Author Topic: Popped in a Tape...  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Popped in a Tape...
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:21:45 AM »
I haven't watched any DS in more than 1-2 years.
I popped in a VHS (from when we used to tape SciFi); what a HOOT!!
The episodes were right before JebEZ is to [spoiler]marry Carolyn and take his mantle of power!!!![/spoiler]
There WERE ZOMBIES!!!! (I was cracking up!!)
Bruno WAS THERE!!!
HAA WAS THERE!!!!
Wow!
Soooo many monsters!!!!
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Popped in a Tape...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
And Barnabas and Julia!  I miss them so much now that the Watching Project is on the pre-Barnabas episodes!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
Yes Lydia...but, just think how much more we will appreciate them once they're 'back'.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
Thanks for this post, Patti.  I thought I was the only DS fan on the planet who truly appreciates the delirium that is late Leviathans.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:32:50 PM »
I always loved it that late in almost every story line, the writers just threw everything but the kitchen sink into the mix just to bring the story to an end. It's like everyone knows that nothing makes sense but they just go along and do the show anyway.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:26:27 AM »
The more story threads and characters there are bumping into each other and interacting, the more I like it!   That'll keep me interested even when the writing's not good.   One great late-Leviathans thing:[spoiler]vampire Megan![/spoiler] We hardly knew ye...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »
The storylines got crazy but the character relationships were never more nuanced. I loved Julia's slowly learning to trust Barnabas again. Willie's return is well handled and his choice to help Barnabas is well done. Roger finally stops being a skeptic about the supernatural. His acceptance of the paranormal is very well handled. Angelique is genuinely sympathetic and has become almost as tragic a character as Barnabas.  The scenes at the old house where she learns that Barnabas is once more a vampire are some of my favorites. She seems genuinely surprised and saddened by this. And Barnabas seems to have forgiven her for cursing him the first time. What a shame that we didn't get to see their relationship evolve to the next level. The 1840 revelation that he loves Angelique comes out of left field. It seems more natural here.
Fade Away and Radiate

David

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:29:22 AM »
what's a tape?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:49:18 AM »
what's a tape?

Maybe it was here on our beloved board, maybe on another - I don't remember - but somebody recounted that they were watching a rerun of DS and it was the scene, set in PT1970 when the "Angelique's Theme" record was placed in the phonograph.  The child of the parent who was watching the scene was completely confused at what was going on regarding the record and the phonograph and asked:  "What's that?"

We're getting old, many of my beloved DS cousins here.  We're getting old.  But don't pull out the Geritol and overdose on it, my beloved DS cousins!  I've read several news reports where those vinyl discs and turn-tables are making a significant come-back.  It turns out that they still posses the best clarity of anything that has come down the pike, whether CD's or whatever.  It turns out that what we had back "in da good ol' days" is still the best.  Now, as one of the ancient cousins here, let me tell you youngin whippersnappers how I had to run home after school, in a blizzard during a June heatwave with no air-conditioning, 40 miles, uphill, to watch DS on a B&W TV set with only three viewable channels that required a rodar (e-mail me privately to explain what that was) and had knobs for on/off (and the TV had to be "warmed up" before we got any image - e-mail me about that, too), channel changing and volume.  Oh, and don't forget about adjusting the horizontal (again, e-mail...oh, never mind).

Gerard

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:10:24 AM »
Warming up the set to watch Dark Shadows is how I got hooked on One Life to Live.  [ghost_smiley]
Fade Away and Radiate