Author Topic: 1967 photo--Barnabas and Liz  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
1967 photo--Barnabas and Liz
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
Dear Fans, while looking through some old magazines, I found my 1998 DS Festival program and noticed a very rare (and so far as I know, never used) publicity photo from 1967 (or perhaps '68?)--it seems to have been done on the same day as a well known series of Jon and Grayson mugging around Barn's coffin.  In this one, Barn is flattening himself dramatically against the cellar wall, the coffin is center of photo and in front of it is Liz (wearing an outfit I don't recall her ever wearing on the series, but that doesn't mean that it may not have appeared and I simply don't remember).  Liz is clasping hands to face and about to let loose with one of her famous strangled screams.

If I can get a scan done of the photo, I will try to share it here.

Best,  G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 photo--Barnabas and Liz
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Hmmm - I don't recall if I have the '98 Fest program. I didn't attend Las Vegas, but once they went on sale I normally bought the programs from the Fests I didn't attend. I'll have to check...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »
Was that Las Vegas?  I did not attend but one of my friends who did might have sent me the program. 

The same program has a really cute photo of Thayer David taken off-set on the hoDS shoot modeling his fangs.  Another one I haven't seen anywhere else.  I'm glad I always check through these things before consigning them to recycling.

cheers, Gothick

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
consigning them to recycling.

[yikes]  I didn't just read that you recycle Fest programs! Yes, it's good that you recycle. But nothing related to DS should ever be thrown away! Never ever! Think of the poor DS fans in third world countries who might kill (or at least bid on eBay) to possess such a gem as an actual Fest program. [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering if the '98 Fest program might have found its way into that recycling bin, fear not - through the generosity of Gothick it is now safely in my possession. Thanks again, Gothick.  [santa_smiley]

And so that others who don't have a copy of it might know what Gothick was talking about, I've attached a scan of the page featuring the photo of Barn and Liz. It's most definitely one that I hadn't ever seen before.

And also speaking of photos I haven't seen before, I've also attached a scan from the program of an hoDS photo of Thayer David with his fangs.

Enjoy!  [santa_wink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
You're a star, MB! Thanks! Those are both a hoot!

Maybe JB is wearing one of her own dresses--I don't remember seeing it in the show or in HoDS. It looks very much like a typical summer dress from that time, although I was heavily into my hippie look by then. ;)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:01:53 AM »
Love the picture! The shot of Joan is priceless! [ChristmaS15]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 05:31:59 AM »
thanks so much that's wonderful...

it definitely looks like it's from the same photo session as the well known series with jonathan and grayson. since grayson has her cropped hair in the pictures one can assume it's from early 1968-ish.

i don't recognize liz's dress either. it's quite nice. i'd assume it's joan's own dress as well. she strikes me as the sort of lady that was always "well turned out" as they used to say.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 05:44:25 AM »
I love when something like this comes around.  After almost 21 years in fandom I love when I find a gem like this! :) YAY! Thank you so much to my friends Gothick and MB for scanning and offering this! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:39:05 AM »
I saw an interview with Joan and Merv Griffin(?) and she looked wonderful in a cotton dress, yellowish in color if I recall correctly and her hair and make-up were flawless as usual.

In the pic of Jonathan and Joan, I can't help noticing the back of the stone fascade prop.  It looks kind of cool in the picture.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »
In the pic of Jonathan and Joan, I can't help noticing the back of the stone fascade prop.

I just checked a couple of the Barn and Julia versions from that shoot and you can't see the back because they're taken from a different angle. The Barn and Liz photo(s) was(were) probably rejected from being used as publicity because you could see the back. One would think the photographer might have noticed - but perhaps they were paying more attention to Jonathan Frid and Joan Bennett and didn't really notice the background...

But at least we've gotten to see it.  [santa_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
Yay!  Very happy to share these photos.  Excellent scans, MB!

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 09:06:14 AM »
I don't see why Barnabas can't have a stone bookcase...   [santa_wink]

Anyway, really would have loved to have seen the Frid/Bennett photo used for publicity, as they were the two credited stars (de facto for Frid with his first billing and all).  Shame they couldn't have touched it up a bit.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
One of the Frid/Grayson photos was used in the 1969 paperback, Barnabas Collins: a personal picture album, and underneath Jonathan wrote a caption that read something like "I was almost more scared of her than she was of me," which I always read as JF feeling intimidated by Grayson's Oscar nom and "Queen of Off Broadway" chops.

When I saw the photo, I presumed it wasn't used simply because in the storyline, Liz never knew Barnabas' secret.  A fan once wrote an article very thoughtfully and ingeniously elaborating his theory that Liz had learned "the secret" from Jamison and that she did know the truth about Barnabas, but she never let him--or anyone else--know that.  I found it a really fascinating lens through which to view Liz's scenes with Barnabas--particularly one memorable scene from 1967 where they're both standing at the top of Widow's Hill together, discussing life and death.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
I presumed it wasn't used simply because in the storyline, Liz never knew Barnabas' secret.

And sort of along that same line, I never understood why the Philadelphia Gum Co. felt the need to doctor this photo to add fangs in Barn's mouth:

But then they also doctored his eyes and outlined the trim on his coat and jacket. (And they did similar things in some of the other photos used for that pink card set.)

Somewhere around I have a version of that photo that's not doctored, but at the moment I have no idea where that is. Though I'm sure I'll come across it some day when I'm looking for something completely different.  [santa_wink]