Author Topic: Has Barnabas ever heard of a lock?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Has Barnabas ever heard of a lock?
« on: January 16, 2003, 11:51:59 PM »
It would seem that everyone's favorite vampire would make his life a lot less stressful if he would learn to lock his front door and the one that leads to the basement.  

Of course things don't often make sense on this show but you think the writers could address why the doors are never locked.

With such an important secret that he must keep from everyone it's completely illogical for him not to lock the door.  

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Has Barnabas ever heard of a lock?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 02:20:59 AM »
Well, sometimes he has and sometimes he hasn't. He has chastised Willy for not locking the door, you just can't get good help these days. And, of course, right now it would just be Magda's fault. I can see an argument for him being in the coffin while people are using his house, he can't control them while he is down for the day.

What I have wondered about even more, is why he would do the things he does with no curtains on the windows?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 04:24:55 AM »

What I have wondered about even more, is why he would do the things he does with no curtains on the windows?

Everybody sing:

"Now, there's Bobby Taylor sittin' there and seven times he's asked me for a date.
And Mrs. Taylor sure seems to use a lot of ice whenever he's away.
And Mr. Baker, can you tell us why your secretary had to leave this town?
And shouldn't widow Jones be told to keep her window shades all pulled completely down?"

Feeling a bit too caffeinated at the moment ;)

Anyhow, I would think that having been burnt several times now and in several different time periods, the man would invest in some new windows that were better glazed so that people standing five feet away from them outdoors couldn't hear conversations with ringing clarity. And maybe some locks for said windows and the doors. And then maybe for the cellar. And heck, maybe he could spend five minutes instructing his caretakers to lock everything up.

But heck, why go to that kind of trouble when you could just kill anyone who gets in where they shouldn't be?
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 06:09:00 AM »
Hey, should I tell you that I never lock the mudroom door.  My neighbors have called me at work to ask to borrow things and they are told just go through the garage and in through the mudroom.  Than again I don't have a coffin in the basement.  Also he might try hiding it somewhere different, maybe the attic?  

Birdie==who has also been know to go out and leave the front door open.  This drives the husband nuts.
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 06:21:55 AM »
Goddess, I wish I had a mudroom!!  The front door leads you right into the livingroom and the back door puts you squarely in the kitchen.  No matter how you get here, you're going to make a mess in my house if you show up when it's raining or snowing.

However, unless you figure out the secret of where the outside key is hidden, you'll never get in if we're not home.  Husband and daughter are fanatical about locking the place up like Fort Knox.  Drives me nuts when I'm working out in the garden and she keeps locking the back door on me!!!

It seems a useless exercise to me as I do not keep coffins, locked cells, walled-up bodies or hidden jewels anywhere in the basement.  Boring life I lead.

rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 05:32:39 PM »
wasn't his coffin just down the stairs too when you walked down the cellar stairs?  how long did it take him to think this was a bad idea. (unless you have a dog
like in Harry Potter guarding it!)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 05:33:52 PM »
Nowadays, locking up you own house like Fort Knox is a good thing.  I live in an apartment building and lock my door to go and get the mail, talk to a neighbor, or do the laundry in the basement.  I have my keys with me constantly.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 10:33:15 PM »
Everybody sing:

"Now, there's Bobby Taylor sittin' there and seven times he's asked me for a date.
And Mrs. Taylor sure seems to use a lot of ice whenever he's away.
And Mr. Baker, can you tell us why your secretary had to leave this town?
And shouldn't widow Jones be told to keep her window shades all pulled completely down?"

and it takes a train to cry.....

what the hell is a mudroom??  [is that like the Mud Club?]

And I think Matlock came on after DS went off the air, so Barn probably never heard of him.
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 04:30:19 AM »
wasn't his coffin just down the stairs too when you walked down the cellar stairs?  how long did it take him to think this was a bad idea. (unless you have a dog
like in Harry Potter guarding it!)

This part gets me too. During the black-and-white episodes when he was keeping Maggie hostage down in that dungeon cell, and she escaped, and he was following her around, it seemed as though the Old House Basement was positively cavernous. Now, all of a sudden, it's like there's just this one little room down there. Shouldn't he have hidden his coffin somewhere a little more secret?

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2003, 06:33:49 AM »
Ringo, were you serious when you asked what a mudroom was?  In theory it is a room where you leave your muddy shoes, coats, etc,etc, before entering the rest of the house.  We had this house built and as the barren waste land of the acre we own was once a sand pit.  A mudroom seemed like a very good idea.  The trees we have planted are just about above stick status and our water bill to get grass to grow here is like the national debt.  Hey, on the bright side no water in the basement.   I know you had a problem with that some time ago.  We did too at our first house.

Sorry this got so far off subject.  Do you think Collinwood had a mudroom off the kitchen for the staff.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth