Author Topic: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD  (Read 14661 times)

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2012, 03:50:38 AM »
The complete set is showing as unavailable on Amazon and Deep Discount has jacked up its price.  D'oh.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »
I think they changed the street date from April 10 to May 8.
According to a post at htf, the new Street date is May 8, 2012.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319143/mpi-press-release-dark-shadows-the-complete-original-series#post_3904996

[edited by admin]

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »
I think it looks classier than the earlier pics.
I wonder if it is made of wood or cardboard?
I like how the lid is hinged, and opens like a door. Not a pop off lid.
Would be nice if the inside of the lid was lined with red velvet, but doesn't look like it is.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
I would suspect it's made of strong cardboard. That tends to be the case with box sets.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
I was thinking cheap plywood, but, Yeah, you're probably right.
Mpi would probably publicize it as a sturdy wood coffin if it was indeed made of wood.
There are a few exceptions, though.
I have the Land of the Giants boxed set, and it comes in a wooden crate.
The Prisoner: Cell Block H set came in a metal case.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »
My favorite complete set is the Land of the Lost series that comes in a tin reproduction of the original lunchbox! So cool! Too bad they never made a DS lunchbox.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
"I think I understand now what the new DARK SHADOWS from Tim Burton is up to. It's a celebration of everyone's inner strangeness. Daring new territory for him, so we must give it a chance."  - Tim Lucas

Lucas said on Facebook that MPI's publicist had 25 complete DS sets to send to media outlets in exchange for a promise of feature coverage. Tim commissioned artist Belle Dee to create some original illustrations and promised MPI the cover of Video Watchdog and a 15-20 page feature. MPI's publicity wizard said no.

Lucas said review set or not, he still intends to do a DS round-table issue.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
I am totally not understanding the whole situation with the box set.  Strangely, today I can't even find any mention of it on the MPI web site!  It hasn't been cancelled, has it??

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
That is very sad that MPI refused to cooperate with Tim Lucas.  His work on Bava has been epochal, and some outstanding material by himself and others (such as Kim Newman) has appeared over the years in Video Watchdog.  What's more, people who read VW actually buy DVDs, unlike the typical reader of Time or Vanity Fair or whatever.

Dumb call, MPI.  One does wonder just what's up with that box set.  They have a good sales potential with it even with the high ticket price... given that there is no sign to date of WB doing ANY marketing at all connected with the Burton-Depp feature.

G.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »
Someone got their complete set early and posted a review of its contents over at amazon.
According to the reviewer, the coffin-shaped box is well-constructed. The spines of the individual cases form the image of Barnabas resting in his coffin. However, I was disappointed to learn that the covers of the cases are all black with no artwork or photos--just the title. The discs are also black. The reviewer seems to like it, but I'm more of a visual person, and I would've liked more photos on the cases.
I'm also not too crazy about the coffin-shaped box. I know it's Dark Shadows, but I find it a little morbid, and I wouldn't want to put it out on display in my room, except maybe Halloween, because I'm afraid it might remind me too much of death and funerals. I would've preferred a more simple box with photos of the Collinwood mansion, because that's where all the action takes place.

Judging by his comments, I think I'll stick with the individual sets I have. I think they look classy sitting on my shelf, and I like the little episode guide leaflet with the photos, and the postcards.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
(modified to add another sentence about my confusion on status of the product...)

Well, mine arrived today!  The last couple weeks have been very confusing in regard to this set.  And this past Sunday I got a very brief email (hardly any details at all) from DeepDiscount saying that it had been shipped, but my order was still saying that status was simply "Open", and my PayPal account hadn't been charged.  And mention of the set was completely removed from the MPI web site.  I wondered if the email had been a glitch, and instead of "shipped" it was really "cancelled".  Then Tuesday my PayPal account was charged, and then yesterday I sent an email to DeepDiscount and they verified it had been shipped and sent me a USPS tracking number (which isn't able to provide any tracking info on the USPS web site...).  Then the mail room notified me this morning there was a package for me!

Anyway, after all of that drama, I have to say it's worth it!   [snow_smiley]  Even though the shape of the coffin box is hokey (I still think it's proportioned for a South Park character) the whole set otherwise is quite classy.  The coffin is a sturdy paper-covered thick board box, containing 22 cases, each holding 6 discs, plus the episode guide booklet and a picture card of Barnabas autographed by Jonathan Frid.  The UPC and limited edition numbering (mine is 801 out of 2500) is on a sticker on the bottom.  It's big and heavy, and the case is going to take up most of a bookshelf, unless I just take the amaray cases out of it and put those on the shelf and pack the coffin away somewhere.

I haven't carefully compared the extras with all of the individually-sold MPI special documentary-type discs, but it looks like all that stuff is included (it doesn't include the episode edits and compilations, like "Haunting of Collinwood"--since of course all that material is part of the complete original series).  The inclusion of those 5 extra discs along with the complete series makes this a really great value.  For anybody still wanting this, it's worth checking around for vendors who still have copies not spoken for.  Good luck!!    [snow_kiss]

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »
Ordered mine from importcds.com this morning for $382.98 shipped and already have gotten a shipping notification.  First time using the store but I am encouraged at the turnaround time.  They still show the set as available, FYI.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2012, 03:20:04 AM »
Seems those who got it early are rather lucky, as TVShowsonDVD is reporting the official release date has been changed again:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series/16725

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2012, 12:28:44 AM »
Amazon has the complete set available again for purchase. I have a feeling all 2500 will soon be sold out. I got mine from DeepDiscount and its number 1073/2500. http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Complete-Original-Series/dp/B006Z7Z3KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332974518&sr=8-1

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:53 AM »
I got my set today.  This thing is beautiful... and HUGE.  I have uploaded several pics of the set to PhotoBucket for anyone who is interested:  http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p575/DarkShadowsFan/