Author Topic: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD  (Read 14653 times)

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2012, 04:04:02 AM »
you know what i hate? how some of these cases from the various sets of various shows i own on dvd aren't really all that. i'm not talking about the content mind you. my "Nightmare On Elm Street" could have had used better cases. & from using taking these out of the box & so forth  kinda ruined the box. cause on how it was made. plus the various times of putting it on the shelf. & the other dvd's rubbing up against it.

the cases for the "Harry Potter" collection at least the dvd collection ya know the BIG ASS collection they have out? that's got like 4 or 5 discs? i forget what they are called? anyways these cases they use are crap.
you take these boxes out & it's a pain to take those out & no matter HOW hard to try to keep these things in good condition. these boxes wear out. & it looks like you aren't doing anything whatsover to keep them in any kind of good shape.  the "CSI" boxes have gotten better actually so that's a plus. so my point is,

i hope this box that MPI does i hope it's a good one. even if i don't plan on buying it. the dvd cases well the thin ones i think are pretty well made. the fatter boxes i don't think aren't. cause i get tired of having to put those together if i open it to wide. unlike with the thin boxes i don't have no problem with it.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:29 AM »
I have the complete set of Wild, Wild West. The box is rectangular, but it's fashioned to look sort of like a saddle. The DVDs are housed in stirrup shaped containers. Very cool.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
Okay, so news of this set has brought me back to the forum after what... 5 or 6 years at least?  LOL  It's good to be back and warm/fuzzy that my username is still active... can't wait for the new movie to come out!

FYI, Amazon has the set at $419.99 again.  Meanwhile, Deep Discount has it for $361.65.  I'd prefer to order from Amazon and submitted the "tell us about a lower price" thingy at the bottom of their product page for the set.  Maybe if we all did the same they'd match the price.  Might want to also submit the DVD Planet price, which is around the same as Deep Discount. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »
Wow - that Deep Discount price is significantly cheaper!  [snow_wow]  And that isn't normally the case.  Thanks so much for the info.

And welcome back, ShadowsAtlanta! It's very nice to see you posting again.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:23 AM »
It's been reported to be available for pre-order at $319.00 at this site.  I only report what I have been told--I haven't used the site, nor have I checked up on the current status of the pricing:

http://www.importcds.com/Movies/2372026/Dark-Shadows-Dark-Shadows-Complete-Original-Series-DVD

I do wonder how they can get away with this since MPI's retail price is $600--that's almost 50 percent off.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:34 AM »
Well, Amazon often sells their DVD/Blu-rays for more than 50% off the list price - and they say they still make a profit on those sales. So that only goes to show how huge the list price markup has to be over the wholesale price.  [snow_shocked]

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
And welcome back, ShadowsAtlanta! It's very nice to see you posting again.  [snow_smiley]
  Thanks!  It's great to be back.   [snow_smiley]

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2012, 03:17:13 AM »
I received a catalog from mpi in today's mail.
They have dropped the price of the individual sets to $24.98.
It says they will be discontinued.
Regarding the complete box set, it says that the collector's postcard is personally signed by Jonathan, so it sounds like it's his actual autograph and not a pre-print.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2012, 05:18:57 AM »
Wow.  I wonder if MPI is about to lose (or give up) the rights to distribute DS on home video?  Since the box set is being touted as a limited edition, it will presumably only be available for a set time.

Has Warners/Universal/Megaleviathan assumed the rights to distribute the series or planning to do so if the Depp movie franchise takes off?  Or will the series simply go OP?

I always thought it was phenomenal that Dark Shadows remained in print on home video, and made the transition from VHS to DVD so successfully to the point where ALL episodes have been available now for close to 20 years.

It'll be sad to think that there may be a period when it won't be available.  Feels like the ending of an era.

G.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 05:26:14 AM »
So I noticed this on Amazon the other day ... all the sets are being "released on April 3, 2012" ... no images, but all are $39.98 and say they star Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall.  Here's the link to the Beginning, Collection 1:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Begininng-Collection-1/dp/B0070B9R5G/ref=sr_1_9?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1328588669&sr=1-9
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 05:38:49 AM »
Very weird.  I just looked and the listings for the regular box sets are still there, too.  Some are for sale "new" or "used" for $15.00.

Wonder what's going on? New packaging with references to the Depp project?

G.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »
Before I start a panic, I should be more specific.
After re-reading the catalog, I want to clarify.
This is what the catalog says: This packaging will be discontinued and no longer available upon inventory running out.
That probably means they are just going to repackage the series like Nicky pointed out in her post about amazon's new listing, but the catalog does not mention this.

IMO, I don't think mpi has given up the rights--just discontinuing the old packaging in favor of new packaging.
Sorry for the confusion.

The catalog does not say they are going to be re-pack

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
Oh, I wasn't panicking. Just expressing regret.

Nicky is a boy, btw.  (I know him in what is laughingly referred to as "real life.")

cheers, G.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
Everything Ezra, er, Gothy told you is true.  :)
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
This article features details about Dark Shadows - Fan Favorites and Dark Shadows - The Best of Barnabas:

Dark Shadows - Details/Extras for 'The Complete Original Series'; Art and Info About 2 Other Low-End Titles

Interesting choice of eps. But, of course, it's probably not likely that any two DS fans are actually going to agree on their 9 favorite eps in any category MPI might come up with.  [snow_wink]  Though having 9 full eps on The Best of Barnabas DVD is infinitely better than just adding 150 more minutes of random Barnabas scenes to the original MPI VHS compilation...