Author Topic: Dark Shadows in our everyday life....  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows in our everyday life....
« on: January 20, 2003, 04:44:10 PM »
Last night it struck me how often ever so slight reminders of the DS seem to enter my everyday life.  Yes, I am insane.  

Last night my brother in law called my front hall the foyer.  I had to bite my tongue.  Than in conversation with my sister I happen to say this person from our past nmed Billy gave me the Willie's.  Of course the famous scence and line popped into my mind.  I sat there laughing like a loon.  I am sure the rest of you have stories too.  

Hey, I am bored.   Trying not to do anything I should.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: Dark Shadows in our everyday life....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 07:30:43 PM »
Last night my brother in law called my front hall the foyer.  I had to bite my tongue.   

Birdie

Birdie, is that ONE example....or TWO?

[jester]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 10:11:52 PM »
Well Birdie I usually just drive people nuts (especially my sister ¢â‚¬Ëœcause it's SO much fun) with stuff like "Hey, that looks like Collinwood" or "I want to move to Collinwood" or "If I win the lottery I'm going to build a house that looks at least partly like Collinwood".  Then, of course, I also love spotting the actors in other films or TV shows and blurting out "Hey, did you know that he/she was on Dark Shadows!" Especially love spotting the lesser-known actors that the casual or non-fan (opposed to we "professionals") might recognize from other things but wouldn't know about the DS affiliation.  BTW: My sister - who I drug to NYC with me for the '01 fest has now become a John Karlen fan because he was so funny and nice to us when we got his autograph.  She now loves spotting him any and every time he pops up on TV.  But you know, he's so comparatively well known that I can't help inwardly smirking just a little and thinking - HA! Amateur!

Welllll now, we all have to have SOMETHING that makes us special!  
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 01:11:20 AM »
Last night it struck me how often ever so slight reminders of the DS seem to enter my everyday life.  Yes, I am insane.

Well, if you are (which I don't believe), you're  not alone, cuz I think it's inevitable that if you get 2 or more DS fans together, they're going to be references to DS. [lghg]

Bette and I met for lunch this past weekend at a public garden that sits between us, and it was such a gorgeous day (I'm not bragging [much [winkg]]) with the camelia forest in bloom that we decided to take the tram tour through the huge grounds, and in the more naturalized area along the route she commented on how it could be the woods around Collinwood (as opposed to the virtual woods with the wobbly trees and astroturf), and when we passed a gazebo in the rose garden I simply had to refer to it as the ga-zay-bo.  The fact that the people around us didn't understand obviously didn't matter, but we did have to limit our comments to pauses in the tour guide's speech. [coolg]

I also love spotting the actors in other films or TV shows and blurting out "Hey, did you know that he/she was on Dark Shadows!" Especially love spotting the lesser-known actors that the casual or non-fan (opposed to we "professionals") might recognize from other things but wouldn't know about the DS affiliation.

Oh me too.  The other day Gail Strickland appeared in something my family was watching, so of course I had to comment that she was torn apart by a werewolf in DS.  The kids are always impressed; hubby is immune to it. [smlyg]

BTW: My sister - who I drug to NYC with me for the '01 fest has now become a John Karlen fan because he was so funny and nice to us when we got his autograph.  She now loves spotting him any and every time he pops up on TV.  But you know, he's so comparatively well known that I can't help inwardly smirking just a little and thinking - HA! Amateur!

LOL

Ringo, if you see this, you mentioned the other day that you hadn't mastered quoting more than one post in your message.  For this one, I clicked Quote in Birdie's message, highlighted and copied what I needed, backed up, clicked Quote in CastleBee's message, pasted what was copied into that reply window, and replied to the passages I wanted to quote.  Sorry, but there's no easier way to do it.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 07:52:10 AM »
Oh, not a day goes by that something does not remind me of DS. These reminders can come from any source:  HAWAII FIVE-0, THE BRADY BUNCH, Superman cartoons.  It's a bit frightening, actually, the connections I make in my mind!  <lol>

Regards,

John

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 08:16:07 AM »
Midnite wrote:
Oh me too.  The other day Gail Strickland appeared in something my family was watching, so of course I had to comment that she was torn apart by a werewolf in DS.  The kids are always impressed; hubby is immune to it.

Me too!  I'm always pointing out the actor/actress in whatever we're watching together, that was on DS!  My hubby has come to expect it, er, dread it.  

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja ;)
[/shadow]
[/size]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 01:31:10 PM »
Oh yes, I can certainly relate to this!  I have this certain coat that I wear only in bitter cold weather that has pockets so big they're practically down to the floor. Well everytime I leave the house I usually have a million and one things to carry downstairs and I sometimes wish that God gave us three hands instead of two.  Well, here I am with both hands full of stuff and no more room to carry anything else so I decided to fill the rest of my things into those long deep pockets of mine and when I get downstairs my Mom says to me "you look like Magda the gyspy in that coat!"

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 03:31:31 AM »
I don't have to go far for daily reminders of DS. I have always been fascinated by the furniture used in both the Old House and the Big house. So through the years I've picked up some antique  and Gothic pieces that I use every day. I've even been able to find afghans and quilts similar to those I've seen on the show. My very favorite is a poster bedroom set ---------made in 1898 in Bavaria.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 03:48:35 AM »
I'm with you, Misty.....I ADORE Gothic style.  But you really have to have the right house for it.  It's hard to pull off in, say, a 50's ranch house!

Some of you are very familiar with the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown.  You all would have loved the original Transfiguration R.C. Church in the same town, which was torn down in the mid 1960's to make way for the current church.  

It was built in the mid-to-late 1800's in the epitomy of Victorian High Gothic style....dark stone, arched windows, tall graceful spires and a huge carved wood altarpiece.  If not for it's being consecrated ground, it would have made a PERFECT set for either of the DS movies.  Even after almost 40 years I can still close my eyes and recall that sharp scent of old wood and frankincense.

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 04:59:30 AM »
I love antiques.  Would love to get my hands on any number of things that they used as props on DS.  Funds in the pocket book seem to hold me back from so many dreams.  I tend to go for the more early american style.  I have noticed Victorian styles are coming back into vogue.  Anyone of you familiar with The Christmas Tree shops?  They have quite a few lamps with the glass prisms hanging from the shade.  

I bought two pewter candlesticks with glass globes to put on my fireplace.  My daughter said I was trying to have it look like the fire place in the old house.  In her next breathe can we light the candles?  I didn't put blue candles in them though.  

Birdie
Birdie--

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 05:42:43 AM »
 Anyone of you familiar with The Christmas Tree shops?  They have quite a few lamps with the glass prisms hanging from the shade.

Let's go shopping, Birdie! Just LOVE that store!
I bought two pewter candlesticks with glass globes to put on my fireplace.  My daughter said I was trying to have it look like the fire place in the old house.  In her next breathe can we light the candles?  I didn't put blue candles in them though.  Birdie

You'll just have to get Willie to put those blue candles in those candlesticks. I'm sure he must have a loose box laying around somewhere.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003, 05:43:44 PM »
    There is a "Reverend" in my area that seems to be a replica of the first Rev. Trask.  The newspaper refers to him as "so called" Reverend and "self-styled" Reverend whenever he causes a fuss about something.  Several years ago, he was going to have a bonfire in a public park to burn Harry Potter books but the town refused him a burn permit.  He ended up in the park anyway but just cut the books up.  There was a lot of people at the park to protest his group's message.  In fact,  there were quite a few librarians at the counter-protest.  I can only imagine what he would think of Dark Shadows.  The Reverend's most recent statement regarding another matter in the news was "I will stop protesting when everyone realizes I am right and they are wrong".  Reverend Trask would be so proud.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 09:07:29 PM »
There is a "Reverend" in my area that seems to be a replica of the first Rev. Trask.  The newspaper refers to him as "so called" Reverend and "self-styled" Reverend whenever he causes a fuss about something.

You know, I respect many people in the clergy I really do.  But I really believe that some people go into this line of work in lieu of a legitimate career in show biz...they seem so NEEDY for public attention.  For a wide and disgusting selection of neo-Trasks check out so-called Christian broadcasting at almost any given time during the day.  Sheesh, some of these characters could teach Trask how to be more Trask-like!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2003, 03:42:12 AM »
Carol,
         Anytime you are in MA. let me know.  You can come to the Chirstmas Tree with me anytime.  It is tradition to get beer and nacho's after shopping.  Would love to have Willie working around my house.  I need him this week.  Life is so out of control.  My oldest goes back to school on Friday.  The rest of my evenings are watching Basketball games.  My daughter is on two teams and my youngest on another.  

Birdie
Birdie--

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2003, 05:33:21 AM »
Carol,
         Anytime you are in MA. let me know.  You can come to the Chirstmas Tree with me anytime.  It is tradition to get beer and nacho's after shopping.
Our Xmas Tree Store is in Colonie Center next to Boscov's & I can spend a fortune in both!

Would love to have Willie working around my house.  I need him this week.  Life is so out of control.  My oldest goes back to school on Friday.  The rest of my evenings are watching Basketball games.  My daughter is on two teams and my youngest on another.   Birdie

Our daughter went back to college last Sat & I promptly cleaned her room. It's been nice to have house back to normal. I finally have time to myself again.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe