Author Topic: 1245 Episodes  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: 1245 Episodes
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2003, 01:18:01 PM »
Connie Wrote:
How much do MPI tapes cost?  I would think the price would be coming down since people are switching to DVD, no?

Connie, I have the whole collection now from MPI which I started ordering a couple of years ago. At the time I paid $46.95 for the 4 pack tapes, which included S/H. (Columbia records & tapes were selling them at $20.00 a tape!)

Welcome Suki!

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Suki

• I love DS! Barnabas Rules!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2003, 06:40:04 PM »

I have the companion book that helps with the storyline and also Stuart Mannings website helps a lot as well! Im a old fashioned person,I have every episode on VHS.Except for the first 54 vols.. that I didnt have to record myself. I have to deal with commercials and when something messed up or SCI FI screwed up with there program scheduling.. I just called MPI and ordered a volume set so I wouldnt miss a single episode! Talk about batty!! But I "dig"these old shows!!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2003, 06:42:21 PM »
Welcome Suki too
i have a lot of the show taped but like Castle Bee
have them stashed somewhere as my family steals them and tapes over them !(they usually get a bad dinner that night as i do get revenge!) But do have all the Donnie episodes  marked( priorities you know)
as for the Dvds some day but baby(me) always seems to need new shoes!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2003, 06:56:12 PM »
600 plus hours of Dark Shadows, sometimes in multiple media forms?

I wouldn't mind owning every minute of John Karlen's performances  on the show.......but the entire series?  I don't think I could justify the expense OR  find the storage space!!

I'll assume my status as a Fan has just dropped to the floor. :-/

rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2003, 02:44:12 AM »
Congratulations on getting all the episodes! I'm halfway there. I started to get tapes of episodes I haven't seen from MPI, but when I found out the show was coming to DVD I decided to stop after 23 volumes, though occasionally I will buy one.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2003, 03:30:04 AM »
I was wondering about this.  How much room do all these tapes take up?  Since Q started, I've been taping on SP speed and only get 4 shows per tape.  I only keep the Q shows and these tapes are piling up RAPIDLY.  LOL   Where do people KEEP all these tapes??

I keep mine in those plastic storage containers you can get at Target and they're presently residing under my bed, but then half my belongings are in storage and some day if I ever get a job (two interviews this week though) I'll be buying a DVD player and junking the tapes in favor of DVDs.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2003, 04:39:17 AM »

I keep mine in those plastic storage containers you can get at Target and they're presently residing under my bed, but then half my belongings are in storage and some day if I ever get a job (two interviews this week though) I'll be buying a DVD player and junking the tapes in favor of DVDs.

I'm about half way through buying the MPI tapes...and now don't know what to do, lol.  The DVD's are clearly superior, but I don't want to just get rid of the tapes I've invested in  :-(     Such a dilemma...

MrsJ.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2003, 10:42:05 AM »
A few years ago, I started to buy the VHS tapes of Dark Shadows.  I never really got into buying them, but always wish I had them all.  Plus I was only 16 at the time.

Ever since tv shows have been getting released on dvd box sets its makes it so much easier for me.  My whole collection of tv shows is getting huge.  In the last month I have order about $500 worth the box sets.  Including Dark Shadows 4.  

I get excited every time I get a new box set.  And cant wait until the day I have all of dark shadows on dvd.

The way I think of them is like books.  They look good on shelfs.   Their are my pride and joy.  And one day I have a room just for them...I HOPE.

I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2003, 03:05:48 PM »
Between my brother, my daughter and myself...we have all the episodes on tapes.  Now I'm happy to announce, we have the entire collector's tapes.  We found some of the collector's tapes in the bargain bins at KMart.  I've begun collecting the DVD's.  I would hate to part with my tapes because I believe that some stuff has been edited out of the DVD's that was on the tapes.  

As a side note: On the collector's tapes, you can see some of the actors in the background when they show a little blackboard that says what the show # is on it and the taping date.  

One is really funny in particular and it's of Mitchell Ryan talking about how he has to walk across the room, throw his keys on a desk and get to the 'loo' to take a '.....'.  It's too bad that the DVD's can't give us more stuff like this.  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2003, 05:41:21 PM »
I know the DVD's are expensive but I'm buying them a few at a time since they started to come out last year and it really hasn't seemed too bad.  I just got a deal on the last set I ordered by using the $30 credit I received from Amazon for buying stuff in their new Apparel section at Christmas time.  I love when that happens!

Like Ringo, I get really annoyed with the silly things SciFi does (though some day it may seem nostalgic in its own way, who knows).  They seem to get more brash with it all the time too - I'm sure everyone noticed that they didn't even give Nancy Barrett time to finish her lines the other day before they shrunk the picture to the left and cut out the audio.  Gaak! Dorky stuff like that alone would sell me on the professionally recorded versions (I think we may be talking capitalism again.)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2003, 05:47:29 PM »
Can I ask....ballpark...how much $$$ did you pay and do you have ALL (the whole series, not just Barn)?

Patti

Hi Patti,

I believe I paid 4k for the series - give or take. I'd hate to think of how much I've actually paid since I am still paying it off! I started purchasing my collection with the Collector's Series.

Connie dear, for you I measured the space my tapes take up, at 6AM, before my second cup of coffee! If that isn't love, I don't know what is! :-* Two deep (library style) they take up just under eleven feet.

Good luck with the interviews, Luciaphil!
Dom

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2003, 06:27:50 PM »

Hi Patti,

I believe I paid 4k for the series - give or take. I'd hate to think of how much I've actually paid since I am still paying it off! I started purchasing my collection with the Collector's Series.

Dom

i agree dvd is the way too go just just the storage alone
and if i ever move(have moved my "albums" a million times now!) they are on my list of "must haves" but that list grows longer ever day! LOL

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2003, 06:31:54 PM »

Good luck with the interviews, Luciaphil!
Dom

Good Luck Lucia we're rooting for you![hello]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2003, 06:43:43 PM »
This may sound morbid but I'm making damn sure my hubby doesn't throw out all my DS stuff when my time comes. I've added a codicil to my will so that all my DS stuff(DVD's, videos, fan fiction collections like TWODS or Karlenzines)are donated to my local library for other DS fans to use.  With a reasonable donation, they should stay on the shelves for a few years--I hope.  If not, they could always get rid of it at their yearly Book Fair.
As long as it's not at the town dump, I'll be able to RIP.
Othewise, I may be haunting someone.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2003, 06:59:19 PM »
This may sound morbid but I'm making damn sure my hubby doesn't throw out all my DS stuff when my time comes. I've added a codicil to my will so that all my DS stuff(DVD's, videos, fan fiction collections like TWODS or Karlenzines)are donated to my local library for other DS fans to use.  With a reasonable donation, they should stay on the shelves for a few years--I hope.  If not, they could always get rid of it at their yearly Book Fair.
As long as it's not at the town dump, I'll be able to RIP.
Otherwise, I may be haunting someone.

I hear you, Carol. I don't have a formal will but I do have instructions on what is to be done with the hoards of stuff I've collected over the years. I know a lucky tofu Queen in Boston who is going to get all my DS stuff if I should go before she (which is likely, seeing how she leads such a saintly life :-*). What I am not giving away I want sold with the proceeds going to the charity of my choice. Of course there are a few things I am taking with me (regardless of how the saying goes...) ;)

Dom (Who hopes they like listening to the Supremes - where ever he ends up.)

PS - Have you fully recovered from your eye surgery? Hope all is well.