Author Topic: Forest of Oshden  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Forest of Oshden
« on: January 30, 2003, 07:44:23 AM »
The hand of Count Petofi has "powers that were granted in the Forest of Oshden."

Any ideas how the DS writers might have come up with this idea of powers being granted to a cut-off hand, if that's what Magda meant by this?

And also the idea of the "Forest of Oshden" itself -- where did the writers come up with that? (I'm spelling "Oshden" the way it sounds to me.) The only thing I could think of last time this ran was that the name sounded a little like Shakespeare's the Forest of Arden in "As You Like It."

It seems a lot of things relating to Count Petofi were never fully explained.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Forest of Oshden
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 12:46:17 AM »
Vlad,

SPOILER!!!

SPOILER!!!

Yeah, like where did the count get the world's last unicorn?  By the way, wasn't there a song about a unicorn by some pre-U2 Irish rock and roll band back during the halcyon days of the swinging 1960's?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 03:42:16 AM »
By the way, wasn't there a song about a unicorn by some pre-U2 Irish rock and roll band back during the halcyon days of the swinging 1960's?

The group name was The Irish Rovers. (I think.)

Dom

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 07:34:39 AM »
Today it sounded like Quentin said "ARshdon."  Makes it difficult to do a search on this word to see if it could be a real place ... Ozchden?  Arzhdon?  There are so many possibilities.

The hand of Count Petofi has "powers that were granted in the Forest of Oshden." ... Any ideas how the DS writers might have come up with this idea of powers being granted to a cut-off hand, if that's what Magda meant by this?

I had completely forgotten that I had some notes on this that may answer my own question; I discovered them among some papers last night ...

Although the story "The Monkey's Paw" by W. W. [need to check the last name -- but please note, the story in question is NOT by Guy de Maupassant!] is often cited as being the inspiration for the hand of Count Petofi, I tend not to think that's it.  For one thing, there's a big difference between a monkey's paw and a human hand.

A more interesting possibility is the Hand of Glory.  I believe that this is a concept from European pagan times -- it's a severed hand invested with magical powers.

There is a Hand of Glory on display somewhere in Yorkshire. It is supposed to be the hand of an executed criminal that was cut off and thereby has occult powers.

Perhaps there's no one single "source" that sparked the DS writers' imagination, or it could be an old movie that I don't know about.

In a discussion regarding the Head of Judah Zachary, Luciaphil informed us that the inspiration for the head came from an old B-movie, "The Thing That Couldn't Die."  After seeing the movie, I would agree that that seems to be the direct "source" for the head of JZ, in that it's a severed head that controls people with its powers.  On the other hand, severed heads that continue to live and talk are common in many world mythologies (including Norse).  One might ask what the inspiration was for the writers of "The Thing That Couldn't Die" ... I think it was a short story, but then how did THAT writer come up with the idea?

Perhaps these are more or less archetypes that recurr in stories and legends.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 09:03:49 AM »
The hand of Count Petofi has "powers that were granted in the Forest of Oshden."

It seems a lot of things relating to Count Petofi were never fully explained.

you can say that again would have liked to seen a flashback to the history of Petofi!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2003, 09:09:36 AM »
would have liked to seen a flashback to the history of Petofi!

Me too!

I bet if they'd have had Petofi show up in present real time (instead of the 1840 (or was it 41?) PT, the show would have sustained better ratings and have lasted longer.

(guessing) dom

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2003, 09:37:22 AM »

The group name was The Irish Rovers. (I think.)

Dom

a big happy hour song around here!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2003, 04:19:37 PM »
Jennifer,
             Don't tell me you go to the Irish Pub in Harwitch?  Irish Rovers, happy hours, Southy on St. Patricks day, The Tip in Worc., oh memories...  Sorry off Topic.

Birdie--Why am I now singing " I have been a wild rover.."
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2003, 05:26:32 AM »
Jennifer,
             Don't tell me you go to the Irish Pub in Harwitch?  Irish Rovers, happy hours, Southy on St. Patricks day, The Tip in Worc., oh memories...  Sorry off Topic.

Birdie--Why am I now singing " I have been a wild rover.."

on rt 28 i have been there! some day we'll have to make a list of everywhere we have been in Mass and compare LOL
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2003, 06:38:32 PM »
Dom,

Thank you.  I belive that you are correct about the name of that 1960's Irish R&R band, The Irish Rovers.  (I wonder if the original members of the band have ever done one of those popular reunion concert tours?)

Jennifer and Birdie,

The Glocomora (sp.?), a bar on Third Avenue, has always been a great spot for Irish music and conviviality.  However, there have been times when I have been stuck in traffic on Canal St. (as a passenger, of course!), heading towards the Holland Tunnel, that I wish that I had had one less stout of Guiness to enjoy, if you "know" what I mean.  (I guesss that good, old Sam Evans had the same "problem" as he made his way back to his cottage after a night of merriment at the Blue Whale!)

Bob the Bartender, who diligently tries to avoid coming down with the "Irish virus."

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 05:19:52 AM »
Bob, we call it food poisoning around here.  One of my friends swears she get it every time she has more than one drink.  There must be something wrong with the popcorn or nachos

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2003, 01:26:17 AM »
one less stout of Guiness to enjoy, if you "know" what I mean.

Is that that interesting tasting stuff that looks like bilge water? I had never had it until over the holidays!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2003, 02:51:26 AM »
BTW, the story "The Monkey's Paw" is by W. W. Jacobs, a scary story I remember was popular in junior high school.

OT - Can't believe the way I've been cluttering up the board with so many posts lately -- guess it's sort of a "last hurrah" as I am starting a very intensive professional commitment this week and won't have much time for extracurricular activities.  Though I'll probably make a post regarding Count Petofi.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2003, 06:35:57 AM »
OT - Can't believe the way I've been cluttering up the board with so many posts lately -- guess it's sort of a "last hurrah" as I am starting a very intensive professional commitment this week and won't have much time for extracurricular activities.  Though I'll probably make a post regarding Count Petofi.

I'm sorry to hear that we may be losing you for a while, Vlad.  Your viewpoints are always enjoyable!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2003, 05:06:24 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that we may be losing you for a while, Vlad.  Your viewpoints are always enjoyable!

Ditto that - hurry back, Vlad.  And good luck with your professional commitments!!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.