Author Topic: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD  (Read 14671 times)

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Re: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
The packaging reminds me a bit of the Buffy complete series boxed set. Not that that set is in the shape of a coffin - but the discs are in individual boxes that form a photo when stacked in order.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
Collinwood.net mentions that a scene between Barnabas and Maggie has been restored to episode 695, in addition to the restoration of the Bathia Mapes blooper.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of everything that is missing from the original DVDs?  Also, I wonder if MPI will offer any sort of disc replacement to those of us who bought all of the individual sets.  If the discs are configured in the same way, they could do so, and it would be a nice gesture.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
Don't know about everything that will be restored, but some of the missing stuff that will be was discussed in this topic:

DS DVD set 12 out already!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
Holy Moly.  I missed the discussion about the edit in set 12 and Stuart's assertion that these edits came via the Worldvision remastering.  ugh.

I had thought that the edits stopped around set 7 or 8 of the main series, but evidently this was not the case.

If MPI releases a collection of the episodes that suffered the most egregious edits in pristine form, that I would buy.  It's probably only a handful.  Perhaps the only two that have been fixed, however, are the ones mentioned.

There was a tape flaw in one of my favorite episodes, the one where a crazed Julia Hoffman comes stumbling into Collinwood ranting about Tom.  That episodes starts with Mrs J doing a great little scene about the curse on the family, if I recall aright.  Julia's scene with Roger was included on one of the gum cards.  The flaw was this loud metallic screech that apparently was the result of a mechanical defect, possibly during the original taping in 1968.  I must go check the disc release and see if a bit of that scene was snipped...

G.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »
I was wondering that too Claude, after spending nearly $2K to buy the series on DVD, not to mention whatever I paid for the several dozen VHS tapes, it would be nice to get those "fixed edit" DVDs replaced.

As for storage issues, I kept the inserts and tossed all the plastic cases and slipped the DVDs into a very large CD wallet. It definitely takes up A LOT less space!

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2012, 06:14:03 AM »
i would NEVER do that to any dvd. the cases may not be the best. i do HATE the fat ones, the thin ones i like though. as for MPI putting out the separate discs for us to have the correct episodes. i'd love that but the thing is, i don't think i kept any of the receipts for most of my sets. a couple of them i may have. but some i got as gifts for X-mas. & so i didn't have the receipts. plus none of them

i bought from MPI. Volume 2 i think didn't come with an insert. but i never contacted MPI cause my guess is they'd need proof that you in fact bought it. & it's been years now since i bought it. & i think i long threw that reciet out. sorry about my spelling.  as for this big set goes, it looks pretty sweet. & tempting but still

buying the show a 2nd time. & for that kind of money is just not worth it. once is enough. & if the show ever does go on blu-ray i'll prolly buy it. but i really doubt it will. so that'd be a 3rd time. buying the show once is enough for me. i didn't buy any of the VHS tapes when they were out back than. too much money. & far tooo many volumes. which is why i waited until it came to dvd.

though when i do watch it, it each time feels strange NOT to see or hear that "Worldwide Vision" or whatever that company was called logo. he he

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
My horror movie collection alone  is 300+ DVDs, not including DS, so space becomes an issue after that! I figure I'm never going to part with them so why do I need to have the cases taking up all that space?

Maybe instead of receipts MPI would just let you mail in the old DVD in exchange for the replacement. That would definitely be proof of purchase.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »
Fox issued its final season of Mary Tyler Moore with a flaw on the last disc.  All you had to do was call up and ask for a replacement disc and they sent it to you.  No proof of purchase or anything necessary. 

As much as I dislike Fox's home video department for what they have done with so many TV titles, they handled that quite well.  Really great customer service.  But I guess they figured they ought to after the mess that was the release of the MTM DVDs. 

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
The packaging reminds me a bit of the Buffy complete series boxed set.

That was my first thought exactly. The complete Buffy is a good looking set, but the stacked cardboard digipacks are unwieldy and easily damaged. I'll probably end up doing something like Arashi, keeping the discs in a wallet or a case of some kind, and packing the cardboard "coffin" away someplace safe.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:15 AM »
or "The Nightmare On Elm Street" dvd set. well when it 1st came on dvd in (1999) that is. though cool looking i HATE the cases they choose. at some point i'll prolly end up buying those films on blu-ray. but i'm i guess waiting for them to do something with the releases. which is to my knowledge isn't with their current releases.

sorry for going off topic a bit. but i was also using an example. i haven't yet gotten around to buy any of the "Mary Tyler Moore" shows on dvd yet.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »
yep:

[thumb]

nope:

[undb]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
Thanks Retzev for the pics.

Did MPI just raise the price from $419 to $539? http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Complete-Jonathan-Frid/dp/B006Z7Z3KY

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:37 AM »
Did MPI just raise the price from $419 to $539?

No, Amazon reduced their discount from 30% to 10%.  MPI hasn't changed the list price, which is still $599.98.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 02:14:46 AM »
Thanks KMR for the explanation. That is a substantial difference. The current price has scared me away for sure. Hopefully the price will fall in the future.