Author Topic: New Dangers Exposed in the Wake of Slammer  (Read 952 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
New Dangers Exposed in the Wake of Slammer
« on: February 04, 2003, 07:53:01 AM »
Sometimes the board has seemed a bit slow, but I thought it may be our connection, as many sites have been slower than they should be lately.

And I think the whole board was just moving rather slowly, at least for me.

Excerpt from this week's issue (February 3rd) of eWEEK:

"In the 'ouch, that's gotta hurt' category is the recent rampage of the SQL Slammer worm. The worm spread rapidly across the globe targeting SQL servers, slowing Internet traffic, tripping up some ATM networks and blacking out big chunks of Internet access in countries such as technology-savvy South Korea. Of course, all this happened within days of Bill Gates' memo outlining the 'significant progress' Microsoft has made in its security initiatives. What's to learn from this latest attack? Hackers are speeding through the learning curve. Relying on patches to secure computer sites is a patchwork approach in itself. For the full story, see our news package (Page 1) on the Slammer attack and the response from the IT community."

Anyone who might like to read the article referred to can read it online here. You'll also find links to several others articles about the Slammer worm there, including the one this article refers to as being on Page 12: "Laborious Updates Leave SQL Databases Unpatched," which, IMO anyway, shows one of the major flaws in the way Microsoft does business. >:(

Connie

Re: New Dangers Exposed in the Wake of Slammer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 07:59:58 AM »
Hackers are speeding through the learning curve. Relying on patches to secure computer sites is a patchwork approach in itself.

OMG, I don't understand ANY of this.  I don't even know what an SQL server is.  Think I better go read the article.  (But if it starts getting too technical, I'm outta there).  LOL

;D

PS  The only patchwork I know about is in quilting.  :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 04:02:16 PM »
Gee....that article sounded a little like what happens around here: "somebody' who knows all about the computer gets lazy about things like replacing a firewall....Then there's 'trouble'....and then it gets fixed! ::)

rainey  
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 12:54:41 AM »
Well, I read it, but still don't know what SQL means.
But...I've got Verizon online...I BELIEVE this article is saying that IPs need to start getting on the ball.

Patti
(oh, BTW...when I called Verizon this a.m., and of course was on hold for the obligatory 20 minutes, was told, it's not our problem if you're being hacked into)....
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 01:29:26 AM »
(oh, BTW...when I called Verizon this a.m., and of course was on hold for the obligatory 20 minutes, was told, it's not our problem if you're being hacked into)....

It isn't. All ISPs do is provide you with Internet access. It's everyone's responsibility to make their own computers as safe as possible. It is, however, the ISPs' responsibility to make their own servers safe.