristede did it because he knew he was anxious to get the hand, says Victor--what a passion it has become to him--smile, he says--gypsy women are very beautiful. I ain't got nothing to smile at, she retorts. There's always something to smile at, says Victor--the expectation of a new possession, the river of life that runs through a glass of wine. He pours her a drink. If you do, he says, you will feel better, then we can get down to talking business. She accepts the glass, then moans with dismay. Quentin asks what's the matter. The cuff button, cries Magda--the mark was the same mark on Julianka's forehead! Victor tries to leave, but Quentin stops him, grabbing Victor's right hand--which comes off! "You!" cries Magda--"You are Count Petofi!"
Victor stands there, his empty sleeve showing nothing but darkness.

NOTES: It's really tough writing down all of Victor's flowery prose, so forgive me if I leave out a few things here and there. That man does go on and on! More interesting bits on the relationship between Aristede and Victor. He's the brawn, Victor the brains. You must love (and question) the man's loyalty to someone who seems to despise him as much as Victor does.

Charity was so cold to the man she was once engaged to, but very warm to Quentin, who seems to have no use for her at all. His cruelty to her was actually pretty funny, in a twisted way. She even accepted a drink, but then again, Cousin Barnabas introduced her to apple wine when they were "dating." Frankly, why she would want to pursue a man clearly her opposite is beyond me. She seems both disgusted and fascinated by him.

Once again, Magda is manhandled, the poor woman. Quentin's apparent love and gentleness for his baby daughter is really touching. I do believe knowing about these kids, especially since he killed their mother, would have turned Quentin into a more responsible man--if he had been told about them sooner.

No more Mr. Nice guy in our Tim, huh? He forced the truth out of Evan and now he has possession of the hand. What about revenge on Trask? We have to wait for that, but it does come.

801/802 - Quentin holds up Victor's fake hand and presents it back to him. Don't give it back, warns Magda, he is Count Petofi, demon from hell! You're a romantic, says Victor--if I really were who you think, would I let you babble on so? Yes, says Magda, if you did something to me, they would know you are him.
If I were Petofi, says Victor, would I be ashamed of it? Magda turns to Quentin and says, 100 years ago, he was a werewolf. Victor laughs. 100 years ago, continues Magda, we cut off his hand as payment for the cure! Quentin looks at the gloved fake hand. Fascinating story, says Victor, and true, I've been informed--I do admit to knowing of the strange, sad story of Petofi, the last recorded man to own a unicorn. Oh, says Magda, you are the only one who could know that. But you know it, too, points out Victor--the saddest morning in the late Count's life was when he awoke after the might of a full moon to find his unicorn had been killed by a wolf. "Just a minute, Count Petofi," says Quentin, citing the one thing that convinced him--the saddest morning of the count's life was when he found a unicorn slaughtered. Werewolves don't remember what they do--I know that, and so do you, from personal experience. Magda warns Q, don't make him madder. Your interruptions, says Victor, are intolerable, the cawing of a mad cat--shall I silence you? Victor bows and says to Quentin, "Count Petofi, sir, at your service." Quentin gives him back his hand. "Quentin, he is dead," warns Magda. A mere conjecture, says Petofi. He's got to be, says Magda. What does it matter? asks Q, I've seen ghosts before. So, you believe her about that, too, says Petofi--how eagerly you believe your own lies, ignoring the truth wherever you can--I'll humor you. He picks up a letter opener. You have seen ghosts, you say? Petofi cuts his face with the letter opener and asks, do ghosts bleed, Mr. Collins?--and you, Madame, have you heard tales around the tribal campfire of ghosts that have blood?--what would a ghost want with a petrified hand?--I've never heard of a gypsy being logical--but try, do try! Urges the Count--only a man would want that hand, says Petofi. Surely you have some explanation for how long you've lived, comments Quentin. I'm not required to give it to strangers, says Petofi, all you need know is that I'm determined to have that hand. We don't have it, says Magda. You have until morning, warns the Count, I still have some powers left, but would hate to use them--I feel a certain kinship for you, Mr. Collins, you make me remember feelings I'd forgotten for a hundred years--I will be at Collinwood for a while, says Petofi. Quentin walks behind him and picks up the letter opener. I think it would be wise for you to decide what you are going to do, advises Petofi. Quentin holds the letter opener aimed at the burly Count. Since you're human, says Q, you can also die!--now, how were you cured--tell me, if you want to live. Petofi smiles broadly.

Quentin shakes the latter opener threateningly at Petofi, demanding the cure. Don't anger him, begs Magda. Petofi asks her, should I hypnotize Quentin?--or paralyze him completely, leave him here, and when the moon comes out--would you like that, gypsy? Magda begs Q, let him go! For once, you are right, says Petofi, slamming his hand down on Quentin's wrist, making him drop the weapon. Nursing his injured wrist, Quentin asks, in a heartbreaking voice, "Why won't you help me? If you know what it's like, why won't you?" To get something, you must pay the price, says Petofi--a little bargaining, perhaps. I'm willing to bargain, says Quentin. You're only willing to cringe, says Petofi, to make inept excuses--you must learn--I paid my price (he holds up his false hand) you must pay yours! Petofi leaves. Magda laments, "Quentin, Quentin!" You stole the hand, says Quentin, and you brought him here--I should kill you for that. Don't talk such foolishness, she says, we must get that hand, he won't leave us alone if we don't. Unless we can fight him, suggests Quentin. Magda gets an idea--Evan has books that tell about Petofi, he even knows about the hand! But Evan and I aren't friends any longer, says Q--I must try to fix up our relationship. Be careful, says Magda, don't do anything foolish--promise me! He leaves without another word. Magda knows the hotheaded Q is heading for trouble.

Evan's house - he jumps from his chair, races to his sofa and yells, "There it is!" He pulls away a pillow. "It was there!" I saw the fingers! He tosses down the pillows and says I must get hold of himself--that hand is not in this house. He hears a weird, slow knocking at the door. It's Quentin (he wouldn't knock that way; was it Evan's imagination?. Evan answers the door. Old friend! says Evan enthusiastically. Quentin asks, what's wrong with you? It's clear that Evan is a nervous wreck. I thought you had forgotten our friendship, says Quentin. Nonsense, says Evan. Beth tried to call you several times, says Q. I've been busy, says Evan. Just when I especially needed you, says Quentin--the moon was full. I don't need your reproaches, says Evan, looking wildly around. Q asks, what are you looking at? "Do you see it?" demands Evan, sounding not quite sane. Quentin looks around and points out nothing is there at all. Evan chuckles--I'm sorry, I haven't been myself lately. Obviously, says Q. Evan suggests they go out. No, says Q, I came to ask for your help--you know all about the hand, Magda said so--you have books. I don't want anything to do with it, insists Evan.
"Give me the books!" says Quentin--"I have to fight it." You can't take the chance, no one can, asserts Evan, his eyes darting crazily--I tried to tell you that! Who did you try to tell? asks Q. No one, says Evan. You lie as badly as ever, says Quentin--you know who took the hand, tell me! I fear he will use it against me if I tell, says the lawyer. "Evan..." says Q warningly--"tell me or I'll kill you, right here, tonight--I mean it--I've caused too many deaths to think about one more." Tim Shaw, reveals Evan--he had it here, I keep thinking it has come back, he won't let it come back--don't come to me about the hand again--I want nothing more to do with it! I never thought I'd see you so frightened, remarks Quentin, and leaves. Evan locks the door after him.

Magda calls the god of the gates to the future, asking to see--give me power to look at the road ahead--I have no right to know, after all I did, but show me in the crystal ball, she begs, what will happen--I've got to see, please! Quentin enters--Tim Shaw has the hand, he says. We must go to him right away, says Magda. That's impossible, says Quentin, we underestimated dear Mr. Shaw, if we ever thought of him at all--took his clothes, everything he owns, plus the hand, and left. Petofi and Aristede killed him, suggests Magda. No, says Quentin--he left alone on the evening train, no forwarding address--where would you go with all that power in your suitcase? he asks. We can't do anything? asks Magda. Nothing says Quentin bitterly--nothing.

Petofi comes downstairs at Collinwood. A suitcase stands in the foyer. Jamison enters and says, I knew this bag was yours. A spur of the moment decision, says Victor--I'm very much like you, Jamison, he says, I do just what I want when I want. I'm not like that, says the boy, I have all sorts of people who tell me what I have to do. But you don't always obey them, do you? asks Petofi. Sometimes, if I have to, says Jamison. One of the few virtues of age is that you don't have to, says Petofi--you'll see. Jamison says, you never finished telling me about Lord Kitchener and all his battles. When I come back, promises Petofi. You're coming back? asks Jamison. Quite possibly, says Petofi--have you ever run away? I tried to once, says Jamison. Petofi says, I'm running away. I'll miss you, says Jamison. Petofi says, I'll see to it that you don't. How? asks Jamison. I have all sorts of tricks you haven't seen yet, laughs Petofi, but there's no time to tell you any now--kiss me goodbye. Jamison hesitates. Are you afraid? asks Petofi--I thought we were friends. We are, says Jamison, it's just that I don't understand how you're going to stop me from missing you.
You don't have to understand everything, says Petofi, goodbye, for now. Jamison kisses his cheek. Magda and Quentin enter. Run along, Petofi tells Jamison--they've come to say goodbye. Jamison goes upstairs. I was expecting you, Petofi says, and obviously your mission was a failure--you came to plead with me. The hand isn't in Collinsport, says Magda. Your fault, says Petofi, you are a very careless custodian. You know where it is, don't you, and are going to get it now? accuses Magda. No, replies the Count, I am going to wait for you to find it for me--you played some rather dangerous tricks on my hand, but I should have expected that--all of you are children in this house--never have I seen a group of people so willing to live lies. Quentin refuses to hear anymore. It will be fascinating to see which of you will be able to live and face the truth, says Petofi--and which of you will die--already, one by one, the lies are falling away--Quentin, at least, admits what he is, and because he's closer to the truth than the others, I am leaving him a very surprising and rather interesting present---he won't like it at first, but he'll thank me for it in time. I want nothing from you, says Quentin. "Of course you don't," chuckles Petofi, "but you can't prevent me from giving it to you."--perhaps I'll be back in a little while, when I have the hand, then I will undo the mischief I'll be blamed for--goodbye--"Remember, I'll be watching you, even though you don't see me." He walks out the door. Don't let him scare you, Quentin advises Magda--he has no powers--if he did, he'd use them. Magda crosses herself, and says, "He's alive, ain't he? It takes powers to live for 150 years!"

At the top of the stairs Jamison says, "I beg your pardon," not sounding at all like himself. Quentin steps forward. Isn't the child isn't in bed? asks Jamison--don't children go to bed at a decent hour these days? (Not at Collinwood) Quentin and Magda exchange glances. Jamison says, "Lord Kitchener once told..." Magda suddenly seems to understand and is horrified. Come down, Quentin tells Jamison. "Mr. Collins, says Jamison, I'm not in the habit of being interrupted." What are you talking about? demands Quentin--don't play jokes. Jamison chides "Mr. Collins" for always being the one that's speaking of jokes. The boy has his arms hidden behind his back in a Count Petofi-like pose. Quentin grabs him, looks at him, turns to Magda. When Jamison slips his hands out from behind his back, we see they are encased in black gloves.
"Why are you staring at my gloves?" Jamison asks--"You know that I always wear gloves." Horrified, Magda says, "Ohh, he's possessed!" Quentin stares at his smiling nephew.

NOTE: Shivers! Be prepared for some awesome acting on David Henesy's part. He is really amazing here.

What did Petofi mean about learning the truth about everyone? What dubious gift is he leaving Quentin--or is Jamison's possession by the Count the gift?

So what will happen now that young Jamison is in charge of lies and truth?

Love, Robin

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 1/7/03 - #800-801 - Count Petofi - To Tell the Truth
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 12:33:16 AM »
Okay.....someone has to explain to me how it is that even tho Magda the Gypsy and Angelique the Witch couldn't control that disembodied paw, Tim the Dim is able to make it behave? ?!?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 12:27:32 AM »
 I love the unmasking (unhanding?) of Petofi!  The entire sequence before and after with Magda, Quentin, Aristede, and His Excellency was very well-played.  Thayer David portrays such a menacing yet elegant villain.  I do wonder though how he was able to get Jamison to warm up to him so quickly; we never saw any scenes between the two until Petofi's apparent departure.

I think some of David Henesy's best scenes (certainly in the show's later years) are when he is possessed. The cliffhanger of Jamison appearing on the stairs with Petofi's gloves, voice, and personality was strikingly eerie, as were Magda and Quentin's reactions.  However, it doesn't quite match the chills I get from a certain scene between Edward and Jamison/Petofi coming up next week...  

ProfStokes

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 09:58:57 AM »
Okay.....someone has to explain to me how it is that even tho Magda the Gypsy and Angelique the Witch couldn't control that disembodied paw, Tim the Dim is able to make it behave? ?!?

That always bothers me, too.  The only thing that I can figure out is that they keep saying that the hand "has a mind of its own."  When Magda, who has some powers and Angelique with a lot of powers try to control it, apparently it won't "listen" and acts on its own.  Julianka supposedly knew how to control it.

I've always figured that since Tim now wants it for his own gain and revenge, those could be considered "bad" things, so perhaps the hand wants to cooperate.
Josette

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 04:31:28 PM »
I've always figured that since Tim now wants it for his own gain and revenge, those could be considered "bad" things, so perhaps the hand wants to cooperate.

The Hand is happy to be Bad.....prefers never to do anything Good.  Okay....makes about as much sense as anything around here ever does!  Thanks Josette!

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 09:01:23 PM »
    I agree with Josette.  Tim and the Hand are two lonely bachelors and maybe the Hand thinks it will get out more.  You know, the whole wine, women, and song thing or cigarettes, whiskey, and wild wild women thing.  The Hand could like cute, young, and stupid men just like it's former owner Count Petofi.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer