Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0113  (Read 1919 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0113
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:07:16 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0113
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:39:13 AM »
     WELCOME, HIDDEN ROOM BEHIND OLD HOUSE BOOKCASE!!!!  (I think this is its first apprearance.)

Strange to say it, but I think Matthew's being too "clever" here, returning to the Old House to hide.   Any random abandoned building elsewhere would be safer, but maybe you can't really find a definitely abandoned building when you want one... And where's his car?  Parked outside?  On the grounds?   Was that really his speeding car headed toward Coldwater?   Did he give it to a guy in exchange for speeding away from Collinsport?   How'd he get back to Collinwood then?   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:15 AM »
Rose Cottage not an option, I suppose
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:42:32 PM »
Mitch Ryan seems to have had a difficult time with his lines. But then this episode was shot on the day after Thanksgiving (according to the slate), so maybe he imbibed a little too much on Turkey Day instead of studying his lines.

Gee. It sure didn’t take Mrs. Johnson long to figure Roger out – “… he hides behind his sister’s skirts”.

I can picture Clarice Blackburn in some of Margaret Hamilton’s roles – the witch in the Wizard of Oz, the housekeeper in 13 Ghosts…

Footage of David running to the Old House. Very cool.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »
Rose Cottage not an option, I suppose

At this point, I don't think Rose Cottage was even in the mind of God, let alone the writers.

I also think this is the debut of the hidden room behind the Old House bookcase! We are slowly learning more about the Old House, although we haven't yet seen the staircase.

Bull's-eye by Mrs. Johnson about Roger--you go girl!

Later, Mrs. J. is back at Collinwood, pretending to be dusting and looking for something--some long-forgotten clue to the hit-and-run accident? David comes in and tells her about his ghost friends, hoping to scare her, but she is unfazed, even when he says that Josette told him she wouldn't leave until the third girl goes over the cliff at Widows' Hill.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
This episode was a bit of a letdown from the glories of yesterday's episode.

Strange to say it, but I think Matthew's being too "clever" here, returning to the Old House to hide.
Matthew went straight for the secret room, so I think the room is what made him decide the Old House was a good place to go.  I wondered, as he entered it, how he knew about it, and why he was so sure that nobody else knew about it.  Elizabeth plucked him out of his cannery job 18 years ago, if I remember correctly, so apparently he didn't grow up on the estate, with an older person showing him the ins and outs.  The Old House doesn't look as though Matthew ever took enough care of it so that he would come across the room accidentally.  Maybe a ghost showed him the room, in some roundabout way that would still leave Matthew in doubt as to whether supernatural agency was involved in his discovery - but why would a ghost want to do that?  Or maybe there was a dead animal in there that started to smell, prompting him to figure out how to get in there.

It struck me for the first time today that the secret room in the Old House is in roughly the same position as the secret panel that we've seen at Collinwood: walk into the house, turn left into the drawing room, and then turn right.  I suppose it's merely a matter of the logistics of how you design a set, but it started me thinking about the people who built both houses.  Maybe it just seemed natural to put a hidden something in that location.  At any rate, this new secret seemed to me more of a departure than when we saw the secret panel at Collinwood.  The Collinwood secret panel seemed like a one-off, but now my feeling is: there could be more!  The houses are becoming characters in their own right.

We are slowly learning more about the Old House, although we haven't yet seen the staircase.
We haven't?  I'll take your word for it.  So, in the area where we later see a staircase, there could be a wall with a door leading to another room.  Maybe a ballroom.  I'm always looking for a ballroom.

David said today, for the first time I think, that in his crystal ball he had seen his father bending over Bill Malloy's body.  David was talking to Burke, which raises the likelihood that David was telling the truth.  Sort of spooky - more so, to me, than David talking to Josette's portrait, because we don't know that the answers David claims to hear are for real.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
DL-- You mean I didn't welcome the secret room noisily enough at the top of the thread?!   We don't always read previous posts, I know I haven't always...   I think I'm ornery for medical reasons this morning.   I should appreciate you not complain... But stay tuned for a few more unnecessary and possibly incorrect complaints about this or that before I log off.   

I never notice the glaring absence of the Old House staircase until someone points it out to me!   Good catch!

Lydia-- As for Matthew knowing about the secret room, Liz said he knew the estate better than anyone else.   He's had 18 years to poke around.   I'm sure no one ordered him to clean up the Old House, but he could still go there.  I would have...   Yes, David's crystal ball has now been legitimized.   He did say earlier that it told him his father killed Malloy, now this is retold to make it possible that David really saw the vision, but misinterpreted.    Still, this could be David adjusting his lie to fit with recent news...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
DL-- You mean I didn't welcome the secret room noisily enough at the top of the thread?!   We don't always read previous posts, I know I haven't always...   I think I'm ornery for medical reasons this morning.

She apparently did see it because she was agreeing with you in her post; your eyes might have missed her "I also think."  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
She apparently did see it because she was agreeing with you in her post; your eyes might have missed her "I also think."  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks for pointing that out, Midnite.   Sorry, DL.  I may have just thought it was her way of saying "this is my next thought", or I may have just missed it.  It's scary, I've been missing obvious things lately.   Thanks about my feeling better, but I only just posted these posts... no time to get better yet.   I'm reacting horribly to an analgesic, yet keep having to put it into me.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »
Poor MT--don't worry, no offense taken! It's awful, isn't it, when one has to take meds that don't agree with one!

Lydia, I like your theory about the location of secret panels. Was it maybe Isaac who was the first Collins to emigrate? Did he prosper immediately and build the Old House himself, I wonder? Or did he have to live in some primitive log cabin with mud between the logs or maybe something even rougher? How did he treat the local native Americans? Did they have good relations through trade, or did they fight? It seems the only remaining trace of them is that someone we will meet a long time from now lives at 13 Arrowhead Road

That doesn't really anwer your question but it's always fun to speculate. I really should be working....

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »
Ooh, good thoughts, DarkLady.  Maybe Isaac had a secret room in his primitive log cabin so he could hide during Indian attacks, and it became a family tradition, for a few generations, that the Collins residence must have a secret room.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 07:02:02 PM »
 [clap] I like that idea, Lydia! Nothing like tradition, is there!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »
The exterior footage of Matthew walking to the Old House with lantern held high is replayed.  No worries about anyone spotting him with that beacon.  The bookcase takes the place of the louvered door that was there in an earlier episode and matched the one to the left of the fireplace. 
Mrs J comes to tell Burke about the goings on with Matthew.  Clarice has to feed Mitch his lines at one point he is so lost and I'm really annoyed.  He is good when he knows his line making Burke believable and then the next time he reads off the teleprompter and stumbles over lines and it all goes so wrong because he can be good.  They decide that Mrs. J will stay on to nail Roger.  David continues his infatuation with Burke, sees Mrs. J and suspects there is something going on with them. 
The episode ends with more exterior footage as David runs to the Old House and is grabbed by Matthew.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 02:32:30 AM »
It made no sense that Mrs. J would stay on just to help Burke with that manslaughter thing.   There are two plausible reasons for her to stay on, that they could have used:  they believe Matthew was acting under Roger's orders, or Mrs. J just needs the work.