Author Topic: Off-topc: OLTL ending  (Read 672 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Off-topc: OLTL ending
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:16:54 AM »
I can't believe that I am having almost the same feelings I had 40 years ago, after having learned that DS was being cancelled, about the OLTL ending.  I mean, I am watching OLTL and knowing that it will be ending, but, just as with DS, I can't quite  believe it.  I remember when, in the next to last episode of DS, Catherine was suddenly possessed by Amanda, I went into the kitchen and said to my Mother (FYI, I was 14 years old then) "how CAN they end [DS] tomorrow when she's been possessed" (or something to that effect).. Well, after the commercial, I got my answer.  lol.  But with OLTL, which I have watched since 1992 (nearly 4 times as long as I watched DS), this is even more disturbing.  Oh well, I can only hope Prospect Park pulls OLTL off on the 'net.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Off-topc: OLTL ending
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:12:33 AM »
Me too! Got hooked on the show early on--it was on right before DS. And I have followed off and on ever since. There was always a hint of DS in it, especially when Sam and Gordon were writing it. Plenty of DS alumni appeared on the show as well. James Storm was an original cast member. Nancy Barrett, Anthony George, Clarice Blackburn, Marie Wallace and Lara Parker all appeared over the years. At one point the local church was St. Barnabas. A true classic show and I will miss it terribly
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:37:33 AM »
I was an infant when DS when off, so it never was canceled for me in that way. I've been watching OLTL since the mid 80s and  I am sad to see it go, although it's best years have long passed. Still, after a quarter of a century of watching, I am very invested in many of the characters. The online continuation has been canceled for both OLTL and AMC.
Roy Thinnes was also a regular on OLTL for awhile, and while they were more grounded in reality than DS, they had more than their fair share of out there stories, with two time travel stories with the cast playing other characters, two trips to Heaven, and a secret underground city Eterna built with a cult formed around hiding stolen Nazi gold, as well as a mother and daughter who both had multiple personalities.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
I remember a couple of "Easter eggs" that Sam and Gordon must have put there for any DS fans who might have been watching. In one, Brad Vernon went to the race track. While Brad's scene played out, you could hear the call of the race in the background. The name of the horse that won the race? Count Petofi!

The other took place on the Daisy awards. Megan Gordon was a soap opera actress who had been nominated for the equivalent of a daytime Emmy. Her nemesis and only serious competition was the amusingly named Spring Skye. When they showed a clip of her work, it was a scene that was a recreation of the Dream Curse! After the clip was over, a very smug Spring said to herself, "Now that's what I call acting." Indeed. Alas, Megan won the award, leaving Spring to commiserate with Susan Lucci, no doubt
Fade Away and Radiate