Author Topic: O/T "Uninvited" alert!  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
O/T "Uninvited" alert!
« on: February 05, 2003, 07:14:47 PM »
This movie was mentioned a number of times when we were all discussing "Good" and "Bad" horror.

It's scheduled to be shown this afternoon at 2pm on AMC.....at least according to what my local Cable company told my local TV Guide ::)

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: O/T "Uninvited" alert!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 07:37:03 PM »
Thanks, Rainey. I just love that movie.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 09:53:40 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Rainey, although I'm not at home to record it.  I'll check my tv guide in case they show it again in the near future.  It's a classic!
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 12:11:54 AM »
    I just finished watching the movie.  I hate AMC.  The new AMC puts in way too many interruptions.  I think I will check and see if "The Uninvited" is available in DVD.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 01:51:46 AM »
Raineypark and Onyx_Treasure,

I hear you!  This is a wonderfully understated supernatural flick featuring Ray Milland (sort of like the always understated Bill Shatner's performance in "The Devil's Rain," nah, I'm only kidding!).

I agree about AMC's terrible decision to interrupt their movies.  I much preferred it when AMC ran their movie presentations without any interruptions and, also, with those introductory and concluding comments/anecdotes by their (now, apparently out of job) hosts, Bob Dorian, John Burke and Nick Clooney.

Turner Classic Movie (TCM) and local PBS stations have aired "The Uninvited" without commercial interruptions.  I wish AMC would also go back to their former film presentation format.

Bah Humbug, AMC!!!

Bob the Bartender, unabashed movie junkie.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 01:59:43 AM »
I just wish they'd go back to the old movies they used to show!  Instead of the usual dreck they're showing now.  I know....movie rights get sold around like...well, I won't go there.  But why do they always seem to be sold to premium channels I DON'T get, as opposed to all the ones I'm already paying to get! >:(

By the way, Bob....are we still arguing about whether the actress who played Michael Corleone's bride in Italy (Apollonia) is the mother of the lovely actress who played Malena?  I'm SURE I read that somewhere!!!

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2003, 02:20:18 AM »
 I much preferred it when AMC ran their movie presentations without any interruptions and, also, with those introductory and concluding comments/anecdotes by their (now, apparently out of job) hosts, Bob Dorian, John Burke and Nick Clooney.

I am with you on the uninterruped movies - none of the 'movie' channels do that anymore it seems! and some of  those old 'rerun' channels were the only place to see some of the classics like the above. AMC also used to have cool blocks of music movies on saturday nite, but they dropped that, too!

[side note for music fans - the Queens Jubilee Concert is gonna be on PBS tonite if you missed the VH1 shows, and this is supposed to be different, anyway - 9pm Eastern]

and RE: John Burke - several years ago, he came to my house once [at 4 AM!] to put my Beatles collection on his old 'Supercollectors' show on the original FX network! [still got the T-Shirt!]  A huge satellite truck pulled up in front of the house, with huge cable snakes running into the house - I told the neighbors NOT to watch 'America's Most Wanted' next episode!  He wanted a 'YES' poster I had, too.  Nice dude!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2003, 03:28:51 AM »
I don't know what happened to AMC - it obviously lost its head.  It actually has more commercial interruptions than "regular" TV within the movie telecasts.  They use to recently allow one to leave an opinion regarding the "new" AMC on their website, and I left plenty-a opinions, believe you me.  Undoubtedly, AMC will ultimately vanish from the airwaves.  Such a waste of what once was quality television.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2003, 04:41:00 AM »
Raineypark,

Hey, what's wrong with the "dreck" like "Strange Invaders," "Mr. Mom," "American Graffiti, Part Two," and the drolly amusing "Night Shift," all certified cinematic classics (certified classic by Soupy Sales, I'll have you know) on the AMC Channel?

You can keep your "Some Like It Hot" or your "Gone With the Wind."  I'll take Leo Gorcey and the immortal Huntz Hall in "Spooks Run Wild" or Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty in the witty and clever "Ishtar" any day of the week, thank you very much!

Bob the Bartender

PS You know, Appolonia may very well be Malena's mama mia.  ( I know, sure as shooting, that Abigail Collins ain't Malena's mom!)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2003, 08:18:49 AM »
Bob
i do actually like Night shift funny movie esp the nephew who states Barney Rubble is a great actor!
besides the sponsers Do you think they do this for those of us who tape movies just to wreck then for us?
(forces one to go out to buy one instead!guess they are not fools!)

jennifer

i was able to shampoo my downstairs rugs on one of the AMC commercial breaks it was so long! LOL
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2003, 12:43:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! I love that movie! [thumb]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 05:14:51 PM »
I don't know what happened to AMC - it obviously lost its head.  It actually has more commercial interruptions than "regular" TV within the movie telecasts.  They use to recently allow one to leave an opinion regarding the "new" AMC on their website, and I left plenty-a opinions, believe you me.  Undoubtedly, AMC will ultimately vanish from the airwaves.  Such a waste of what once was quality television.

Gerard

That is so sad!  AMC used to be the one channel that had almost no commercials at all.  Good riddance, I say!

Remember back some 20 years ago when this new thing called cable tv promised commercial free television?  What a joke!

I'm glad that I renewed my membership to PBS; yes, their pledge drives can be long and annoying, but at least they actually seem to be improving in the last year or so.  That's more than can be said for most cable tv programming these days.  

There might come a day when I get rid of cable altogether; with all the commercials and the general drop in quality, why spend the money?  I'm already paying almost $40/month and that doesn't include any of the premium channels like HBO and Showtime - not that they interest me.

Like so many things, with cable tv we keep paying more while getting less.  
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 01:35:24 AM »
What's worse is that they chop up the movies. I was home and watched The Uninvited yesterday and it's so annoying to see how much gets cut in the name of commercials.

I do love the film though. Creeps me out every time I see it. Interesting cast. I think it was Gail Russell's first film--she had an unfortunate life and death, but she had an almost ethereal quality in this movie. Elizabeth Russell (no relation) was the model for Mary Meredith. She was in several Val Lewton films (Cat People, The Seventh Victim, Curse of the Cat People and Bedlam.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2003, 04:32:05 AM »
I recently got cable again after an absence of about 6 years.  AMC used to be one of the better channels you could get on basic.  Not any more.  I can't find anything I really want to watch on the channel anymore.

I think I may have read it here recently but a Bruce Springstein quote went something like..."Cable, 57 channels and nothing is on"...  

And...they stuck Dark Shadows on at 7am!!  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf