Author Topic: Robservations 1/23/03 - #778-779 - One Hand Clapping  (Read 1379 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 1/23/03 - #778-779 - One Hand Clapping
« on: January 23, 2003, 12:02:39 AM »
778 - (Grayson Hall) - Collinwood at the turn of the century is a maze of secrets, jealously guarded.  For most who dare to pursue them, there is only frustration.  But for Carl Collins tonight, the maze will reveal an unexpected and dangerous turn.

Barnabas is saddened to hear about Rachel's untimely death.  Judith explains, Trask (Tim, I'm sure she mans) took Rachel to your house, but you weren't there.  No, I wasn't, agrees Barnabas sorrowfully.  She died almost immediately, says Judith--she had no chance.  She should never have come to Collinwood, laments Barn--she should have gone anyplace else.  I know you were very fond of Rachel, sympathizes Judith--we all were.  Why do we destroy the people we love? asks Barnabas.
I don't see why you say that, says Judith--the girl died in a tragic accident.  It was no accident, says Barnabas solemnly, but they are interrupted by Carl, who runs in to announce, "Pansy is dead!"  Judith asks how it happened; Barn looks very uncomfortable.  I don't know, says Carl, but you can bet I'll find out--in the graveyard, I heard a voice, I didn't exactly find her, she was singing--she is dead, says Carl, I'm sure of it.  Judith, annoyed, insists, I don't want to hear anymore about Pansy, dead or alive.  Carl's lower lip quivers, and he walks away from his unsympathetic big sister.  Judith offers Barnabas a drink; he refuses and says I must go.  She walks him to the door.  Carl starts in--Pansy met with foul play, and I have a pretty good idea who did it (he eyes Barnabas suspiciously).  Judith retorts, we've had enough tragedy here today, and no one is in the mood to listen to you.  I'm sorry for having to be the one to tell you the sad news, she tells Barnabas--and I'm sorry you weren't here for the beautiful service--I hope knowing how lovely it was is a comfort to you.  He thanks her and goes.  Carl asks if she noticed that Barnabas couldn't get away fast enough.  Barnabas was fond of Rachel, says Judith, and he didn't want to listen to your prattling.   My fiancee is dead, and you call it prattling? asks Carl.  She isn't dead, insists Judith.  She is, says Carl--when I heard that voice in the graveyard, it chilled my bones--it was no human voice, but Pansy calling from beyond the grave.  Hallucinations! says Judith.  How can you be so callous? asks Carl--the girl is dead.  Gently, Judith says, Carl, dear, she isn't dead, she's gone away--can't you understand it?--she came to Collinwood, looked over the situation, realized she wouldn't make a cent out of it and left town ASAP.  No, says Carl, not my Pansy--oh, no, she's met with foul play, and Barnabas is my prime suspect.  Judith orders him, leave Barnabas out of this farce.  Whose house was she last seen in? demands Carl--we both know! Judith warns him if he keeps up like this, she may have to send him away for a long "rest."  I just had one, in Atlantic City, Carl reminds her, looking ready to cry--I think that Pansy would still be alive if I hadn't taken her away from there--I'm going to find her if I have to turn the Old House inside out and upside down!
Judith crisply tells him, I've had my say--if you don't listen, you'll be sorry--I'm not fooling and not playing games--tread carefully!

Somber, Barnabas returns to the Old House.  He sits on the Dreadful Purple Furniture and barely acknowledges Magda.  He tells her of Rachel's death.  "She had death in her hand," says Magda.  "From the moment she met me, she did," he says.  Magda asks how it happened.  She was shot, says Barnabas, an accident, they don't know who did it.  Magda offers to read the cards, but Barnabas knows who killed her--I'm as responsible for her death as if I'd shot her myself; she'd be alive now if not for me.  No, insists Magda, there was death in Rachel's hand, I saw it a long time ago.  If I hadn't failed her, laments Barnabas, the same way I have with every woman I ever loved--by being what I am--is your news good or bad?  Magda smiles--very good!--I didn't locate the daughter of the old gypsy, but that doesn't matter--I went to Boston and asked King Johnny Romana if he knew where she was--he said she was dead, like her mother--the one who cursed Count Petofi.  I was afraid of that says Barnabas--did you mention Quentin's name?I didn't, she assures him--I said there was a certain party who needed help, and two gypsy children--he knew a way, she says, a sure way of ending the curse--"You will see, Barnabas," she says--the end of Quentin's curse rests right here, in this box.  She shows him an ornate wooden box and explains, "It's not an ordinary box--every one of these carvings has a meaning, ancient as the gypsies, it is a very precious box."  Barnabas asks to be spared this gypsy nonsense.  It isn't nonsense, she assures him--he wouldn't have given it to anyone, and he only gave the valuable box to me because of the two gypsy children.  (Notice they're all gypsy to their Aunt Magda.)--and because King Johnny always liked me--and Jenny--a lot, brags Magda sentimentally.  Impatiently, Barnabas asks, show me what's in the box.  She opens it.  Barnabas looks disgusted as he beholds the grisly sight of a severed hand, the ring finger bearing a ruby ring, inside.

How can this hand end Quentin's curse? asks Barnabas.  When the moon is full, says Magda, just before the curse seizes Quentin and turns him into an animal, we will lay this hand on Quentin's heart--it will draw the curse from him--and Quentin will be cured forever.  As simple as That? asks Barn.  The simplest magic is often the strongest, she says.  She puts a candle on the table and removes the hand from the box.  Holding it, she says, "The blood of the slaughtered nine has been washed away. . .and you who are against us are now with us.  Released by the guardians of the chains and blessed by the custodians of the 12 days, grant us the use of your powers, the powers of life and death, of night and darkness. . .the time comes, you will know what must be destroyed, and you will destroy it!"  Magda stands.  There, she says, it is done--His Excellency's hand will obey our command.  "His Excellency?" asks Barn.  In the Old Country, says Magda, he was a very important person.  Who was he? asks Barn.  It doesn't make a difference, says Magda.  I doubt this grotesque thing can help us at all, says Barnabas.  It can, she assures him, King Johnny Romano swears it.  And you believe him? asks Barnabas.  Would one gypsy lie to another? counters Magda.  Two gypsies might lie to someone else, says Barnabas--were you afraid to return with no good news?  I knew you'd be disappointed when you learned of the death of the gypsy girl, admits Magda.  So, you discussed it with your gypsy king, says Barnabas, and no doubt the two of you got together and came up with an idea--why not bring back a strange, powerful hand to solve all our problems? he says sarcastically.  Magda promises is will solve the problems.  Barnabas swears, if you're lying, you'll regret it.  Magda suddenly cries out--I saw the hand move!  I didn't see what you saw, says Barn--I have work to do.  Don't be angry she coaxes, you'll see, the hand will work when the moon is full.  I believe you'd lie to save your neck, he says, but I don't believe any of it.
It's true, she says--I have lied to you, but what you don't know is that I risked my own neck--Johnny Romano wouldn't give me the hand, not even for the two gypsy children, so I stole it, and we must get it back very soon--when he learns it's missing, he will send someone, and whoever he sends to get it back will do whatever it takes, including killing, if necessary.  Barnabas gazes at the hand, unhappy to learn this piece of bad news.

Carl, asleep, dreams.  We see a pretty multi-colored lamp beside his bed, a ball atop the legs of a jester balancing it.  Pansy hums her song.  He calls to her, over and over.  She's in her dressing room, getting ready for her show, dressed in spangles, all made up.  Carl comes to her and she tells him he's just in time for her farewell performance--I'm going away!  Why? he asks.  The way things worked out, she says, it's time to retire.  You can't go, he objects.  It's the way things worked out, she repeats--and it ain't been all roses for Pansy, ya know--psychic powers take it out on a girl.  He kneels and tells her, if you stay with me, I'll but you a big house, beautiful clothes, and we'll go around the world together!  Sorry, luv, she says, it's time for Pansy's farewell, and you can't stop me, the show must go on--and what a revealing show it's going to be! she grins--come and see for yourself, luv, she invites.  We hear applause, see PANSY FAYE in glitter.  She stands onstage and says, "There is one answer we seek tonight, and it must be found.  She asks for a volunteer, and points to Barnabas, who shakes his head, no.  She asks Judith to come up, not to be afraid, give her a hand! she calls.  She instructs Judith to concentrate on the answer, which will come slowly, but it will come.  Judith says she can't concentrate on the answer without knowing the question.  You know the question, says Pansy harshly, everyone at Collinwood does!  Judith doesn't!  Carl comes up and squeals, "I do!"  Pansy invites him up.  "The question is this!" says Carl.  "Who is the vampire?!"
No, says Judith.  What do you mean, no, demands Pansy.  Judith insists, you know what I mean.  "I certainly do," says Pansy--"your mind's a pane of glass to me--you think the vampire dead!"  He is, says Judith.  No, says Pansy, the vampire is not dead, he lives, he walks among you.  Judith runs off, screaming.  Barnabas watches her flee.  Pansy asks for another volunteer, and points to Barnabas.  No, he says again, "but how about this boy--he's the brightest of the lot."  Carl, ecstatic, races up onstage.  Pansy kisses his mouth, for luck, then says, "The question."  "Who is the vampire!" says Carl.  Pansy raises her hands and says, "Hidden by day, stalking by night, killing those who cross his path, Pansy will tear away his mask, Pansy will find his hiding place, and put a picture of it in your mind--concentrate. . .concentrate...is there an image for me?"  Carl says he can't tell yet.  Don't fight it, she urges, see it with your mind, your inner eye, your psychic soul. . .see it!"  A vision of the Collins mausoleum comes to Carl, who yells out, "I see it!"--I don't understand--what does the picture of the mausoleum mean?--who will I find there, you must tell me more!  "There is no more tonight--or any other night," she says (and it's spooky, too, the way she grins).  "My music, please!"  Applause. She sings her song, off-key, not matching the music.  Carl comes out of his dream with a start.  "The mausoleum!" he says.  "I must find out what it means!"

Old House - Barnabas' wolf's head cane hangs on the coat rack.  He takes it.  Magda asks, will you be safe at the mausoleum?  Yes, he says, Dirk was destroyed--there's no reason to suspect there's a vampire at Collinwood.  You're lucky they found Dirk so quickly, remarks Magda.  I knew they would, says Barnabas--Dirk's not very clever, but he served his purpose--I'll sleep here tomorrow.  Magda again asks, are you sure you'll be all right?  Perfectly, he says.  I don't know, says Magda--I have a feeling.  The hunt is over, says Barnabas--"I am safe."  He leaves.  Magda uneasily shakes her head.

Mausoleum - Carl walks up to the gate and peers in, remembering this is where Pansy said he'd find the vampire.  He opens the gate. . .

NOTES:  Barnabas is far too self-confident.  Why is he sleeping at the mausoleum, anyway, why not stay in the basement--or is it because he moved his coffin to the tomb when Jamison claimed to have seen it?  How awful to have Trask perform Rachel's service, and what a meager turnout.  You'd have thought some of her students would have wanted to be there, or Charity, but I guess she's grieving for her mother.  Even Tim would have had more sincere things to say about Rachel.  Somehow, you expected Trask to expound on how much he'd have loved to see her naked.   An eye for an eye, and what a deal Trask made--Judith and Tim, both murderers, somehow cancel each other out!  Amazing, and yet one has the idea such deals are made all the time in the real world.  Judith and Tim were both acting under spells, but both know they committed murder, and that's got to push the guilt meter up to the max.  Well, for those of you who don't like Rachel, you won't have her to kick around anymore.

Loved Carl's dream, very surreal.  I got chills when Pansy declared this her final performance.  Judith's dress was lovely, and Pansy was appropriately showgirl and sleazy.

We have met Count Petofi's hideous hand.  Magda stole it, which wasn't a wise move, but she's desperate, both for her niece and nephew and to keep Barnabas from killing her.

Will Carl figure out where Barnabas is hiding?  What will happen when/if he does?  Is the vampire hunt really over?  Hasn't anyone figured out that someone had to sire Dirk?  Where--and who--is that someone?  Only Carl is suspicious.

779 - (Lara Parker) - Night over Collinwood in the year 1897, a night filled with strange dreams and somber threats for Carl Collins.  A night in which his fiancee has appeared from the dead to tell him that the vampire is still alive--and in an old house on the estate, Barnabas Collins, not knowing of Carl's discovery, makes his plans.

As Barnabas heads toward the tomb, he spots Rachel's grave (born 1876, died 1897), and kneels.  That I should come to this century and find you so like Josette, and lose you, he laments, and that I should be the one responsible--will we meet again?--will I ever get a chance to right this wrong?  Behind him, Angelique remarks, "Very touching."  He asks, what are you doing here?  I watch over you, she says.  He starts to tell her there's no need to do that, but she interrupts, "Isn't there?"  He apologizes (a rarity), and says, you surprised me--I must go, it's almost dawn.  Stick around, she advises.  I must go, he says, adding bitterly, you're responsible for this necessity--you and your curse.  She begs him to listen--you have very little time left here--I warned you you might be trapped in the past, and now it's almost too late--come back to your own time with me, begs Angelique--I wouldn't ask it if it weren't necessary.  I can't, insists Barnabas--I haven't done what I came to do.  FORGET ABOUT THAT! she urges.  I can't, he says, I'm too close, it's within my reach, to save David and Chris.  Let them save themselves! she cries.  I can't, repeats Barnabas--David will die if I don't, and Chris will keep on as an animal--I must help them.  This is your last chance, she says--trust me, just this once, trust me and forget about the past--we both will.  "Is it so terrible, what I have faced?" he asks.  You'd rather face anything alone than commit to me, she says--that's it, isn't it?--all right, do it, do it!--why do I always think you will change?" she angrily asks
--"Remember that I have helped you in the past?  Oh, go on, Barnabas, go on," she says softly.  I must, he agrees, and leaves.  She brushes her cape over Rachel's flimsy tombstone, gazing at the front of it for a moment, then at Barnabas, who turns and looks back at her before disappearing into the mausoleum.  Unknown to him, Carl is watching his every movement--he sees Barnabas pull the ring to open the secret panel and slip inside.  Barnabas looks up a moment.  Carl hugs the building, his back to it.  He watches through the bars of the gate as Barnabas climbs into his coffin.  "Barnabas is the vampire!" cries Carl, and runs away in horror.  (Where is Angelique now, I wonder--she decided to let Barnabas stew in his own homemade juices?)

Collinwood - Quentin, drinking, listens to his music in the drawing room.  Magda enters.  Ah, the gypsy back from her mission of mercy, he says--come in and shut the doors.  She does so.  You must speak softly, he warns, these walls have ears, and what you have to say must be heard by no one else.  He turns off the music.  What do you have for me? he asks.  Magda doesn't reply.  Cruel to the end, accuses Quentin--so, you visited with your tribe and compared notes on picking pockets and exchanged secrets of all your curses and laughed--how they must have laughed when they heard you had turned a Collins into a werewolf!  No, says Magda, I told no one but Johnny Romana.  A king?--I'm impressed, says Quentin bitterly--so did he sign a royal decree ending all curses?  Magda knows Quentin is drunk and wants to return when he's slept it off.  He grabs her arm.  Through clenched teeth, he demands, "Is it good news?"  She winces, but finally nods.  He lets her go.  Is it a potion I can take?--give it to me now, he orders.  She shakes her head.  Why not, I've got to! cries Quentin--do you have any idea what it's like for me, counting the days until the full moon?  You must wait until then, says Magda.  Is this a game or joke? He asks, grabbing her again when she denies it.  When the moon starts to rise, she says, painfully, because he's clutching her arms, there's a ceremony I can perform, but it can be done at no other time--let go of me, begs Magda.  Why are you willing to help me? he asks.  She looks guilty, then asks, isn't it enough I'm willing to help?--I have a precious relic, the miraculous hand, and I will put it on your heart and it will draw the curse from you--I've risked much to bring this back, broken many of our laws.  He asks, are you sure it will work?  I would not have stolen it if I weren't.  He laughs, hearing of this thievery.  I'd take the change from your pocket right now if I could, she says, angry, tight-lipped.  Admit the real reason you're suddenly on my side! Demands Quentin  She shakes her head.
I didn't know, she moans--I did not know!  WHAT? he asks.  I remember how much Jenny loved you, she says softly.  Carl enters, in a frenzy, commanding that Quentin get rid of Magda--I won't speak in front of her.  She chucks Carl under the chin and asks, don't you like me anymore?  Carl turns away and says, just go, please.  It's always a pleasure to leave this house, says Magda--Quentin, Barnabas wants to see you this evening, at dusk.  Carl reacts--dusk, yes!  He asks Quentin, where are Judith and Edward?  Both are dreaming of Judith's money (funny), says Q.  We must wake them, says Carl, we must do something.  Do what? asks Quentin--there are so many things waiting, such a choice.  Not about this, says Carl--sometimes I wishes I hadn't had the dream--the one where Pansy told me the vampire isn't dead.  Dream again, says Q--Edward described the staking of Dirk in great, graphic detail.  No, says Carl, not Dirk, there's another, Pansy said so in my dream--she said who made Dirk a vampire.  Laura, guesses Quentin.  No, says Carl--I can prove it--I saw the vampire go to his coffin--I know you won't believe this.  Quentin suggests, you've gone mad.  No, says Carl--Pansy told me to go to the mausoleum--there's a coffin there, I swear it--you must believe me--I know who the vampire is!  Tell me, demands Quentin.  "Barnabas," says Carl.  Quentin tips his head back and laughs; his laughter fades as realization strikes him--Our cousin we never see during the day, who always appears at dusk, says Q.  Carl describes--Barnabas went into the mausoleum, and I saw the door close--but I did note how to open it--but there's so much I don't know.  A vampire stays in his coffin all day, says Quentin, lying there as if dead--at the mercy of whoever finds him.  Hysterically, Carl says, "He made Dirk a vampire, and all of us are next!"  Quentin rises from his chair and says, we're going to the tomb--I don't know what we'll do when we get there.  We must kill him, says Carl, and goes to get a gun.  Quentin stares at Barnabas' portrait.  Barnabas is my only hope, realizes Quentin--without him, what will I do?  Barnabas. . .

Mausoleum - Carl approaches the gate, Quentin trailing behind him.  Carl asks, are you sure Barnabas is asleep?--I'm afraid to go in there, he admits.  I'm not sure what I'm feeling, says Quentin.  He opens the gate; they go in.  I wonder why Barnabas came to us? says Carl.  Perhaps he didn't, says Quentin, maybe he's been here all the time, waiting for someone to let him out.  This makes Carl really nervous.  Then he's the real Barnabas, our ancestor? asks Carl.  Quentin nods.  That makes it worse, says Carl.  Open the door, orders Quentin.  Carl does so, holding the gun in one hand.  Quentin enters first, spots the coffin, and puts his hands on it.  Open it, says Carl, nervous, excited.  Hand over the gun, says Quentin--unless YOU want to do it...  Carl quickly gives his brother the gun.  Quentin opens the coffin.  Barnabas is sleeping.  Quentin and Carl stares down at him.  Do it! begs Carl.  Instead, Quentin closes the coffin.  What are you doing, you have no choice! shouts Carl.  Yes, I do, says Q, holding the gun on his brother.  I'm the one who always plays the jokes, objects Carl, gazing at the gun in his brother's hand.  "I'll kill you, Carl," warns Quentin, "if you run."  For God's sake, asks Carl, what are you doing?  What I must, says Quentin, moving to exit the secret room--do you know how to get out, Carl?  NO! cries Carl.  Then you'll have to stay here, says Quentin, until dusk, at least.
Horrified, crying, Carl begs his brother not to do this, his mouth a bowed down clown's face.  Yes, says Quentin, I'm closing it, and remember, I can do it with one hand while the gun is in the other.  "Oh, no Quentin, for God's sake, Quentin!"  Quentin shuts the door, listening to his brother pleading with him not to do this, and closes his eyes in guilt and misery.

Magda asks Quentin, "What's the matter with you--what do you want?"  I want to find out why you are so willing to help me, he says.  He checks Magda's throat and notes she is unmarked by Barnabas' fangs.  You have a lot of secrets, he says, not the least of which is how you managed to exist in this house with a vampire.  Magda is stunned.  Yes, Q says, I know--everything--I've seen Barnabas in his coffin.  Are you going to tell? asks Magda?  Carl will, if Barnabas lets him live when dusk comes, says Quentin--yes, he admits, Carl is there, in the tomb.  I know Barnabas will kill Carl, says Magda, and I lament yet another murder, when so many are suspicious now--we must stop it, wails Magda, or we will all be found out!--it is in the cards, she tells him.

Carl leans against the door, frantically begging to be let out.  He falls to the floor, huddling against the door, looking with terror at Barnabas' coffin.

Angelique is bemused and tickled that Magda has come to ask for her help--after all your own tricks, teases Ang--was it the cards or crystal ball that sent you to me?--I always wonder how amateurs handle these things.  It was the cards, says Magda--"You love Barnabas--I've seen you watching him, he needs your help now."  He always needs me, says Angelique, sounding tired of it.  Carl Collins is in the mausoleum with him, reveals Magda--in an hour, he will awaken and kill Carl Collins--I want you to force Carl to lose his memory--you have the power, you must do it.  Angelique coldly refuses--let Barnabas learn, she says--find out how important I am to him. If they learn about Barnabas, warns Magda, they will know about you, too--"His fiancee," taunts Magda--"no, they will know you are more than that, and for your sake..."   I will take care of myself, decrees Angelique, and Barnabas will do the same for himself, this time
--let him try to live without me--I don't care anymore.  It must not end this way, insists Magda.

Carl checks his pocket watch.  It must be getting dark, he realizes, I have to get out!  He bangs on the coffin with both fists, then seems terrified.  Be logical, he encourages himself, somehow there's a way to open that door--"THERE'S GOT TO BE!" he screams--I must get Edward or the police. . .did the top move, or was it my imagination?. . .figure it out, now, it's just like those Chinese puzzles I have!  Carl searches and locates the stone step that moves, inside, the lever.  When the door opens, he's laughing and crying with glee.  He exits the mausoleum, his face crazed, and grabs onto a swaying cross.  "We'll get him tonight!" he yells, laughing.  "We'll get Cousin Barnabas tonight!"  And he runs off. . .

Note:  Quite a turn-around for Angelique, huh, deciding to let Barnabas stew in his own juices?  Wonder why she chose to do this now?  She was so determined to save him from Laura, yet now, she wants to back off.  Superb performance from John Karlen, who seems nearly as insane as Dirk.  Now that the man has escaped, is Barnabas going to be safe?  Magda was right.  If Barnabas had only stayed in the basement or behind the bookcase!   As for Magda, she is watching a tragedy unfold, and you can tell that, in her own way, she does care about Barnabas.  Or is she just trying to save her own skin?

Love, Robin