Author Topic: Davis' Dirk.........  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Davis' Dirk.........
« on: January 16, 2003, 04:26:21 AM »
....must surely deserve a nomination for the single most irritating performance in the life of this show!  

I know....I don't have a clue what's still to come up ahead.  But PLEASE!!....tell me they don't get much worse than this!

If nothing else, at least we can point to the exact moment in film history to which Davis chose to give homage.  His entire performance is a twitch-by-howl rip off of Renfield, the spider-slobbering psychopath in the original Dracula.  Every move is pure immitation....the eye-popping, sing-songing, giggling dementedness...right down to the famous hair-raking.....is a performance worthy of a copy-right infringement law-suit.

He goes away soon.....right? ::)

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Davis' Dirk.........
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 04:49:57 AM »
A homage to Dwight Frye by way of Henry Fonda.

Very bad combination.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 08:02:08 AM »
have you seen Amanda harris , Hallie/Carrie or Morgan!
i find all of them more annoying to watch than any RD
role Heehee!
can't wait for Aristede! he has some "moments" too!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 02:51:47 AM »
That's funny, I thought his performance was ever so much more watchable than when he is being "romantic"! Or, God help us all, "brotherly"!

At least I could just laugh instead of wanting to find a time machine, go back and kill his mother for even THINKING about having sex with his father.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 04:30:14 AM »
have you seen Amanda harris , Hallie/Carrie or Morgan!
i find all of them more annoying to watch than any RD
role Heehee!
can't wait for Aristede! he has some "moments" too!

jennifer

I feel that I must come to the defense of Aristede.  I loved Michael Stroka's Aristede and even more so his later 'Bruno' in PT.   Actually, this Roger Davis role is the best of all his characterizations IMHO. To me, over the top acting and grand scene stealing is all part of DS's appeal.

I was watching some preBarnabas episodes recently from when the show first came on and the original cast member, Marc Allen(?) who played Sam Evans was fantastic.  His wild and wooly hair and somewhat unkempt appearance and expressive face were a delight to watch. He was perfect as the down and out, alcoholic artist.  It's too bad he didn't stay on the show longer.  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 04:39:30 AM »
Ah yes, Roger Davis as Dirk Wilkins.  Rumor has it that this memorable portrayal was the inspiration for the Doors' classic hit, "People  Are Strange."

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 05:40:20 PM »

I feel that I must come to the defense of Aristede.  I loved Michael Stroka's Aristede and even more so his later 'Bruno' in PT.   Actually, this Roger Davis role is the best of all his characterizations IMHO. To me, over the top acting and grand scene stealing is all part of DS's appeal.

I was watching some preBarnabas episodes recently from when the show first came on and the original cast member, Marc Allen(?) who played Sam Evans was fantastic.  His wild and wooly hair and somewhat unkempt appearance and expressive face were a delight to watch. He was perfect as the down and out, alcoholic artist.  It's too bad he didn't stay on the show longer.  

don't get me wrong Miss W. i like him too but he does tend to go over the top a few times Heehee. it's the other three named that make me run from the room!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV