Author Topic: Dark Shadows in our everyday life....  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows in our everyday life....
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2003, 06:04:37 AM »
Carol,
            I tend to go to a X-mass Tree in Shrewsbury, Ma.  Than again I have been seen in ones on the Cape, and one somewhere in Conn. near  Vernon.
             I wish I had time to clean any room in this house.  We won't mention how often I am sitting at the computer.  I wasn't kidding I need Willie to come help out.  Just not motivated coming in a 6:30 at night.  
             Oh well, a clean house is a sign of a mispent life.

Birdie--Don't you just love a bargain
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2003, 07:03:28 AM »
Carol,  The Christmas Tree shop sounds wonderful. I live in the Boscov area. Which store are you referring to? I've been to those in Scranton - Wilkes-Barre area and Reading. I'm not familiar with that shopping center. Is it near King of Prussia? This sounds like a store I've got to see!
                                           Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2003, 07:19:48 AM »
Carol,  I tend to go to a X-mass Tree in Shrewsbury, Ma.  Than again I have been seen in ones on the Cape, and one somewhere in Conn. near  Vernon.

This Xmas Tree store is the first in our area altho many of my friends have been aware of this store in Ma. for years and always raved about it.
 I wish I had time to clean any room in this house.
Hubby & I did some early spring cleaning right after New Year's when I took down Xmas stuff.  
We won't mention how often I am sitting at the computer.
At work or at home? My hubby wonders who I "talk" to online. When I tell him that I'm at my DS sites, he shuts up.
Oh well, a clean house is a sign of a mispent life.
Tell that to my hubby. He complains about all my stuff all over the house. I told him that I can't live in a museum.

Birdie--Don't you just love a bargain

Girlfriend and I had dinner tonight & we spent time wandering around our big mall, Crossgates. Bought a 100% cashmere sweater for $36 at T.J.Maxx. It is SOOOO soft.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2003, 07:30:11 AM »
Carol,  The Christmas Tree shop sounds wonderful. I live in the Boscov area. Which store are you referring to? I've been to those in Scranton - Wilkes-Barre area and Reading. I'm not familiar with that shopping center. Is it near King of Prussia? This sounds like a store I've got to see! Misty

My Boscov's is in Colonie Center in Albany, NY. It's the first one in area altho I had been in Boscov's years ago when they were in Jersey. We're slowing getting a variety of NY & Jersey stores up here. H&M opened over a year ago & Delia's(Junior clothes)this past summer. We've been to both of those stores in NYC. Would you believe we have a store called FCUK here, too! With that name, it does make you STOP & look.  
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2003, 10:41:19 AM »

My Boscov's is in Colonie Center in Albany, NY. It's the first one in area altho I had been in Boscov's years ago when they were in Jersey. We're slowing getting a variety of NY & Jersey stores up here. H&M opened over a year ago & Delia's(Junior clothes)this past summer. We've been to both of those stores in NYC. Would you believe we have a store called FCUK here, too! With that name, it does make you STOP & look.  

been shopping at The Christmas Tree for many a year < first one in Yarmouth on The Cape have to admit they used to be better but what hasn't?I bet that store
gets a second look carol!
jennifer
my brother lives about a mile from the Shrewsbury store Birdie miss calverts though!
and Castle bee most of am talk radio sounds Rev Traskie
IMHO also what is up with Bill O'Reilly and George Clooney!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2003, 04:09:44 PM »
Jennifer,  
               I miss Calverts too.  It amazes me we have probably crossed paths somewhere it time. I live about 25 minutes from Shrewsbury.  Today I am off with my friends to Solomon Pond Mall and lunch.  I don't need to spend anymore money.  He wonders why I get nothing done.  

Carol,
         Remember I have four children, two in college, he gave up on a museum a long time ago.
         Don't have the internet at work.  That is most likely a good thing. It would be far too tempting to do a little surfing.    The very young women I work with would never get DS.  They don't get any of my pop culture references.   I only work part time.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows in our everyday life....T
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2003, 01:50:30 AM »
Thanks, Carol. I didn't realize Boscov's had expanded that far. I remember shopping in the original store---a hole in the wall----in Reading,PA when shoes and dry goods were their specialties. I'll keep looking for the Christmas Shop---sounds great.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2003, 08:06:41 AM »
Birdie, I've been thinking on the exact same wavelength as your topic for the past few days ... maybe it has something to do with my just having purchased one of the Josette's Music Box replicas ...

Besides having the music box now, as well as a Barnabas ring (which just sits closed up in the box), I have a couple of other items that remind me of DS.  Both of these are placed on the very crowded top of a large oak bookcase I have with four glass doors.

One is a tall glass antique-style oil lamp I've had for some years.  I hoped to actually use it and thought it would cast a warm, comfortable glow, especially during the winter.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it.  The lamp oil I purchased was called "pure and odorless," but it still gave off fumes that really bothered me.  In the 19th century, my understanding is that the finest oil used was whale oil, which probably didn't have the irritating effects of kerosene (which is all that today's lamp oils are, though supposedly more refined).

The other item is a hand-crafted model ship from the East coast that was given to me when I was 10 by a distant cousin who was visiting from Europe. I mentioned this model ship once in the past and referred to it as a schooner (thought I'd try to get technical in my description), but my nautical knowledge is practically nil and I realize now that it isn't a schooner.  It looks exactly like the ship used in the movie "The Bounty" (the Mel Gibson version) and also like the one in the movie "Moby Dick" (the TNT version -- don't remember the ship from the original movie). Does anyone happen to know what kind of ship this might be a replica of?

Finally, when I was growing up my sister and I sometimes played on the grounds of a Jacobean-style mansion built in the early 1900s and situated on a lake shore. Although the exterior doesn't resemble Collinwood, there is a small 19th-century-era cemetary adjacent to the grounds that's enclosed by a wrought-iron fence. The interior of the mansion, which I've seen a couple of times, does remind me of Collinwood, with the dark carved wood paneling and stained glass windows on the landing.

Not to mention the fact that I came very close to moving into yet another "Collinwood" just a couple of weeks ago ... and the fact that there is still another house, even closer to where I now live, that is built in the same style as the Old House (albeit on a much smaller scale). It has the same white columns built around the circular rotunda (I know that's not the correct term but I can't think of what it's called -- similar to Monticello.) When I walk by, I often wonder if Barnabas is home and am tempted to go up and knock...

Midnite, did you have to rub it in about sitting outdoors in a tropical garden?!? :(

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2003, 08:37:36 AM »
Midnite, did you have to rub it in about sitting outdoors in a tropical garden?!? :(

Ulp. [woryb]

To make it up to you, Vlad, if you'd like a photo posted of the bookcase with the lamp and ship, just say the word.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2003, 08:44:10 AM »
Jennifer,  
               I miss Calverts too.  It amazes me we have probably crossed paths somewhere it time. I live about 25 minutes from Shrewsbury.  Today I am off with my friends to Solomon Pond Mall and lunch.  I don't need to spend anymore money.  He wonders why I get nothing done.  

Birdie

LOL Birdie we probably have crossed paths!hope we can meet at a fest i live right next door to Cambridge
think Steve is probably the poster here i live closest too
which is kinda fitting since we are such big Don fans!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2003, 06:27:19 PM »
Castle bee most of am talk radio sounds Rev Traskie IMHO also what is up with Bill O'Reilly and George Clooney!
Sorry - a little late responding to this...A.m. radio OH YEAH! Five minutes of Dr. Laura will either have you laughing or wanting to find her studio and choke her to death.  I don't make a habit of listening to her but I have a time or two out of curiosity - especially after the hysterical parody of her in that Frasier episode.  LOL!

I'm not familiar with O'Reilly enough to know what you meant jennifer and I hadn't heard anything about Clooney - what IS up with them?
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2003, 01:54:37 AM »
Vlad, if you'd like a photo posted of the bookcase with the lamp and ship, just say the word.

The photo in question is in said moderator's hands ... but I haven't exactly given her the go-ahead.  I'm not sure if it would make me feel overly "exposed"!  :0

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2003, 05:37:18 PM »
In response to daily reminders of DS...I have a picture of Grayson next to the home computer and at work, I have a picture of our dear Robin V. that brightens my day.  (Yes Sis, there's a picture of you over my computer.)  Now, if I could just get that stained glass block DS done....:) Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2003, 06:30:25 AM »
on Jan 23rd, 2003, 9:06pm, Vlad wrote:

Besides having the music box now, as well as a Barnabas ring (which just sits closed up in the box), I have a couple of other items that remind me of DS.  Both of these are placed on the very crowded top of a large oak bookcase I have with four glass doors.

One is a tall glass antique-style oil lamp I've had for some years.  I hoped to actually use it and thought it would cast a warm, comfortable glow, especially during the winter.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it.  The lamp oil I purchased was called "pure and odorless," but it still gave off fumes that really bothered me.  In the 19th century, my understanding is that the finest oil used was whale oil, which probably didn't have the irritating effects of kerosene (which is all that today's lamp oils are, though supposedly more refined).

The other item is a hand-crafted model ship from the East coast that was given to me when I was 10 by a distant cousin who was visiting from Europe. I mentioned this model ship once in the past and referred to it as a schooner (thought I'd try to get technical in my description), but my nautical knowledge is practically nil and I realize now that it isn't a schooner.  It looks exactly like the ship used in the movie "The Bounty" (the Mel Gibson version) and also like the one in the movie "Moby Dick" (the TNT version -- don't remember the ship from the original movie). Does anyone happen to know what kind of ship this might be a replica of?[/i]

--Vlad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2003, 06:56:11 AM »
I can't tell you what "kind" of ship the Bounty is, but I can tell you that I've seen the one that was built for the Marlon Brando version of the movie....up close and personal.

You'd be amazed how SMALL that ship actually is.  I can't imagine getting onto a ship of that size, knowing it was going to have to take us half way round the world.

It sails into Greenport Harbour on the extreme eastern tip of the North Fork of Long Island every so often....for festivals and special events.  I've seen it in port but never managed to catch it under sail.  Now THAT would be something!

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas