Author Topic: Robservations 1/27/03 - #782-783 - Trapped!  (Read 1234 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 1/27/03 - #782-783 - Trapped!
« on: January 26, 2003, 05:50:12 PM »
782 - (Jerry Lacy) - Collinwood before the turn of the century--And on this night, the longest and most agonizing night of his life, Barnabas Collins finds himself in the role of the fugitive.  The Collinwood he has known for so long is no longer open to him, nor is his beloved Old House.  The secret he has kept hidden for so long is now out in the open, and there are those who are prepared to kill him on sight.  In order to survive, he has enlisted the aid of a young woman and sent her on a dangerous mission to the cellar of the Old House.

Edward asks Charity, what are you doing down here?  Don't tell my father, begs Charity--he'll be very angry.  Edward demands an answer.  She lies, I was walking on the beach alone, found a tunnel and followed it, and that led me here.  He points out the ungodliness of the hour.  I wasn't able to sleep, she explains, so I went out for a walk.  Edward accuses her of lying, but Charity, growing upset, swears she's telling the truth.  I know of the tunnel, says Edward, but I also believe you didn't stumble on it our of curiosity--you had a reason for coming down there--what was it?  Nothing, says Charity, please believe me.  Come into the light, where I can see you better, bids Edward, assuring her, you needn't be afraid of the gun.  He quickly locates the marks on her neck.  "Good Lord, you are one of his victims!" exclaims Edward.  Let go of me, says Charity.  Barnabas is the reason you're here, says Edward--you're under his power!--why did he send you here?  He didn't! insists Charity, wrenching away from him.  He grabs her.  Passionately, he says, this man is a monster, using you for his own evil purposes, and you must reveal everything you know about him, not just for your own sake, but the sake of other innocent people.  She admits--Barnabas sent me.  Why? demands Edward.  I can't do that, she says, he'll kill me.  I promise he will never get near you again, he says.  I feel so ashamed, she moans, it's been so degrading for me.  Don't blame yourself, urges Edward, you couldn't help it.  I feel I should have been strong enough to resist him, says Charity--I've gone against everything my father ever taught me, and can never face him again!  She bursts into sobs.  Edward holds her, comforts her, assuring her everything will be all right.  No, I'll never be the same again, never live through the humiliation of it all, she cries.  Edward again says, I must know why he sent you here.  Charity, her eyes darting innocently, yet slyly back and forth, tells him I don't know.  Edward finds this odd.  "He makes me do things against my will," she says in a childlike voice--"And I don't even know why I'm doing them--it's all so terrible," she says, wrapping her arms around him, "Mr. Collins, you must help me. . .PLEASE!"  Edward agrees.  I'm taking you to your father, at once.  He helps her up the stairs.

It's 5:20.  Barnabas, waiting in Charity's room, is concerned about how close it is to his bedtime.  He hears a knock at the door and hides in an alcove behind curtains.  Amy comes in, looking for Charity.  She enters the room, looking around, puzzled, but doesn't see anyone.  She stays in the room, closing the door, and sits down to wait for Charity.

Trask is shocked--my own daughter, in league with the devil's agent!  (Has he forgotten she was discovered with fang marks a few weeks ago?)  Charity begs for forgiveness--I don't know what I was doing!  Is that all you can say? rants Trask, after all you've been taught?  Charity clasps her hands and says, "Oh, Father, if I had had the strength, I would have been able to resist, but I was weak, I fell across the path of temptation" (she's on her knees now) "and now I beg you to help me, you're the only one who can save me--don't shun me now, or I'll be lost forever."  Her begging turns into a whine.  Trask agrees, probably just to shut her up, putting his hand on her head.  "Yes, Charity," he says, "I will help you."  He helps her rise to her feet, and says, you must also help us.  I promise to do anything I can, she says.  Where is Barnabas? asks Trask.  I don't know, she replies--I saw him earlier this evening, in the woods, where he summoned me--I don't remember why.  Trask shoots an annoyed glance at Edward, then asks his daughter, how can you have forgotten something that happened just a few hours ago?  He has that power, to make one forget, says Charity, rubbing the purse containing the earth between her hands.  Trask asks, what did Barnabas send you to get in the Old House basement?--stop playing with the purse--I want an answer.  "It's no use," she says, "he's made me forget."
Edward points out, if Barnabas sent you to get something for him, he'll have to communicate with you before dawn, so the next move is up to Barnabas--all we must do is stay by Charity and be ready for his appearance.  Edward holds up his gun in triumph.  This plan horrifies Charity, who put on a damned good performance to protect her vampire.

Charity's room - Barnabas looks at Nora, who is just sitting there.  Charity, Edward and Trask enter the room.  Nora explains, I had a bad dream and came to tell Charity about it.  Charity sits next to Nora, looking absolutely exhausted.  Alarmed, Nora asks, what happened to you, you look sick.  Nothing, says Charity, I'm just tired.  Trask advises Edward to take the child back to her room.  Edward agrees and holds out his hand to Nora, who asks, will Charity be all right?  Edward assures her Charity is fine.  I don't want anything to happen to Charity, says Nora.  Nothing will, says Edward, leading her off to bed.  Trask asks Charity, are you frightened?  Not as long as you're here with me, she replies  Pray now, he suggests, pray for the deliverance of your soul.
Charity, still clutching the purse (which she finally puts down on the dresser) kneels and prays only a foot or two from Barnabas' hiding place.  Spotting him, she bends her head forward, covering her mouth.  He puts a warning hand up to his lips, urging her silence.  Charity rises, saying, I hope the Lord will take pity on me and forgive me.  It will take time, says Trask, but there is no greater power than that of prayer--if you had only remembered that, you could have resisted Barnabas Collins.  I know that now, says Charity--how soon it will be dawn?  A few more minutes, answers Trask--I'm staying with you--I can't leave you now--if that creature is to make his appearance, it will have to be soon.  What if he doesn't appear? asks Charity.  Barnabas listens, worried.  We have won the first phase of this struggle, says Trask--we have Satan on the run and will pursue him to his destruction.  Charity admires her father's strength of character and courage.  A cock crows; she reacts, as does Barnabas.  Time is running out, declares Trask.   Charity says I want to pray again--but I want the Book of Meditations that my mother was so fond of.  He agrees to bring it to her--after the sun comes up.  Charity says, I want it now.  He refuses to leave her alone now.  It wouldn't take more than a minute to get it for me, she insists.  She gives him a winning look.  Why are you so anxious to have it now? he asks.  I feel the need for it, she says; it will help me fight the evil forces that have beset me--you don't need to worry, you've made me see the light, and nothing can happen to me now.  He gazes at her sharply and says,   There is some reason you want me to leave the room--he's trying to communicate with you, isn't he?  No, says Charity.  Barnabas can't come to you, says Trask, so he's trying to urge you to come to him!  Behind the curtains, Barnabas looks perturbed.  Charity says, I'm not going to leave, I promise.  "You have not been able to free yourself!" shouts Trask--"You are still under his spell!  Get down on your knees and pray again for your deliverance.  I shall pray with you."  They both kneel.  There's a scream--Nora--and they both quickly rise.  Edward enters and says, I was sitting beside Nora on her bed--her window was open--a large bat appeared outside, terrifying the poor child.  Trask says, "A bat--the vampire is nearby--we only have a few moments to find him!"  He and Edward race off, leaving Charity alone in her room.  She grins gleefully when she sees Barnabas take her purse, reach in his hand, and sift the earth inside through his fingers.

Trask puts a cross in Charity's window--stay in your room, he orders.  Do you think Barnabas will try to come back? She asks.  I don't know, he says, there is no way of telling if he survived, but we've taken every possible precaution, including garlic flowers on the door--he is powerless to enter your room.  Charity asks, will you stay with me?  No, he says--it's nearly time for evening devotions, and I will pray for you to be forgiven.  She thanks him.  I suggest that you also hold a small cross in your hand as an extra precaution, says Trask, who goes to look for one in her purse, which he saw on her dresser this morning.  It's gone.  What did you do with it? he asks.  I must have put it away somewhere, she says--go do what you must do, I'll find it.  He leaves.  She closes her eyes in relief.  Another hurdle over!

Nora joins her father in the school's drawing room.  "Father, you told me there was nothing wrong with Charity," she says accusingly.  There isn't, he says.  Then why she hasn't left her room all Day? asks Charity.  I have no idea, says Edward, and I'm in no mood for questions--run along.  When can I see Charity? She asks.  I don't know, replies Edward, but I'll ask Trask when he comes back.  Don't forget, she says.  I promise I won't, says Edward--shouldn't you be in class?  They're over, she says.  Run along to your room, her father says, I'll talk to you later.  "Everyone is so upset," laments Nora.  "I wish someone would explain to me what's happening."  (Poor little rich girl.)  Trask enters just as Nora leaves.  Edward says the coffin hasn't been touched.  Then we know Barnabas didn't spend the day there, says Trask.  Yes, says Edward, and that's all we know--I have a feeling he's outsmarted us, I don't know how, but it's obvious his powers are more formidable than we thought.
Trask assures him Barnabas' days are numbered.  What concerns me most right now is the possibility that someone else might learn this dreadful secret, says Edward, ruining my family's reputation.  Trask agrees the Collins name must be protected.  Edward remarks, it will be dark in another hour--another opportunity to get him--we must make the most of it!

Dusk - We see the cross in Charity's window.  She's dozing by the fire. Barnabas calls to her--do as I tell you to do, he says.  Charity stirs in the chair.  I must see you, says Barnabas, I must come to you, but the way is barred--open your eyes, he commands.  She does.  Rise! He says.   She does.  Go to the window and remove the cross, and then I will appear to you, he promises.  Looking very pleased at this prospect, she takes down the cross and puts it away in her dresser drawer.  Barnabas appears.  She's very relieved--I thought about you all day, she says--there was so little time before the dawn, I was afraid...I didn't know if you have found safety or perished.  "I am safe now," he says smiling, "thanks to you."  "I have pleased you?" she asks.  "Very much," he responds.  It's too dangerous for you to come back here, says Charity.  Your father believed it would be impossible for me to come back here, says Barnabas, but he's underestimated my powers.  Charity looks puzzled--you must not stay long, she warns Barnabas--you must make other plans, find a permanent hiding place, and then take me there with you--I want to be with you, she says, "Oh, Barnabas, that is what I want."
He sinks his fangs into her proffered throat.  At that moment, Nora opens the door and walks in on them!

NOTES:  Well, I guess many parents know the embarrassment of having young children walk in on them during lovemaking, but this?  I don't know, I think permanent scars might be in the offing, although to Nora's young eyes, it just might look like Barnabas is kissing Charity's throat.

It saddens me to see Edward so against Barnabas, because it seemed they had formed a close friendship.  I'm sure Edward is annoyed with himself that he didn't see through this cousin of his, but it is a shame.

Always love it when Barnabas disappears right before Trask's eyes, but it's unfortunately the reason Trask knows Barnabas is a vampire for sure.  It was still a great scene.

Once again, Charity and Barnabas deliver steamy heat in their pre-biting scene.  I wonder why Barnabas didn't talk her out of wanting to be with him?  I guess he was more interested in getting some sustenance and indulging in vampire foreplay.

Edward behaves as if Carl's death barely affected him.  Very cold.

Once again, a man manhandles a woman, this time Trask vs. Magda.  I wish she'd put some nasty curse on him.  He's really an SOB, isn't he, and I'm glad Magda didn't buckle under.  Her decision to help Barnabas was mostly because she hates Trask more, but I'm glad she was on the vampire's side, because Trask is the worse of two blackguards.

783 - (Grayson Hall) - Collinwood, 1897--and Barnabas Collins is hunted down in terror, for all know he is a vampire.  But not all fear him.  On this night, one of his victims waits eagerly for him.  But his visit may cost her life itself.  To protect her from Barnabas, her room has been made safe for her--but those who are trying to save her did not count on her own needs.

Nora backs away from Barnabas.  You're bad! she cries, you've hurt Charity--they say they'll find you!  Charity caresses the marks on her throat and admits, I let him come here.  You weren't supposed to, says Nora--Barnabas did something terrible, I don't know what, but. . .  Barnabas calls Nora's name.  Charity begs him, don't hurt her.  Look at me, Nora Barnabas orders, but she refuses and instead runs into Charity's arms.  "Don't let him hurt me!" the child begs.  Charity promises he won't, then appeals to Barnabas, who again orders Nora, just look at me--nothing will happen to you.  Nora faces him, then reluctantly, fearfully goes to him, head down.  We were friends not so long ago, he reminds her, and I haven't changed.  Why are they hunting you? she asks.  Look into my eyes, he says again.  She turns away.  Keep looking at my eyes, instructs Barnabas and you will see that I want all to be well for you, that I won't hurt you.
She finally admits, I see that.  Keep looking, he says, because there's something else I want you to understand--I'm going away now, and after I'm gone, you won't remember I was ever in this room--do you understand?  She dips her head in a nod.  Barnabas orders her to close her eyes and listen--when you open your eyes, you won't remember I was ever here at all.  And he fades from sight.  "Don't leave me!" cries Charity, darting forward.  Nora, baffled, asks who were you talking to?--not me.  Charity looks like her lover abruptly fled, leaving her alone in bed, and suddenly falls forward in a near faint.  Nora is set to run for Trask, but Charity assures her, I'm all right.  Weakly, Charity demands, Nora tell me if you saw anyone else--did you, Nora?  Who else would I see in my room? asks Nora.  Charity, relieved, nearly faints, to Nora's concern.  Let me rest, says Charity, slipping back into bed--"Just let me. . .rest," the young woman tells the crying child, who hastily leaves Charity's room.  After Nora is gone, Charity calls to Barnabas, "Are you here?  Oh, Barnabas, I feel so afraid when you're gone, so terribly afraid.  Come back to me!  Please come back!  Please!"  And she seemingly passes out.

Downstairs at the school, Evan finds Nora sobbing heartbrokenly.  "She's going to die!" wails Nora.  Evan kneels.  Who? he asks.  "Charity!" cries Nora--please help her.  Evan asks if Charity was alone--I know what's happening at Collinwood--was Barnabas Collins with Charity?  No, replies Nora.

Magda carries the box containing Petofi's hand through the woods.  The wind blows, and the gypsy is nervous.  She walks into a cave, Barnabas' new home, and assures him, "No one followed me--I had to see you."  Why did you bring the hand? Barnabas asks.  Quentin came to the Old House, wanting to see the cure I have, says Magda--tomorrow there is a full moon--I told Quentin that we will have to wait until the moon starts to rise before we use it--I made him leave, but I know Quentin will come looking for this.  "The hand of the legendary Count Petofi," says Barnabas--Oh, Magda!"--I'm afraid of it, he confesses, afraid it will change Quentin in 1897 and Chris Jennings in the present--don't forget, there is a man in another century locked in the secret room in the mausoleum, a man who has changed into a werewolf and cannot change back--it seems like such a chance, we know nothing about what this hand can or cannot do.  It's evil and good, explains Magda.  Barnabas wonders--will it be good for Quentin?--how do we know that simply because you stole it, it won't turn against us?
If you're scared, there's a way we can show what it can do, says Magda--we can use it tonight--not on Quentin, but someone else.  Charity! says Barnabas.

Charity sleeps.  Evan knocks at her door, then enters her room.  Charity lies very still, the marks clearly visible on her throat.  Evan gazes at them and takes Charity's pulse.  She stirs.  He calls to her.  "Barnabas has been here," says Evan--you know where he is?  She smiles dreamily, but doesn't respond.  Do you realize what you're doing to yourself by not telling? asks Evan--you're going to die.  I will be with him, she says.  "You will be dead," he warns.  "No, with him!" she insists.  Barnabas is dead and you will be too, he informs her.  No! she wails.  Unless you help us, says Evan, you have no power to resist him--you can help by telling us where he is--do you want to die, to leave this world?  Charity shakes her head.

Cave - Can the hand cure Charity? Barnabas asks Magda--I don't want her to die--it won't be safe to take it to her, if they discovered it...  You can make her come here, says Magda, no matter how sick she is.  Barnabas leaves the cave and summons Charity--come to me--in the cave under Widows' Hill--don't be afraid, I will guide you through the forest--"Come to me!  Come to me!"  Evan realizes something is happening to Charity, whose mouth parts in a smile as Barnabas calls to her one last time.  "Rise from your bed now. . .NOW!  Come!"  Charity sits up and orders Evan to leave her.  He refuses.  You must, it is time, she insists.  Time to go to him again? Evan demands.  "Barnabas," she says in a lover's voice.  Evan grabs her--I won't let you go to him!  Barnabas continues to call to Charity--you cannot disappoint me--come!  She orders Evan to let go of her, but he refuses; they struggle.  Count Petofi's hand is out of the box, sitting on top of Barnabas' coffin.  Wind blows.  I know someone is stopping Charity, says Barnabas.  Perhaps the girl has died, suggests Magda.  No, says Barnabas, she'd be here if she had--someone is stopping her from coming, and I can't do a thing about it.  Magda suddenly realizes the hand is gone!

Charity is struggling to wrench free from Evan's detaining grasp.  I will never let you go! He says.  He needs me so, she moans.  No, he is using you, insists Evan.  I know that, says Charity, I've admitted it to myself--yes, she sobs, then stops struggling and goes to the window.  Evan looks outside--is he out there?  "He doesn't want me anymore," says Charity, near tears.  Evan supports her.  He stopped calling me, laments Charity.  Evan helps her into bed.  Someone must help you, he says.  No one can help me, says Charity.  Evan heads off to get the doctor, but Charity suddenly lets loose with one hell of s scream.
Evan stares, eyes huge.  Count Petofi's severed hand covers Charity's face as she screams uncontrollably.

Evan watches, transfixed and horrified, as the hand disappears  Charity's head falls to one side.  Evan searches the room, seeing nothing amiss, then realizes the marks are gone from Charity's throat.  Charity awakens, and primly tells "Mr. Hanley" you should not be in my room.  "Don't you remember?" he asks--the hand that appeared in your room, the legendary hand of Oshden--it was here, he sent that hand, Barnabas did, he sent it to defeat us, and you are well.  This puzzles her.  Look in the mirror, says Evan.  She stands, prudishly covering herself with a shawl, and looks at her neck.  I do remember the marks, she says.  You've been spared for the moment, says Evan, but he will strike again as soon as he feels secure enough--what else do you remember?  Charity holds her unmarked throat and looks helpless.

Cave - Magda is beside herself--the hand is gone, if I've lost it. . .she moans, crossing herself.   It's gone on a mission, Barnabas assures her--perhaps the hand responded to my wish, and when Charity couldn't come to me, it went to her.  I've heard of the hand having that power, says Magda, but even I didn't believe it.  If the hand is gone, she laments, I'm in big trouble, since I stole it, I'm in big trouble.  Now you can stop worrying says Barnabas, who has seen the hand reappear on top of his coffin.  it's a miracle, pronounces Magda, the hand is all they say.  Barnabas orders, take the hand back to the Old Houseand hide it from Quentin--he still doesn't trust it--I will go see Charity, return, and tell you what she knows.  Magda picks up the hand and tells it, "You will help Quentin, I know you will--I KNOW!"

Barnabas, in bat form, appears outside Charity's window, seconds later, the man himself stands beside her empty bed.  Where is she?  Why isn't she here, what has happened?  The cock crows.  If I only had time! he laments.

Schoolroom - Charity, back to herself, assures Nora, I'm all right now.  I was so worried, says Nora.  I promise to stay well and not fall into the valley of sin again, says Charity.  Nora asks, is getting sick a sin?  No, responds Charity, but it's a sin to give in to desires you know are wrong--I hope you never understand that, Nora--we should pray, since prayer is the only weapon we have against the devils that exist.  Both of them kneel to do just that.

Barnabas returns to the cave, and to his coffin.  He hears a sound.  "Magda?" he calls, then cries, "It is you!"
Evan holds up a cross; Barnabas turns away.  "Good evening, Mr. Collins, or should I say, good morning," taunts Evan.

NOTES:  How is our vampire going to get out of this pickle?  Will Angelique step in?  Charity?  After Barnabas did the right thing and released the dying Charity from his control, does it seem right that he will be destroyed now?

Pretty cool, the way Barnabas hypnotized Nora into forgetting him--why couldn't he did that with Carl?  
Charity truly fell in love with Barnabas and seemed willing to die to be with him--and be like him.  Even Josette, when push came to shove, didn't want a life (or death) like that!

Love, Robin

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 1/27/03 - #782-783 - Trapped!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 05:19:12 AM »
It saddens me to see Edward so against Barnabas, because it seemed they had formed a close friendship.  I'm sure Edward is annoyed with himself that he didn't see through this cousin of his, but it is a shame.

Even with the recent terrible things that Barnabas has done, I wonder why Edward and the rest of the family have overlooked the times he gave assistance.  Not long ago, Edward's children were in danger; Barnabas rescued them from Laura and her fire. When Quentin became a zombie, Barnabas tried to restore him to normal. Certainly after so many other troubling supernatural occurences it would be shocking to learn of a vampire in the famiy, and while I don't think Barnabas's role in Carl's death should be ignored, it has nevertheless seemed odd to me that the family would be so quick to condemn Barnabas after having accepted him for so long.

ProfStokes