Author Topic: Robservations 1/28/03 - #784-785  - A Sudden Marriage; Magda Takes a Desperate Chance  (Read 1281 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
784 - (Grayson Hall) - Collinwood, 1897--Barnabas Collins' mission to the past has been thrown into jeopardy by the discovery that he is a vampire.  And now, even while he tries to help Quentin with the legendary hand of Oshden, he must hide in a secret cave from those who would end his curse forever.

Evan advises Barnabas, who has his back turned away from the cross, not to walk out into the light--I don't want to be deprived of an interesting conversation.  How did you find me? asks Barnabas.  I would think you would be more interested in knowing what I plan to do now that I have, says Evan--I understand you can disappear at will, but where would you go, without another coffin for you to go to--an unfortunate lack of foresight).  Have you brought a hammer and stake, or six silver bullets? asks Barnabas.  Which would you prefer? queries Evan.  Do whatever you want with me, says Barnabas with dignity, but do it now--I'll stand with my back to you; take out your pistol, if that's what's to be, and get it over with--if it's to be the end, let it be now.  Evan, holding up the cross, smiles.

The cock crows.  You're quite right, Evan tells Barnabas, you have very little time and there is much I want to know--should I lower the cross, so we can look at each other?  Evan does so.  Barnabas turns and says, I don't trust you.  Evan agrees--I'm not to be trusted--but I'm not going to kill you now.  Later, says Barnabas, of course.  Depends, says Evan.  I don't want to be at your mercy, says Barnabas.  Evan grins, big, enjoying himself--you have no choice, he tells the vampire, You're at my mercy as long as I wish it to be so--I find you fascinating to have under my control, and feel you knows much I would wish to know.  "So I am to be impaled by a pin and put under a microscope," says Barnabas.  "No, Mr. Hanley."  You'll enjoy it eventually, maintains Evan--you've forgotten the pleasures of confession.  I never knew them, insists Barn, and don't plan to start now.  The question is academic, says Evan.  Are you going to make me your personal secret? Wonders Barnabas.  That depends, says Evan--the hand, Mr. Collins, from the forest of Oshden.  You're a romantic, says Barnabas--I'll have to explain it all when I have more time.  I have read about the Hand of Count Petofi in a thousand books, says Evan.  I know nothing, says Barnabas, but admire your imagination and sense of fantasy.  "I want the hand that cured Charity Trask," insists Evan.  Barnabas whirls around.
"Ah, so you do remember now?" asks Evan cunningly.  "NO!" shouts Barnabas.  Stop lying to me, orders Evan--I want the hand that removed your marks from her neck, the saved her from becoming a vampire and your slave--"I have brought you some news.  Give me the hand, Mr. Collins."  I don't have it, says Barnabas, but I can tell you who does.  Is it in the cave? Asks Evan--should I wait for the light and then search?  No, says Barnabas, it's not here.  When will it be? asks Evan.  At dusk, says Barnabas.  I will return then, Evan vows.  And I must be alive at dusk if you're to get it, says the vampire, and you are to keep my secret.  I'm good at keeping secrets, Evan assures him, you'll find that out--until dusk--and if you fail me, it will be the last dusk you ever see.  Evan holds one hand over the cross, but waves it at him warningly.  Evan leaves the cave and Barnabas retires for the day.

Collinwood - Judith is stunned when Trask reveals the truth about Barnabas--so Barnabas was the secret that Grandmama wanted to tell us! says Judith, amazed--sometimes I think the family is cursed.  The evil men do live after them, says Trask.  I'm ashamed at what you must think of us, says Judith.  "I make no judgments, Judith," he says, "it is not my province."--I have come on a very sad mission.  She's upset--what's happened? she asks.  It's been in my mind, a battle raging endlessly even in the midst of her tragedy, he says.  I want to help you, insists Judith.  I have decided to close Worthington Hall and leave Collinsport forever, says Trask.  This boggles Judith's mind.  No! she cries.  Trask admits, it's been a difficult decision, and I don't want you to dissuade me.  You must reconsider, she insists, for the sake of the children.  I can't think of them, says Trask.  I think you're leaving because of my family, says Judith, and all that has happened.  No, he says, just one of the Collinses has made me come to this decision.  Judith guesses Edward, then Quentin, but Trask pretends he can't confess at first.  Then he tells her, reluctantly, YOU are the one.  Have I done something to offend you? she asks.  No, you've been here, he says, and that's the reason I must leave--you're in this house, and I'm no more than 10 minutes away, thinking of you, wondering what you're doing (with your money), contemplating your goodness, faith, your hold on the virtues of life (and all that money)--"Oh, Judith, I cannot bear it any longer!  You would never consider marrying me!"  (Whoa baby, his wife isn't even cold yet!)  Judith is shocked--marry you?  "Judith, would you marry me?" he asks.  She stares at him, stunned by his proposal.

Judith looks angry at first.  She rises from the sofa, silent.  He apologizes--I thought I had learned to contain my natural impetuousness--you're insulted by my presumption (Judith interrupts and says that isn't true), "but believe me, Judith, even in my innermost thoughts in my wildest dreams, I know there is no hope for my suit, but at least now you know the real reason I must leave Collinsport--it is impossible!"  Judith interrupts his rant--I can't let you leave!  I know I have affronted you, he says, I'm sorry.  Stop it! Judith orders.  She walks toward him and says, no one has ever proposed to me before, something I've never admitted to anyone.  I can't believe it, says Trask.  Grandma said I frightened men away, admits Judith--I was too strong.  You were forced to be strong, says Trask, not your doing, your family position made you assume a burden you didn't want--it's my fondest dream to share that burden (especially all that money!) with you--I realize we are both thinking of Minerva--the circumstances of her death, the short time that has elapsed, it's all I can think of--I'll say nothing unkind about the dead, but the thought of a new life here, with you. . .  Judith smiles.  I can't deny myself the opportunity, says Trask--if you knew the hours I'd spent in prayer and contemplation (none!).  I know, she assures him.  We could marry, he says, but she hasn't said. . .  "Yes?" finishes Judith--"Is that what I've not said?--then I must say it--I will marry you, it will be an understanding between us--and after a proper period of time, we'll announce it."  Trask, undoubtedly overjoyed, says, we can't worry about what others think--do as your conscience guides you and you will not offend Leviticus.  Judith is unsure, but Trask presses--I know you are thinking of Edward and Quentin, but don't you owe yourself happiness?  Yes, she says, but we must be cautious.  We are being so, insists Trask--we're living according to a spiritual need for each other and must marry today, before someone comes between us, because they will try, he says passionately.  Oh, no, says Judith.  Your brothers will not be happy about our union, says Trask--they are too used to this home you have made for them--do you trust me?  Completely, she says.  "Then come with me now, and when we return we will be man and wife," he says, "united by God."  I can't be married this way, insists Judith.  You don't trust my judgment, says Trask.  Yes I do, Judith assures him.  If you did, he says, you'd come with me.  It can't happen this way, reiterates Judith, it will be such a shock to everyone!  They will learn to accept it, he says, and as for the people who talk, we won't hear them, for we shall be together (and he holds both her hands and kisses them).  Oh, Judith, he says, hugging her, "the impermanence of life, we've seen so many examples of it lately!--dare we waste this hour?"
No, she agrees, convinced.  He smiles.  "Come, let's go into the village now," he says.  "Yes, Gregory," she agrees, and they head out.

Barnabas waits outside the cave.  The wind is blowing hard.  He enters the cave, paces its tight confines.  Magda comes in, box in hand.  Barnabas angrily says, your psychic abilities failed you.   I'm here, she says, with the hand.  You took so long, complains Barnabas--he could have been here by now.  She's horrified to learn that Evan Hanley has learned of this hiding place, and about him, too, and that he wants the hand.  Magda nervously says, I'll dig a hole in the woods so he never finds it.  She starts to leave, but Barnabas stops her.  The hand is in my keeping; she reminds him--I'm not going to let Evan have it!  Barnabas insists, if I'm to complete my mission, I must outwit Evan, who's on his way.  Sarcastically, Magda reminds him, you've lived so cleverly for so many centuries and now. . .  Now, says Barnabas, I must depend on the hand.  He takes the box--will it work for us, do what must be done?  Magda doesn't know--I'm willing to try for Quentin, she says, because he must be free from his curse.  "And I must be free of Evan Hanley," says Barnabas--the hand cured Charity, if it can do good, can it also do evil?
Yes, Magda replies.  "Then you must make it turn Evan Hanley into my servant," insists Barnabas.  I don't know how, says Magda--it isn't my mind, my words that make it do as it does--no, it's the hand of Count Petofi, and somewhere in this world, or perhaps in another, somewhere, he is, and this hand does what he wants it to do--this hand, cut from his arm for a payment, it cannot stop from doing what he wants--legend says that some nights he cries for the hand to come back to him, but the hand cannot do that--my people have seen to that end of things, and it's the only thing the hand can deny him, she finishes smugly.  How mad the world has become, says Barnabas, that my, David and Chris' fates depend on a man we have never known.  In a chanting voice, Magda asks the hand, help us, save us--I did something bad, yes, I put a curse on my own kin, and now this man, he will make the curse stay unless you help us--he wants you, too!  Evan enters the cave, asking Magda if she's talking to herself.  He spies the hand--ah, she's talking to something far more interesting!  You're a man of your word, Evan praises Barnabas--"Give me the hand, please," says Evan.  Magda closes the box.

Evan orders Barnabas to tell Magda of the bargain they made--tell her to give me the hand.  If she does, it will do you no good, says Barnabas.  Nonsense, insists Evan, laughing.  The hand belonged to the most evil man in the world, says Barnabas, and if you look upon it while wearing the cross. . .  "What will happen?" asks Evan.  Magda advises Barnabas, let Mr. Hanley look upon it, see for himself.  Evan chuckles, then asks, did the two of you hash out this plot yourselves?--how clever you must have thought yourselves, but I won't remove my cross while I'm with Barnabas.  "Let it kill him," pronounces Magda.  No, says Barnabas--he didn't kill me while I rested, he was honest with me.  All right, agrees Magda, look at it, if you dare.  Holding the cross covered in his hand, he moves to opens the box.  "Leave the cave," demands Evan.  He reminds Barnabas, who at first refuses, you had better get used to taking orders from me.  "I am not accustomed to them," says Barnabas.  "All in due time," promises Evan.  Barnabas leaves Magda and Evan alone in the cave.  Evan takes off his cross, and slowly opens the box.

Judith, in the foyer, admires the big, fat wedding ring on her finger.  I can't believe it, she says.  You will, promises Trask.  It's wrong to feel the way I do, says Judith.  You will become accustomed to happiness, Trask assures her.  He looks around the drawing room.  We must do something about the room, he says, get rid of its frivolous air--you don't want anyone to think us frivolous.  No, she says, but many of them are keepsakes from the family.  We won't make changes quickly, he says.  Did we do the right thing? asks Judith.  Of course, says Trask--I know you're afraid of the family, but I will handle them.  He hugs her.  Leave everything to me, he says--you are going to be a proper wife.  Suddenly, Judith spies something hideous over her new groom's shoulder--Gregory's wife, Minerva!--I saw her! wails Judith.

Evan opens the box containing the hand, but receives a terrible shock--it rises from the box and attacks him, covering his face.  Magda, her own face contorting over the sight, covers her mouth with her hand.  Barnabas re-enters the cave.  They look down at Evan.  "He's dead," says Magda--"I know it!"  We can't take the chance of using the hand on Quentin, insists Barnabas.  She agrees.  She looks in the box; the hand is there.  Barnabas takes a lantern and holds it over Evan.  "Oh my God!" he cries.
Evan's face is a ruined mess, one eyeball popping out, his entire face distorted, like melted candle wax.  The hand has writ, and now it moves on!

NOTES:  Pretty good makeup job on HAA in that last scene--or did they just make up a dummy head?  Pretty gross!

Oh, can you imagine that Judith actually fell prey to Gregory's whirlwind courtship and elopement?  I know the poor woman is a spinster and probably starved for sex, but to marry a man whose wife is still probably warm in her grave is insane.  How could she not realize he's after her money?  Or does she care?  Big wedding ring there!

Great scene between Evan and Barnabas.  The hand of Count Petofi showed who had the upper "hand" (groan) in this situation, although Evan really had Barn by the short hairs in the earlier scene.  Barnabas is so dignified, and it was killing him to have to submit to such an SOB.

DS really stretches the imagination in wild, wicked and fun-filled ways!

785 - (Joan Bennett) - The time is the turn of the century.  A new day at Collinwood brings no answers to the terrifying questions that hang over the great estate.  And in the Old House, on its grounds, a gypsy puzzles over the powers of a mysterious hand--a hand that can do good--or do evil.

Old House - Magda toys with her necklace, looking down at Evan, who sits in the same chair that once hid Jenny from us.  (I guess it was moved from Collinwood.)  When Quentin knocks at the door, Magda leads Evan to the basement door and orders him down.  He just stands there.  Annoyed, she says, you don't understand "nothin'".  She urges him down.  Quentin bursts in when she opens the door, complaining, you took long enough.  He asks where Barnabas is.  He moved again, answers Magda, I don't know where.  Quentin is concerned about the expected full moon--what if it gets dark before Barnabas comes?--I'll turn into that animal.  Quentin hears a sound and knows someone is there--and heard me--who do you have locked in the basement?  Evan gazes out at Quentin, who gasps upon seeing the ruined face--but doesn't recognize him.  He asks Magda who it is, demanding to in a harsh voice as the creature gazes out at him.

Magda claims not to know the identity of the man locked in the basement.  I'm concerned the creature heard what I said, worries Quentin.  If you don't know who it is, says Magda, it doesn't matter.  Let him out, Q orders.  She refuses.  Give me the key, he demands, and takes it from her hand.  He frees the man.  Who are you?--what did you hear? asks quentin--you were listening!  He has no mind, says Magda, let him go!  Evan staggers unsteadily over to the same chair in which he was sitting as Quentin watches.  Why is he here? asks Q, and what does he have to do with me?  Nothing says Magda.  Quentin doesn't believe her--where did he come from?  I found him in the woods, says Magda--Barnabas told me to bring him here.  Why? asks Q suspiciously.  Perhaps he felt sorry for him, says Magda evasively.  Quentin demands the truth.  His mind has been destroyed, says Magda, we found him this way.  He has nothing to do with me? asks Q.  Yes, says Magda--go now!  Quentin grabs her arm--I want an explanation.  Upset, Magda tells  Q, return to Collinwood, I don't want to answer anymore questions.  All right, agrees Q, but what happens tonight when the moon starts to rise?--get rid of this man first, I don't want to hear it in front of me.  No, says Magda, *I* decide what happens in this house--I will show you what will happen here later tonight.  She leaves the room.  While she's gone, Quentin gazes at the man as if he's looking at a freak show.  He asks, did Magda tell me the truth about you--can't you hear me? Quentin kneels and stares at the man's face, even touching it, then backs away.  Magda brings out the box.  Quentin asks to see the hand.  Evan reacts, turning his head away.  The man is frightened, says Quentin.  Magda takes Evan and leads him away.  Why was the man frightened? asks Quentin--was it because of the hand?  He opens the box, wondering if the man has seen it before.  Quentin closes the box and walks away from it, declaring, it's enough to frighten anyone.  It will cure you, says Magda.  How? asks Q.  I'll place the hand on your heart, says Magda, and it will tear the curse from your body.  Are you sure? asks Q--I'm not sure you are.  I know the power of the hand, says Magda.  Quentin asks about the risks.  I can tell you better, she says, of your chance of changing tonight, or getting caught as a wolf.  Quentin doesn't want to hear those.  The hand isn't my servant, says Magda, I tell it what to do, yes, but it has powers I don't possess.
"What else can it do besides cure me?!" shouts Quentin.  Only the ancient gods know, says Magda, in truth, you must make up your mind.  Quentin looks down at the hand in the box and thinks, before all this happened to me, magic was a game, to be used for excitement on long winter evenings--the black arts!--know every world, not just the one around you--or that was my theory--I sure wish I knew the world as the rest of the world knows it, the world of living and dying, he says bitterly.  The clock chimes 2 PM.  You must decide by dusk, says Magda.  "Oh, God," he says despairingly, "Oh, God!"

A bit after 2:30, Collinwood - Judith is on the phone, trying to reach Evan, and without success.  She asks the operator to check the line again and gazes at her new wedding ring.  Edward returns home, Quentin right after him.  Edward notes Quentin's long face and says my trip to Bangor was not fun--I hate quick trips.  Quentin isn't sure how things are.  I hope that with everything going on, you would have stuck around for once, says Edward sourly.  Sorry to disappoint you, says Quentin, but I was enjoying the dubious pleasures of the village (bet that village rocks, huh).  On the phone, Judith says she doesn't understand, but thanks the operator for trying.  Edward reminds Quentin, you're a Collins as they enter the drawing room.  I wish I could forget that, says Quentin.  Judith, hiding her arms behind her back, asks Edward, did you have a pleasant trip?--I have news to tell you.  Good news? asks Edward--bad news everyone just blurts out.  (Judith is in hot pink, no mourning for Carl?)  I hoped dear Gregory would be here by the time you got back, says Judith.  I don't understand how Trask became so important to this family, remarks Edward--"dear Gregory," indeed--he's just a schoolmaster.  Judith turns around and says, he's more than that--"He's my husband."  Edward chokes on his drink.  "YOUR husband?" says Quentin, and bursts out laughing. Judith is annoyed he's making light of it.   "You married that man?" demands Edward. Yesterday, says Judith.
You're mad! says Edward.  "Did you expect Edward to have any other reaction, sister? asks Quentin--now do I say best wishes to the bride or is it congratulations?--you know, Granny always said one of them was for the groom, but I could never remember which one it was, so I shall say both to you."  He sips his drink.  Edward refuses to do either--I like Gregory as my son's tutor, but that doesn't mean I want him in the family.  Judith angrily says, you don't want anyone in the family--you never wanted me to marry.  Frankly, says Edward, I never thought anyone would have the courage to ask you.  (ooh, diss!)  He asked you because of the money, says Edward harshly.  "Don't say that!" orders Judith, and smacks her brother across the face.  Quentin stands by the fireplace, laughing.  Edward holds his cheek.  Quentin says, "You know, I'd completely forgotten how evenly matched as you two are--shall I serve as referee?"  Don't be vulgar! says Judith--Edward, Gregory will be living at Collinwood, I want nothing to interfere with my marriage.  Meaning, says Edward, if I don't like it, I can get out.  Entirely up to you, says Judith.  He reminds her, our grandmother's will specifies that Quentin and I can live here the rest of their lives.  Yes, says Judith, and if he show Gregory the respect and brotherly affection he deserves, you can happily live here.  Quentin tells Edward, marriage has turned Judith into an optimist.  You're right, for once, says Judith--marriage has changed me, and it will be a relief to have someone else take charge.  Of what? demands Edward.  I'm not going to concern myself with business, says Judith.  Edward reminds her, Grandmother left you with the money.  "I knew that was bothering you," says Judith.  And after you, it goes to my son, says Edward.  When he's 21, adds Judith.  What if you die before Jamison is 21? asks Edward.  Then dear Gregory will administer the estate, says Judith--I've drawn up the papers, and once Evan sees to it, it will be finalized.  "He certainly will not!" says Edward stuffily, taking the paper from her and looking it over.  "And there is not one thing in the world you can do to change it," says Judith.  Edward stomps out without another word.  He is very persistent, remarks Quentin.  Edward goes into the study, Judith chasing after him.  "He never wanted me to be happy," says Judith, "never."  Quentin asks, do you honestly believes in happiness?--I see you do and offers you some advice as a wedding present:  "Happiness does not exist."  And he runs upstairs.

Judith notices the drawing room doors have closed by themselves.  When she opens them, she finds her changed will ripped to pieces, scattered on the floor.  She hears a sound, and demands to know if someone is there.  She looks out the window, sees nothing, but gasps when she turns back to the desk and spots a bible with a letter opened stabbed into the page.  She reads, "The righteous perish, no man taketh it to heart.  None considering that the righteous are taken away, but the evil is still to come."  Who is doing this to me? asks Judith aloud--who?
On the wall is a drawn picture labeled MRS. TRASK.  "Minerva!" says Judith, and backs away from the picture.

5 PM - study - Edward angrily asks Quentin to stop looking at the clock.  Time is my hobby, says Q.  That means nothing, says Edward, focus on the problem at hand.  I have no solution, says Quentin.  We must find one, says Edward, we know why he married her.  I never really thought much about Judith's charms, says Quentin.  We both know that isn't why Trask married her, says Edward--if she thinks for one minute that HE will be master of Collinwood--Quentin, do you have plans tonight?--we should go see Evan--there must be a way of annulling this mistake.  "Don't count on me," warns Quentin.  Edward huffily says, in this we must be united.  "I SAID DON'T COUNT ON ME!" shouts Quentin, and leaves the room.

Judith answers the door to Magda.  "Ah the happy bride, best wishes, Lady," she says.  Judith asks, what do you want?  To see Quentin, says the gypsy.  I'm astonished you dare to come here, says Judith, considering you worked for Barnabas.  He is a Collins, like you, says Magda--all Collins are hard to work for.  Quentin enters.  Leave us alone, Judith, he tells his sister.  Judith leaves, first tossing Quentin a dirty look.  I had to know, says Magda, I had this feeling. . .if you don't try tonight, I feel you'll never be able to try again, and I trust my feelings.  I'll be there at dusk, promises Quentin.  Edward comes out.  Magda says, "Ah, Mr. Edward, you must be so happy to have a MAN in the family at last!" (oooh, nasty diss against both Quentin and Edward!) She laughs as she exits.   Edward asks Quentin what he's doing with Magda at dusk--are you turning down Evan Hanley for her?  "You'd never understand, Edward--ever," says Quentin.

Judith looks at the bible.  Edward comes in to talk sense into her, but she reminds him, I'm Mrs. Trask, Judith Trask--it's already done.  Do you regret it? asks Edward.  No, no matter what happens, says Judith--I will never regret it.  I promises to see that you do, vows Edward, stalking from the room.

Quentin first knocks at the door to the Old House, then lets himself in.  He calls upstairs to Magda--no response.  He sees the grotesque creature sitting in a chair and asks, who are you?  The man tries to talk, and manages to say, in a mangled voice, "I am Evan Hanley."  No! insists Quentin.  It's true, Evan insists.  Magda enters carrying the box containing the hand.  A nearly hysterical Quentin demands, "Is this really Evan?"  She nods.  Evan says, "The hand!"  Quentin grabs the box and shows it to Evan, who recoils from it.  Magda leads Evan away.  Quentin holds the box, looking like he isn't sure he wants anything to do with it.  Magda hides Evan down in the cellar.  Quentin opens the box.  The moon is rising, warns Magda, you had better decide.  It disfigured Evan's face, says Quentin, changed it so completely, what will it do to me?--"NO, I DON'T WANT ANY PART OF IT!" shouts Quentin, and is about to flee when he is overcome with the pain.  It isn't too late to use the hand, says Magda.  It won't help, says Quentin, his body twisting against the agony.  Whatever it does couldn't be worse than what you're going through now, she points out--let me try!  All right, agrees Quentin, try.  Magda takes the hand from the box and holds it in her own, asking that it invoke the powers granted in the forest of Oshden, that took the curse from Count Petofi--use these powers now to reach into this man's heart and remove the curse from him forever.
She places it on Quentin's chest. . .

NOTES:  Is Minerva's ghost actually haunting Judith or is this just part of Trask's big plan to drive her nuts and take her money?  Quentin and Edward were horrible to her; granted, they know Trask is only after her money, but they were so mean, I was glad when Magda made that excellent crack about there finally being a real man in the house.  Gooooo, Magda!  Evan seemed to recover his power of speech and brain power, too, enough to tell Quentin who he was.  I can understand Quentin's reluctance to use the hand, given what it did to Evan, but I guess pain is a strong convincer.  Great performances all around.

I wonder if Judith and Trask have done "it" yet?  I would think she'd be smiling more if they had.

Love, Robin