Author Topic: Robservations 1/14/03 - #766-767 - Trouble in the Future, Trouble in the Present  (Read 4715 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
766 - (Gail Strickland) - Collinwood in the year 1897.  Quentin Collins, transformed by a gypsy's curse into a werewolf, has stalked and killed many victims.  But tonight, by the light of a full moon, it is he who is stalked, he who is hunted, he who may die.

Barnabas comes running over and demands of Magda, "What have you done, you fool?"  I killed him so my sister's children could escape the curse, explains Magda.  There is no escape for them now, or for you, either, he says harshly--"You deserve to die," says Barnabas, advancing on her to make good on his threat.  She reminds him, the silver bullets can finish you off, too.  They realize Quentin is still alive.  There's a chance, says Barnabas, if we can keep him alive until dawn--then Quentin will awaken, whole and well, but if this creature dies, then Quentin dies with him!  The creature moans in pain.

The werewolf lies on the sofa at the Old House.  Magda brings water and Barnabas holds a bloody rag he's already used to minister to the creature.  I think he'll be all right, says Magda--it's almost dawn.  It only takes a moment to die, and for the whole future to be destroyed in the hands of a gypsy, Barnabas reminds her, glaring at her.  I was crazy with worry about my sister's children, says Magda, in her defense, and I must be the one to help them, or there's no hope for them--Quentin is a werewolf for the rest of his life, and my sister's children carry the curse too--but I don't know any way out of all this, no answers!  The cock crows; it's beddy bye time for Barn.  He orders her, find a way--we must find it--we must find someone who can, and we can discuss it this evening.  I can't think of anything else, protests Magda. Use everything you have to keep this creature alive until dawn, orders Barn, and when he transforms, explain everything, tell him we want to help him.  It will take some explaining, says Magda--I can't believe it myself.  Quentin wants to believe there is some hope for him, says Barn.  And I want my sister to be alive and well, retorts Magda--we both have a good chance, don't we? she asks bitterly.  One more things, adds Barnabas--give me the gun.  He holds out his hand, demanding it now, and she takes it from her pocket and hands it over.  Where is the other bullet? He asks.
I lost it, Magda confesses.  How? Barn asks.  I had six, she says, but when I was loading the gun, there were only five.  Were you keeping it for an emergency? He asks--you aimed the gun at me once tonight, perhaps you were planning to do it again.  She looks away, saying no, I was scared and upset, I'm sorry--is it right to pray for a cursed thing like this?  "You cursed him," says Barn, "if his life is lost, so is yours."  He retires to bed on this threat.  Magda tells the werewolf, "Quentin Collins, the day you met my sister, all hope died for everybody."   She crosses herself and prays.  The creature comes to, vicious, and attempt to attack Magda, who holds out her pentagram.  The werewolf rises, knocking over a table, and runs from the house.

Dawn - The brown-eyed werewolf transforms into the blue-eyed Quentin Collins, whose shirt is once again bloody and torn.  Quentin stands, wondering, what have I done?  "No," he says miserably, "it's what HE'S done, it's not me, I can't help what happens."  He hears a woman sobbing and looks around.  Who is crying?--I promise not to hurt you.  (He looks so rugged and hunky in this disheveled state!)

Collinwood - Quentin returns home, still hearing the sobbing.  He sees the wrecked ghost of Dorcas Trilling standing before him.  "Murderer!" she accuses, even as he offers to get help for her.  He wipes his mouth as she keeps calling him that.  Stop! he says--everyone in the house will hear you and know!  He jumps forward to grab her, but she disappears, still calling him a murderer!

In his room, Quentin listens to his music, and, shaking, attempts to tie his tie.  The music stops suddenly.  He hears Dorcas, sees her, instead of himself, reflected in the mirror, calling him a murderer over and over.  NO! he cries.  Listen! he begs--I didn't do it, HE did. . .all right, I DID do it, but I had to, it was because of the curse! She keeps calling him the M-word.  He begs her to understand, I didn't want to hurt you, I didn't know I hurt you--can't you take pity?
Her face fills his mirror; she says, "The dead cannot have pity!  Murderer!"  Near tears, he begs her again to leave him alone, and turns his back on the mirror.  Judith knocks and comes in, asking him what's the matter.  "She's torturing me," he tells his sister--that girl in the mirror.  Judith looks, but says there's no girl in the mirror.  She's hiding, says Quentin, terrified, and will come out after you leave--I told her it wasn't my fault, but she wouldn't listen.  Like a little boy, Quentin begs his big sister, make her listen!  She seats him in his chair and tells him, there's no girl in this room.  She WAS here! says Q, I never saw her before, don't even know what she looks like!  What did she look like? asks Judith.  Q can't describe her, but she was awful.  He suddenly realizes who he's confessing to and becomes furious, ordering her to leave him alone and get out.  Why have you changed? Asks Judith--now you're sometimes as wild as an animal.  Just what do you mean by that? demands Quentin.  An animal snarls, fights, kills when it's cornered, she says, and that's what you've been acting like, as if you're cornered.  He pours a drink.  You won't find refuge in that, she says.  You make me sick, he says, you and your old main platitudes--LEAVE ME ALONE!--I'll drink when I want to drink.  He again hears Dorcas sobbing, but Judith doesn't.  Get out and stay out! He commands.  She does, quickly.  He slams the door and sits down, shaking, terrified.

Old House - dusk - The clock chimes 7 PM.  Magda is gazing at the cellar door as Barnabas comes out.  Where is Quentin? He asks.  She explains, he came to and tried to attack me, then ran out.  He grabs her arm--Why didn't you go after him?  "You took the gun," she reminds him--later I went to Collinwood--Quentin is all right, in his room getting drunk.  He knows nothing, then? asks Barn.  Yes, she says--I've been thinking and searching for an answer--I thought of someone who might help--an old woman who lived in the forests near Ahsjdin--she turned Count Petofi into a werewolf--she knew about everything--gypsies came from everywhere to consult with her.  She was an old woman when I was a child, says Barnabas, incredulous.  Yes, says Magda, but she had a daughter, Julianka, and if that daughter is alive, perhaps she has the knowledge--the problem is, the world is wide for the gypsies, so where might she be?  She is a member of the Romana family, and not long ago, there were some in Boston--King Johnny Romano was there, perhaps she is, too.  We must hope she isn't too far away, says Barn, we have no idea how much longer it will be before his destiny catches up with him--it could be tonight, tomorrow, anytime, we must act quickly.  Magda wants to go to Boston right away, but Barn wants to speak to Quentin first.  Magda says, I'm sorry for what's happened and wants him to know I wants the children to be healthy, well and free from the curse.  Probably remembering the baby's coffin he and Chris dug up, Barnabas looks away guiltily.  What's the matter? Asks magda--I got a cold feeling just now, as if you know something about the children I don't--something that's going to happen.  Avoiding her question, he advises, start packing for your long trip.  She stands, brooding.

Barnabas goes to see Quentin and tells him not to worry--there's no full moon tonight.  Quentin gazes at him suspiciously--how much do you know, and what are you doing here?  I thought you might need company--and assurance, answers Barn.  Of what? Asks Q suspiciously.  That the pain won't start, says Barn, you won't have a nightmare tonight.  Quentin denies knowing what he's talking about.  There's little time, says Barnabas, we shouldn't waste it pretending.  Quentin pours a big drink.  I know what's happened to you, says Barnabas, and I'm here to help.   Quentin calls his cousin "fanciful."  You're foolish to deny the truth to me, says Barnabas--you don't realize that I'm your only chance to end the curse.
Quentin's head swings around, and in a dangerous voice, asks, "How did you find out about me?"  I can't tell you that, says Barnabas, but I can say I'm here to help end it.  I thought when a gypsy places a curse, there's no way of ending it, says Quentin.  I think there might be a way I can help you, says Barn.  Is this hand of friendship you're extending contain a knife, waiting to dig even deeper? Asks Quentin.  No knife, says Barnabas.  How do I know that? demands Q--are you here to commit treachery against me?  No, says Barn.  I don't believe you and I'm tired of listening to you, says Quentin--get out and leave me alone.  To do what--wait for the next full moon? challenges Barnabas.  That's none of your business, says Q.  It is, says Barn, although I can't tell him why.  Quentin asks again how Barn found out, and again, Barn insists he can't reveal his source.  Then you'd better go, says Q--right now.  Then what happens to you? asks Barn.  I'll take care of myself. Says Q.  How? asks Barn--how will you take care of yourself next time, and all the times after that?  Quentin drinks.  Barnabas continues, relentlessly--how will you take care of yourself as the world begins to move in on you, as more and more people learn what you are and start hunting you down?--answer these questions and I'll leave.  I'm not entirely ignorant of supernatural matters. Says Quentin.  I'm sure you've tried everything you can, says Barnabas, but obviously, none of it has worked.  I intend to keep on trying, Quentin assures him.  And I will keep trying with you! says Barnabas.  This offer is very unlike you, says Q, I wish I could understand it.  There are many people dear to me, whose lives are at stake, explains Barnabas, and their lives depend on you.  Quentin grins--a very suitably veiled answer, he says, more in keeping with my mysterious cousin's character than concern--at least, concern for me.  It's all I can give, says Barn.  All right, says Quentin--what are your his plans?--do you know of a way to end the curse?  Not at the moment, admits Barnabas, but there are ways to end these curses--there was a Frenchman in the 15th who lived as a werewolf, and he died but was buried in sacred ground and wasn't cursed when he died--there are other cases in which curses have been ended, says Barn.  How? demands Q.  We will find that out, promises Barnabas, and I've taken steps in that direction--a gypsy Magda is searching for--she's gone to Boston, and when I learn something, I'll tell you. (He puts a hand on Quentin's shoulder to comfort him.)   The latter is understandably unhappy to learn he must depend on Magda right now.  Barnabas starts to leave, but Quentin stops him:  "Barnabas!  If you find out I'm going to be like this always, promise me something.  Promise me that you'll shoot me through the heart some lovely, moonlight night." Quentin tosses the glass to the floor, shattering it.

Judith exits the drawing room and asks to speak to a departing Barnabas.  He says he has business at the Old House, but she asks him to stay--something urgent has happened that  disturbed Jamison very much.  You know so much about the family, says Judith--who everybody is and was, and perhaps you must recognize the name:  David Collins--who is he?  Barnabas, shocked, asks for more details.  Jamison awoke from a dream a few minutes ago, screaming, she says.  Screaming what? asks Barn.  "David Collins is dead!" replies Judith. "David Collins is dead!"
Barnabas stands stock still, eyes wide.  Oh, no!

NOTES:  Loved the scenes in which Dorcas haunted Quentin.  Selby turned in superb performances, and the heart to heart between him and Barnabas was really good.  I think Quentin would have been distressed to learn not just from whom Barnabas got his information, but how--Barnabas kind of moved in on his woman!  Terry Crawford was wonderful, too, and even as Barnabas' victim, her heart belongs only to Quentin!

Magda's desire to find a way to protect her niece and nephew is so sad, and you can see how torn she is.  She wants Quentin to stay cursed for killing Jenny, and thought by killing him, she could somehow save them, but that isn't the way it works--why did Barnabas know that and not Magda, who placed the curse?  Didn't she do her homework?

David Collins is dead?  That's bad news, sounds like Barnabas is failing in his efforts to save the Collins heir.

767 - (Nancy Barrett) - Collinwood in the year 1897.  A boy wakens in terror from a dream, and suddenly, for Barnabas Collins, there is a frightening reminder of the present, and his desperate reason for going back into the past.

Barnabas asks Judith if he's sure she heard right.  She notes Barnabas' upset expression and says, I think you know who David Collins is, even though there's no mention of him in the family history.  Barnabas walks away from her.  Is David is another of the family's secrets? She asks,  something he did kept hidden?  No, says Barnabas, none of the above, but I must speak to Jamison to find out more.  He asks Judith to awaken the boy; this could be very important.  She agrees and goes upstairs.  Quentin joins Barnabas in the drawing room, wondering why he's still here--you said you were returning to the Old House to send Magda to Boston.  Something has happened to Jamison, says Barn, and I want to talk to him.  Quentin remarks, you make everyone in the family part of your business.  I'm not sure how we managed without you--what's upsetting Jamison?  A nightmare, says Barnabas--not surprising, considering what he's been through.  I find your attitude toward the family very disturbing, says Quentin. (gee, I think it's kind and concerned.)  Why? asks Barn.  It's as if you were watching all of us under a microscope, all of us subjects for you, answers Q--I have the feeling there are two Barnabas', one walking, talking, moving among us, the other living an entirely different life.  Barn assures him there's only one BC.  And you're following some plan that has nothing to do with any of us, retorts Quentin, angry now.  Barnabas tells him, you're building things up in your mind that don't exist; I simply want to help Jamison.  Why you and not me? asks Quentin, suggesting Barnabas go about his business of helping him.  You won't believe this, says Barn, but my helping Jamison IS deeply involved with you.  I getting confused, complains Quentin--remember your promise to help me because my destiny is tied in with people you care about--who are these people?  (They both looked very good reflected over that lamp.)  Jamison, replies Barn, and as for the others, their names would have no meaning to you.  Quentin wants to know more about these mysterious people--and more about you, Cousin, too--I consider it right that I know more about you, since I'm supposed to trust my life to you.  This kind of questioning is senseless right now, insists Barn.  Not for me, says Q.  Judith and Jamison enter.  Barnabas asks to speak with Jamison alone, but Quentin wants to hear about it, too.  Judith orders her brother to leave as Barn requested.  Oh, says Quentin, have you fallen into the habit of utter compliance with the cousin's wishes, too?--my, now, Barnabas, what is this strange power you seem to hold over all of us?  "Leave the room!" orders Judith, furious.  Yes, your Majesty, says Q, bowing sarcastically, and leaves.  Barn promises to speak to Judith after he's spoken to Jamison.  They sit down.  Barn asks about Jamison's dream.  Even the awful parts? asks Jamison.
Yes, says Barn, since it could be a matter of life and death.  Jamison's eyes widen with fear.

Life and death for who? asks Jamison.  I must hear of the dream, says Barn.  It began in the cellar of the Old House, says Jamison--I to play there before you moved in--this was different. . .  We see Jamison walking downstairs into the cellar, where he spots Barnabas, sitting in his I-Ching trance.  He tries to wake him up.  There are puppets talking to each other.  One tells the other it's ridiculous.  The other voice, a man, says to stop playing with that and listen to me.  We see Carolyn with a puppet on her hand, and she repeats that it's ridiculous, having a party for him.  Roger reminds her it's his birthday; Carolyn says birthdays are for people who get older.  Roger admires the table, set for the party, pointy hats and all, and says he'll be pleased with the presents they've given him.  It isn't for him, says Carolyn, but for me, to keep me company when David's gone.  Roger orders her to be quiet, but she says you can't keep it from him, he'll find out sooner or later.  Roger forbids her to talk like that.  Carolyn mimics him with the puppet (which strongly resembles Minerva Trask).  She laughs, calling Uncle Roger a fool.  They must not ever let him know, says Roger.  Carolyn says he must know sooner or later, and makes her puppet say Yes over and over, teasing him with it, running it up his arm.  He orders her to be quiet, they're coming.  Elizabeth helps a very weak David downstairs, into the drawing room, onto a chair at the party table.  They sing "Happy Birthday" to him (what?  DC paid for the rights?)  David thanks them, and they all sit down at the table.  Carolyn tells him to think of it as four happy birthday's all in one.  Roger orders her to be quiet; she doesn't want him to know, does she?  Know what? demands David.  Liz tells him it's nothing, and suggests he looks at the lovely cake.  She suggests he start cutting it, but he says Barnabas and Quentin aren't here.  Carolyn tells him Barnabas can't be here--he sent his regrets.  Will he come to my next birthday? Asks David.  Roger and Carolyn exchange sad glances.  Liz says they should get to the cake.  What about Quentin? asks David.  Roger doesn't know him, so Liz tells him to look him up.  Roger takes the family history tome and looks for Quentin, but can't find anyone of that name.  But you know Quentin, says David.  I can't find him listed, says Roger.  Liz again suggests the cake.  Carolyn makes her puppet say I'm hungry, hungry hungry--"starving to death!"  Roger orders her to stop talking that way.  Why? asks David.  It's a surprise party, Liz reveals.  Playfully, Carolyn says she knows what the surprise is.  What? asks David.  The puppet says it's forbidden.  David is frightened.  Liz says she had the cake made especially for him.
Quentin is suddenly standing there.  David says, Quentin, you've come!  Quentin, bathed in green light, grins.  None of the others besides David can see him, however.  He's here, insists David.  Liz says we're the only ones here.  And one of us isn't going to be around much longer, hints Carolyn's puppet.  Quentin IS here, insists David.  He isn't listed, says Roger.  Carolyn advises them to light the candles, there isn't much time left.  "Carolyn!" objects Roger.  David asks Quentin to sit at the table--I knew you'd come to my birthday--I knew Quentin wouldn't miss it--why can't you see him?  Carolyn lights the candles on the cake.  David says the number of candles is wrong.  There are 12, says Roger.  What about the extra one to grow on? asks David.  Oh, well, says Roger.  (LOL!)  Liz says they decided to dispense with that silly custom this year.  Let next year take care of itself, says Carolyn.  David asks if Barnabas will come to his next birthday.  Liz says it's hard to make plans in advance, so many things to do.  Carolyn finishes lighting the candles, but David doesn't want to blow them out--it will be so cold once the candles are blown out.  Liz calls this silly.  David says, I'm frightened.  Carolyn asks of what.   Roger forbids her to ask that.  Liz encourages him to be a little man and blow out the candles.  Carolyn tells him to close his eyes and make a wish.  David asks if he can wish anything he wants.  Almost anything, giggles Carolyn.  David closes his eyes, makes his wish and blows out all the candles, taking several breaths.  He looks up, but everyone is gone.  He's upset--I told them I didn't want to blow out the candles!--I told them I was afraid to be left alone in the dark.  Quentin assures him, I'm still here.  Oh, Quentin, says David.  Quentin says, I'll never leave you, even after it's all over.  After what's all over? asks David.  Your life, replies Quentin.  He won't even leave him after he dies.  David says, I won't die for a very long time, I'm a young boy.  A dying boy, counters Quentin--no one else would tell you that, but you have a right to know.  Why did they all go away? asks David.  The look of death makes the living very uncomfortable, David--I learned that, you will, too, says Quentin.  I don't understand, says David.  Why couldn't they see me? asks Quentin--it's because I'm dead, and soon you will be, too.  David, supporting himself on the chairs, walks away.  "I don't want to die!" he cries.  Quentin assures him it will be quick and painless, over before you know it--like your short, little life.  Will they miss me? asks David forlornly.  For a little while, answers Quentin--but after a time, they'll get over it.  And I'll be all alone, says David sadly.  No, says Quentin, you won't be, you'll be with me--you'll like that, won't you David?  Yes, says the child, but "I don't want to die!" No one does, says Q, but you can't pick and choose; I didn't want to die, either, but I had to.  Why? asks David.  Three things happened, says Quentin, of many, and if I could have changed any one of them, or known what they meant while they were happening, perhaps I wouldn't have died when I did die.  What three things? asks David.  The first was the discovery of a silver bullet at Collinwood, says Quentin; then the one person who could have helped me, kept me alive, was murdered (he won't tell David who); the third thing was the worst--the one person in this world I truly loved turned against me--after that happened, there was practically no time left for Quentin Collins.  I'm so frightened, says David.  Don't be, says Quentin--it won't be so bad--why don't we sit down and eat the cake?  Quentin starts to cut into it, putting a slice on David's plate.  David realizes it's made of Styrofoam--it isn't real, it's a make believe cake for a make believe birthday!  Make the most of it, advises Quentin, because it's the last one you're ever going to have!  Carolyn's puppet sings Happy Birthday to David again.  Then, says Jamison, when the singing was finished, David Collins was dead--I woke up screaming because it was so frightening.  That was the whole dream? asks Barn. Yes, says Jamison, except for one other thing--everyone was so strangely dressed, except for Quentin, he was dead in my dream--why?  No one can answer all the questions in a dream, says Barnabas.  I think you can, says Jamison.  The vampire says, I can understand some of it.  Jamison accusingly says, I think you can answer ALL the questions--"You know!" says Jamison.

Charity has come to visit Judith.  As Quentin nervously pours himself a brandy, Charity tells Judith how grateful Rev. Trask is that she was spared that night. Others weren't as fortunate, says Judith.  It's chilling to think about the creature killing others, night after night, remarks Charity.  Quentin, brandy glass shaking in his hand, looks guilty.  It must stop, says Judith, I feel the sheriff should search day and night until it's caught--and I plan to offer a large reward to the person who shoots the creature dead.  That's a wonderful idea, praises Charity.  I also want to set up a scholarship fund in Dorcas Trilling's name, adds Judith.  My father will be so pleased, says Charity--he was fond of Dorcas, and when I think of her poor, bloody, mangled body. . .  Quentin tosses his brandy glass into the fireplace in a fury, making Charity gasp and Judith yell at him.  "You make me sick!" he screams, "talking about blood, killing and murder--he's an animal who doesn't know what he's doing--and you," he says to Judith, "offering a reward, are just as bloodthirsty as he is."  Judith catches the "he," reference to the creature.  Quentin pours another drink--it's an animal, that's all, he says, that's what we are discussing.  Judith forbids him to have another drink.  Quentin bursts into wild laughter and to Charity says, "Have your father give my sister another gold star for her record--she'll buy that seat in heaven yet!"  Barnabas enters and tells Judith Jamison is in bed--I want a word with you.  I want to discuss it here, insists Q, I want to hear what Barnabas has to say.  David Collins doesn't exist, explains Barnabas, but is someone Jamison has created to act out what's troubling him--his fear of death (a recreation of what happened to his mother)
--in his dream, Jamison saw people dressed in funny clothes, as if in a masquerade--a disguise for what he's thinking and feeling through the medium of this dream-- nothing to do with reality, but a clue as to what's happening in his mind.  Judith thanks Barnabas for talking to Jamison, who was very upset--I want to look in on him.  Edward comes in; Judith notices he looks troubled.  I found what I thought at first was a coin on the path, says Edward--but it's a bullet.  He hands it to his sister and adds, "A silver bullet.  Judith wonders what someone would want with it.
Barnabas recalls the events Quentin outlined in Jamison's dream, the first being the discovery of a silver bullet at Collinwood!

NOTES:  One down, two to go!  What a bizarre dream David had!  Scary in so many ways, campy, too.  Why the puppet?  No surprise it was written by Violet Welles, the Dream Queen of DS.

So much going on here--the dream, Barnabas' intrusion in nearly everything having to do with the family, his smooth cover-up of explaining away Jamison's nightmare and the mysterious David Collins.

Quentin defends the creature, surely puzzling Judith and Charity, but he knows the whole truth, so of course he's going to do his best to defend his own murderous actions.  For once in his life, he has a good excuse for doing wicked things, and he's not the type to play noble--he uses his excuse!

Love, Robin

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
 They sing "Happy Birthday" to him (what?  DC paid for the rights?)  

LOL, that didn't even register on me while I was watching.  Good point, Robin!  Now I'm curious...if Curtis ever does another Q&A chat, it might be interesting to ask how he managed to get away with this.

ProfStokes

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
I loved the dream! IMO it was one of the best dreams on the series. Even though it was only a dream, I liked seeing the old present time characters again.

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
I forgot to set my tape that day so it looks like i missed out some good episodes. Robin, Do you have any pictures of the dream? It would be great if you could post some.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
I forgot to set my tape
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 04:09:53 PM »
DStoDA wrote:
I forgot to set my tape that day so it looks like i missed out some good episodes. Robin, Do you have any pictures of the dream? It would be great if you could post some.

I'm sorry, I don't have the capability of doing screen captures, but perhaps MB or Dom will oblige us?  I know that the previous day's montage had a few segments from the dream.

Love, Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Do you have any pictures of the dream? It would be great if you could post some.

Enjoy! [wink2]

>>I must hear of the dream, says Barn.  It began in the cellar of the Old House, says Jamison--I to play there before you moved in--this was different. . .  We see Jamison walking downstairs into the cellar,<<
>>where he spots Barnabas, sitting in his I-Ching trance.  He tries to wake him up.  There are puppets talking to each other.  One tells the other it's ridiculous.  The other voice, a man, says to stop playing with that and listen to me.  We see Carolyn with a puppet on her hand, and she repeats that it's ridiculous, having a party for him.<<
>>Roger reminds her it's his birthday; Carolyn says birthdays are for people who get older.  Roger admires the table, set for the party, pointy hats and all, and says he'll be pleased with the presents they've given him.  It isn't for him, says Carolyn, but for me, to keep me company when David's gone.  Roger orders her to be quiet, but she says you can't keep it from him, he'll find out sooner or later.  Roger forbids her to talk like that.<<
>>Carolyn mimics him with the puppet (which strongly resembles Minerva Trask).  She laughs, calling Uncle Roger a fool.  They must not ever let him know, says Roger.  Carolyn says he must know sooner or later, and makes her puppet say Yes over and over, teasing him with it, running it up his arm.  He orders her to be quiet, they're coming.<<
>>Elizabeth helps a very weak David downstairs, into the drawing room, onto a chair at the party table.  They sing "Happy Birthday" to him (what?  DC paid for the rights?)<<
>>David thanks them, and they all sit down at the table.  Carolyn tells him to think of it as four happy birthday's all in one.  Roger orders her to be quiet; she doesn't want him to know, does she?  Know what? demands David.  Liz tells him it's nothing, and suggests he looks at the lovely cake.  She suggests he start cutting it, but he says Barnabas and Quentin aren't here.  Carolyn tells him Barnabas can't be here--he sent his regrets.  Will he come to my next birthday? Asks David.<<
>>Roger and Carolyn exchange sad glances.  Liz says they should get to the cake.  What about Quentin? asks David.  Roger doesn't know him, so Liz tells him to look him up.<<
>>Roger takes the family history tome and looks for Quentin, but can't find anyone of that name.  But you know Quentin, says David.  I can't find him listed, says Roger.  Liz again suggests the cake.  Carolyn makes her puppet say I'm hungry, hungry hungry??starving to death!?  Roger orders her to stop talking that way.  Why? asks David.  It' a surprise party, Liz reveals.<<
>>Playfully, Carolyn says she knows what the surprise is.  What? asks David.  The puppet says it's forbidden.  David is frightened.  Liz says she had the cake made especially for him.  Quentin is suddenly standing there.  David says, Quentin, you've come!  Quentin, bathed in green light, grins.<<
>>None of the others besides David can see him, however.  He's here, insists David.  Liz says we're the only ones here.  And one of us isn't going to be around much longer, hints Carolyn's puppet.  Quentin IS here, insists David.  He isn't listed, says Roger.  Carolyn advises them to light the candles, there isn't much time left.  "Carolyn!" objects Roger.  David asks Quentin to sit at the table-I knew you'd come to my birthday--I knew Quentin wouldn't miss it--why can't you see him?  Carolyn lights the candles on the cake.  David says the number of candles is wrong.  There are 12, says Roger.  What about the extra one to grow on? asks David.  Oh, well, says Roger.  (LOL!)  Liz says they decided to dispense with that silly custom this year.  Let next year take care of itself, says Carolyn.  David asks if Barnabas will come to his next birthday.  Liz says it's hard to make plans in advance, so many things to do.<<
>>Carolyn finishes lighting the candles, but David doesn't want to blow them out-it will be so cold once the candles are blown out.  Liz calls this silly.  David says, I'm frightened.  Carolyn asks of what.   Roger forbids her to ask that.  Liz encourages him to be a little man and blow out the candles.  Carolyn tells him to close his eyes and make a wish.  David asks if he can wish anything he wants.  Almost anything, giggles Carolyn.  David closes his eyes, makes his wish and blows out all the candles, taking several breaths.  He looks up, but everyone is gone.<<
>>He's upset-I told them I didn't want to blow out the candles!--I told them I was afraid to be left alone in the dark.  Quentin assures him, I'm still here.  Oh, Quentin, says David.  Quentin says, I'll never leave you, even after it's all over.  After what's all over? asks David.  Your life, replies Quentin.  He won't even leave him after he dies.  David says, I won't die for a very long time, I'm a young boy.  A dying boy, counters Quentin--no one else would tell you that, but you have a right to know.  Why did they all go away? asks David.<<
>>The look of death makes the living very uncomfortable, David-I learned that, you will, too, says Quentin.  I don't understand, says David.  Why couldn't they see me? asks Quentin-it's because I'm dead, and soon you will be, too.  David, supporting himself on the chairs, walks away.  "I don't want to die!" he cries.  Quentin assures him it will be quick and painless, over before you know it-like your short, little life.  Will they miss me? asks David forlornly.<<
>>For a little while, answers Quentin--but after a time, they'll get over it.  And I'll be all alone, says David sadly.  No, says Quentin, you won't be, you'll be with me-you'll like that, won't you David?  Yes, says the child, but "I don't want to die!" No one does, says Q, but you can't pick and choose; I didn't want to die, either, but I had to.  Why? asks David.  Three things happened, says Quentin, of many, and if I could have changed any one of them, or known what they meant while they were happening, perhaps I wouldn't have died when I did die.  What three things? asks David.<<
>>The first was the discovery of a silver bullet at Collinwood, says Quentin; then the one person who could have helped me, kept me alive, was murdered (he won't tell David who); the third thing was the worst-the one person in this world I truly loved turned against me--after that happened, there was practically no time left for Quentin Collins.  I'm so frightened, says David.  Don't be, says Quentin--it won't be so bad--why don't we sit down and eat the cake?<<
>>Quentin starts to cut into it, putting a slice on David's plate.<<
>>David realizes it's made of Styrofoam-it isn't real, it's a make believe cake for a make believe birthday!<<
>>Make the most of it, advises Quentin, because it's the last one you're ever going to have!  Carolyn's puppet sings Happy Birthday to David again.<<
>>Then, says Jamison, when the singing was finished, David Collins was dead--I woke up screaming because it was so frightening.<<

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
Thank you so much, MB, these were marvelous!  This was the very creepiest dream in DS' history, and caused me a few bad dreams of my own when it was first shown.

GREAT job!

Love, Robin

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
Were there pictures here at one time? Now there's only the story repeated.

Also I think that Happy Birthday may not have a copyright anymore, but of course I could be wrong.

Misa

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Were there pictures here at one time? Now there's only the story repeated.

At one time there were 27 screen captures from the dream, but apparently they weren't transferred when the forum changed hosts.  :(

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I see the picture frames, but they're 'x' d and didn't come through. Can you upload them again? This was one of DS's most interesting and skillfully created dream sequences.  Thanks.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Robservations 1/14/03 - #766-767 - Trouble in the Future, Trouble in the Pre
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 05:47:03 AM »
Also I think that Happy Birthday may not have a copyright anymore, but of course I could be wrong.

I would say Happy Bday was public domain...even then!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 1/14/03 - #766-767 - Trouble in the Future, Trouble in the Pre
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
No, time and time again I see the credit for Happy Birthday at the end of a movie.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »
Unfortunately, the screen captures that were originally posted in this topic were lost during the host change that I referred to in reply #8. We no longer have them to upload.  [ghost_sad]