Author Topic: SHADOWGRAM Festival on both coasts East and West  (Read 2451 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
SHADOWGRAM Festival on both coasts East and West
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:22:12 AM »
SHADOWGRAM

The Official "Dark Shadows" Published Newsletters
The Official Dark Shadows News Updates - posted via The ShadowGram Yahoo Group

Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Updates
An Official Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM

These News Updates are posted through the ShadowGram Yahoo Group. Joining the Group is free. For a Group invitation, contact Marcy Robin at the following e-mail address or join directly at: http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ShadowGram/

E-Mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

Number 253. December 22, 2011

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following breaking news in this Online News Update "bulletin."

--- DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL PLANS 2 EVENTS IN 2012
--- DAVID SELBY IN 2 VERY DIFFERENT ROLES
--- JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT NOMINATED FOR ACTING ROLE
--- NEW DS MERCHANDISE NOW AVAILABLE / COMING SOON
--- SPECIAL SHADOWGRAM MESSAGE FROM SG EDITOR MARCY ROBIN

**** ANNOUNCING: DS FESTIVAL - 2012 WEST AND EAST COAST EVENTS
---- SG Premiere Announcement:

The DS Fest will hold 2 DS gatherings in the coming year, one in Hollywood (Los Angeles) and the other in the New York City area. General planning has begun and SG will announce and update developments as we confirm the details.

SG reports: "Dark Shadows 2012: As DS leaves its 45th anniversary behind, a big new year brings the long-awaited emergence of Johnny Depp as 'Barnabas Collins' in the May 11 movie release of the Warner Brothers feature film based on the original series.

"To celebrate, the DS Festival & Official Fan Club will present a special DARK SHADOWS MOVIE PREMIERE PARTY on Thursday, May 10, at the Vista Theatre in Hollywood. The event will include a midnight screening of the new movie and other surprises, along with in-person appearances by original DS series actors. New DS memorabilia will be offered and autographs from the stars will be available.

"Additionally, another DS event is planned in the New York City vicinity in the summer of 2012. Dates, location, and other information will come later.

"ShadowGram will provide more updates on both the Hollywood and New York activities as more details are available.

"For early information, fans are encouraged to send a business-size self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) to the Fest postal-mail address below. (Please note: Postage increases to $.45 on Jan. 22. Using a "Forever" stanp or applying $.45 in postage to your SASE is appreciated.)

Send your SASE to:
Dark Shadows
P.O. Box 92
Maplewood, NJ 07040

For confirmed information about the film's progress toward release, media coverage, and more, please see recent SG print issues, available directly from Marcy at the SG addresses. Highlights in the current SG #121 include photos and details about cameo appearances by Lara Parker (with her personal comments to SG), Jonathan Frid, David Selby and Kathryn Leigh Scott. (Lara was Angelique, Jonathan was Barnabas, David was Quentin, and Kathryn was Maggie)

**** DAVID SELBY IN TV FILM & ON HISTORIC STAGE

--- David (Quentin) is "Luke Reilly," father of female detective Regan Reilly, in TNT's new holiday movie "Deck the Halls." Part of the TNT Mystery Movie Night series, it premiered 12-20 and repeats 12-23 (1 am ET) and 12-24 (12 noon ET). Check your local listings.

TNT press release: The "warm-hearted story" is adapted from the first in a "series of holiday mystery novels" by Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter Carol. David's character and a female driver are kidnapped "just before the holidays" and "the race is on to rescue the pair and get them home in time for Christmas."

--- David has a lifelong deep interest in Abraham Lincoln. He currently is in rehearsals for his portrayal of the President in the "newly-commissioned" play "Necessary Sacrifices" at the historic Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC, from Jan. 20-Feb. 12.

Press release: The play "explores the two documented encounters between Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln during a period of national crisis. As Lincoln searches for a way to end slavery in the summers of 1863 and 1864, Douglass's rhetoric and conviction challenge the president to envision a post-emancipation world. Together, the men imagine not only a unified nation but a society that brings truth to the Declaration of Independence assertion that 'all men are created equal'."

Ford's Theatre is the site of President Lincoln's assassination in April, 1865. This "world premiere (production) coincides with the opening of the Center for Education and Leadership, which will include new galleries exploring the immediate aftermath of Lincoln's assassination and the evolution of his legacy."

"Post-Performance Discussions: Jan. 24, Jan. 31, and Feb. 7. Following these 7:30 p.m. performances, members of the cast will take questions from the audience and discuss the artistic process. Post-performance discussions begin immediately after the performance. Individuals who did not attend the show but wish to attend the discussion will be invited into the theatre after the audience from the performance departs."

David was part of the 2009 celebration of Ford's re-opening after major restorations. He portrayed Lincoln in the world premiere drama "The Heavens Are Hung in Black.".He also participated in several important events marking the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth, including the prestigious Gala with dignitaries such as President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. ((See 2008-9 SG print issues and Online Updates.))

"Necessary Sacrifices" performances "are scheduled Jan. 20-Feb. 12 (Lincoln's 202nd birthday).

Ford's Theatre 511 Tenth St, NW, Washington, DC 20004. http://fordstheatre.org/splash
Box Office: (202) 347-4833

**** JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT NOMINATED FOR GOLDEN GLOBE AWARD

Joe (1991 DS David, Daniel) has been nominated for his starring role in 50/50, released this past summer ((See SG #121 print issue)). His "Adam" is a young man whose life abruptly changes when he is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. The movie received critical and public acclaim for its realistic views of such a situation, while lacing the reality with gentle humor and empathy.

The awards are chosen by members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association in a number of film and movie categories. The awards ceremony is Sun., Jan. 15, The Golden Globes often are considered strong indicators of potential Academy Award nominations/results.

**** NEW & PLANNED DS MERCHANDISE

--- New audiodramas are anticipated in 2012 from Big Finish Productions. One of the first is a story starring JERRY LACY and LARA PARKER, to be recorded early in the year.

--- DS 2012 CALENDAR AVAILABLE NOW
Fans can start the New Year with a striking new calendar depicting different DS characters for each month of the year. Fifteen high-quality photographs from the original series are featured.

Price is $14.00 (includes postage). Please send check/money order to: Dark Shadows Festival, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040.

(Note: For your convenience, fans wishing to order the calendar and also send a SASE for later information about the Fest's 2 DS events in 2012 may send their payment and SASE together in a single envelope. Please clearly indicate what each item is for.)

--- OFFICIAL BARNABAS CAPE, RING & WIG AVAILABLE NOW
The first-ever authorized Barnabas Collins cape and separate wig are available from http://www.elope.com/ The company also offers a replica of the Barnabas ring. These are all based on Jonathan Frid's portrayal from the original series. An official Barnabas wolf's head cane is in the works for 2012.

--- ORIGINAL DS SERIES - NEW COMIC BOOKS AVAILABLE NOW
SG is asked to announce the following: "Dynamite Comics has published the first in a regular series of all-new color comic books based on the original DS TV series. The book comes with two different front cover artwork options. It is available through comic book retailers or can be ordered directly from the Dynamite Comics website now at: http://www.dynamite.net/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C725130179708

"A Nook version will also be available online as publicized on the Dynamite website. Monthly issues and special single-edition `annual' comics are planned, so be sure and check back on the Dynamite website for updates in the coming weeks."

**** SPECIAL SHADOWGRAM MESSAGE FROM SG EDITOR MARCY ROBIN

I regret recent delays in sharing DS news, in my correspondence, and in producing the next SG print issues (The Official DS Newsletter). We enjoy DS as a "fannish" interest, but our participation is impacted by real life. Throughout 2011, I've had unexpected personal health challenges which resulted in surgeries in the past few months. I am recovering and doing much better. I truly hope to be free of any further health concerns in 2012 and beyond.

I appreciate the understanding, patience, and support from SG print issue subscribers and members of the SG Yahoo Group/SG Official DS Online News Updates.

**** MESSAGES FROM SHADOWGRAM

Please send SG any publicity, reviews, or articles that you find about the "Deck the Halls" and "Necessary Sacrifices," as well as media coverage of the Golden Globe Awards / Joe's nomination and any references to the new or existing DS merchandise. Please use SG's email/postal mail addresses below.

Fans always are welcome to please share with SG any and all DS-related references. Media attention can come at any time for the DS personnel and their projects and appearances, the new Depp/Burton movie, DS Festivals, merchandise, etc. These items can be online, in print, or on the air; be international, national, or local; general or detailed; accurate or incorrect in content; specific or generic references.

You can send photos as a jpeg at high resolution to SG's e-mail address below. You also can send hard-copy pictures to SG's postal-mail address below.

Please include your full name, the source, and date so I can list you as a Contributor in the published SGs. You also may receive a complementary Contributor's Copy for major donations of information, funds, postage stamps, supplies, photos, publicity, assistance, etc. Thank you in advance for sharing.

All such items are important to the ShadowGram Newsletters, the actual complete published Official DS Newsletter & News Source. Subscribers of all ages are across the US and worldwide. I send complementary issues directly to many of the DS cast and crew. They share their news with me for SG, and who enjoy learning about their DS colleagues in SG's pages.

--- To subscribe / renew to the complete ShadowGram Official Dark Shadows Newsletters:

--- US & Canadian First Class subscriptions: $12.00 for 4 issues, $24.00 for 8 issues.
---Overseas Air Mail subscriptions: US $20.00 for 4 issues, US $40.00 for 8 issues.

Please send your print issue subscription / renewal payment (check/money order) payable to:

Marcy Robin
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766

Subscription/renewal payments can be made via Paypal to: mailto:ShadowGram%40aol.com
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOWGRAM Festival on both coasts East and West
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
You can watch online on TNT under full episodes. ...

Check under full episodes, you need to be able to be verified as having TNT on cable.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »
That's sad to hear about Marcy's health problems and surgery.  I hope she enjoys a restful return to full health in the new year. 

Interesting about the concept of a "summer event" in NYC.  I wonder whether the Festival is once again looking at phasing out the big hotel based conventions?

G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 06:09:55 AM »
Yikes.  I hope Marcy is ok. 

Glad to hear there will be an event in NYC.  Barring any unforeseen conflicts, I hope to make it this time.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »
I would love to go to both. Will the west coast one in "Hollywood" (Renaissance Hotel near the Kodak Theatre where the 2005 Festival was?) be a full scare 3 day Festival  and the one in the "New York area" be a shorter smaller event like 2007 in Tarrytown?
Dan

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »
DLA75, I believe the west coast 2012 event refers to the one-night movie premiere at the Vista Theatre in Hollywood.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »
Interesting about the concept of a "summer event" in NYC.  I wonder whether the Festival is once again looking at phasing out the big hotel based conventions?

I doubt it, considering the previous attempt to phase them out didn't work.  As I recall, the 3-day "DS Fest" was replaced with a two-day "DS Weekend" (with essentially the same kind of programming) for one year, and then brought back the following year.  If anything, I think the Fests could get bigger.

The new movie has the potential to create its own fan base, introduce new fans to the original series (and the 1991 remake), and re-energize fans of the original series who haven't seen it in years.  I imagine it will be quite a challenge to put together an event that will accommodate both the longtime fans and the new ones, and that Pierson, et. al., are exploring the various ways in which to do that.

On an unrelated note, I'm including this icon because another poster once wrote that its mouth looks like Joan Bennett's, which makes it the best icon ever:   [santa_kiss]

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:18:36 AM »
A few months back I received an email about a reunion with the 1991 cast this year but have not heard anything since nor have I heard any post on here or Facebook.  I would not mind seeing both 1991 and the original cast together at the same event.  I hope they announce the dates for the NYC area event soon.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 05:04:49 AM »
I somehow see Depp Shadows as spawning its own fandom with their own thing.  I don't know whether they will do conventions or whether it will all just be online.  The press about that Comicon a few months ago and how the big studios are perceived as withdrawing from it because the current buzz is that people would rather just do everything online as opposed to traveling to an in-person, fleshspace event, if founded upon legitimate perceptions of younger fan behavior, could again mean only marginal overlap between the Depp Shadows fans and the classic series fans.

But maybe I haven't a clue what I'm nattering on about ... time will tell.  I've already been surprised at all the twittering around episodes of the classic series that I gather people are streaming via Netflix...

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
I hope the dates are finalized soon. At my workplace, people have already scheduled their vacations for the entire year. I have been planning on attending the festival this summer as I am once again able to afford to do so  [snow_smiley] but may not be able after all if someone else has already claimed those dates for their vacation (and people have already scheduled August vacations).

If there are two festivals on different weekends, though, I may have a better chance of attending one of them. My choice would be for California though because I love California.

I'm sure attendance will increase because of the movie - new fans via the movie (rabid fans, anyway) may be curious about the festivals if they find out about them.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 08:26:02 PM »
Hi Philippe, that's cool that you now have the means to attend a DS event.  It sounds as if the Hollywood thing so far is just going to be a movie premiere party in May.  I wonder whether details on that have not yet been announced in part because there is still a chance that the premiere of the film could be postponed until the autumn.  Or whether it's just the usual subterranean planning horizon for these things...

I hope you are able to attend!

Best, Steve

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:20:40 AM »
Philippe I hope to see you this summer.  I will be at the NY event, whatever/whenever that may be,

Teresa [snow_bigglass]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »
Can TPTB simply let us know if there is going to be a Fest this year? Why do they make it difficult for all of us? At this point I would take a yes or a no answer.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
Thanks for the clarification regarding the two festival events. I had skimmed through the newsletter so quickly I had missed that the West Coast event will be for the movie premiere in May, not an all-out festival.

So, it looks like the East Coast is it ... Like Jimbo, I hope dates and plans are finalized soon.  [snow_rolleyes] Festivals must be a huge thing to plan. And I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that I can take vacation at that time. Wish the festial could be held in Newport, Rhode Island ...

Well, I hope things will work out for many of us. It would be good to meet up with Gothick, Teresa, jimbo, and many others ... and have the chance to be immersed in "Dark Shadows" again, if only for a few days.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »
My boss keeps asking me to put my vacation time in.  I'm beginning to worry I may miss it this year.